Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,577 members, 7,978,919 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:56 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (252814 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
1, igbos are still troubled by the civil war , and ika did not suffer from civil disorder that the average igbo man suffers , ika is an independent tribe that will never be subdued by igbos or any body , we are just proudly ika , but while igbos continue to write their rubbish , ika has worked to get news read in ika and other ika programmes in delta and we will start teaching ika as a language in college of education in agbor .

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 10:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
Pharoh:

If there was fairness, a bright future (for their language and culture ) and equity for them in Spain today then you will agree with me that they will not be clamoring for a separation today. There are Catalans in France today but they have to speak french in their official daily life and so many different ethnic groups that made up France before the french revolution that imposed the french language and consciousness on everyone.

The Catalans know better not to break up from spain and go join france because the language policy of france will kill their culture and language and hence the reason for clamoring for a separate identity. It is the same thing we are clamoring as ika, ndokwa etc and also trying to come under the anioma identity whereby we see each other as equals and at the same time preserving out cultural heritage while pursuing for a joint development. That is why in delta we all speak pidgin to interact with each other while preserving our cultural heritage, even our senatorial and local demarcation goes along that line.

To be frank with you if Nigeria breaks up today and there is to be any form of igbo nation then it has to be mirrored along the french or Spanish option. One igbo language (central igbo ) and consciousness or autonomous communities based on primary ethnicity and language with equity and fairness as the watchword. If you don't develop this now and continue this enugu vs abia, or omanbala vs this and that then please count the anioma people out. We are not cut out for this kind of dick measuring contest or need to dominate and shout down on us to be igbo whenever we mention our first language and primary ethnicity.

My primary ethnicity is ndokwa( ukwuani-aboh) and going further i can choose as a matter of choice to be regarded as igbo, anioma , bendel or whatever term that can be created. There must be something beneficial to the extra term and consciousness that i would further like to be identified with and that is by choice. It is that choice you guys are not recognizing and try to postulate all the time we create a thread to cherish our primary ethnicity that we are igbos.

If Nigeria is working today, no one will be clamoring for separation and that is the same for the igbo identity. It is a ruse to us now because of the prevalent ideology, way of life and evident relations that exist in igboland today. If the igbo identity and igbo and is moving in the right direction then you will related people begging to be part of it and not the other way round. You can look at my post in whatever way you want to but reality is waiting for us in some years to come. This is a list of the ethnic groups in Nigeria and their primary language, then if this list cannot be understood the same way we on the opposition side understands it then i don't wish to have this discussion anymore. We have gone beyond 100 pages and we will go beyond that with not tangible at the end of the day.

There is no animosity between us and we see those related around us as our first brothers before the benins, yorubas, isokos or whatever but if you guys continue like this then you are just creating the strife between the groups. We are related by culture and language but we are not the same people and we can be one people like the french eventually did if we see each other as equals and there is respect. Any other strategy is just coming together to eventually fail and that is what is happening in Nigeria today.

http://www.joshuaproject.net/countries.php?rog3=NI
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
Done with the topic, the thread is left for you guy to say whatever you wish to say because i am out.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
Pharoh:
If Nigeria is working today, no one will be clamoring for separation and that is the same for the igbo identity. It is a ruse to us now because of the prevalent ideology, way of life and evident relations that exist in igboland today. If the igbo identity and igbo and is moving in the right direction then you will related people begging to be part of it and not the other way round. You can look at my post in whatever way you want to but reality is waiting for us in some years to come. This is a list of the ethnic groups in Nigeria and their primary language, then if this list cannot be understood the same way we on the opposition side understands it then i don't wish to have this discussion anymore. We have gone beyond 100 pages and we will go beyond that with not tangible at the end of the day.
I agree with this part of your post. I've always held this notion that the reason why some groups don't want to be associated with the Igbo umbrella is simply because there's really nothing to gain from it. Igbos have succeeded in all walks of life but have failed woefully at a cohesive development. This is why it doesn't mean anything to an Ikwerre man or an Ndokwa man that he's Igbo or not cos there's really nothing to gain from it apart from being part of one of the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Infact, it's easier for a non-Igbo minority to be accepted by other Nigerians than an Igbo, so why sweat it when you can just move out of the Igbo umbrella and when people question the non-Igboness that you profess soo much despite the fact that your name is Chibuike and you speak a dialect of Igbo, what you do is simply to say some hurtful things about the Igbos and you're one step away from being accepted as an Enemy of Igbo. Anyways, i can relate with you more based on the fact that you're more about your people finding a newer identity rather than denying the obvious.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
agbotaen: 1, igbos are still troubled by the civil war , and ika did not suffer from civil disorder that the average igbo man suffers , ika is an independent tribe that will never be subdued by igbos or any body , we are just proudly ika , but while igbos continue to write their rubbish , ika has worked to get news read in ika and other ika programmes in delta and we will start teaching ika as a language in college of education in agbor .

first thing go and tell urhobos,ishans,edos delta state government and Wikipedia.that ika ain't igbo dude.you talk too much. write a book....that is if u can get a credible reference. then get out of this thread its meant for igbos of delta origin not sons of Benin felons like you.

next thing,go tell ur king not to use igbo names,market days and titles like obi and dein if u will want to know owere call an elder see or nne while woman ndaaa. then take igbanke root and cry ,then be slaves like em.

Google the most enterprising tribe in Africa, Google the most resilient tribe in Nigeria. who runs the economy by hook or crook.

THANK GOD I DON'T HAVE IDENTITY CRISIS AND NOT DISILLUSIONED LIKE U.U ARE NOT IGBO.....AGREED SO GO TO UDO THREAD.U WILL SEE HIM AGAIN.

