Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,568 members, 7,911,480 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 11:18 AM

Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude (748 Views)

Letter To Ghanaians After Nigeria Beat Them 6:1. / Nigerians & Ghanaians Fight On Twitter After Olympics Basketball Loss / Football: Between Nigerians And Ghanaians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by JIY: 5:45pm On Jun 27, 2010
Every African, no matter where in the world, must be glad for Ghana's successful progress to the quarter final of the World cup. More so, because she is the only remaining flag-bearer for the continent.

Support in the stadiums was never going to be a problem for Ghana. South Africans have done the right and proper thing by getting behind the team after Bafana Bafana failed to qualify.

The large contingent of Nigerians and indeed of other Africans in South Africa is surely and solidly behind Ghana.

The Black Stars are living up to their name. We are all proud of them and hope and pray that they progress in the competition as far as possible. In fact, we pray that they win the cup.

Victory for Ghana is victory for the whole continent.

This is as it should be.

This overwhelming support should be a lesson for Ghana and should inspire a change of heart in their attitude.

We should naturally expect that Africans would support other African nations at international competition. Thus, when Cameroon played in the 1990 World Cup, the whole of Nigeria was behind them. There was no distinction. This wasn't just Cameroon playing, it was Africa playing.

But what a surprise it was for me to hear that this is not assumed in Ghana. That, in fact, Ghanaians have been known to rejoice at Nigeria's defeat at international competitions where Nigeria had represented Africa. I heard that they rejoiced when Italy stopped Nigeria in the second round of the '94 World Cup.

Rivalry is understandable. But to rejoice at the failure of a nation representing the whole continent goes beyond the pale. It is unacceptable.

Nigerians are rejoicing for Ghana. We wish you well, and we will be praying that you carry the torch further in the competition. Let this inspire you to do the same for other African countries in the future.

The farther you go in the competition, the more foreign nations would be silenced. They have begun gloating at the failure of the other five representatives. Go on with the wind in your sail and prove them wrong.

Your are the Black Stars. You are our pride.

United we stand, but divided we fall.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/412012-whole-continent-behind-ghana-but-ghana-need-a-change-of-attitude
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by James2a2: 6:41pm On Jun 28, 2010
A graet one bro. Hope they'l learn. A time is coming when Nigeria will be achieving unprecedented successes in all ramifications. I'm sure in my generation, it will happen.
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by Bennyboy11: 7:54pm On Jun 28, 2010
Actually support from a people like you is unwanted because you are deceitful. You have either never been to Ghana and do not know any Ghanaians at all or you just want to misrepresent the truth. The biggest lie ever is that Ghanaians rejoice in Nigeria's defeat, it is simply not true. The whole of Ghana rejoiced and supported Nigeria like mad in 1998, for Cameroon previous to that, and Senegal in 2002. Shame on you

Anyway the comment about Nigeria rising again gave away your jealousy which underpins you comments. Why should Ghana's success prompt the wish for Nigeria to rise again? Can’t Ghana's success been seen independently and for what it is?

Anyway the true Nigerian sympathisers of which there are many will continue to support Ghana with no strings attached, and "player" haters (Literally) like you can go to hell.
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by RSA(m): 9:59am On Jun 29, 2010
I don't think there is a problem with Ghananians attittude as far as I'm concerned,Ghana must go and represent her country with pride and honour as Africans we will rejoice and celebrate with her,we will be celebrating her success and it will be the fruit of her investments and hardwork.

So please people stop shinning on Ghana's shine.Ghana is doing well for herself,and we should be happy for her and learn from her.
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by Bennyboy11: 10:20am On Jun 29, 2010
Thank you RSA precisely the kind of support needed, and the good news is that a lot of Nigerians think like you.
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by ikeyman00(m): 11:52pm On Jun 29, 2010
hmmm
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by K4: 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2010
I need to say a few things here. I lived in Nigeria until a four weeks ago when I moved back to Ghana.While in Nigeria,a lot of Nigerians openly declared their support for opponents of Ghana whenever Ghana played.Some Nigerians openly expressed their hatred for Ghana and made a lot of cynical comments especially when contributing to matches involving Ghana.Yes they was unmistakable animosity among Nigerian fans toward Ghana.I know that as a fact. During the African Cup of Nations 2008-hosted by Ghana-I was attending a meeting at the Merit House in Abuja while Ghana was playing Guinea in the opening match. I came out of the hall and saw the security guys watching the match on a small telly. I asked what the score was.One guard retorted,"it is nil-nil but I want Ghana to lose." I said thank you and left. was in Lagos during the CAN hosted by Senegal.Ghana lost to Ivory Coast via penalties. I was driving along Awolowo Road when a Loud cheer went up. And when I asked folks what was happening they told me Ivory Coast had won! even during the last youth championship in Egypt lots of Nigerians supported Brazil again Ghana in the final.

I haven't seen folks fly their national flag the way I have seen in Ghana. Virtually every vehicle and house carries at least a flag-seen some cars with 2 or 3.The atmosphere is simply incredible!I haven't heard that much talk about Nigeria in the media here so far. My suggestion is that Nigerians have the right to support whichever team they want to support,it wont change the fortunes of Ghana anyway. And so long as they express themselves devoid of insults or denigrating then I don't have a problem with that.

I don't really don't care if Nigerians support Ghana or not.I am rather appalled by the attempt to project this "hatred" as a purely Ghanaian phenomenon. Perhaps some Ghanaians may support teams playing Nigeria but it is obvious that you don't hear the kinda of xenophobic comments you tend to hear on radio stations likeNigeria's Brilla FM in Ghana. Often, the talk is about the Black Stars.Ghanaians sole obsession is with their own national team.
Re: Ghanaians Need To Change Their Attitude by Bennyboy11: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2010
Well said k4. Actually considering the current mood and the support everyone I know including non Afraicans are showing Ghana, a topic like this can only be in bad taste. I have also seen other topics like "Nigerians wake up you're not Ghanaians" or something to that effect, you can look through the topics if you don't believe me.

Anyway I strongly believe that God has a hand in happenings in Ghana, and it goes beyond football.

You can show genuine support or you die of envy but what ever happens, the blackstars of africa as we are now known will make history today and beat Uruguay.

Ghana for life!!!

(1) (Reply)

Freelance Sports Journalist Wanted / Nigeria's 1985 Golden Eaglets Set For Reward At Last / Nff President Aminu Maigari Deserves Praise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.