Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,224 members, 7,936,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 10:40 PM

Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! (10877 Views)

Keshi To Drag NFF To FIFA Court / FG Responds To FIFA Ban By Stopping N253 Million NFF Monthly Pay! / Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by redsun(m): 8:29pm On Jul 05, 2010
Where is otimkpu beaf to explain why his mentor ''sissily'' gave in to fifa threat?He is a fucking sissy,caving in for the imperial fifa like a naughty child as if football is anywhere near nigerian problems.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2010
maybe sani lulu,sani kaita or sani yakubu should be seen like this dude below

Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by texazzpete(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
The Female under 20 World Cup is set to start soon. 23 Nigerian ladies who had suffered through qualifiers were no doubt hoping to play in the tournament and give it their all, knowing that a good showing in the tournament could lead to foreign offers and the chance to improve their lot.
If the FIFA ban comes, these innocent ladies would have lost the chance, perhaps FOREVER!

I find it exceptionally STUPID that people would easily punish the Falconets, the U-17 and U-20 men and women (who would have featured in the 2012 Olympics, the 2011 U-17 and U-20 World cups) over transgressions of the Super Eagles.

So the Super Eagles did not live up to your expectations. Is that reason enough to support a ban that would destroy the dreams of many young men and women?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by zenus(m): 9:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
Wise decision, I knew it will come to this.
But what happen next?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 05, 2010
Gayigaskia:

Commonan just last nifty u were asking who the he'll Blatter thinks he is, know u know who he is because someone dropped his pants infront of him

I am still asking that question, who the hell does Blatter think he is?

He controls no sovereign country and should show respect to heads of government as FIFA's noise about Governments not interfering with football makes no sense at all.

However the objective here is not to spite FIFA or spite Blatter as we have no business with him. The objective here is to sack Lulu and Lulu has been sacked. So the essence of withdrawing from FIFA has been achieved and we can now go back because victory has been achieved.

Can you please enumerate how Jonathan should have gone about removing Lulu in the light of the fact that Lulu will surely get re-elected in August without attracting a FIFA ban which would have put Nigeria on the back foot except we accept to re-install Lulu?

You people talk about EFCC and ICPC and forget that the EFCC does not manufacture evidence. What if Lulu and co are smart enough to cover their tracks? you forget the EFCC will have to come up with good enough evidence able to stand scrutiny in a court of law. You guys forget that Lulu will not be convicted of fraud because Sani Kaita got a red card or because we could not defeat South Korea.

Talking about influencing the board to impeach Lulu?  what exactly does that mean? Bribe the board members more money than Lulu can ever bribe them or round the board members up and beat them up untill they impeach lulu? And FIFA will not call that interference? Or do you guys honestly think any smart Government wants to be on record to have taken any of these routes?

Before Isa Bio led a delegation of PTF members to intimate FIFA about their plans to reform Nigerian football, they already consulted Lulu and told him the position of Government but the man refused to give way. Government had no choice but to play its last card which is to remind NFF that for whatever relationship you have with FIFA we have the power to determine what organisations that can exist within the shores of our country.
With the danger of withdrawing from football for two years and attracting more FIFA sanctions, pressure has come down on the remaining board members by default to act otherwise they will even have no chance to lobby to save their jobs. The 2years withdrawal was real, I expected to last for about 6 months before Government reverts itself after the necesssary changes would have been made.

Good news the withdrawal has already achieved results within days. All the remaining board members of NFF now have no choice but to fall in line. The next NFF board will now be determined by PTF.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by zenus(m): 9:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
Wise decision, I knew it will come to this.
But what happen next?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by redsun(m): 9:10pm On Jul 05, 2010
aguiyi:

maybe sani lulu,sani kaita or sani yakubu should be seen like this dude below

That guy thought he was jesus but the germans trashed him like judas.He had the guts to even diss  the legendary PELE
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
at least as a player he lifted the trophy and as a coach he got to the quater finals,which of ur country men has achieved this feat instead they go about banning bodies that they know very well is the least of thier problem.
abeg i hail maradona but sorry for the humiliation from germany
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by nopuqeater: 9:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
why cant the president br firm, then ban nepa, water works, other commodity services and their executives and restructure them, getting rid of the dea weights, and lackies? if this man flip flps in something this simple, how can he rule the nation that is as complex as nigeria for a full term?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by 3kay945(m): 9:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
I was happy when they were banned, but now, as a patriotic nigerian, i will like to see them un, banned. grin
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by seanlaw(m): 10:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
What would Larry Izamoje and John Fashanu have to say now that the ban has been rescinded. I would have expected them to bring to the notice of Committee the impediments the ban carry with it.

Disband the team
Dissolve the NFF board
Allow people who are involved in sport
The Head of thhe NFF should be a CEO with proven track records of success.

MR. JONATHAN PLEASE WHERE ARE YOUR ADVISERS WHEN YOU PASSED SUCH embarassed angry
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
No BODY BEATS OGA FIFA
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by emekagh(m): 10:24pm On Jul 05, 2010
Irunmole:

A glowing example of the calibre of our so-called leaders. Spineless, incompetent, unprincipled weakling. Same as previous leaders, same usual recycled dregs and rubbish.

World Cup 2010: Nigeria 'drops team ban threat'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8790094.stm

FIFA only eye-balled him and he blinked first. All talk and no balls. I would have expected him not to be bullied and cowed into submission if the two year ban will be the much needed tonic and remedy in reversing our fast dwindling reputation and fortune in local/world football. If it's going to act as a tool for critical self-examination, wholesale re-organisation and positive way forward, so be it. The two year ban, as announced by Mr President Goodluck Jonathan, had he the guts to follow it through, to put a two year halt to the putrid stench that Lulu and his cohorts had turned Nigerian football to would have been the best panacea to our ailment and chronic loss of face, reputation, and respect in the world of football.

[b]I cannot envisage a George W Bush of old or a strong Tony Blair reversing a well-publicised decision which, in their opinion is not in the interest of the American or British. I doubt it if they'll allow a non-governmental body to dictate and issue deadlines and ultimatums to them.

The hallmark of a strong leader is one that is able to make and take incisive decisions and stand by them, based on his principles and convictions. [/b]No so this fool who has succeeded in making a laughing stock of Nigerians, leadership wise. He is a joke. It is "Not Yet Uhuru" for football in Nigeria. With wishy-washy leaders and decisions like this, getting to our football promised-land will remain but a pipe-dream and a mirage.

In the wake of Mutallab saga, the Obama administration placed Nigeria on the notorious country of intererst, creating furore among analyst, experts of different sorts, and criticism by Nigerians, and other leaders? What eventually happened? The found an excuse to lift the restriction!

Dr. Boutros Boutros-Ghali (a one time UN Sec Gen) once said: It is only a fool who cannot change his mind!
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by soloqy: 10:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
Like someone said here, why is it that people dont read and analyze other posts but are in a hurry to throw tantrums? Its like if they don't get in there own tirade, their manhood will be lost.

Right from the start, the target was not the teams. Its been explained so many times in other threads. The target has always been LULU. GJ played his own hand in a card game. Thats why all of a sudden, nine members got up and impeached the three 'musketeers.' . It wouldnt have happened cause LULU and the others would have gone to fifa if GJ had come directly to probe,ban or sack them. Now the plan worked, why would he still keep the earlier decision(which was just to preempt FIFA and by extension the NFF).

Please, GJ already knew the impliations and consequences and the intention was not to keep the teams from playing. Its the same way Yaradua, after agreeing with FIFA to host the world cup, suddenly told the same FIFA that we were not hosting it anymore. What happened then? The thieves brought down the amount requested by billions before Yaradua, yet again, reversed a decision making two reversals. You play your cards well to get what you want.