USU BENIN.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:16am On Nov 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I agree with this part of your post. I've always held this notion that the reason why some groups don't want to be associated with the Igbo umbrella is simply because there's really nothing to gain from it. Igbos have succeeded in all walks of life but have failed woefully at a cohesive development. This is why it doesn't mean anything to an Ikwerre man or an Ndokwa man that he's Igbo or not cos there's really nothing to gain from it apart from being part of one of the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Infact, it's easier for a non-Igbo minority to be accepted by other Nigerians than an Igbo, so why sweat it when you can just move out of the Igbo umbrella and when people question the non-Igboness that you profess soo much despite the fact that your name is Chibuike and you speak a dialect of Igbo, what you do is simply to say some hurtful things about the Igbos and you're one step away from being accepted as an Enemy of Igbo. Anyways, i can relate with you more based on the fact that you're more about your people finding a newer identity rather than denying the obvious.
They do not need to gain anything from Ndigbo to be accepted as Igbo. Do we need to gain anything from Nigeria to be Nigerians?. Nigeria as a country does not afford us basic amenities required for human existence yet we do not deny that we are Nigerians. Nigeria does not provide us with electricity but we buy power generating plants, Nigeria does not supply us with tap water yet we drill boreholes. Nigeria doesn't provide us with security but we hire guards yet we are Nigerians and do not deny it.
I pity those of them who deny Igbo as it worsens their identity crisis. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 12:25am On Nov 02, 2013
Andre Uweh:
They do not need to gain anything from Ndigbo to be accepted as Igbo. Do we need to gain anything from Nigeria to be Nigerians?. Nigeria as a country does not afford us basic amenities required for human existence yet we do not deny that we are Nigerians. Nigeria does not provide us with electricity but we buy power generating plants, Nigeria does not supply us with tap water yet we drill boreholes. Nigeria doesn't provide us with security but we hire guards yet we are Nigerians and do not deny it.
I pity those of them who deny Igbo as it worsens their identity crisis. What a shame.
It's not about what they are, but want they accept that they are. We can clearly see that they are as Igbo as any one of us but politics has made their link to other Igbos severed and as such don't see the big deal in wanting to be called Igbo. Even the ones among them that accept the Igbo tag are very passive in their Igboness. You won't see the kind of Igbo consciousness that you see in an Anambra man for example in them. It will only take some kind of Igbo revolution, be it in politics, culture, economics or social for them to come back to the fold. Once there's something to be be proud of as an Igbo man that is glaring, you don't need to convince or force anyone to be Igbo. So you know that when i grew up in Ikwerreland in the 90s, there were more pro-Igbo Ikwerre people than now? The reason being that compared to now, then there were more artifacts in terms of Music, movies etc for someone to want to be identified as Igbo. Then almost every Ikwerre man had the music of Olive de Coque, Osadebe and watched Igbo movies like no tomorrow. But things have changed now because all these Igbo artifacts have gone away and there's really nothing to hold onto. Not politics, economics, culture. We don't own, Lagos, Abuja. Infact, it seems to me that those people that are constant living in denial are better off than the people who are convincing them of their Igboness. My personal opinion
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:48am On Nov 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's not about what they are, but want they accept that they are. We can clearly see that they are as Igbo as any one of us but politics has made their link to other Igbos severed and as such don't see the big deal in wanting to be called Igbo. Even the ones among them that accept the Igbo tag are very passive in their Igboness. You won't see the kind of Igbo consciousness that you see in an Anambra man for example in them. It will only take some kind of Igbo revolution, be it in politics, culture, economics or social for them to come back to the fold. Once there's something to be be proud of as an Igbo man that is glaring, you don't need to convince or force anyone to be Igbo. So you know that when i grew up in Ikwerreland in the 90s, there were more pro-Igbo Ikwerre people than now? The reason being that compared to now, then there were more artifacts in terms of Music, movies etc for someone to want to be identified as Igbo. Then almost every Ikwerre man had the music of Olive de Coque, Osadebe and watched Igbo movies like no tomorrow. But things have changed now because all these Igbo artifacts have gone away and there's really nothing to hold onto. Not politics, economics, culture. We don't own, Lagos, Abuja. Infact, it seems to me that those people that are constant living in denial are better off than the people who are convincing them of their Igboness. My personal opinion
I still maintain that Igbo doesn't have to do anything for them to accept Igbo as Nigeria doesn't have to do anything for us to be Nigerians.
The day they will succeed in being anything they want is the day Ndigbo will come together to dissolve the Igbo nation so that we will Have Nnewi, Udi, Arochukwu, Mbaise, Afikpo, Asaba, Elele etc. Since Ndigbo are not prepared for that, those groups still remain Igbo. Those who deny it will still suffer in identity crisis.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 12:53am On Nov 02, 2013
Andre Uweh:
I still maintain that Igbo doesn't have to do anything for them to accept Igbo as Nigeria doesn't have to do anything for us to be Nigerians.
The day they will succeed in being anything they want is the day Ndigbo will come together to dissolve the Igbo nation so that we will Have Nnewi, Udi, Arochukwu, Mbaise, Afikpo, Asaba, Elele etc. Since Ndigbo are not prepared for that, those groups still remain Igbo. Those who deny it will still suffer in identity crisis.
I'm not disputing that fact. I'm just highlighting the reason why i think they're disclaiming what the obviously are and the truth is that, this is not the first time in history that this is happening. We've seen children who have denied their parents but that doesn't stop them from being their parent's children. But it's the job of the parent to put into measures to bring back their prodigal children. I think your analogy of the Igbo and Nigerian nation does not fall through because being a Nigeria is a legal and constitutional status as opposed to being Igbo. I may deny being a Nigerian all i want but as far as i have a Nigerian passport, i'm a Nigerian except i denounce my citizenship but being Igbo is more ambivalent than being a Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 1:02am On Nov 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not disputing that fact. I'm just highlighting the reason why i think they're disclaiming what the obviously are and the truth is that, this is not the first time in history that this is happening. We've seen children who have denied their parents but that doesn't stop them from being their parent's children. But it's the job of the parent to put into measures to bring back their prodigal children. I think your analogy of the Igbo and Nigerian nation does not fall through because being a Nigeria is a legal and constitutional status as opposed to being Igbo. I may deny being a Nigerian all i want but as far as i have a Nigerian passport, i'm a Nigerian except i denounce my citizenship but being Igbo is more ambivalent than being a Nigeria.
Nigeria and in Igbo in this analogy are same. Denying Igbo means you have to give up what makes you Igbo and that includes language, food, dressing, kinship and heritage.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:51am On Nov 02, 2013
I'm surprised people are still engaging themselves in this discussion. No matter how anyone (Anioma or not) chooses to rationalize things, the hard fact is that Anioma communities will always fall under the broader "Igbo" classification, and there really ought not be any controversy as to why this is so. Now, whether or not these people choose to wear it around as an identity is a different discussion, and quite honestly, I don't believe it is a discussion anyone should be losing sleep over.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:30am On Nov 02, 2013
its good to use analogy to drive home some submission or argument if the receptor is incorrigible like agbonteanu and sunnyforsmall.

ika saying they ain't igbo is like a monkey claiming to be a gorilla. yes the monkey can claim oneness with a gorilla or any ape like orang utan,but in the animal kingdom a monkey is a monkey

now another analogy is this when a blackman, says he is white like wacko Jackson.

NO BODY IS FORCING IGBOSHIP OR IGBOHOOD ON U.Igbo is an exclusive club not an all comer affair. even if they revise from their ignoble position I will personal give them observer status not full membership

funny lot.....we won't and I repeat will never lose a sleep from ika stupidit
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 3:36am On Nov 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:

it depends on what and how they see it.igbos are their brothers keepers in non igbo land and we watch each other back.I used to have a cousin that bears ugo he was born in lagos,full fledged igbo but can't speak it,he traveled to UK,their are some business deals that pops up,he will see it but due to the nature of the the deals so he tells me.he will love to do it but the fact is that he ain't speaking igbo cos there should be a level of confidentiality but he can't

I personally has gotten good jobs both in Nigeria and good contacts outside due to the singular fact I am igbo and speak it. its easier. if I travel to any part of the world I do not feel scared or lonely.cos I know that I will see my igbo Bro.I will be going to pacific this month for official business and I am not scared.

my wife an igbo from delta and ukwuani to be presice will tell me that she is happy for marrying igbo. they all were born in Benin I mean 5 girls plus the agbor girl that lived with them,non married Benin,the agbor girl married an aba man.I asked her why? she said it better for her to marry somebody she can hear his language with same culture with. oh lest I forget. the discount my wife gets in market here in lagos for speaking igbo with her igbo friends.

so it depends how u view it. some people use opportunity while some people will want to be given everything
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:35am On Nov 03, 2013
As a full and proud anambra indigene,I am scared not because of the potentialities of my state,no!I am scared of leadership Lacuna,gap and vacuum that is hovering in the air. It's an issue of the devil.

