Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,276 members, 7,887,801 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:04 PM

Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? (1743 Views)

Why Is Igbo Language Going Extinct? / Within Our Life-time, The Yoruba Race/tribe Will Become Extinct In Nigeria / Vulture ‘Delivers’ Letter To Akwa Ibom Monarch To Quit Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by malificent(f): 9:02am On May 28, 2018
I was in a discussion with some persons yesterday and the topic arose. Where are the vultures that hover in droves whenever there's a fresh kill? These carrion eaters used to be a common sight at abbatoirs and ceremonies where cows and goats are slaughtered.

Now I can't even remember the last time I saw one. Have they been hunted to extinction? Did the increased demand of these birds and their eggs for ritualistic purposes wipe them out? Or people ate them? I was raised to believe eating vulture meat was a taboo. You'll die with your stomach bloated the next morning. Or the mallams selling chicken suya are responsible? Cause when the feet and head of these birds are removed, I doubt people can actually tell they're eating vultures.

When was the last time you saw a vulture?

3 Likes

Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by orbgoblin: 9:41am On May 28, 2018
loss of habitat and certain drugs used on the cattle who's remains they feed on at the abbatiors could be a possible cause. like in India they are almost extinct cos of use of declofenac as a pain relief for cattle. when they feed from the remains of such cattle they die cos the drug is toxic to them and this leads fatalities.

2 Likes

Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by drstrange12(m): 12:24am On Jun 05, 2018
malificent:
I was in a discussion with some persons yesterday and the topic arose. Where are the vultures that hover in droves whenever there's a fresh kill? These carrion eaters used to be a common sight at abbatoirs and ceremonies where cows and goats are slaughtered.

Now I can't even remember the last time I saw one. Have they been hunted to extinction? Did the increased demand of these birds and their eggs for ritualistic purposes wipe them out? Or people ate them? I was raised to believe eating vulture meat was a taboo. You'll die with your stomach bloated the next morning. Or the mallams selling chicken suya are responsible? Cause when the feet and head of these birds are removed, I doubt people can actually tell they're eating vultures.

they aint extinct yet, still saw their crew circling up in the sky like say they are doing round the chair game, i was in a bus in ondo state going along owo road to ipele town....
something died along that road hence the display of sky rounding or watever they call it

3 Likes

Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by Tochex101(m): 6:52am On Jun 06, 2018
orbgoblin:
loss of habitat and certain drugs used on the cattle who's remains they feed on at the abbatiors could be a possible cause. like in India they are almost extinct cos of use of declofenac as a pain relief for cattle. when they feed from the remains of such cattle they die cos the drug is toxic to them and this leads fatalities.
Exactly, Natgeo has done us well.......also watched that episode............#seek knowledge,seek truth.

3 Likes

Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by Dayoto: 12:51am On Jun 10, 2018
not entirely true
Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by Babacele: 10:14pm On Aug 21, 2018
The advent of different chemicals( herbicides or pesticides) for various agricultural processes has sounded a death knell on vultures who feed on dead animals killed by the poison from these dangerous chemicals. It has been a massive annihilation of the vulture population since we imbibed the chemical culture in Africa as from the mid 1990s. And things may never be the same again; ever again.

1 Like

Re: Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2018
malificent:

Loss of habitat have displaced most of them. Many animals in Nigeria are going extinct for this same reason.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians/africans Do u still Visit Yr Village Every Xmas Or Easter? / Happy Valentines Day Quotes / Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.