If i am indispensable at my work place and I love the job, I could decide to ask for a salary raise or I quit work. If i get the raise, why would i still quit the job that i love? I just said that to be in a position to bargain.
You people should free my President abeg.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by 12large: 10:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
you guys are looking at this in a different point of view, fiifa made this rule mostly for 3 world countries, imagine if fifa allows goverment interferance north korea president would lash their players at least 50 lashes if they lose a game, sudan president would do whatever he wants to do. example of fifa rule that people crtisize
if a player scores a goal and takes his shirt off that is yellow card offense, people critisize that rule because they don't understand it, imagine in female team if woman are allowed to take thier shirt off if they score a goal. and you know they cannot have different rule for men and woman. that is how this interferance rule is, just because it is favoring you this time don't mean that the rule is bad. for me i support fifa 100 percent on this one if we let goverment rule football they would take advantage of it. remember after jonathan you don't know what kind of president you would have
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by makajibbz(m): 11:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
12large:

you guys are looking at this in a different point of view, fiifa made this rule mostly for 3 world countries, imagine if fifa allows goverment interferance north korea president would lash their players at least 50 lashes if they lose a game, sudan president would do whatever he wants to do. example of fifa rule that people crtisize
if a player scores a goal and takes his shirt off that is yellow card offense, people critisize that rule because they don't understand it, imagine in female team if woman are allowed to take thier shirt off if they score a goal. and you know they cannot have different rule for men and woman. that is how this interferance rule is, just because it is favoring you this time don't mean that the rule is bad. for me i support fifa 100 percent on this one if we let goverment rule football they would take advantage of it. remember after jonathan you don't know what kind of president you would have
you wrote sense there! smiley
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Akainzo(m): 11:19pm On Jul 05, 2010
12large:

My guy at large, you need to read more and understand a rule before you interpret it upside down the way you have just done above. Note that there is a difference between interfering with the running of football and dealing with the players.
When North Korea supposedly lashes her players, that is not interference as it has no bearing on the running of football. It only makes it harder for North Korea to get good players.

The rule against taking off your shirt is not because of female players, as FIFA does not say that you should take off your shirt when you score. How to celebrate a goal is the discretion of the player and cannot be legislated against. However, to be politically correct, accommodate many cultures and protect the young kids that watch football, the rule is there to ensure decency. While some ladies might find the bare torso of Beckham enchanting, to some it is offensive.
Also, the law ensures that the undershirt is not used as a political platform and it is a fallout of the FIFA statutes which prohibits government interference with football.

Football is a sport and should be played without political or religious considerations, allowing government interference would spoil the fun and prevent an open minded spirit to the game. And it is for the whole world and not just the 3rd world countries alone.
Without this rule, would you envisage an Iranian team playing against the US team? Let's enjoy the benefits of this statute and not say because GJ is our President, we shout sovereignty. Let's look beyond our noses.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by eva4wd: 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2010
seanlaw:

What would Larry Izamoje and John Fashanu have to say now that the ban has been rescinded. I would have expected them to bring to the notice of Committee the impediments the ban carry with it.

Disband the team
Dissolve the NFF board
Allow people who are involved in sport
The Head of thhe NFF should be a CEO with proven track records of success.

MR. JONATHAN PLEASE WHERE ARE YOUR ADVISERS WHEN YOU PASSED SUCH embarassed angry

Speaking of CEO with proven track record, I don't recall any existing football administrator in Nigeria with a proven track record, cool
Someone prove me wrong! grin
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Akainzo(m): 11:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
mikeansy:

He controls no sovereign country and should show respect to heads of government as FIFA's noise about Governments not interfering with football makes no sense at all.

However the objective here is not to spite FIFA or spite Blatter as we have no business with him. The objective here is to sack Lulu and Lulu has been sacked. So the essence of withdrawing from FIFA has been achieved and we can now go back because victory has been achieved.

Can you please enumerate how Jonathan should have gone about removing Lulu in the light of the fact that Lulu will surely get re-elected in August without attracting a FIFA ban which would have put Nigeria on the back foot except we accept to re-install Lulu?