We got obaino,he has been fronted,branded by the incumbent...that I think its ok.learnt that he was a banker... that's all I can say about this dude. Just flat story but not a daft man but deft moves might be his moves

Then here comes the emeritus..the Dr that has been so politicized and galvanized by opposition from the west. He is an emeritus governor...tested and trusted. Ngige delivered and built roads. The issue is do we,can we afford to go the AC party way? Can we afford to be in hand of jagban in lagos. Will anambra answer to tinubu or will tinubu answer to ngige? Some will say tufiakwa. This is the plight of a good candidate in a bad platform.imo state seems to be heading that path and we the igbo beacon can't allow ourselves to be on that road! That's the greatest undoing for emeritus ngige...oh he is still my in-law I forgot

Oh the youngman from my side. The uba in nnewi. His house isn't far from my house in village. I can shout in my crib and he will respond. But shouting isn't governance neither is money. What do we need him for? We might need a young blood. He might carry over the success he made in private sector to state. The question is public sector is a different game. Is he the messiah we are waiting for?

These are the three musketeers in anambra now. I call them triology.how the cookies will crumble me Anthony Nwosu can't .say. but my eye is on the mark.

NDI be any si na agbacha oso aguo mile.uche anyi dikwa ya. Chukwu debe anyi

As an indegene,whom will you vote?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 03, 2013
Hello
Am actually viewin dis thread 4 d first time and I must confess dat its a nice one which is educative and supposed to add value. I have learnt a thin or two by glancin thru but sincerely speakin like someone said here its not wat we fite abt or lose slp over
As for me as long as I can rem and note I was neva told any by my folks. Wen asked were am from I have always replied delta. Aniocha south. Ogwashi Ukwu. And finally delta igbo. I bliv it has always been in my subconscious. And no amt of arguin will change anythn. Its just d way thns turned out to b. So we don't nid to insult or wateva we r one Nigeria. Ok. I love all my igbo and delta pips. One Love. @ chinenye(its act cos of u I commented pm me)

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 10:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
rozzay: Hello
Am actually viewin dis thread 4 d first time and I must confess dat its a nice one which is educative and supposed to add value. I have learnt a thin or two by glancin thru but sincerely speakin like someone said here its not wat we fite abt or lose slp over
As for me as long as I can rem and note I was neva told any by my folks. Wen asked were am from I have always replied delta. Aniocha south. Ogwashi Ukwu. And finally delta igbo. I bliv it has always been in my subconscious. And no amt of arguin will change anythn. Its just d way thns turned out to b. So we don't nid to insult or wateva we r one Nigeria. Ok. I love all my igbo and delta pips. One Love. @ chinenye(its act cos of u I commented pm me)

nwanne m nwoke,you have killed em,buried em and see em decompose....that's the consciousness.your are an aniocha south man of delta and igbo. that's how a very reasonable man reasons...not bottom of pyramids like agbonteanu and his deluded Sony . its a pity and I have and igbo won't lose sleep over them.did we loose sleep over igbos in sierra Leone or equatorial guinea.have you forgotten that we still got igbos there

but nwanne OGA ADILI gi na nma. eziokwu amaka

if you are igbo and denies it....amadioha will have dinner with you maybe with ogwugwu as a partner

otolo gbagbuo fa.....ozu

lord bless ya all
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2013
MY FELLOW IGBOS ARE UTTERLY HEARTLESS TO
OTHER TRIBES !
Going by my name, Tony Kanu, there's no doubt
i'm Igbo. Judging by the title of this piece, some
may assert i'm ANTI-IGBO but i don't care
because i'm out to let the World know that Ndi-
Igbo are utterly 'heartless' towards other tribes
in Nigeria, and i don't care who's ox is gored
with this outburst!
I must say the truth because other tribes,
especially the South Westerners & the North,
are ceaselessly complaining BITTERLY about this
and it pushed me to feel pity for them in the
spirit of fairness.
Please why are my fellow Igbos so heartless?!
They are so mean that they've virtually taken
over what may have been shared with other
tribes in Nigeria? Are you reading this piece and
still lost over the aim since i am supposedly
Igbo who's meant to protect the Igbo interest?
Okay, now look at these facts and tell me if Ndi-
Igbo are not HEARTLESS...
1. Ndi-Igbo are the only tribe in Nigeria that
have been able to exhibit ingenuity of the most
amazing level. The Igbo wonders at home & in
the diaspora have left many to wonder what
breed of humans are the Igbo! Ndi-Igbo make
outstanding progress where others NEVER dare
even step a foot on! Yes! Why should it be only
Igbos that'll be so progressive in Nigeria &
beyond?! Why have Ndi-Igbo refused to join
some others in being very lazy, disgruntled &
whine about the whole place with folly of the
most despicable level as if its their culture?!
Isn't that heartlessness that Ndi-Igbo
subconsciously make others look non-existent
going by the Igbo strides?
2. Is it not heartlessness that supposedly
"uninformed" Igbo youths from rural areas in
Igboland would pick up their POLYTHENE BAGS
with probably only a wornout T-shirt & jeans in
it, take a BOLD STEP down to urban areas &
Metropolitan cities like Lagos, and engage in
apprenticeship to their already established Igbo
kith in business OR engage in Petty trading OR
Artisanship and within a few years in Lagos or
elsewhere, become established & wealthy
businessmen or craftsmen owing to their dogged
perseverance and strong will to excel despite all
odds? Is it not heartlessness that the Igbo youth
see golden opportunities where others fail to
and explore those opportunities while their
contemporaries from other tribes waste away
their youthfulness on their penchant for
merriment, frivolities & a failure to be useful to
the society while lazying about and prostrating
before every Tom for N50 tip? If not
heartlessness why haven't the Igbo youth joined
others in such 'unfruitful' lifestyle so the Igbo
youth wouldn't be seen as CHAMPIONS they are
today?
3. If not heartlessness,why do the Igbo allow
that Igbo Wisdom & superiority traits to exhume
itself even in the most discomfort situations,
thereby proving the natural tendencies of the
Igbo to excel on all fronts?
WHY?! Why only the Igbo in Nigeria utilizing &
enjoying some of the best natural gifts &
potentials God the creator gave every human?
Ndi Igbo are so heartless that they have all these
to themselves.-
·The most dynamic tribe in Africa
·The most ingenious tribe in Africa
·The most enterprising tribe in Africa
·The most intelligent tribe in Africa
·The most respected tribe in Africa
·The most self-sufficient tribe in Africa
·The most friendly tribe in Africa
·The tribe with most widespread-commercial-
endeavour in the World
·The most adventurous tribe in the World
·The most hospitable tribe in West-Africa
·The most beautiful tribe in West-Africa
·The most attractive tribe in Nigeria
·The most courageous tribe in Nigeria
·The most hardworking tribe in Nigeria
·The most successful tribe in Nigeria
·The most progressive tribe in Nigeria
·The most outstanding tribe in Nigeria
·The most appealing tribe in Nigeria
·The most elegant tribe in Nigeria
·The tribe with the most entrepreneurial success
in West-Africa
·The tribe that has produced the most notable
heroes from Nigeria
One very significant & unforgettable part of the
Igbo story is this....
If after confiscation of the Igbo wealth in the
late 1960s and we rebuilt our vast & glorious
empires with just £20 and extended to every
nook & cranny of the World and became very
renowned tycoons, then there's something
pleasantly mysterious & very special about the
Igbo blood!
Not sounding cocky, If you can't beat the Igbo,
you'll be very welcome to join the Igbo because
we are very accomodating.
At this point, i can see the scowled faces of
many Igbo antagonists who may have hailed the
title of this piece and expected it to be another
bashing spree against Ndi-Igbo but disappointed
now. Let them deal with it!
If the title of this essay is unsuitable to some,
the "THE REDEFINITION OF 'HEARTLESSNESS' BY
THE IGBO" will very well suit.
Anyone who hates the Igbo should blame GOD
Almighty for making Ndi-Igbo whom & what
they are and watch HIS reactions. But if God
can't be blamed which is FACT, then let these
antagonists deal with another FACT that Ndi-Igbo
are SUPER-HUMANS specially made by God
Almighty to be blessing to humanity & our
neighbours that so hate us!
Love or Hate Ndi-Igbo, We'd remain miles away
from others with our God-given wisdom,
intelligence, ingenuity, excellence & progress.
Aka Chukwu Di Ya!

