Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,110 members, 7,928,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 01:17 PM

John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup (9854 Views)

Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance / Mourinho Desperate To Sell Either Torres Or John Obi Mikel Or Petr Cech / Inside John Obi Mikel's House - Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by 9ijaprince(m): 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2010
Who really is brown Ideye? Is he a midfielder? Someone should just enlighten me.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jun 05, 2010
So who has been earmarked as his replacement? undecided
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by mamagee3(f): 8:56pm On Jun 05, 2010
Breaking News!

Mama-gee doesn't give a rat azz.
grin
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by aikuda(m): 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2010
Nigerian Football Federation spokesman Idah Peterside said Nigeria's key midfielder had pulled up after some 50 minutes of training in Richards Bay on Friday with severe pain.

"He had been complaining about a niggle in the ankle when we first arrived in South Africa but after training yesterday it really flared up. His knee was doing fine and you can understand he is devastated about this new problem.

"He is not sure how it happened. It wasn't a tackle with another player or anything like that," Peterside said.

"It was been very emotional for him and for the other players too. The team has been trying to consol him. He's been to the Olympics but this was to be his first World Cup."
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by dipo2much(m): 9:13pm On Jun 05, 2010
mama-gee:

Breaking News!

Mama-gee doesn't give a rat azz.
grin

So who d u give that bewtiful azz to?
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by mamagee3(f): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
dipo2much:

So who d u give that bewtiful azz to?
Shut the heck up! cool
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by dipo2much(m): 9:18pm On Jun 05, 2010
mama-gee:

Shut the heck up! cool

tongue tongue tongue
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by bgees(m): 9:29pm On Jun 05, 2010
9ijaprince:

Who really is brown Ideye? Is he a midfielder? Someone should just enlighten me.

Brown Ideye is a striker a very poor one . He played in a team that is arguably the worst ever Nigerian team- Ladan Bosso's U20 team to canada 2007. I think he must have godfathers in the NFF
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by MAYOWAAK: 9:30pm On Jun 05, 2010
9ijaprince:

He currently plays as a striker for a french clubside,Sochaux.He was a member of the flying eagles team to the U-21 world cup in 2007 hosted in Canada.He scored Nigeria's first goal in that tournament,I think against Costa Rica.

I believe he was chosen as a replacement for Mikel because there are no other midfielders in the original 30 man list.Reports also has it that he can also play as an attacking midfielder.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by MAITEMA(m): 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2010
I have always had issues with Mikel's performance, commitment and patriotism when it comes to the Eagles. Why was he included in the first place if he hadn’t fully recovered just like we understand is the condition of Ike Uche and Anichebe? Not that his absence will be a big blow though (back and side passer he is). I gathered from Sky sports that he is concerned about aggravating an injury when in fact it is not certain he will. David Beckham though injured is training with the English team just to boost morale. I remember the Nigerian Senegalese match at the quarter final of the 2000 African cup of Nations in Lagos. Oliseh was sick and ruled out of the match but in the course of the match as we were down 0-1 you could see him standing on the touchline biting his finger nails and visibly disturbed and itching and at the same time prodding his team mates, eventually he opted to play albeit being sick. He did make the difference in the game which we eventually won. That is commitment and patriotism.

Mikel's attitude depicts the attitude of most of our players today and this is part of the reason our performance has been nose diving over the years.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by CLT123(m): 9:46pm On Jun 05, 2010
I have always had issues with Mikel's performance, commitment and patriotism when it comes to the Eagles. Why was he included in the first place if he hadn’t fully recovered just like we understand is the condition of Ike Uche and Anichebe? Not that his absence will be a big blow though (back and side passer he is). I gathered from Sky sports that he is concerned about aggravating an injury when in fact it is not certain he will. David Beckham though injured is training with the English team just to boost morale. I remember the Nigerian Senegalese match at the quarter final of the 2000 African cup of Nations in Lagos. Oliseh was sick and ruled out of the match but in the course of the match as we were down 0-1 you could see him standing on the touchline biting his finger nails and visibly disturbed and itching and at the same time prodding his team mates, eventually he opted to play albeit being sick. He did make the difference in the game which we eventually won. That is commitment and patriotism.

Mikel's attitude depicts the attitude of most of our players today and this is part of the reason our performance has been nose diving over the years.

