Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,873 members, 7,931,051 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 03:10 PM

Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! (62575 Views)

Businessman Raises Alarm Over A New Scam In Town (video) / Mimi, A Popular Tiktoker Dies After Boyfriend Allegedly Used Her For Rituals / Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Jethrolite(m): 5:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
Anybody that is unaware of these scams is not a Nigerian.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by allanphash7(m): 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
Mine was 2005 at the same mile 2

But i was just so lucky not to give them a listening ear

Never heard of them before then sef
adedayoa2:
It happened to me o, in mile 2. That should be 2001
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
format apart, some of those criminals uses JAZZ TO HYPNOTIZE their victims!....#bitter truth.

....but that buhari jazz got me o!

but e Don clear now.

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 08, 2018
lordjosh:
THIS IS NIGERIA!

FORMAT 3 was actually used on me on my way to Ibadan from Akure. Lol. I just dey laugh them cos, I believe in working hard for my money,not by using shortcut. The story long o.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by McBrooklyn(m): 5:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
Darkseid:
Na only greedy people dey fall this type of scam. I remember the day they scammed one of my neighbour's apprentice for Benin, the guy use his hand tear his shirt, rub mud for face come tell his oga say na armed robbers beat am collect 5k. After the oga give am extra beating he later confessed that he was scammed. They promised to give him 1m and he followed them, this guy was over 25 years then.

grin grin
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by adedayoa2(f): 5:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
allanphash7:
Mine was 2005 at the same mile 2

But i was just so lucky not to give them a listening ear

Never heard of them before then sef
I just stood there and was listening to them with my pity face, I was even telling them I was sent on an errand with plenty money. Naive me
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Preye1599(m): 5:30pm On Jun 08, 2018

6 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by shamecurls(m): 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
This started in 1925 during the fall of Olaolu's cartel

One would have never believed it will become a tradition

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by nmaihat: 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
I have experienced format 3 in Surulere long ago. I met the man and two people I presumed to be the wife (passenger's side) and a man at the back at Babs Animashaun. He spoke to me in a familiar manner(in Igbo language) asking where I was headed and I told him. I thought he knew me from our church that was very close to my house. I confirmed I ddnt know him when he told me the fare for the journey.

Shortly after he argued with man at the back saying he had big denomination and told him to get off the car around Bode Thomas junction. The man obliged and then came back begging. I ddnt say anything. Later the woman in front started haggling her fare claiming she was overcharged.

That was when the driver feigning anger reproached her claiming she had 'dollars' in Ghana must go bag in his boot and that he wants his share. The man at the back with me joined in.

By then I already realised they were fraudsters. I shouted at the driver to stop the car that I ddnt want to go anymore. Thankfully, he stopped along Bode Thomas just before Eric Moore junction and I got down.

That was how God saved me.

4 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
histemple:

A cousin is either a Female cousin or a Male Cousin.

Thank you jare, Nigerians and the Cousin brother and Sister syndrome I nor know where dem see am oh

2 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Jasen1(m): 5:36pm On Jun 08, 2018
histemple:

A cousin is either a Female cousin or a Male Cousin.

OK so I should say

They scammed my female cousin abi

3 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Oreofepeters: 5:37pm On Jun 08, 2018
Durhleepee:
They tried the No. 3 on me in a taxi I boarded at Secretariat Ibadan. They (driver and a male passenger) started arguing on their imaginary dollars, the driver argued that the money bag does not belong to the passenger that it must be that of an old woman that alighted earlier and that they would've to go back to their park to settle it. I didn't say a thing because I knew immediately they were scammers, then the driver asked for my opinion, I just shouted at him to drop me, I no dey go again
thank God you weren't.tricked. this is so common in ibadan
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Fela4ese: 5:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
Na usual format for delta dem born us see this one thirty years ago

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by granely(f): 5:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
I always shun them off, it has happened to me twice and the second guy will be convincing me let's help the first guy and that we will get something from him
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Moyenii(f): 5:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
Wow. Same thing happened to me at ibadan last year on my way to bodija market. These people eehn. When they started their drama, I just screamed at the driver to drop me. angry
Durhleepee:
They tried the No. 3 on me in a taxi I boarded at Secretariat Ibadan. They (driver and a male passenger) started arguing on their imaginary dollars, the driver argued that the money bag does not belong to the passenger that it must be that of an old woman that alighted earlier and that they would've to go back to their park to settle it. I didn't say a thing because I knew immediately they were scammers, then the driver asked for my opinion, I just shouted at him to drop me, I no dey go again
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by histemple: 5:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
Jasen1:

OK so I should say

They scammed my female cousin abi

Exactly!
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by lovere: 5:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
Those days in late 90s as a secondary school student i use to encounter them at upper iweka onitsha. Usually I would pretend i bought their stories and I will ask them for transport money and fiam am gone

5 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by AinjelSammy: 5:41pm On Jun 08, 2018
eleojo23:
Wait o.
Do people actually fall for that Format 3?
Greed will kill some people.
Smh...
Its not abt greed. "Dog wey go lost, go lost". Pray it doesn't get 2 u

3 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by allanphash7(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
Haa

That's serious

I feel for you though
adedayoa2:
I just stools there listening to them with my pity face, I was even telling them I was sent on an errand with plenty money. Naive me

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Beremx(f): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
I fell victim in 2005 during my NYSC when i traveled to Benin from Lagos to see my Ex. E don tey e start na .Na format 3 dem use for me

4 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by dasparrow: 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
Yes, this happened to me too but trust me, I just told the driver I want to get off the vehicle which I did promptly. Nigerians think say them get sense!