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Wulfruna(f): 12:21am On Nov 06, 2013
You actually ARE losing sleep over this, Tony. If you ain't, why is it eating you up so much how Agbontaen and Sony and some other people choose to identify themselves? Why all the bitterness and insults laced in your comments? One would think you stand to gain something personally if you manage to convince them they are Igbos. Give it an effing break already! This is like the oldest debate on Nairaland.

No Igbos in Sierra Leone either (except maybe recent settlers); just people of Igbo descent. Different things Their ethnic identity is now Krio. And they are actually a very mixed people.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:27am On Nov 06, 2013
[quote author=Wulfruna]You actually ARE losing sleep over this, Tony. If you ain't, why is it eating you up so much how Agbontaen and Sony and some other people choose to identify themselves? Why all the bitterness and insults laced in your comments? One would think you stand to gain something personally if you manage to convince them they are Igbos. Give it an effing break already! This is like the oldest debate on Nairaland.

No Igbos in Sierra Leone either (except maybe recent settlers); just

my dear I am not interested in them...they don't have any to offer I must be frank...I know that there is a handful of them in ika that's why we have what is called black sheep. they bear igbo names and other tribes sees them as igbo but they have servitude mentality and orientation....the evidences are abound. in my place where I live in lagos and travelled wide its hard to see ika denying there igboness unless the ones with questionable ancestry and they are bottom of pyramid...I thank lord for creating me igbo to be honest....they can do spirit GOD gave us in all facets of life.....we took on Nigeria and they are just waalkover
well if being 90% of the national soccer team
90% of the movie industry
90% of the middle class
the most successful at music
the most successful at literature
the most successful at science
the most successful at art
the most successful in education
and the most successful in our areas and in your
areas as well as that of others
hell we're even the most successful at the
crimes that all nigerians participate in but aren't
ingenious enough to do was well as igbos lol
isn't acting like we're the majority idk what is.
i like and respect yoruba ppl and i accept them
as brothers in a common struggle, so dont meet
my comments with igbo bashing if you don't
want to hear uncomfortable truths.
the only thing you ppl will bring up that igbos
are dominate in is government, but the nigerian
government is the only thing in nigeria that
constantly doesn't work.
l

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:36am On Nov 06, 2013
dear I am not interested in them...they don't have any to offer I must be
frank...I know that there is a handful of them in ika that's why we have what is
called black sheep. they bear igbo names and other tribes sees them as igbo but
they have servitude mentality and orientation....the evidences are abound. in my
place where I live in lagos and travelled wide its hard to see ika denying there
igboness unless the ones with questionable ancestry and they are bottom of
pyramid...I thank lord for creating me igbo to be honest....they can do spirit
GOD gave us in all facets of life.....we took on Nigeria and they are just
waalkover

I am particular about what and how other tribes see em...you know that an Apple spoils the whole bunch and when a lie is been constantly told over time .it will have a semblance of truth....so nipping em at the bud is imperative. thank lord for internet so we can tell them the truth.

ofu aka ruta mmanu ozuo ora onu

that's an igbo saying

igbos which I am a member of that exclusive club, well if being 90% of the national soccer team
90% of the movie industry
90% of the middle class
the most successful at music
the most successful at literature
the most successful at science
the most successful at art
the most successful in education
and the most successful in our areas and in your
areas as well as that of others
hell we're even the most successful at the
crimes that all nigerians participate in but aren't
ingenious enough to do was well as igbos lol
isn't acting like we're the majority idk what is.
i like and respect yoruba ppl and i accept them
as brothers in a common struggle, so dont meet
my comments with igbo bashing if you don't
want to hear uncomfortable truths.
the only thing you ppl will bring up that igbos
are dominate in is government, but the nigerian
government is the only thing in nigeria that
constantly doesn't work.
l
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
Thank you tony, i had been busy and was really turned off by afam's point of view on why some efulefus are disclaiming Igbo. Afam's conclusion was that they deny igbo because there is nothing to be proud of being Igbo any longer, that is the worst bullshit i had ever heard.

No naija ethnic group is excelling more than the Igbo as of present, so many igbo sons are excelling in their life endeavours, take a look at the under 17 football national team, why won't any igbo be proud that his ethnic group can produce a talent like Iheanacho, how about Emenike for super eagles,P Square, Chinua achebe, and other inexhaustable list of Igbo sons. Flavour through his songs has got all of african countries unknowingly singing in Igbo language, why won't any reasonable person be proud of that, collectively through nollywood, we had managed to present and sell Igbo culture to the rest of africa, when a south african or kenyan thinks of Nigerian culture, he is unconsciously thinking of Igbo culture.

I can remember when the late brenda fasie visited Nigeria, she told an audience of nigerian dignitaries that she can speak nigerian language, they were all left stunned when she started speaking igbo words like 'kedu' and so on.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 7:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva]
It's not about what they are, but want they accept that they are. We can clearly see that they are as Igbo as any one of us but politics has made their link to other Igbos severed and as such don't see the big deal in wanting to be called Igbo. Even the ones among them that accept the Igbo tag are very passive in their Igboness. You won't see the kind of Igbo consciousness that you see in an Anambra man for example in them. It will only take some kind of Igbo revolution, be it in politics, culture, economics or social for them to come back to the fold. Once there's something to be be proud of as an Igbo man that is glaring, you don't need to convince or force anyone to be Igbo. So you know that when i grew up in Ikwerreland in the 90s, there were more pro-Igbo Ikwerre people than now? The reason being that compared to now, then there were more artifacts in terms of Music, movies etc for someone to want to be identified as Igbo. Then almost every Ikwerre man had the music of Olive de Coque, Osadebe and watched Igbo movies like no tomorrow. But things have changed now because all these Igbo artifacts have gone away and there's really nothing to hold onto. Not politics, economics, culture. We don't own, Lagos, Abuja. Infact, it seems to me that those people that are constant living in denial are better off than the people who are convincing them of their Igboness. My personal opinion[/quot]

This doesn't make sense in any form at all. Flavour still sings in igbo and his music still sell all over Africa,before that Psquare always had the habit of singing in 'Engliigbo', songs like 'ifunnanya' 'beautiful onyinye' 'I love you' 'bunie ya enu',etc are heavily mixed with igbo. Culture wise, our Igbo culture is the most known throughout Africa,courtsey of our success with Nollywood. Economics, igbos are doing ok in that aspect,wealth in igboland is relatively evenly distributed. Lagos/Abuja was/is Nigerian capital, no part of igboland had ever been the capital of nigeria, so i don't understand how that could become an issue now.

