Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,622 members, 7,944,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 06:45 AM

Are There Still Jobs Out There? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Still Jobs Out There? (3115 Views)

Are There Still Jobs In Nigeria? / There Re So Many Jobs Out There! / Check This Jobs Out Its Urgent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Godmother(f): 3:21pm On Jun 24, 2010
My cousin has been out of school for 3 years now and is yet to find a job. There is no company she hasnt gone to and she knows piratically every recruiting forum online. She is getting frustrated by the day. Are there still jobs in Nigeria
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by dominique(f): 9:50pm On Jun 24, 2010
i believe they are, but it's just so darn hard to get a good one without some kind of tight connection.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by AjanleKoko: 11:53pm On Jun 24, 2010
She should hang in there, try to find something to do. Learn a trade maybe, start a small business.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by argentina: 6:54pm On Jun 26, 2010
^^^^^ its not that easy, remember , Nigerian university system do not teach their students to be enterpreneurs but obedient employees , besides if she decide to learn a trade wat type of trade would she learn?? and where is she going to get the capital to start??, its an uphill task for the present day Nigerian graduate undecided

my advice is she start small , i.e try and get a low paying job 2 keep body and soul 2gether and then keep on searching 4 something better, there is always a way
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by AjanleKoko: 12:12pm On Jun 28, 2010
^^
It's not that difficult to go and find a little money to learn fashion designing, or some other little trade.
It'll occupy her mind, and get her thinking in another direction entirely. Things are always tough in the beginning, but eventually things do work out.

Mind you, your comment about schools not teaching entrepreneurship is actually the root of the problem in Nigeria today.
Why are we expecting schools to teach entrepreneurship? Universities teach western education, teach you science and arts, and whatever you paid to study. Nobody teaches entrepreneurship, unless you happen to be in some sort of entrepreneurship studies course.
Why should you study physics and expect to be taught entrepreneurship? Or Biology? Or even Accounting?

Artisans don't attend much of school. But they go into entrepreneurship. I don't think it's a function of any school teaching or not teaching. It's just that by nature, people will look for the easiest way out. It's easier to find a job than to create one for yourself. Simple. Most people are driven into entrepreneurship by necessity.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by 12large: 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2010
you guys are mad suggesting about going into fashion design. do you know how painful it is to go to college study hard graduate and don't get jobs only for you to go and apply for fashion design. poster what did she study, because as far as am consined if she studied something big she would get job easily
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by AjanleKoko: 1:38pm On Jun 28, 2010
12large:

you guys are mad suggesting about going into fashion design. do you know how painful it is to go to college study hard graduate and don't get jobs only for you to go and apply for fashion design. poster what did she study, because as far as am consined if she studied something big she would get job easily

Bros (abi na sis),
It's not only in Nigeria that people go to college, study some degree,and end up looking for something else to do.
A job is not a right after college. Anybody who is able to get one is lucky at the end of the day.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by royalicon(m): 1:41pm On Jun 28, 2010
Job is Hard to get , Seems more of our National Anthem.

Try to fix her up for some petty trading for the time being.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by usoldier(m): 1:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
There are jobs. But good & honest people are hard to find.

I have a vacancy which is yet to be filled, if she is hard working and innovative. The job could be hers.

Business Development Officer.
- To develop innovative strategy to market org products
- Generate sales sales sales
- Competitive salary and an attractive bonus.

Interested applicants to send CV to careers@wallartpainting.com
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
diff btw naija and developed nations
in naija,u no go school,you are f**cked and if u go too,u are still f***ked,developed nations,u fit no go school and still make am honestly
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Boller: 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
@poster . . . Yes, job is very diffcult to find nowdays just as husband is. grin grin grin
Anyway, let her not miss the two undecided
She can choose to marry now and job later . .what do you think? wink
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Boller: 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2010
@u-soldier,you are not serious at all embarassed sad

You arel soldier indeed angry

sigh angry
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by akinalabi(m): 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2010
Yes, there are still jobs out there.

