Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,014 members, 7,906,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 03:52 PM

Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? (2168 Views)

Video Of How Road Users In The Netherlands Give Way To An Ambulance(pix,vid) / Why Don’t Nigerians Give Way To Emergency Vehicles In Traffic (see PHOTOS) / Why Don’t Nigerians Give Way To Emergency Vehicles In Traffic (see PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by AutoJoshNG: 12:19pm On Jul 09, 2018
Have you noticed that a growing number of ambulances – these days – have the word “ambulance” spelt backwards on the front of the vehicles?

That is, instead of the word “AMBULANCE”, it is spelt as ECNALUBMA.

Ever wondered the reason for that?

Well, the reason simple:

The word is written backwards on the front of the vehicles to enable motorists in front to easily read it on their rear-view mirrors, especially during emergencies.

That way, people looking in their rearview mirrors or side-mirrors can read it as AMBULANCE.

Ambulance are typically in greater speed than surrounding vehicles. This makes the ambulance front visible in the rear-view mirrors of other cars. That way, those cars that need to give way for the ambulance to drive through in traffic would do so..

This is necessary because in traffic, ambulances are supposed to be given right of way and so apart from their sirens; the word ambulance is made easily readable from the mirror of vehicles in front of them.

International standards state that ambulances should have the world ambulance written in reverse on the bonnet.

In some countries, the words “police” and “paramedics” are spelled backwards for similar reason.

In essence, “mirror writing” on vehicles are used to quickly catch the attention of other motorists.

https://autojosh.com/why-is-the-word-ambulance-spelt-backwards-on-emergency-vehicles/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by snadguy007(m): 12:20pm On Jul 09, 2018
Okay
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by Giddymoney(m): 12:22pm On Jul 09, 2018
Because of the crossed eyed people, so that they can be able to read it perfectly

Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by madridguy(m): 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2018
Knowledge is power.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by bedspread: 12:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
Something new learnt Thisday....

But I doubt if that Works in Lagos... cause the people dt drive in Lagos do not give chance at all... Everyone is Rushing to No where!!

Its only after an Accident that Drivers in Lagos Calm down
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by Naijawebmaster: 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2018
Educative! But not all Nigerian drivers care. Even with the siren, they won't still want to give way. They'll be like "I get my own emergency".

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by Imustreturn(m): 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2018
Not for danfo drivers oo grin
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by Esejojo: 12:49pm On Jul 10, 2018
Enlightening. Kudos.
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by mrphysics(m): 12:56pm On Jul 10, 2018
Interesting
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by PrincessB1(f): 10:17pm On Jul 10, 2018
Well explained cool
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by samwash(m): 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2018
I wanted to explain, but the Op above me has given a detailed explanation, so I will just use this opportunity to give you the recipe for making Ogbono soup
* Grounded Ogbono
* stock fish
* Dry fish / fresh fish / meat
* pepper
* red oil
* seasoning
* salt
* grounded crayfish
* vegetable ( optional )
next time I will telling the steps in making Ogbono soup
thanks good night.
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 11, 2018
Autojosh don't post on cartalk because they front push his posts to FP hence uses travel section.
Re: Why Is The Word AMBULANCE Spelt Backwards On Emergency Vehicles? by U1(m): 6:23pm On Jul 12, 2018
samwash:
I wanted to explain, but the Op above me has given a detailed explanation, so I will just use this opportunity to give you the recipe for making Ogbono soup
* Grounded Ogbono
* stock fish
* Dry fish / fresh fish / meat
* pepper
* red oil
* seasoning
* salt
* grounded crayfish
* vegetable ( optional )
next time I will telling the steps in making Ogbono soup
thanks good night.

Um, like seriously?

(1) (Reply)

My Mind Is Telling Me That This Is The Best Time To Travel / Why Not France / You Know You Have Arrived In Lagos When :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.