How are the efulefus doing better than the real igbos that uphold their identity? Before the fall of the east, Osadebey through the help of Igbos of the East reigned over Edo and Delta state, some years down the line, these efulefus haven denied themselves can't even rule over delta, the urhrobos are lording it over them, what have they been able to achieve as a group since their denial of themselves began?
Aniomas had become perpetual failures in Delta politics, what right do they have to talk about the failure of the igbos of the east in the national politics since after the war

If they are wise, they would have known the whole igbo race suffered a fatal political injury when biafra fell in 1970, just like the igbos of the east suffered under the northern and yoruba gang up in the national set up, so did the igbos of the midwest suffer under the gang up of otherwise powerless minorities of the midwest, they had ganged up against them, their denial of themselves never saved them. The igbos of rivers started having their way when the ijaws were made a minority in rivers by carving them into bayelsa, a moved orchestrated by the igbos of the east,in Azikiwe and Ukiwe.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
[quote author=pazienza][/quote]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BLACK SHEEP IN THE FLOCK, THERE IS ALWAYS A JUDAS IN THE APOSTLES.THERE IS ALWAYS A TURN COATS, SOME OF THESE IDIOTS WILL BUTTRESS THEIR CLAIMS BY SAYING THAT THE PARENTS TOLD THEM THAT THEY ARE NOT IGBO, YOU CAN SEE THEIR STUPIDITY HERE.... I DONT GIVE TWO HELLS ABOUT THEM JUST THAT THEY DISGRACE IGBO NATION COS OTHER TRIBE SEE THEM AS BEEN STUPID AND CUNNY.

HOW CAN SOMEBODY THAT BEARS CHINEDU, BEARS IGBO SURENME, SPEAKS IGBO AND HAVE IGBO CULTURE THEN TURN AROUND AND SAY HE AINT IGBO AND YOU THINK THAT OTHER TRIBE WILL TRUST HIM AND GIVE HIM A RED CARPET RECEPTION? HELL NO! HE WILL BE DERIDED, NOT TRUSTED ETC. THAT IS MY CONTENTION

WHEN I WANTED TO MARRY MY UKWUANI WIFE, I TOLD MY URHOBO FRIEND MUM JOKINGLY THAT UKWANI AINT IGBO... SHE SAID DONT MIND THEM THEY ARE LIERS, WHEN I WAS SERVING THE IGBANKE WOMAN IN MY HOUSE AT OGIDA, OUR BENIN LANDLADY KEEP CALLING HER OVWIE IGBO, I HAD TO ASK WHAT IS THAT ... THEY TOLD ME,CORPER IT MEANS IGBO WOMAN. SO ITS A DISGRACE TO HAVE ID CRISIS,

JUST MET THIS EXTREMELY PRETTY LADY AND INTELLIGENT LADY IN AN INTERNATIONAL IT FIRM HERE IN LAGOS, WHE HAD MEETING WHEN SHE TOLD ME HER NAME IS NKECHI, VERY INTELLIGENT LADY, WE AUTOMATICALLY SWITCHED TO IGBO, MEETING DONE SEEMLESSLY. SO WHY CAN I BE PROUD TO BE AMONGST THE BLESSED MAJORITY.

TOO IGBOTIC
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:42pm On Nov 07, 2013
THEY ARE NOT IGBO THEY WERE MASSACRED LIKE COWS IN OBIARUKU ... ASABA ARE SO MY BROTHERS,OSHIMILI ARE SO MY BROTHERS PLUS IGBODO AND SOME IKA BUT SONY4ALL AND AGBONTEAN HE IS A VIPER,PUFF ADDER AND RATTLESNAKE COMBO
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
Wulfruna: You actually ARE losing sleep over this, Tony. If you ain't, why is it eating you up so much how Agbontaen and Sony and some other people choose to identify themselves? Why all the bitterness and insults laced in your comments? One would think you stand to gain something personally if you manage to convince them they are Igbos. Give it an effing break already! This is like the oldest debate on Nairaland.

No Igbos in Sierra Leone either (except maybe recent settlers); just people of Igbo descent. Different things Their ethnic identity is now Krio. And they are actually a very mixed people.

http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-profile.php?peo3=12189&rog3=EK

People-in-Country Profile

People Selector:
Print version:
Step 1 - Select a Country: Send us your updates!
Step 2 - Select a People:
Igbo of Equatorial Guinea
Igbo
Photo source: The Evangelisers Team Ministries Int'l

Send us a photo of this people. [1]

Send us a map of this people group in this country.
Population [2] Language Religion % Christian % Evangl Online NT Jesus Film Progress
31,000 Igbo Christianity 100.00 % 10.00 %
Profile Text
Submit Profile Text:
No profile text currently available.

Joshua Project welcomes profile text suggestions. Profiles should be approximately 1,000 words and use the outline:

Introduction / History
Where are they located?
What are their lives like?
What are their beliefs?
What are their needs?
Prayer Points

Prayer Links
PrayerGuard.net

Geography
Submit Update:
Continent: Africa
Region: West and Central Africa
10/40 Window: No

Maps
Submit Map:
Country Map: Political map
Linguistic Map: Ethnologue language map

Peoples [3]
Submit Update:
People Name in Country: Igbo
People Name General: Igbo
Alternate People Names:
Ibo Igbo, Upper
Onitsha Ungwana
Upper
ROP3 Code: 103963
Joshua Project People ID: 12189
Indigenous: No
Population in Country: 31,000
Population all Countries: 25,348,000
Least-Reached: No

Ethnicity
Affinity Bloc: Sub-Saharan Peoples
People Cluster: Igbo
People Name General: Igbo
Ethnic Code: NAB59h
Ethnic Relationships: Affinity Bloc -> People Cluster -> Peoples Ethnicity Tree

Language
Submit Update:
Primary Language: Igbo
Language Code (ISO): ibo Ethnologue Listing
Total Languages: 1

Religion [4]
Submit Update:
Primary Religion: Christianity
Religion Sub-division: Roman Catholic
Major Religions:
Buddhism 0.00 %
Christianity 100.00 % (Evangelical: 10.00 %)
Ethnic Religions 0.00 %
Hinduism 0.00 %
Islam 0.00 %
Non-Religious 0.00 %
Other / Small 0.00 %
Unknown 0.00 %
Christianity Segments:
Anglican 0.00 %
Independent 10.00 %
Protestant 10.00 %
Orthodox 0.00 %
Other Christian 0.00 %
Roman Catholic 80.00 %

(Evangelicals distributed across Christianity segments)

Progress Indicators [5]
Progress Scale: [6] 3.2 Evangelicals >5%
Least-Reached: No
GSEC Status: Level 5 Greater than or equal to 5% Evangelical

Bible Translation Status
Submit Update:
Bible Portions: 1860-1950
New Testament:
1900-1981 Online New Testament
Complete Bible: 1906-2006
Possible Bible Sources: Forum of Bible Agencies
World Bible Finder
World Christian Resource Directory
Gospel Go

Ministry Resources [7]
Audio Recordings MegaVoice Audio Bible and Stories
Audio Recordings Global Recordings
Audio Recordings Online New Testament (FCBH)
Film / Video Jesus Film: view in Igbo
Film / Video Story of Jesus for Children
General Four Spiritual Laws
General Got Questions Ministry
Scripture Bible-in-Your-Language
Scripture The Seed Company Translation Project
Scripture World Missionary Press Booklets

Ministry Activity
Register Ministry Activity:
Description: Register your ministry activity among this people group. Contact the Adopt-A-People Clearinghouse and Unleashed for the Unreached to learn about others that might be focused on this people group.