You people talk about EFCC and ICPC and forget that the EFCC does not manufacture evidence. What if Lulu and co are smart enough to cover their tracks? you forget the EFCC will have to come up with good enough evidence able to stand scrutiny in a court of law. You guys forget that Lulu will not be convicted of fraud because Sani Kaita got a red card or because we could not defeat South Korea.

Talking about influencing the board to impeach Lulu?  what exactly does that mean? Bribe the board members more money than Lulu can ever bribe them or round the board members up and beat them up untill they impeach lulu? And FIFA will not call that interference? Or do you guys honestly think any smart Government wants to be on record to have taken any of these routes?

Before Isa Bio led a delegation of PTF members to intimate FIFA about their plans to reform Nigerian football, they already consulted Lulu and told him the position of Government but the man refused to give way. Government had no choice but to play its last card which is to remind NFF that for whatever relationship you have with FIFA we have the power to determine what organisations that can exist within the shores of our country.
With the danger of withdrawing from football for two years and attracting more FIFA sanctions, pressure has come down on the remaining board members by default to act otherwise they will even have no chance to lobby to save their jobs. The 2years withdrawal was real, I expected to last for about 6 months before Government reverts itself after the necesssary changes would have been made.

Good news the withdrawal has already achieved results within days. All the remaining board members of NFF now have no choice but to fall in line. The next NFF board will now be determined by PTF.

From your post above, I dont want to believe that you are postulating that the President of Nigeria, has no influence power to ensure that things are moved in the direction that he desires?  shocked  If that is what you are saying, then you've just said GJ is a weakling of a President without any political capital or clout.

First if there is no evidence that Sani Lulu embezzled or mismanaged funds, then there is no issue and the interference is not warranted - Hope you understand this basic premise.
If however, he has done or caused to be done some unsavoury things, then the relevant agencies should be able to get the evidences out. An analogy is simple, no matter how much you believe someone stole your money, he cannot be convicted without evidences!

Working under the premise that Sani Lulu and co have committed grave misconduct, here are other options open to him that would have not caused either him or the country this kind of embarrassment.

1. Get EFCC or even the police to present the evidences to a magistrate and get an order against them, they could even be remanded in prison while asking for bail. Note FIFA statutes does not prevent a sovereign state from investigating, prosecuting or sentencing an FA official.
2. Lean on the other members of the board with these evidences to get the trio impeached.
3. Present the evidences of mismanagement to FIFA and then move using national instruments against the affected people.
4. For the August elections, the NFF constitution has provisions for postponement. Also nothing says an elected official can not be removed later. Abi dem no dey change governor, so long as it is within the provisions of the law.

So my friend there are better ways to handle national matters than go washing your linen in public and throwing your hands up in the air. So when PHCN does not meet it's 6000MW target, he would shit down all power stations in Nigeria to enable us rebuild? Haba!

The good thing is that he has accepted his folly and changed his mind. Good thinking.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by maxxy: 11:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
Got these attached documents on another thread here on NL. Assuming they are genuine, they go to buttress my earlier position that this GJ ban thing was a game plan from the very start, as it shows that GJ's target was the leadership of NFF citing administrative ineptitude and financial recklessness. And the guy has achieved his goal. So guys saying he should have stuck with the ban need to think further down the line - when we start missing championships and lots of other stuff, while watching other nations do their thing, we go abuse GJ tire as a yeye ijaw man that should have stuck to fishing grin.

Besides, only a pig-headed leader refuses to reverse a decision just because it will make him look bad in public.

Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by peterjee(m): 11:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
getting interesting?
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Rmc1(m): 11:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
It seems like fifa holds the bigger sledge hammer.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Mariory(m): 12:20am On Jul 06, 2010
The fact of the matter is, as long as the government provides funds for the NFF to function then it will interfare with the NFF. If FIFA truely wants the NFF to be independent, then it must find a way for the NFF to survive without taxpayers money.
Government influence has already forced Lulu out. The next stage is for the person the government favours to become chairman.

Akainzo:

Working under the premise that Sani Lulu and co have committed grave misconduct, here are other options open to him that would have not caused either him or the country this kind of embarrassment.