What we dont have aplenty are high paying jobs. We also do not have too many people qualified for jobs. We have "general applicants" with no special skills.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by hermosa(f): 2:38pm On Jun 28, 2010
yes there are, sorry to say this but what she needs is hook-ups, that's the only way in.
Everyday people are getting fired, if she can just have the connection, then she golden,
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 28, 2010
my dear there are jobs out there but only with a strong connection. I know of an organisation that recruits almost everyday but strictly on connection. Wish u all d best of luck
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by zikko(m): 2:51pm On Jun 28, 2010
I obtained a National Diploma  in Accounting from Unijos and B.Sc Banking and Finance from Kogi State University. but currently i work in a consulting firm as an investigator (background check and certificate verification officer).  but the job has no career path please if any can help i need a job in a finance company or an accounting department were i can build a career and a future.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by AjanleKoko: 3:00pm On Jun 28, 2010
akinalabi:

Yes, there are still jobs out there.

What  we dont have aplenty are high paying jobs. We also do not have too many people qualified for jobs. We have "general applicants" with no special skills.

Very true.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Nuriel22: 3:27pm On Jun 28, 2010
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by IRAPADA(m): 3:53pm On Jun 28, 2010
My advise is 4 we guys to be self reliance cos if we are waiting 4 our useless govt to provide more jobs we are just wasting our time.U just look for 50k and start selling smtin
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by TeskyMan(m): 4:15pm On Jun 28, 2010
zikko:

I obtained a National Diploma  in Accounting from Unijos and B.Sc Banking and Finance from Kogi State University. but currently i work in a consulting firm as an investigator (background check and certificate verification officer).  but the job has no career path please if any can help i need a job in a finance company or an accounting department were i can build a career and a future.

I'll advice you to try Audit firms. They pay less but you gain more. It depends on what you want now, if you really want to build a career then i guess u need to sacrifice your today for tomorrow in order to aquire hands on experience and you will be a value added person. If you work in an account department of a company, you will be limited to a particular job but if you work in an audit firm and you raise through the ranks, you will be expose to other aspects of finance and accountancy. I tell you, you would have found your path in the financial world. Remember, you'll still need to write professional exams.

Best of luck.

As per poster,
What particular skill does your sister have? Is it a general skill or something unique? Jobs are really hard to come by these days of Banking Tsunami. She could start a small trade or learn to acquire a vocational skill. One thing is our problem as a graduate in Nigeria. The thing is "MY CERTIFCATE". How can i spend 5-7yrs in school and at the end i still have to go and leant a trade? Story Story Story?? Humm! you need to stand out before you can get a good job except you have a very long leg ,highly connected and heavily mouthed(O'lenupa). Imagin, if she has started learning something since last year by now she would have been able to feed herself and even employ at least someone. Its not too late for her to start now. The year is 1/2 way gone, TODAY is the day to start a new thing and before she knew it by December or so, something tangible would have been coming in. Thats my take, pls don't stone me to death nairalanders!!!!

Cheers.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by bolseas(f): 4:48pm On Jun 28, 2010
who says you can not go for fashion designing? we have many graduates (i read somehwere about a chemical engineer- a lady too) who are fashion designers i belive it is all about paying your bills and settling other financials issues and not always depending on people.

what will you say about MOMO etc?