Data Notes:

Data Sources:

Peoples

Geographic

Global Global
All Affinity Blocs / People Clusters

All Regions / Continents
Affinity Bloc Global

Sub-Saharan Peoples

All Countries

People Cluster

Region

Igbo West and Central Africa

People-Group-Across-Countries

Country

Igbo Equatorial Guinea
People-by-Country (Profile)
Religion Language
Christianity Igbo
Global
Language

All Religions

Religion
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Wulfruna: You actually ARE losing sleep over this, Tony. If you ain't, why is it eating you up so much how Agbontaen and Sony and some other people choose to identify themselves? Why all the bitterness and insults laced in your comments? One would think you stand to gain something personally if you manage to convince them they are Igbos. Give it an effing break already! This is like the oldest debate on Nairaland.

Who are the Igbo? - the Twentieth Century
In the previous chapter I have discussed what
may be called the several pre-colonial bases for
Igbo identity. I have argued that many commun
ities existed in what now constitutes the Igbo
area which showed, in their culture and social
organization, a number of characteristics that
have become important aspects of Igbo identity
. During this period, however, the notion that
these people shared one common culture and
belonged to one Igbo people was absent. Not
surprisingly, the ethnonym I
gbo was not accepted. Many communities did not know the
expression Igbo, while in other communities the te
rm was said to refer to other groups, which
were often regarded as slaves or as otherwise inferior. The ethnonym Igbo that existed was
employed usually by outsiders, primarily in relation to the slave trade. Later, the ethnonym
referred to the Igbo community in Sierra Leone. In the Igbo area itself, it was used during the
nineteenth century by missionaries and explorers. It was only during the colonial period that
the Igbo people crystallized as one group, accepti
ng the term Igbo as an appropriate ethnonym.
In this chapter, this process will be
traced on through the twentieth century.
In contrast to the other chapters, the present one is largely based on existing literature.
This reflects the considerable amount of research that has been dedicated to this important
period in Nigerian history. However, despite a
ll this attention, no publication has yet discussed
this era from the specific persp
ective of the development of I
gbo identity. Therefore, I felt it
necessary to provide the reader with a brief overview of the colonial and early postcolonial
historical context, focusing on those developments that were especially relevant to the
emergence of Igbo identity and ethnic nationalism.
As the subsequent chapters will concentrate
on aspects of language and culture, this chapte
r's main focus will be on social and political
matters. While this is of course fairly traditional in conception, the present discussion goes
further than the existing litera
ture where it explores the im
plications for Igbo identity.
The twentieth century developments discussed here are linked to the earlier processes that
were described in the previous chapter. A
lthough Igbo ethnic identity
developed within the
context of the Nigerian colonial
society and is, as such, to a larg
e extent influenced by contem-
porary developments in the country as a whole, it also drew on the history of the part of Africa
that has since become known as Igboland, on the ideas about an Igbo people developed during
the nineteenth century, and on the existence of an ethnonym `Igbo'.
This chapter consists of three parts. In the
first section, I address the question of why Igbo
cultural nationalism did not develop during the s
econd half of the nineteenth century, while it
did among a number of other West African groups such as the Yoruba.
In the middle section I
introduce the colonial context, while in the final section I discuss the functioning of Nigerian
party politics and especially the importance of id
eas about ethnic groups that eventually led to
See for examples the papers collected in Kari
n Barber and P. F. de Moraes Farias, eds.,
Self-Assertion and
Brokerage. Early Cultural Na
tionalism in West Africa
(Birmingham 1990).
Who are the Igbo? - the Twentieth Century
an `ethnicization' of
Nigerian politics that greatly influe
nced perceptions of Igbo identity.
3.1 Early Igbo cultural nationalism?
The present existence of a sense of belonging
based on a shared Igbo identity is a relatively
recent phenomenon. It emerged during the twentieth
century, within the cont
ext of the colonial
experience. Compared to Yoruba cultural nationalism, this was rather late. Already during the
1840s and 1850s, an interest in Yoruba hist
ory and culture developed among the Western
educated Yoruba elite in Lagos (which existed mainly of returners from Sierra Leone).
This
interest became especially strong after 1880,
when racialist attitudes developed among the
British and a more formal colonial system emerged in Lagos. As a result, educated Yorubas
found it increasingly difficult to acquire and k
eep positions in the mission and the colonial
government. They were forced to look for alte
rnatives, and found these
in a cultural identity
based on Yoruba culture. This resulted in the establishing of cultural societies, the founding of
African churches, the cooperati
on with indigenous political elite
s, and the formation of a
nationalist movement.
That this was not merely an academical sta
nd, but a reflection of
the choices individuals
had to make in the context of the early colonial society, can be illustrated with the life story of
Adegboyega Edun. Born as Jacob Henryson Samuel
to a father who was a returnee from Sierra
Leone, and a mother who was Yoruba, he grew
up to be a `black Englishman'. He was the
principal of the Methodist Boys' High School, Lagos, between 1896 and 1902, but lost this
position due to a scandal resulting from what has been described as his `worldly activities'.
Having lost this position, he became the Governme
nt Secretary to the ruler of Abeokuta, the
Alake. He became member of several Yoruba cultu
ral societies, wore Yoruba dress (also when
visiting the United Kingdom) and, in 1904, changed his name to Adegboyega Edun.
The debate on Yoruba history and culture was particularly lively. Its participants not only
contrasted the Yoruba with th
e British, they also used it in
the political struggle among the
Yoruba towns about which town should be recogni
zed as the core of Yoruba culture and could
thus claim political prominence, and, finally, they addressed the differences between Christian
and Muslim Yoruba.
As a result of this, a body of early
literature on Yoruba exists, written by
Yoruba (often in the English language, but also
in Yoruba), whereas the equivalent cannot be
found for the Igbo.
By the time a cultural nationalist movement, involving the foundation of Igbo cultural
E. A. Ayandele,
The Educated Elite in the Nigerian Society
(Ibadan 1974) 11.
Michel R. Doortmont,
Recapturing the Past. Samuel Johnson and the C
onstruction of the History of the Yoruba
(Ph.D. Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam 1994) 15.
Agneta Pallinder, `Adegboyega Edun: Black Englishman and Yo
ruba cultural patriot' in: Karin Barber and P. F. de
Moraes Farias, eds.,
Self-Assertion and Brokerage. Early Cultural Nationalism in West Africa
(Birmingham 1990) 13.
Doortmont,
Recapturing the past
13; Robin Law, `Constructing “a real na
tional history”: a comparison of Edward
Blyden and Samuel Johnson' in: K. Barber and P. F. de Moraes Farias, eds.,
Self-Assertion and Brokerage. Early
Cultural Nationalism in West Africa
(Birmingham 1990).
Dmitri van den Bersselaar
societies, developed among the Igbo, in the
1940s, the Yoruba had moved on to a political
Yoruba nationalism which involve
d the founding of a Yoruba po
litical party, the Action Group
(AG). In view of the different evolutions of the diverse Nigerian ethnic nationalisms, it is
necessary to study the development of Igbo ethnic nationalism in the context of the Nigerian
colonial state, and to compare that development with that of other groups.
Sierra Leone Igbo
I have mentioned above the existence of an Igbo community in nineteenth century Sierra
Leone. This was a community in a very real sense, with its own Igbo Union and other
organizations. Yet, unlike the ni
neteenth century Yoruba, the I
gbo elite did not develop its own
political Igbo nationalism. A strand
of nationalism did evolve in Si
erra Leone, it is true, which
was propagated also by thinkers of Igbo des
cent, but it was a nationalism concerned with
Africa