Thank you!. This is what i've been trying to say
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Ltrust(m): 10:08pm On Jun 05, 2010
In the Nigerian team as at present, None posses talent and vision like that boy. May God forgive all the anti- Mikel idiots in this forum. The whole world had you in mind but will miss you just like drogba and Essien. The best coaches in the world has always classify you as just fantastic but if i were you i would resolve to go attack minded and see how you get better in that direction. Score goals and the world is yours to be voted among the best. Goodbye.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Inengo: 10:16pm On Jun 05, 2010
dis boy is injured 4 crying out loud, u want him to die at d scene of play, i think he has tried is best in qualifying us to the world cup nd now dat he finds out dat is not fit y cant we live him alone, is soul nd spirit is willing but d body is weak, he is and still remain a patriotic Nigeria no one can take away datt, good Nigerians lets remember dat dere is always a 2moro nd our 2moro can only b better dan our 2day,,,,, He needs our prayer nd not our condemnation, I blive  Supper Eagles can make it to semi Finals, no doubt about it, long live super Eagles    Long live Nigeria,
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by netbizzy(m): 10:34pm On Jun 05, 2010
I think mikel is a brave man to know he should be responsible to allow a chance for someone else if he can't do his best for the country.
Mikel single handedly took Nigerians to the world cup but we still don't appreciate him. I believe that mikel will always succeed no matter how some Nigerians feel, because he has shown that since the beginning of his career.

Please let us love one another if we ever  want to see change in Nigeria. Super Eagle will always fly, let see how far the will go without mikel.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Jaytee67(m): 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2010
John Mikel Obi is out of the World Cup. Brown Ideye has been called up to replace him.

Mikel quit the Nigerian World Cup team so he would not aggravate his knee injury. The Chelsea midfielder told team officials that ‘he did not want to put his career at risk as his knee injury 'has yet to fully heal after a recent surgery'. Emmanuel Attah, a team official said on Saturday morning.

The 23-year-old is among the final 23-man squad drafted by Nigerian coach Lars Lagerback who had earlier assured that Mikel will play a part of Sunday's warm-up game against North Korea.

Mikel is the latest Chelsea player to experience a last minute miss out of the World Cup with Michael Ballack, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba who is currently in pain after an elbow fracture. The Ivory Coast star may yet appear in the World Cup if an emergency surgery goes well.

Courtesty :234next.com
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by franctony(m): 10:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
Mikel is currently the best player in SE, no doubt. we will surely miss you
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Onlytruth(m): 11:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
franctony:

Mikel is currently the best player in SE, no doubt. we will surely miss you

Hell NO! He is not. I've never liked that guy because he poses more than he plays. The last time he played a good game was during the under 20 world cup under Siasia. Since after the struggle between Man U and Chelsea over him, he lost his head and has not found it back till today. We need a real player in his place. And we need to ban him from Super Eagles permanently.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by bossman3: 11:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

Hell NO! He is not. I've never liked that guy because he poses more than he plays. The last time he played a good game was during the under 20 world cup under Siasia. Since after the struggle between Man U and Chelsea over him, he lost his head and has not found it back till today. We need a real player in his place. And we need to ban him from Super Eagles permanently.

It doesn't matter if you like him or not. Mikel is the best player in the Nigerian team right now. He plays regularly in the highest level not to mention all the awards and trophies he has won in the past. Please I don't like his attitude too and I don't think we should rely on him too much but he is simply the best we have and the coaches know it.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by MAYOWAAK: 12:02am On Jun 06, 2010
leading player John Obi Mikel was ruled out of the World Cup in South Africa, joining a lengthening big-name casualty list with a severely bruised ankle.

He picked it up on his first day back in full training following a separate knee injury, a week before the month-long tournament kicks off on Friday.

The 23-year-old joins Ghana's Michael Essien (knee injury) and very probably the Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba (broken bone near elbow) on the sidelines, leaving the finals likely to miss three of its biggest African names.

That trio all play together at club level for Chelsea, and they have also seen team-mates Michael Ballack and Jose Bosingwa ruled out of the tournament through injury for Germany and Portugal respectively.

Mikel learned on Saturday that he would miss this month's showpiece (June 11-July 11) after a scan showed he would not recover in time.

Nigerian Football Federation spokesman Idah Peterside said Nigeria's key midfielder had pulled up after some 50 minutes of training in Richards Bay on Friday with severe pain.

"He had been complaining about a niggle in the ankle when we first arrived in South Africa but after training yesterday it really flared up. His knee was doing fine and you can understand he is devastated about this new problem.

"He is not sure how it happened. It wasn't a tackle with another player or anything like that," Peterside said.