also be at the right place at the right time!
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by ifuk(m): 4:52pm On Jun 28, 2010
Ajanlekoko ------- kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by chemchi: 5:05pm On Jun 28, 2010
I posted a topic titled How managers handle financial risk successfully in any business, there was a mistake when I spelled Manager. Please help me I will like Nairaland to publisher for readers.
Best Regards.
Chemchi
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by samtoye(m): 5:08pm On Jun 28, 2010
Poster, i feel you. The situation is terrible. Please advise her to start looking inward for hidden talents she can convert to paid for skill. Our world is moving back to self employment. Our educational system makes people dependent on white collar jobs rather than being independent economically. Your sister is competing with thousands of existing unemployed graduates, new NYSC discharge, retrenched bank workers with multiple qualification and several years experience. Imagine a position for a marketer requiring Second class upper (2.1), with a salary of N25,000.00 monthly. I wish your sister God's favor.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Shokwen: 5:25pm On Jun 28, 2010
I wish I knew how to sew! Honest advice- U'd get tired of a 9-5 job in a hurry. You're a graduate, do ur sewing with an educated twist if u learn fashion designing. White collar jobs are overrated. Some of my friends that started their own thing are now millionaires while one is still doing the 9-5 or sorry 5-9 (5am to 9pm) thingy. It may be rough at the start but I tell u if u've got quality doing the stuff u'd go places. Sofisticat is a multi-millionaire sewing clothes! Don't waste ur time looking for a 5-9. With determination, passion and God's grace u'd go places. After all Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger, T.M. Lewin, Hughes and Curtis etc na clothes dem dey sew- bottomline. Godspeed sister, go start sumthin!
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by bigpastor(m): 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2010
I want to appreciate the kind contributions being made by NLs
With such spirit of cohesion and brotherliness there's still a ray of hope for our Nation
I sympathize with your sister
NEVER , NEVER GIVE UP
YOUR BREAKTHROUGH IS ON THE WAY
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Jarus(m): 5:37pm On Jun 28, 2010
Much as I must admit there are not many jobs now as there were between 2005-2008, I believe there are still jobs out there.

The period 2005-2008 witnessed mass absorption of graduates by banks in particular and many other companies through mass expansion drive at the period.
The economic meltdown coupled with the not necessarily unnecessary Sanusi tsunami shrank the labour market. With banks, the highest absorber of formal labour, being the worst hit, it told heavily on the labour market.

However, other than companies in the financial services sector, which unfortunately absorb more, many other companies were not affected by the employment cut. My company, for example, in fact, employ more in recent time than before. Ditto for many other non-bank companies. But the challenge is the scale is not as high as in banks that recruit in hundreds.

Having pushed for a number of guys to no avail in recent time, I cannot but agree that jobs are no longer as available as there used to be a couple of years back. In fact, for the first time in over 4 years of connecting people(very qualified people pls) with a very high level contact in a multinational consulting firm few days ago, I got a rare response that 'We have slowed down on recruitment a bit.' If this company used to recruit almost on daily basis says it's slowing down, then that means the situation is serious.

Other questions that may be relevant are: how qualified is your cousin? what class of degree/course does he have/do? How good is he? With right qualifications and proven ability, some people still get jobs in teh face of this situation.
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by TONIAMERO(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
My broda, forget about being man employee,but an employer. Self-employment is the best in our Naija.Stop searching cos you have it, just discover it and you will neva regret. Abeg wen you hammer, no forget me. Paka!!!!!!!!!! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by CarlosVent(m): 7:09pm On Jun 28, 2010
YES.
PRAY AND GOD WILL DIRECT U AND GET D NEEDED CONNECTIONS DATS WHY
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by Jarus(m): 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2010
TONI-AMERO:

My broda, forget about being man employee,but an employer. Self-employment is the best in our Naija.Stop searching cos you have it, just discover it and you will neva regret. Abeg wen you hammer, no forget me. Paka!!!!!!!!!! smiley smiley smiley
We know, but you think it's that easy?
Re: Are There Still Jobs Out There? by LIONGATE: 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2010
If ur looking for job, and u cant find, go to God and find out if ur to be and Employer or Employee. i try but I cant find, today i thank God that He didn't give me one, because am not only working but also employing people in my own company within a year.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Job Opportunities For Professional Cooks/caterers In Lagos / Teacher Needed Urgently Ajah Area / Interswitch Is Hiring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.