Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,658 members, 7,979,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 01:01 AM

Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed (15450 Views)

Best Sitting Position To Stay Alert When Driving / 5 Mistakes You Should Carefully Avoid When Driving / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by eaddyboy: 8:51am On Sep 06, 2018
Drive Carefully guys...the more you speed the more the mess when it occurs...Safety First!!
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Jakumo(m): 9:45am On Sep 06, 2018
Juan I will award you a lowly B+ for your rules of fast driving in safety, because you omitted the number one rule of fast driving, which is that the driver must look MUCH further ahead down the highway, than is necessary with normal driving. That "distance of anticipation" can be as long as a half-mile ahead, since that distance will be covered VERY rapidly, at the speeds the vehicle is traveling.

In looking much further ahead, the driver will be able to plot his way through traffic ahead, all of which will be moving at slower speeds, in order to smoothly swoop around those slower moving obstacles that will appear stationary at truly high speed. Also it is imperative to utilize turn signals well ahead of each lane-change, so your intentions are known to other road users, as you rapidly close in on them. This is analogous to the swift and continuous course-planning employed by a snow-skier, whose life depends on looking far ahead to chart the most efficient path downhill at high speed, whilst carving smooth "S" turns between the "gates" of a slalom course.

If you reside in the USA where marked or unmarked Highway Patrol cruisers will often hide behind roadside billboards, or at the top of freeway on-ramps, ready to launch in pursuit after speeding cars, your forward looking priority must also allow for fleeting glances at the rear-view mirror, at regular intervals, so as to be ready to slow down WITHOUT touching the brakes, in the event that a police cruiser is spotted in the usual hiding places. Obviously a radar detector is mandatory equipment for speed driving aficionados that ply the freeways of the USA, and who hope to retain their driving privileges for the long run.

Finally, the faster a car travels, the smaller and more subtle should be the steering wheel inputs should be, to avoid getting airborne on the curves.

5 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by okenwaa(m): 9:45am On Sep 06, 2018
9 and 3 o'clock doesn't work 4 me.

10 and 4 does......don't know why.
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Slimsly100(f): 10:26am On Sep 06, 2018
diportivo:
all of these are applicable for normal driving conditions

as usual,u no talk anything for this ur thread undecided

Ur right but also take note that everyone is not an expert driver like u may be. Sometimes u need to remind people of some silent but important little things

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by thunderbabs: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2018
Avoid burukutu on or before getting behind wheels shocked

That is for my delta state boiz grin
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Jakumo(m): 10:33am On Sep 06, 2018
thunderbabs:
Avoid burukutu on or before getting behind wheels shocked

That is for my delta state boiz grin

Niger Delta boys specialize in Sapele Wata. Burukutu belongs to the realm of the Ilaje who inhabit the swamps of Ondo State Nigeria.

Send me ten naira MTN credit as penalty for your historical mistake, with immediate effect.

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by diportivo: 10:43am On Sep 06, 2018
Slimsly100:

Ur right but also take note that everyone is not an expert driver like u may be. Sometimes u need to remind people of some silent but important little things

well said bro

thumbs up
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Donwyz(m): 11:20am On Sep 06, 2018
I feel somehow dizzy while driving at top speed
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Jakumo(m): 11:28am On Sep 06, 2018
Donwyz:
I feel somehow dizzy while driving at top speed

That dizziness you experience at high speed is proof that Oshogbo weed is not for everyone.

Send the remainder of your supply to me for scientific analysis, if you don't want your driving licence to be revoked at my recommendation.
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by dafuturis(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2018
driand:
No 1 is not for me, for me it's left hand at 12 o'clock

That's how we roll!

mine is left hand at 7/8 AM
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shortyy(f): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Don't you think getting a custom domain and hosting would be great?

Please reach out if you need help.
How do you mean please?
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by thunderbabs: 12:29pm On Sep 06, 2018
Jakumo:

Niger Delta boys specialize in Sapele Wata. Burukutu belongs to the realm of the Ilaje who inhabit the swamps of Ondo State Nigeria.

Send me ten naira MTN credit as penalty for your historical mistake, with immediate effect.