"It was been very emotional for him and for the other players too. The team has been trying to consol him. He's been to the Olympics but this was to be his first World Cup."

Mikel will return to London for further medical examinations at the weekend, the spokesman added. Nigeria's team were flying on Saturday from their coastal base camp to Johannesburg, where they play a friendly against North Korea on Sunday.

Mikel, who has scored twice in 30 appearances for his country, is being replaced by the uncapped Brown Ideye, a striker from French club Sochaux, the NFF said.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Princek12(m): 12:14am On Jun 06, 2010
Other people may disagree with me, but I have always thought (and I still do Mikel ) that Mikel is "extremely" overrated. Admittedly, he is a quality midfielder, but he is too passive in the midfield area, although he makes up for it somewhat with his ball distribution prowess. Mikel rarely scores, which I think is a problem, and he is not a natural attacking midfielder but a defensive midfielder.  Amodu played him as an attacking midfielder (which was a big problem), while Chelsea played him as a defensive midfielder (which made more sense since I believe he is a natural defensive midfielder).
Ideye Brown, on the other hand, is very aggressive and can score. He can play both as a defensive and a attacking midfielder, and he is another reliable scoring option if Martins, Yakubu, and our other strikers are thinking about ashewos on the field. He is aggressive and come and play as a striker if we are down and need to equalize or in desperate need of goals. I think Ideye is a better option. Yes-- I said it.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Nobody: 12:29am On Jun 06, 2010
everyone is busy criticising mikel forgetting that this is the same mikel that went to the U-17/olympics and we all loved him,his style of play then was what nwe loved and if we say it has changed now cant we also then say that his yrs under maurinho took out the creativeness in him?he is getting better under ancelotti and we could see that materialising next season,this is a player voted motm in some games for chelsea
if he was that bad,chelsea would have looked for a replacement a loooooooong time ago
abi chelsea no wan win and they play better than naija
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by chelseabmw(m): 2:51am On Jun 06, 2010
so painful that mikel will miss the world cup.he is my best player in super eagles lipsrsealed
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by 12large: 3:49am On Jun 06, 2010
where did they get this two idiots "Princek12 and milehigh06" please all the nigerians americans should leave this forum with their i wanna gonna wanna style. prince12 and milehigh06 when did you ever see mikel at olympics, the first idiot said that brown ideye can play as a striker, defensive midfilder and attacking midfilder what kind of fool is that, the second mumu said that nigerians are critising mikel forgetting what he did in olympics. is that what nff have turned us into, fools like prince12 and milehigh06 coming to this football forum once in 10years only to find out that he is late. anyway prince12 and milehigh06, brown ideye is an out and out striker, while mikel has never gone to olympics serious i don't wish mikel injury but he would not be missed. and for the 2 bastards please do research before you comment on this forum this place is not for morons
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by dayokanu(m): 4:34am On Jun 06, 2010
Mikel single handedly took Nigerians to the world cup but we still don't appreciate him. I believe that mikel will always succeed no matter how some Nigerians feel, because he has shown that since the beginning of his career.

Seriously I laugh in Guru Maharaji grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mikel single handedly took Nigeria to which world cup. All these Mikel cock suckers need to give it a rest.

Now that Mikel is out, I believe Nigeria would perform better at the Mundial.

The last Olympics we dropped Mikel and got to the finals.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Princek12(m): 5:31am On Jun 06, 2010
12large:

where did they get this two idiots "Princek12 and milehigh06" please all the nigerians americans should leave this forum with their i wanna gonna wanna style. prince12 and milehigh06 when did you ever see mikel at olympics, the first idiot said that brown ideye can play as a striker, defensive midfilder and attacking midfilder what kind of fool is that, the second mumu said that nigerians are critising mikel forgetting what he did in olympics. is that what nff have turned us into, fools like prince12 and milehigh06 coming to this football forum once in 10years only to find out that he is late. anyway prince12 and milehigh06, brown ideye is an out and out striker, while mikel has never gone to olympics serious i don't wish mikel injury but he would not be missed. and for the 2 bastards please do research before you comment on this forum this place is not for morons