as opposed to Europe or Britain

, not with the Igbo.
One of the most influential of these early nationalists was James Africanus Horton,
a
medical doctor of Igbo parentage,
who, working as a doctor with the British armed forces, had
been to many places on the coast of West Afri
ca, but had never visited the Igbo area. In 1868
his influential book
West African Countries and Peoples
was published. Horton wrote the book
in order to show that Africans could live in th
eir own, independent stat
es, and reach the same
level as Europe, provided they accepted the Eur
opean religion, philos
ophy, and technology; all
of which Horton considered far superior to anything Africa had to offer.
After an initial discussion of
`The Negro's place in nature' wh
ich predicts the `progressive
advancement of the Negro Race under civilizi
ng influence', the book describes many West
African peoples, and discusses the developments
necessary to turn these into viable modern
nations. Among these peoples is the `Empire of the Eboes'. Notwithstanding his own Igbo
background, Horton had to rely heavily on printed sources

such as
The African Times
Equiano's autobiography, and the reports by Baikie and by the first missionaries

for his
description of the Igbo.
Nor did he appear to be unduly bia
ssed in favour of the Igbo, describ-
ing them as `a savage, barbarous race'
, made up of `wild and lawless tribes'.
The Sierra Leone Igbo population did not develop into a stable, lasting community. Many of
the recaptives continued to feel
exiled, a feeling which was in
tensified by dwindling economic
opportunities in Sierra Leone. They found themse
lves without capital or relevant technical
abilities in an foreign land which could not o
ffer enough employment opportunities to absorb
the large number of recaptives. Added to this we
re a shortage of arable land and a lack of
women.
Many recaptives tried their
luck elsewhere. A group of I
gbo were among those who left
Robert W. July,
The Origins of Modern African Thought
(London 1968) 129.
James Africanus Horton,
West African Countries and Peoples
(1868; reprinted Edinburgh 1969).
Ibidem
, 154, 172-175.
Ibidem
, 175, 177.
J. H. Kopytoff,
A Preface to Modern Nigeria. Th
e `Sierra Leonians' in Yoruba, 1830-1890
(Madison 1965) 30.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 10:23pm On Nov 07, 2013
pazienza: This doesn't make sense in any form at all. Flavour still sings in igbo and his music still sell all over Africa,before that Psquare always had the habit of singing in 'Engliigbo', songs like 'ifunnanya' 'beautiful onyinye' 'I love you' 'bunie ya enu',etc are heavily mixed with igbo. Culture wise, our Igbo culture is the most known throughout Africa,courtsey of our success with Nollywood. Economics, igbos are doing ok in that aspect,wealth in igboland is relatively evenly distributed. Lagos/Abuja was/is Nigerian capital, no part of igboland had ever been the capital of nigeria, so i don't understand how that could become an issue now.

How are the efulefus doing better than the real igbos that uphold their identity? Before the fall of the east, Osadebey through the help of Igbos of the East reigned over Edo and Delta state, some years down the line, these efulefus haven denied themselves can't even rule over delta, the urhrobos are lording it over them, what have they been able to achieve as a group since their denial of themselves began?
Aniomas had become perpetual failures in Delta politics, what right do they have to talk about the failure of the igbos of the east in the national politics since after the war

If they are wise, they would have known the whole igbo race suffered a fatal political injury when biafra fell in 1970, just like the igbos of the east suffered under the northern and yoruba gang up in the national set up, so did the igbos of the midwest suffer under the gang up of otherwise powerless minorities of the midwest, they had ganged up against them, their denial of themselves never saved them. The igbos of rivers started having their way when the ijaws were made a minority in rivers by carving them into bayelsa, a moved orchestrated by the igbos of the east,in Azikiwe and Ukiwe.
So, if you're asked to list Igbo songs, you'll list Flavour and Psquare's music. How low have our standards fallen. These songs are usually not more than 30% Igbo yhet you classify them as Igbo music. How much English did the likes of Osadebey and Oliver De Coque use in their songs? Our standards about what Igbo should be have taken a nose dive that any song that has "Bia" or "Chineke" in it is classified as an Igbo song.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 11:10pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, if you're asked to list Igbo songs, you'll list Flavour and Psquare's music. How low have our standards fallen. These songs are usually not more than 30% Igbo yhet you classify them as Igbo music. How much English did the likes of Osadebey and Oliver De Coque use in their songs? Our standards about what Igbo should be have taken a nose dive that any song that has "Bia" or "Chineke" in it is classified as an Igbo song.

Modern music is all about business,the aim is to reach bigger audience, so modern Igbo muscians have to improvise,they are not living in the same era as oliver de conque and Osadebe, even oliver had to lace his music with english at times, olivers's 'funny identity' and 'opportunity' have less igbo than flavour's 'ada ada' and 'to be a man'.

The most important thing is that they are promoting igbo culture and language,in a language both igbos and non- igbos find appealling, it's a business strategy that is working.

Those efulefus cannot point to the dearth of 'pure' igbo musicians for their psychiatric denial of themselves. They are just mad and need help.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:43am On Nov 08, 2013
so flavor the anambra man doesnt sing igbo music.p square from anambra,lynxx the asaba boys that did a duel with some igbo rappers the name of the track is IBM(IGBO BOYS MOVEMENT) OH WHAT ABOUT PHYNO WHAT ABOUT CHIDINMA WHAT ABOUT IKECHUKWU WHAT ABOUT GENEVIEVE AND IGBO ACTRESS WHAT ABOUT INTELLIGENSIAS LIKE ME, MY JUNIOR BROTHER WHO IS A MECHANICAL ENGINEER LECTURER IN ICELAND,WHAT ABOUT WELLTECH THE INDIGIOUS OIL DRILLING GIANT FROM MY VILLAGE IN NNEWI SOUTH WHAT ABOUT CHISCO MY VILLAGE DUDE WHAT ABOUT THE REST 40 million plus potential igbos what about the first black man to manufacture car in quantity innoson,what about the first black tablet ovim phones what about the first Nigerian computer the first with naira sign zinox what about our banks like diamond fidelity etc..what about our freed ed…in imo what about our literature masters like ache,chimamanda,flora swamp,elect amadi...what about our ed stats in jamb etc. what about mathematics proofs chika obi et al,internationally known what about the best cbn governor siluko,what of ezekwesiri,what of ngozi iweala,what of utomi,what Ben nwabueze,what pascal dozie,what jim ik

why won't I be proud igbo...go to Alabama,go to abuja then LEKKI u will be proud.these I be Benin igbo de fall igbo hand...I don't want to use the word fake igbo
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:53am On Nov 08, 2013
I am working on some igbo words on my HTC that's why you would see some typos please

I AM NOT HYSTERICAL BUT TRYING NOT TO BE INFLUENTIAL...THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CALLED WHATEVER BE IT MONKEY IGBO BENIN MIGRANT,UNASSIMILATED IGBOS ,UNINSPIRING IGBO BUT THEY SHOULD PLS CHOOSE ANOTHER LANGUAGE AND NAMES WITH CULTURE.WE CHERISH OUR CULTURE.

