Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,628 members, 7,885,610 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 12:16 PM

Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) (654 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by ogoamaka99(m): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2010
All the atheists in this Forum, could you folks kindly explain to us how their life originated,ie the origin of life in this planet earth?. Mazaje said that he don't know how life originated. Manmustwac said that his own life originated from his ancestors -homo sapiens even though he failed to tell us how his ancestors got their own life.
THIS IS AN OPEN CHALANGE TO ALL THE ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM , TO PROVE TO US THE ORIGIN OF THEIR LIFE AND HOW THEY CAME TO THIS EARTH?.This question is very important for them to answer us since they deny that GOD did not exist and that GOD did not create them.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mantraa: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2010
In my opinion you see there are many different mythological stories that attempt to explain how life began on this planet, from our own african creation stories, eastern religions, aborigine beliefs, jewish and middle eastern beliefs, and hundreds of other ancient and modern creation stories of how life started based on supernatural entities.

I believe that nobody knows yet how life got started on this planet and to just believe that the creation story of the religion that you were born onto is the right one is quite ridiculous and intellectual laziness. Consider if you born into a hindu family, your beliefs would be completely different and you would be equally convinced that youre beliefs are right.

It is ok to admit that you dont know and strive to find the answers by scientifically examining the world around you. Its geological history, Fossil history, atomic history such as carbon dating and other radioactive half-life substances. etc. Also the study of astronomy to find if there is life on other planets as well will help in the discovery of how life began on this planet. Maybe life is abundant in the universe, or maybe we are alone.

I dont know how life began on this planet, but hope to find out one day. Do you?
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mazaje(m): 7:00pm On Jul 08, 2010
ogoamaka99:

All the atheists in this Forum, could you folks kindly explain to us how their life originated,ie the origin of life in this planet earth?. Mazaje said that he don't know how life originated. Manmustwac said that his own life originated from his ancestors -homo sapiens even though he failed to tell us how his ancestors got their own life.

Now we are back to the origin of life thingy, eh?. . .  .I don't know how life began and I don't care since no one seems to know. You don't know either, you only pretend to take other peoples assumptions as knowledge which by the way is not, declaring that your version of God alone created the universe and life is an ASSUMPTION since you have absolutely NO evidence whatsoever to show for it beside your assumptions and claims. . .Humans look around and are impressed that they're alive and there is such things as perception and consciousness.
They don't want to die.
They really want to believe that they will escape death.
They think that something incomprehensibly powerful would have to account for what they can't even begin to explain (which has seriously been shrinking over the centuries without needing any God ).

If humans grow up around Christians, the odds are very high that they will become Christians. Replace Christians with "Muslims", "Jews", "Hindus", "Buddhist" or whatever and you have people worshiping a concept, an idea and a culture that was created by other people and their superstitions.
Thus, they believe that there is a God, a such a God must surely be the God of the religion they were born into most of the time (Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Zeus, etc.).  

THIS IS AN OPEN CHALANGE TO ALL THE ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM , TO PROVE TO US THE ORIGIN OF THEIR LIFE AND HOW THEY CAME TO THIS EARTH?.This question is very important for them to answer us since they deny that GOD did not exist and that GOD did not create them.  

Since when have you proven that your own version of God created anything?. . . . .I deny that God exist, if you can point to any God that exist o its own independent of what humans chose to write or says about it, human influence and human cultural acceptance I will believe you, saying that God created without pointing to such a God or allowing it to speak for it self says you are lying, no?. . . . .If your God exist as you want us to believe you think you will be the be trying to make its case for it?. . . .Was your God not addressing people the Jews through public speech in the bible?. . .As usual your God like ALL other Gods is only able to do wonders in the pages of books written by men about him?. . . . .
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by manmustwac(m): 5:24pm On Jul 09, 2010
@post
I believe in science and according to science human beings evolved just like a baby evolves to a child then adult. And so our ancestors evolved from monkeys and we humans have 98% of the same DNA as monkeys do.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by ogoamaka99(m): 8:43am On Jul 10, 2010
[quote author=mantraa link=topic=475791.msg6352537#msg6352537 date=127861113
I dont know how life began on this planet, but hope to find out one day. Do you?
[quote][/quote]
Are there only three(3) atheists in this forum or are they dodging my question?
The summary of mantraa is that he don't know how life began on this planet earth. Other atheists may know, so they should help mamtraa. The ONLY WAY you FOLKS can disprove a claim or statement as false is BY PROVIDING AN ALTERNATIVE TRUE CLAIM OR ANSWER. The only way you can disprove that GOD is the origin of life is by providing an alternative correct explanation of life began.
"You still hope to find an answer one day!." When ?, maybe after your death abi or you no go die.? To live and die without knowing the origin of life is a great tragedy.
@ mazaje,
Please don't bring other religion into this.You earlier said that you don't know how life originate and that you don't believe the theory of evolution as well.So keep your mouth shot as you don't know the answer . Don't bring confusion into the matter.