Phone number?
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Donwyz(m): 12:39pm On Sep 06, 2018
Jakumo:

That dizziness you experience at high speed is proof that Oshogbo weed is not for everyone.

Send the remainder of your supply to me for scientific analysis, if you don't want your driving licence to be revoked at my recommendation.
grin
Jakumo:

���
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BiafranBushBoy: 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2018
Shortyy:

How do you mean please?

Sorry, I was referencing the website on your signature.

Just wanted to know if you have other plans for the site aside the single story already there...
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shortyy(f): 1:08pm On Sep 06, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Sorry, I was referencing the website on your signature.

Just wanted to know if you have other plans for the site aside the single story already there...

You think it's a single story? It's series. But how do you think the blog could be improved?
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BiafranBushBoy: 2:00pm On Sep 06, 2018
Shortyy:

You think it's a single story? It's series. But how do you think the blog could be improved?

You have other bigger plans for the site?

Or you just need a place to scribble down your thoughts?

I would love to know...
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Nnwannsukka(m): 2:14pm On Sep 06, 2018
Shagaya:
I remember when I used to do Ibadan to Lagos back in the 80s within 30mins to 45mins in my sweet Peugeot 504 angry
Twale OgA nla grin grin grin grin
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shortyy(f): 5:40pm On Sep 06, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

You have other bigger plans for the site?

Or you just need a place to scribble down your thoughts?

I would love to know...
Ofcos I have bigger plans. It's a story blog, where I write stories, get traffic and get paid.
What do you think?
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BiafranBushBoy: 6:00pm On Sep 06, 2018
Shortyy:

Ofcos I have bigger plans. It's a story blog, where I write stories, get traffic and get paid.
What do you think?

Great. Let's see how we can achieve that.

Get across to me on WhatsApp; you can send it to broadwaymarkertingconsults@gmail.com

Let's see how it works...
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shortyy(f): 6:13pm On Sep 06, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:

Great. Let's see how we can achieve that.

Get across to me on WhatsApp; you can send it to broadwaymarkertingconsults@gmail.com

Let's see how it works...
But I don't have your whatsApp contacts.
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BiafranBushBoy: 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2018
Shortyy:

But I don't have your whatsApp contacts.

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by chincuss(m): 11:46am On Sep 07, 2018
Noted
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by MPVGoddess: 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
Alvin007:
Why speed excessively, when the difference between your ETA(Expected Time of Arrival), and that of someone on an average speed, might not be more than 15mins..on a distance of about 100 miles?
Speed thrills, but kills!
Make una stay alive biko.

Those minutes can mean the difference between seeing that babe and missing her

Those minutes can mean you will escape from armed robbers

That speed may be the only way to compensate somehow for miles upon miles of bad roads and hours upon hours of being stuck in slow moving traffic as a result of poor urban planning, overpopulation, road constructions or plain silly and inexplicable lockjams
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Alvin007: 12:06pm On Sep 07, 2018
MPVGoddess:

Those minutes can mean the difference between seeing that babe and missing her

Those minutes can mean you will escape from armed robbers

That speed may be the only way to compensate somehow for miles upon miles of bad roads and hours upon hours of being stuck in slow moving traffic as a result of poor urban planning, overpopulation, road constructions or plain silly and inexplicable lockjams
Same way those minutes might take you on a fast trip to heaven. The choice is always there. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by AutoElectNG: 12:13pm On Sep 07, 2018
Jakumo:
Juan I will award you a lowly B+ for your rules of fast driving in safety, because you omitted the number one rule of fast driving, which is that the driver must look MUCH further ahead down the highway, than is necessary with normal driving. That "distance of anticipation" can be as long as a half-mile ahead, since that distance will be covered VERY rapidly, at the speeds the vehicle is traveling.

In looking much further ahead, the driver will be able to plot his way through traffic ahead, all of which will be moving at slower speeds, in order to smoothly swoop around those slower moving obstacles that will appear stationary at truly high speed. Also it is imperative to utilize turn signals well ahead of each lane-change, so your intentions are known to other road users, as you rapidly close in on them. This is analogous to the swift and continuous course-planning employed by a snow-skier, whose life depends on looking far ahead to chart the most efficient path downhill at high speed, whilst carving smooth "S" turns between the "gates" of a slalom course.