I think mosquitoes have sucked all the blood out of your brain, and it has incapacitated your reasoning ability. No one is disputing that Ideye Brown plays as a striker, but my point is that he is versatile and can play both as a defensive and attacking midfielder if the need be.When he played in Sweden, he played as an attacking midfielder numerous times and still managed to bag 10 goals. We already have too many decent strikers, but it is likely that Largerback called him ahead of Victor Anichebe because of his versatillty and his goal-scoring instinct, something Mikel lacks. I am not a Mikel worshiper like you simply because he plays for Chelsea FC.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by mbulela: 7:14am On Jun 06, 2010
milehigh06:

everyone is busy criticising mikel forgetting that this is the same mikel that went to the U-17/olympics and we all loved him,his style of play then was what nwe loved and if we say it has changed now cant we also then say that his yrs under maurinho took out the creativeness in him?he is getting better under ancelotti and we could see that materialising next season,this is a player voted motm in some games for chelsea
if he was that bad,chelsea would have looked for a replacement a loooooooong time ago
abi chelsea no wan win and they play better than naija

I am not keen on this Mikel argument as it is devoid of logic and fuelled by emotions and nothing else.
However, i would love little proof to back up the assertion in bold.
Thank you.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by davidif: 9:54am On Jun 06, 2010
mbulela:

I am not keen on this Mikel argument as it is devoid of logic and fuelled by emotions and nothing else.
However, i would love little proof to back up the assertion in bold.
Thank you.

[size=18pt]WHEN WOULD NIGERIANS EVER UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL?? FOOTBALL IS NOT ALL ABOUT DRIBBLING EVERYBODY! BECAUSE MIKEL DOESN'T DRIBBLE, ALL OF A SUDDEN HE IS AN AVERAGE PLAYER? MIKEL OBI IS A DEFENSIVE MID AND HE DOES HIS JOB EXCELLENTLY. HE HOLDS ON TO POSSESSION, HE DEFENDS VERY WELL AND HE READS THE GAME VERY WELL. [/size]
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/08/when-will-john-obi-mikel-get-the-credit-he-deserves/

If you want to learn more about mordern football then try and re-educate yourself by at least starting with this
http://www.zonalmarking.net/
http://arsenalcolumn./
http://tomwfootball./
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by bowei(m): 10:17am On Jun 06, 2010
The guy is just afraid of the humiliation he'll face in the match again Argentina, rather bow out than be disgraced!! over to you Mr Lagerbeer and Papa Kanu!! I hope you domineering goons in the glass out are watching events as they unfolds!!
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 06, 2010
davidif:

[size=18pt]WHEN WOULD NIGERIANS EVER UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL?? FOOTBALL IS NOT ALL ABOUT DRIBBLING EVERYBODY! BECAUSE MIKEL DOESN'T DRIBBLE, ALL OF A SUDDEN HE IS AN AVERAGE PLAYER? MIKEL OBI IS A DEFENSIVE MID AND HE DOES HIS JOB EXCELLENTLY. HE HOLDS ON TO POSSESSION, HE DEFENDS VERY WELL AND HE READS THE GAME VERY WELL. [/size]
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/08/when-will-john-obi-mikel-get-the-credit-he-deserves/

If you want to learn more about mordern football then try and re-educate yourself by at least starting with this
bravo!!!!!
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by bowei(m): 10:36am On Jun 06, 2010
He's Scared my guy, Period!!
He's reluctance in major event is always noted!!
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by mbulela: 10:58am On Jun 06, 2010
davidif:

because you are able to google a few sites does not make you knowledgeable about the game.
Dude, it is all about opinions.
I am not interested in the links you provided.
i simply asked for a proof of him being named MOM in Chelsea matches you start spouting load of ----------
by the way, i never expressed any opinion on Mikel.
David you are better than this.stop hyperventilating.
Re: John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup by bkbabe97: 11:06am On Jun 06, 2010
Chidichris:

@Marhoski/PurestBoy,
at least your father or mother will have opportunity now to show nigerians their qualities.
u are an abnormal goat.

i expect to see more of your type who come to celebrate in the sorrow of mikel and well meaning nigerians.
it is nice to know that the departure of mikel now exposes nigerian super eagles to the best chances of winning the trophy.

Dude, why cant u ever retort without insulting a person's parents? Youre just the same like MENTAL gONg, Wily+Wily, DEDE1, EZEUCHE, Andre Uwe, Pro01 and co, can never "come-back" without cursing out a niggaz moms or pops. Wut is it, the only ways Ibos know how to answer their critics??!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Birmingham 2022: Nasiru Sule Wins Silver In Men's Para Table-tennis Event / FA CUP Final: Man City Beat Man Utd To Keep Treble Dreams Alive / Rasheedat Ajibade Extends Her Contract With Atletico Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.