@ manmustwac,
So you believe in the theory of evolution?. You and your ancestors evolved from chimpanzees?. What about other species like monkey and gorillas ?, how come about differences in species?. Moreover how and why did evolution stopped when it reached man?. WHY is it that man did not evolve to another thing?. Evolution is only a theory by one man. Has that theory been proved by science? Why is it that evolution theory are not improved by other scientists?. BECAUSE evolution theory is but a fallacy and not accepted by majorities of scientists. Prove me wrong.
TO ALL ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM,if you folks did not come out with good answer to the origin of life, other members will begin to agree with me that you folks has lost their mind and that is why you people cannot reason well again. WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWERS.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mantraa: 10:23am On Jul 10, 2010
The summary of mantraa is that he don't know how life began on this planet earth. Other atheists may know, so they should help mamtraa. The ONLY WAY you FOLKS can disprove a claim or statement as false is BY PROVIDING AN ALTERNATIVE TRUE CLAIM OR ANSWER. The only way you can disprove that GOD is the origin of life is by providing an alternative correct explanation of life began.
   "You still hope to find an answer one day!." When ?, maybe after your death abi or you no go die.? To live and die without knowing the origin of life is a great tragedy.

Let me look at this from your point of view to see if i can help you understand mine. I assume that you believe the biblical story in genesis to explain how life got started on this planet. Do you even know that there are other completely different creation stories written in other 'holy books' which attribute the creation of life on this planet to other so called gods? These accounts were written at a time when humans were living in the bronze age and knew very little compared to what we know today. That is why the story you believe to be true contains ridiculous things like a talking snake, and light being split into day and night before the sun was created, and the stars being created in a day when we know that the light from them takes millions of years to reach us respective of their individual distances from the earth. These things were not known at the time the stories were created.  Do you believe that the light was created in transit and that the earth is older than the stars and galaxies? Do you really believe that a snake can talk?

You say that "The only way you can disprove that GOD is the origin of life is by providing an alternative correct explanation of life began."
Which god are you talking about? There are hundreds of different gods with their own creation stories.
For example if i said to you "The only way you can disprove that Zeus is the origin of life is by providing an alternative correct explanation of life began." you would say "Yahweh did it"
A hindu would say "Brahma did it" and truly believe that he has just provided you with an 'AN ALTERNATIVE TRUE CLAIM OR ANSWER'

Do you understand that your claim of absolute certainty that you are right is no more valid than theirs?
Open your mind and look at the bigger picture. Use your intelligence and think rationally.

Nobody knows all the answers yet to the origin of life, including you.
Respects
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by ogoamaka99(m): 3:41am On Jul 11, 2010
@mantraa,
Point of correction mantraa , try to differentiate between "gods" and "GOD".There are many "gods" on earth but ONLY ONE GOD. The word GOD is an English word which refers to supreme Deity in the whole universe. This supreme Deity is known by different names by different languages as well as religious sects but all refers to one entity. For example, just as English has a name for this Deity just as a Yoruba or igbo language has a name for HIM.

Of all these religious sects you mentioned, i want you to point to any of them that claims that their god is that supreme Deity.? No , all these religious sects acknowledge the existence of a supreme Deity but all claims or believes that their own god is the correct medium to approach this Deity just as Christians believe that Christ is the ONLY correct way to approach GOD. So i want you to prove me wrong by mentioning any of other gods or religious sects that claim this position of this supreme Deity. Moreover, point out any of these religious that ever claim that their god is the source or origin of life?. Even the ALMIGHTY GOD acknowledged that there are other gods on earth and that is why HE gave one of this commandment "you shall have no other "god" before me.

So mantraa, you see that you don't have strong reason to support your ignorance or refusal to accept that "CHI-UKWU" OR " OBASI BI N'ELU " is the source and origin of that breathe in you. The earlier you do that the better for you or rather do something to destroy that your ignorance of not knowing the origin or source of life you have.

BACK TO THE CHALLENGE TO ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM,OR ARE THERE ONLY THREE SELF PROFESSED ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM, where are the rest?.WHERE ARE THEY, AND WHY CAN'T THEY DEFEND THEIR ATHEISM BY REPLYING TO THIS POST?.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mantraa: 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2010
IT seems to me like you need to educate yourself about the beliefs of other people in this world. There is a wealth of information available to you on the internet which can explain to you how many different religions that consider their God to be the supreme being and that the god that you believe in is not. Check it out! Just search supreme deity on google or wikipedia and learn about the history of your religion and other religions. Many predate the formation of your religion by thousands of years.

Are you trying to say Yahweh is the real supreme being becauase its is written in the bible and that the bible must be true because the bible says so?
Cant you see that this type of circular reasoning is totally irrational.

You would be saying the exact same thing if you were a hindu who believe that Vishnu is the supreme being because their 'holy book' says so.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by Iyineda(m): 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
ogoamaka99:

All the atheists in this Forum, could you folks kindly explain to us how their life originated,ie the origin of life in this planet earth? THIS IS AN OPEN CHALANGE TO ALL THE ATHEISTS IN THIS FORUM , TO PROVE TO US THE ORIGIN OF THEIR LIFE AND HOW THEY CAME TO THIS EARTH?.This question is very important for them to answer us since they deny that GOD did not exist and that GOD did not create them.

lol, I kindly ask the same to all the religious people on this forum. cheesy

Wow. Wonder never ends. You "believers" nod your heads to a few lines found in an ancient book that says the 1st 2 humans that ever existed were made of sand and dust. Really? grin
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mantraa: 2:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
@ogoamaka99
Here is a good book for you to read about just a very small selection of creation stories from other cultures. You might find it enjoyable and enlightening.

