Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,008 members, 7,928,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 07:45 AM

How To Solve Nigeria's Road Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Solve Nigeria's Road Problem (322 Views)

Nothing To Show Tinubu Is Prepared To Solve Nigeria’s Problems – Atiku / Olawepo Hashim Explains How To Solve Nigeria's Education Problem / 2019: Removing Buhari Will Not Solve Nigeria’s Problems, Says Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Solve Nigeria's Road Problem by propertygeek1: 5:24pm On Jul 19, 2018
HOW TO SOLVE NIGERIA ROAD PROBLEM
July 19, 2018

I was trying to get to apapa wharf before 2pm for a business meeting and as usual, the usual traffic congestion was spanning from mile 2 to tin can . as I was mustering to myself about how to get there on time, my co passenger a teenager in the mass transit bus donated by a politician in anticipation of fooling us into winning our votes slides in to my thoughts with question and answers.
He asked, " what do you think about privatising most roads in the country to different companies? ". In my slow thinking way as a Nigerian with hopes of outwitting him, I answered," ohhh that will be too expensive and too capitalist in thinking. No no no he retorted, each company will have a network of roads which you get a debit alert of #50 to #100 on a day's drive on any network of company A or B or a kobo ly charge on each road that you use. He enthused. Seeing that I wasn't convinced, he continues, the companies will be responsible for their road's maintenance, cleanliness, and security. You wouldn't want to steal a car he added. The owner will quickly call the roads companies and they will stop the car immediately from driving on the their roads and/or easily intercept it at a traffic stop. He went on as how the company would want traffic to be free flowing for various reasons like attracting new drivers and keeping existing ones. Since the roads will be long termed, it will likely be constructed using concrete slab technology. Personally, I will like to drive on a road that's well laid out with beautiful trees, road signs, and lightening he said.
Not wanting to be outdone, I said your idea is lofty, but it will not work in Nigeria, even the kobo ly charge on each roads is too small to cover construction and operational cost. He took a deep breath, turned and took a look at me like he was anticipating I would say that or I was dumb. So he puts, the companies can make more money from traffic offenders like wrong parking, obstruction, picking passengers at the wrong stop, disobeying traffic lights etc which charges will be higher and more likely in the nairaly value. The companies will make more money from laying underground pipes for communication, water, gas etc and renting them out to other companies like MTN, NNPC, PHCN he added. Like a typical Nigerian that likes maintaining the status quo, I told him that it will not work that the companies will later start misbehaving and they might not have the money for such capital intensive project. He smiled and told me that, " the government can regulate the activities and also own 26% of the companies, while 50% will be own by a Nigerian conglomerate and 13% by a foreign firm and the rest will be owned by Nigerians.
Thereby eliminating laot on the roads, traffic congestion, and bad roads. He concluded by saying that " money is never the problem, but idea and sincerity of purpose is."
Me! I sell cement and rod. 08101021884
bad ng
At this junction I had finished my second yogurt and its 5pm and their hasn't been a end in sight
to the traffic congestion .
Then I said to myself, " I think I will vote him for president.
propertygeek1..com/2018/07/how-to-solve-nigeria-road-problem.html
Re: How To Solve Nigeria's Road Problem by Eagba(m): 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2018
You'll need a intelligent and pragmatic leader to carry this out
Re: How To Solve Nigeria's Road Problem by propertygeek1: 11:19am On Jul 20, 2018
lalaticlala. the promise land is a good place

(1) (Reply)

Osun Election: Apc’s Direct Primary Is Fraud – Oyebanji / Samuel Ortom's Defection: Evidence Of Total Collapse Of Buhari's Govt --PDP / Ogun 2019:GNI Kicks Start Consultation Tour…….visits Obafemi Owode Local Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.