Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,309 members, 7,881,137 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:11 PM

All Uses Of Coconut – From Root To Leaf - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / All Uses Of Coconut – From Root To Leaf (1635 Views)

Udom Flags Off The Planting Of 300,000 Special Breed Of Coconut Seedlings / What Is The Botanical Name Of This Leaf? / 10 Uses Of Bamboo You Should Know- Aroms Aigbehi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All Uses Of Coconut – From Root To Leaf by csteve: 2:08am On Jun 01, 2018
Aside the health benefits of coconut, it has many benefits to man. Coconut referred to as “The Tree Of Life” is important from root to leaf.

The benefits of coconut are so numerous and we will be looking at some of these benefits in this post.

The Uses of Coconut roots:

Coconut has a fibrous root system and continues to produce this root from the base of the stem throughout its lifetime, the roots are used in many ways which includes:

Coconut roots has been used as dye
It has been used as mouth wash: the ash when burnt can be used to wash of the teeth, it has been said to make the teeth whiter.
The roots has also been used as chewing stick.

The uses of coconut Trunk:

The coconut trunk, is the part after the root up to the leaf. It is smooth in feel.

The coconut trunk in some parts of the world has been used to make furniture.
Also, it can be used in building as supporting struts.
It was also used in construction of bridges.
In Hawaii, coconut trunk is used to create drums, containers and canoes.
It is also used as firewood.

The uses of coconut leaves:

The coconut leaves just like that of palm tree can be used to make brooms.
Coconut leaves can also be used to make cooking skewers.
Basket and mats are also made from coconut leaves.
Toothpick can also be made out of coconut leaves.
Coconut leaves are used in roofing thatch and temporary sheds.
The can be used as fuel also.

The uses of coconut coir:

This is an image of a coconut fruit taken by me. All copyright to this image belongs to me.

The coconut coir is the outermost part of the fruit, it is often green or yellow in color, it houses the husk, shell, coconut water and coconut meat. Its uses includes:

Making of floor mats and door mats.
It is used in making of brushes.
Due to it’s elasticity, it is used in making of strings and ropes.
Stuffing of mattresses.
clucking of fishing nets.

The uses of coconut husks and shell:

The husks comes before the shell, this parts of the coconut fruit can be used in the following ways:

The coconut husks are uses as pot for growing plants.
The shell has been used to create bowls and utensils such as eating plate.
When ground, the shell is an ingredient used in exfoliating.
Burning both the husk and shell together serves as mosquito repellent as the smell drives mosquito away.
Both the shell and husk when burn serves as source of fuel and charcoal.

The uses of coconut meat:

The coconut meat, also referred to as the coconut flesh is the main and most important part of the coconut fruit.
This is an Image of a fresh coconut meat taken by me. All copyright to this image belongs to me.

The uses of the coconut meat or flesh are many and include the following:

Coconut oil is extracted from the coconut meat.
Also, Coconut Milk is also extracted from the coconut meat.
Copra which is dried coconut meat is also made out of the coconut flesh.
Coconut sap can also be used to make palm wine when fermented and also coconut sugar.
Coconut can be enjoyed alone with maize of bread as snacks.
It is also used in making of coconut flour.

The uses of coconut water:

Coconut water is found inside the hollow of the coconut meat and can be used for:

Alternative to sports drink: coconut water can be consumed as a refreshing alternative to energy drinks.
Coconut wine.
Coconut vinegar when fermented.

I love coconut so I blog about it. You can visit my blog www.givemecoconut.com ,Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

We Buy TME419 Cassava Tubers In Large Quantity. / Jos Vegetables, Fruits And Food Sellers I Need Your Help / My Cucumber Farming Experience (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.