I HAVE BEEN HOLDING THIS FOR SOMETIME BUT I HAVE TO SAY IT....I WAS IN A PLACE A BEGGER APPROACH ONE MAN SAYING HELP ME...AWUM ONYE IGBO...FROM HIS ACCENT AND LEFT IT'S OBVIOUS HE IS IKA OR THESE DELTA PERIPHERALS ..WHEN HE WAS GIVEN MONEY COS HIS EMOTIONS WAS APPEALED UPON HE TURNED BACK AND SAID I AM NOT IGBO...SO CAN U TRUST THESE DUDES

PEOPLE ARE COMING TOGETHER .MEN YOU CUT URSELF..YOU CAN'T DO IT ALONE LOOK AT IGBANKE IN THEIR SORRY SITUATION....DO YOU THINK YOU ARE BETTER OFF.YOUR LIGHT YEARS BEHIND SO DON'T FUCKINGGG FEEL SPECIAL AGBONTEAS
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:30pm On Nov 08, 2013
1. i am very happy i am not igbo but ika , and my ancestors never came under any igbo union , and that is how it will be for majority of ika people.
2. i am also happy that my ancestral or family names are bini names and not igbo names , and if you see any igbo names in our lineage it is a recent development , if you go way back it will land you in a benin name , however i am proudly ika and not bini or igbo.
3. igbos can continue to deceive themselves that ikas are part of igbo , but the fact is that ika people are not part of ohaneze ndigbo or any igbo ethnic organisation , and i think most igbos dont know the different between ika and aniocha or oshimili, .
4. ika intelligesia , kings and chiefs and population in their majority belong to ogua /onu ika , and that is our ethnic socio-cultural organisation .
5. this was quite evident during the civil war when ika in their majority declared they are not igbos and worked with the federal troops to expell biafrans from ika land.
6. although we still see some ika people in their minority around igbodo and ekwuoma who believe they are igbos and that is what formed their support for biafra in civil war period and they suffered lot of problems , but this two communities even totally make up a very small portion of ika people and they are not able to sway majority of ika people who believe they are ika and not igbo.
7. ika is ika and we make bold to say there is nothing like ika-ibo as many ignorant nigerians always say , especially amongst the igbos , as you are either ika or igbo , and there is nothing like hausa -fulani as you are either fulani or hausa .
8. closeness of language can show brotherliness or close relationship but it does not mean two ethnic groups that share close language are thesame such as -----------
1. bini and ishan have close language but they are different ethnic groups.
2. isoko and uhrobo share close language but they are different ethnic group.
3. itsekiri shares language with both yoruba and some aspect being benin , and they are a different ethnic group from yoruba or bini.
so that dismisses any body that want to talk about language similarity .
4. in 1930 isoko was submerged into uhrobo ethnic group and they later pulled away to reclaim their ethnicity as being isoko .
8. ika nation has never been subdued by any ethnicity for long as our fore fathers were always mindful of our unique nature and ethnicity as ika people.
9. coming to language our language is properly called ika , it is a hybrid between benin and igbo and so it is a unique language , although many people today speak incorrect ika and have come under the influence of some of our neighbours , but that is changing as ogua/onu ika has started writing books on ika language and they will start a department of ika language in college of education , agbor in 2016.but right now in delta radio and edo radio , ika news is being read , and they are now writing dictionary in ika language and our culture is being promoted .
10 , ika also has a language called ozara language spoken by some communities in ika land around agbor /ika south local govt. and they are bonafied ika people.
11. igbo is not the name created from heaven , it was a tribe name created with the influence of europeans , and ika has never been part of igbo nation in history , unless the one created by persons who do not know the history of ika people .
13. our language contains igbo words , just as it contains benin and ishan words too and that is what makes ika unique, our culture is heavily from edo , while we have other aspects from igbo , and ika has been descrtibed by historians as the land where west meets the east , that is where edo and igbo cultures meet .and we are proud of our tribe ika.
14. in this world there is freedom of association and the ikas have taken a critical look at nigeria , and we have seen that it is only the ika ethnicity that guarantess our continued existence and not being or joining igbo or benin or any other ethnicity .
15. since 1930 - our fathers declared to the british that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria and on that great declaration , majority of ikas still stand and will continue to keep . our fathers were not foolish when they made such declaration , and for those who choose to be igbo , good luck to them , but for majority of ika people on ika ethnicity we stand

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:38pm On Nov 08, 2013
agbotaen: 1. i am very happy i am not igbo but ika , and my ancestors never came under any igbo union , and that is how it will be for majority of ika people.
2. i am also happy that my ancestral or family names are bini names and not igbo names , and if you see any igbo names in our lineage it is a recent development , if you go way back it will land you in a benin name , however i am proudly ika and not bini or igbo.
3. igbos can continue to deceive themselves that ikas are part of igbo , but the fact is that ika people are not part of ohaneze ndigbo or any igbo ethnic organisation , and i think most igbos dont know the different between ika and aniocha or oshimili, .
4. ika intelligesia , kings and chiefs and population in their majority belong to ogua /onu ika , and that is our ethnic socio-cultural organisation .
5. this was quite evident during the civil war when ika in their majority declared they are not igbos and worked with the federal troops to expell biafrans from ika land.
6. although we still see some ika people in their minority around igbodo and ekwuoma who believe they are igbos and that is what formed their support for biafra in civil war period and they suffered lot of problems , but this two communities even totally make up a very small portion of ika people and they are not able to sway majority of ika people who believe they are ika and not igbo.
7. ika is ika and we make bold to say there is nothing like ika-ibo as many ignorant nigerians always say , especially amongst the igbos , as you are either ika or igbo , and there is nothing like hausa -fulani as you are either fulani or hausa .
8. closeness of language can show brotherliness or close relationship but it does not mean two ethnic groups that share close language are thesame such as -----------
1. bini and ishan have close language but they are different ethnic groups.
2. isoko and uhrobo share close language but they are different ethnic group.
3. itsekiri shares language with both yoruba and some aspect being benin , and they are a different ethnic group from yoruba or bini.
so that dismisses any body that want to talk about language similarity .
4. in 1930 isoko was submerged into uhrobo ethnic group and they later pulled away to reclaim their ethnicity as being isoko .
8. ika nation has never been subdued by any ethnicity for long as our fore fathers were always mindful of our unique nature and ethnicity as ika people.
9. coming to language our language is properly called ika , it is a hybrid between benin and igbo and so it is a unique language , although many people today speak incorrect ika and have come under the influence of some of our neighbours , but that is changing as ogua/onu ika has started writing books on ika language and they will start a department of ika language in college of education , agbor in 2016.but right now in delta radio and edo radio , ika news is being read , and they are now writing dictionary in ika language and our culture is being promoted .
10 , ika also has a language called ozara language spoken by some communities in ika land around agbor /ika south local govt. and they are bonafied ika people.
11. igbo is not the name created from heaven , it was a tribe name created with the influence of europeans , and ika has never been part of igbo nation in history , unless the one created by persons who do not know the history of ika people .
13. our language contains igbo words , just as it contains benin and ishan words too and that is what makes ika unique, our culture is heavily from edo , while we have other aspects from igbo , and ika has been descrtibed by historians as the land where west meets the east , that is where edo and igbo cultures meet .and we are proud of our tribe ika.
14. in this world there is freedom of association and the ikas have taken a critical look at nigeria , and we have seen that it is only the ika ethnicity that guarantess our continued existence and not being or joining igbo or benin or any other ethnicity .
15. since 1930 - our fathers declared to the british that ika is not part of any ethnic group in nigeria and on that great declaration , majority of ikas still stand and will continue to keep . our fathers were not foolish when they made such declaration , and for those who choose to be igbo , good luck to them , but for majority of ika people on ika ethnicity we stand

done with you... i must be honest,you talk for yourself not for igbodo and egbuoma but just yourself bro.... we know your ancestory

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.