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by bethyz(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
I was almost scammed like this some years ago. I was 19years old pretty young lady going to school to collect my admission letter . I took a taxi to the school on the way a man who sat near me was speaking a different kind of English . A different accent. I knew he was not a Nigerian maybe some of this African countries. He asked if I knew the number on the paper and name. I couldn't pronounce it . ALL that was written on the paper was rubbish . Nothing I could pronounce. He said he needed to know the address to visit a woman who owns him money. Tried to help him because I knew a lot of places in Enugu. Suddenly time to highlight the driver infront was asking me what my parent do I told them everything. The passenger infront was asking abi begging me to help the boy . That they will give me gold, wrist watchesn money. They begged and begged. The man was sweating profusely. For a moment I taught what will I use all this material things to do. What will I tell my parents I got it from. I taught My admission letter to the University or wrist watch, electronic and money . I choose school. Told them to open the door for me to leave . They let me go. It's after sometime I knew they were scammer. I thank God.
It happened again another year . Left the man to talk all his stories then I told him , if you follow me any step again you see that Police man standing there I will report you to him. He left me and disappeared into the crowded

1 Like

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by rezzy: 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
adedayoa2:
I wasn't o, it was an agbero that saved me that day, so I couldn't follow them.

Same year it happened to me, at same mile 2. One aunty saved me

2 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by adamsbadoo(m): 5:48pm On Jun 08, 2018
It happened to me in 2002...they stole my wallet but little did they knw that........

I have only my atm card, #100, pako biscuit nylon and used condom Inside angry

7 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by uboma(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
lifestyle1:
Old trick..
If you are greedy you will definitely fall for this.

You hit the nail right on its head.

Only greedy fellows will fall for these cheap scam.
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by chuggy(m): 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
HolyHero:
Bro don't play yourself.. those guys use charms too
Word...omo most dey use jazz...jazz is real
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Myhighdreams(f): 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by Auladimeji(m): 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
rezzy:
All have been in existence since 19 kokoro.

Yr2k1, I was at mile 2 trying to board a bus to Oshodi, there no bus as rain fell heavily that day. One funny looking guy with Jerry curls hair and useless oyinbo accent approached me and said he brought woovens from Togo that he couldn't find his way around and asked if I knew one estate at mile 2 there I told him I didnt know anywhere around mile 2.

Before I knew It another man walked up to me and asked what the man was telling me, I narrated everything to him. The jerry curls guy came and said if I knew wharf that he had many things there like jeans, TV etc, that if I could take him to wharf, he would give me jeans, I told him I don't wear trousers, he quickly told me he had skirt too, then the other man said we should take him to wharf and collect money from him. I remember telling him I had lecture at Isolo and I'm running late but the other man was begging me to help the jerry curls guy

I told him even if I help him to his destination, I won't collect anything that I'm a child of God. Immediately, one aunty just hit me and said mumu where you dey since? I have been waiting for you and you are busy talking, I wanted to say aunty but I don't know you, she just winked at me and dragged me away, she then said you better enter motor fast and now, those are 419ners.
On the bridge, right?
Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by abokikhalifa: 5:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
I almost fell for this scam in 2013 but was smart enough to know it's a scam so I played along with the so called foreigner and the second guy.
I can remember that faithful day vividly well.
I just came out from the National Stadium at Ojuelegba where I went to buy an original Arsenal jersey. I was with 20k cash left on me and my ATM card. I don't know how this guys knew I was with cash on me and my bank account.
As I was walking to the busstop, one guy worked towards me with a Ghanaian accent telling me that is goods were seized by custom officers at Apapa and he needs someone to take him there to claim is goods. He told me that he is new in Lagos and dos not know is way around and he wants me to take him to Apapa that he will give me one IPAD and an IPHONE. That was when I suspected something fishy because as at then the price of IPAD and IPHONE was fu.k.ng high.

As I was conversing with the so called Ghana boy who to me looks like an IGBO GUY, one YORUBA boy was pretending to be a random guy walking pass and was called in by the Ghanaian boy. The way the Yoruba boy reacted also made me understand it was a scam game.

So me as a Lagos/ Akwa Ibom boy I say make I play along make we see who the Mumu be.

The Yoruba boy claimed to be a unilag student(for my mind Unilag boy way no get swarg, that one Na Unilag student?) and he insisted that we should help the Ghanaian guy and make money from him.

At the end of the day, the Ghanaian guy who claimed not to know anywhere in Lagos State was the one that stopped a keke and in my mind I was like ''OGA YOU TALK SAY U NO SABBI ANYWHERE FOR LAGOS HOW COME NA YOU DEY STOP KEKE FOR LAGOS''

I saw the way their rushed into the keke thinking that they have getting a maga nd I watched them smiling. They looked back and saw me standing and waving BYE BYE and good luck with your next client.

Through out that day I was wondering how someone else will fall victim.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! by 1nigeriamyfoot: 5:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
lifestyle1:
Old trick..

If you are greedy you will definitely fall for this.

very very old trick

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Grieving Man Catches Nurse Having Sex With Wife’s Corpse In Bolivia / EFCC Arrests 11 Suspected Internet Fraudsters With 12 Cars In Osun / Two Brothers Kill Their Brother In Imo State (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.