1. Get EFCC or even the police to present the evidences to a magistrate and get an order against them, they could even be remanded in prison while asking for bail. Note FIFA statutes does not prevent a sovereign state from investigating, prosecuting or sentencing an FA official.
2. Lean on the other members of the board with these evidences to get the trio impeached.
3. Present the evidences of mismanagement to FIFA and then move using national instruments against the affected people.
4. For the August elections, the NFF constitution has provisions for postponement. Also nothing says an elected official can not be removed later. Abi dem no dey change governor, so long as it is within the provisions of the law.

So my friend there are better ways to handle national matters than go washing your linen in public and throwing your hands up in the air. So when PHCN does not meet it's 6000MW target, he would poo down all power stations in Nigeria to enable us rebuild? Haba!

The good thing is that he has accepted his folly and changed his mind. Good thinking.

So naive it's untrue. You make it seem like it is not Nigeria we are talking about.
1. How is the EFCC or police suppossed to get the evidence of embezzlement with it becoming government interferance? Are you suggessting they show newspaper articles to a magistrate?
2. This is exactly what has been achieved with the threat of no funds for 2 years. They have quickly impeached said trio.

Watch this space for developments.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by maxxy: 12:28am On Jul 06, 2010
Besides, why do civil servants number their paragraphs in formal letters Never seen this in any english material lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 12:37am On Jul 06, 2010
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by OAM4J: 1:04am On Jul 06, 2010
Allowing sense of reasoning to prevail over personal pride is one of the hallmarks of true leadership.

Besides, Jonathan is still achieving what he wanted, so the end justifies the means.

I never wanted the ban in the first place, I only want serious improvement with our dying football.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by dolu2007(m): 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2010
good news!
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by StEdwin(m): 1:32pm On Jul 06, 2010
Thank you Mr. President.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by chakula: 1:40pm On Jul 06, 2010
This is serious, but our problem today in nigeria is going to beyond the burning of national futbal team,better for the government to provide to the citizens power and resources which means to be humble and proud within our lives, rather centralised on the issues not all important to the many citizens,if goodluck likes let him forever ban or exclude nigeria from participating in any game.
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 06, 2010
I knew the ban would not last long. Jonathan wanted to sanitize the glass house and he has achieved his aim by sacking Lulu and some other executives of the NFF. This is good news, the Falconets have hope again. smiley
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by texazzpete(m): 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2010
mikeansy:

If FIFA does not kick strongly against political interference on all levels, you'll find a case where an Arab nation will refuse to allow Israeli and US teams into their countries. you'd see people carrying political banners into stadia. You could see Governments dictating the players to be fielded in teams based on their ideologies. you could see (for example) a nation decreeing that only muslims or christians or buddhists be allowed to be team members.
In short, football would no longer be the 'beautiful game'.

mikeansy:

So if there is no evidence that Sani Lulu stole any money (whether because he didnt steal or he 'covered his tracks'), why are you alleging that he has committed fraud? Everyone is presumed innocent until proof of guilt is found. Jonathan should have set the EFCC on Sani Lulu et al, and if no proof was found, then it means that they are presumably honest people. period!
Re: Breaking News: Jonathan Reverses Ban On Super Eagles Hours To Fifa Deadline! by princekevo(m): 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2010
OMG!!! GJ dun fall my hands finally at last. Why all the banning noise when he knew he could not stand the rot of FIFA. Where are those folks that were making noise here that FIFA should go to hell with their banning Nigeria for any years they like? I thought you guys and your president got bulls, i didn't know you guys were half men.

Jonathan would have at least revise his decision at least few hrs or days after the deadline from FIFA expired.LOL!!!I didn't know you guys could be frighten with jst a mere threat from FIFA.LOL!!

Next time b4 you join an organisation make sure you read their rules well, and dont jst think you can pull out anytime you want to and join back anytime it suits you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Victor Moses Overrated? / CAF U-20 African Youth Championship: Senegal 2015 / Lionel Messi Helps Obtain 50,000 Covid Vaccines For South American Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.