If you reside in the USA where marked or unmarked Highway Patrol cruisers will often hide behind roadside billboards, or at the top of freeway on-ramps, ready to launch in pursuit after speeding cars, your forward looking priority must also allow for fleeting glances at the rear-view mirror, at regular intervals, so as to be ready to slow down WITHOUT touching the brakes, in the event that a police cruiser is spotted in the usual hiding places. Obviously a radar detector is mandatory equipment for speed driving aficionados that ply the freeways of the USA, and who hope to retain their driving privileges for the long run.

Finally, the faster a car travels, the smaller and more subtle should be the steering wheel inputs should be, to avoid getting airborne on the curves.

This is somehow who actually does do high speed driving talking.

That is my comrade in speed talking.

In addition for Nigerian roads, the driver must look up the road for any and all obstacles and down the road for all sorts of speed traps.

He should also have very good rest the night before...especially if the trip is cross-country

He should also realize that he needs to be in a high state of situational awareness and have prepared responses to incidents like tire ruptures and should be able to determine with exactitude which tire has ruptured and handle the situation with finesse until he can stop the vehicle safely

He must be better at braking than accelerating....he who can safely stop a vehicle no matter the situation will arrive alive, he who lives for the thrill of acceleration but knows zilch about safely braking a vehcle no matter what will sooner or later have no vehicle to drive again, if he does not lose his life into the bargain

3 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:59am On Sep 08, 2018
diportivo:
all of these are applicable for normal driving conditions

as usual,u no talk anything for this ur thread undecided

the thing tire me .... at high speed then we begin to adjust the seat for a comfy position while cruising @ prolly 110mph

SMH
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by chccho(m): 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2018
That's how I saw one RX 330/350 racing one BMW 3series/5series @ night 2nights ago on lekki ajah expressway (around eleganza B/stop) the speed was so much BTW both cars I think they must have been on about 160-170 and they were approaching a bend. Seems the beemer slowed down for the Lexus as they approached the bend. It was almost like an accident already as the Lexus quickly switched lanes into the front of the BM from the middle lane. What if the Beemer didn't slow down? What if the Beemer had hit the Lexus from the left rear as he struggled to overtake? That would have been a terrible accident that night and the Lexus would have Summer Saulted like 10x
Some people just speed senselessly and meaninglessly their speeding no make sense @ all..
Warning speed kills, don't over speed except its an emergency and even when u want to race both cars should belong to the same class/category not a BMW sedan vs a Lexus SUV!!!
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by melodyokafor: 1:01pm On Dec 19, 2018
Sometimes it's hard for me to keep holding the wheel at 9 and 3...
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by omakay(m): 6:45pm On Dec 19, 2018
My left hand at 10:00 position is enough for me and my right hand is resting close to my gear stick.

Calmness is essential in high speed driving.

There is what is called "future & past view" which some persons have already stated here. The formula for me is 4 cars in front and 2 cars behind.

There is also a view ratio for me which is 75:25.

In Nigeria where most of our roads are classified under single and dual carriageway, there are a few heavy tips.

For single carriageway, please,please, in God's name........ STAY ON YOUR LANE......... No matter what....... Stop driving in the middle of the road..Be decent on the road...

Dual carriageway road users should also regard other lane users plying that same road with them and be consistent on one lane..... Change lanes only if you have to...... STOP PLAYING ON THE ROAD.....

Even if the federal government is able to ensure that 99% of roads are perfectly fit, accidents will not stop as long as drivers do not maintain a mature sense of decency on our roads...

GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.........

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Timagex(m): 3:26am On Dec 20, 2018
Shagaya:
I remember when I used to do Ibadan to Lagos back in the 80s within 30mins to 45mins in my sweet Peugeot 504 angry
Hmmmmmm wink grin
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by soap94: 11:52am On Feb 01, 2019
moscobabs:
Speed kills
And also a radar detector, which will help to avoid stupid tickets for speed limit. Click here is you want to buy one. It is a good investment, if you're normally driving fast on the streets.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle / My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again / Get Your Direct Tokunbo Engines And Gearbox For Your Toyota And Lexus Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.