In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Creation-Stories-Around-World/dp/0152387420
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by ogoamaka99(m): 8:18am On Jul 13, 2010
mantraa:

IT seems to me like you need to educate yourself about the beliefs of other people in this world. There is a wealth of information available to you on the internet which can explain to you how many different religions that consider their God to be the supreme being and that the god that you believe in is not. Check it out! Just search supreme deity on go ogle or wikipedia and learn about the history of your religion and other religions. Many predate the formation of your religion by thousands of years.

Are you trying to say Yahweh is the real supreme being because its is written in the bible and that the bible must be true because the bible says so?
Cant you see that this type of circular reasoning is totally irrational.

You would be saying the exact same thing if you were a Hindu who believe that Vishnu is the supreme being because their holy book says so.
@mabtraa,
You are still going round and round without answering the questions, rather you only succeeded in referring me to materials to read or site to visit. Is your argument based on what you know and believe or what other people believe and is saying ?.
I asked you a question earlier which i wish to repeat again , FROM THE INFORMATION YOU GATHERED FROM YOUR STUDY OF DIFFERENT RELIGIONS , POINT OUT TO US ANY OF THESE RELIGIONS gods THAT THEIR WORSHIPPERS CLAIMED AS THE SUPREME DEITY ?. ALSO POINT OUT FROM YOUR STUDY ON SUPREME DEITY ON GO OGLE AND WIKIPEDIA ANY OF THE godS THAT THEIR WORSHIPPERS CLAIMED AS THE SUPREME DEITY?.
You mentioned Vishnu the Hindu god, i want you to cite for us where the Hindu holy book mentioned that Vishnu worshippers believed that he/she is the supreme Deity. You are the one saying it. We wait for your reply.
Re: Atheism And Religion-(matters Arising) by mantraa: 10:56am On Jul 13, 2010
I asked you a question earlier which i wish to repeat again , FROM THE INFORMATION YOU GATHERED FROM YOUR STUDY OF DIFFERENT RELIGIONS , POINT OUT TO US ANY OF THESE RELIGIONS gods THAT THEIR WORSHIPPERS CLAIMED AS THE SUPREME DEITY ?. ALSO POINT OUT FROM YOUR STUDY ON SUPREME DEITY ON GO OGLE AND WIKIPEDIA ANY OF THE  godS THAT THEIR WORSHIPPERS CLAIMED AS THE SUPREME DEITY?.
  You mentioned Vishnu the Hindu god, i want you to cite for us where the Hindu holy book mentioned that Vishnu worshippers believed that he/she is the supreme Deity. You are the one saying it. We wait for your reply.

Vishnu
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Vishnu  is the Supreme God in the Vaishnavite tradition of Hinduism. Smarta followers of Adi Shankara, among others, venerate Vishnu as one of the five primary forms of God. He is exalted as the highest God in Śruti like the Taittiriya Shakha and the Bhagavad Gita.

The Vishnu Sahasranama declares Vishnu as Paramatma (supreme soul) and Parameshwara (supreme God). It describes Vishnu as the All-Pervading essence of all beings, the master of—and beyond—the past, present and future, the creator and destroyer of all existences, one who supports, sustains and governs the Universe and originates and develops all elements within.

In the Puranas, Vishnu is described as having the divine colour of water filled clouds, four-armed, holding a lotus, mace, conch and chakra (wheel). Vishnu is also described in the Bhagavad Gita as having a 'Universal Form' (Vishvarupa) which is beyond the ordinary limits of human perception.

The Puranas also describe each of the Dasavatara of Vishnu. Among these ten principal avatars described, nine have occurred in the past and one will take place in the future, at the end of Kali Yuga. In the commentary of creator Brahma in Vishnu Sahasranamam, he refers to Vishnu as "Sahasrakoti Yuga Dharine", which means that these incarnations take place in all Yugas in cosmic scales. The Bhagavad Gita mentions their purpose as being to rejuvenate Dharma and vanquish negative forces as also to display His divine pastimes in front of the conditioned/fallen souls. In almost all Hindu denominations, Vishnu is either worshiped directly or in the form of his ten avatars, such as Rama and Krishna.

The Trimurti (English: ‘three forms’; Sanskrit: trimūrti) is a concept in Hinduism "in which the cosmic functions of creation, maintenance, and destruction are personified by the forms of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver, and Shiva the destroyer or transformer." These three deities have been called "the Hindu triad" or the "Great Trinity". Of the three members of the Trimurti, the Bhagavata Purana, which espouses the Vaishnavite viewpoint, explains that the greatest benefit can be had from Vishnu."

I was hoping that you would find out for yourself. There are hundreds of different religions around the world who claim that their god is the supreme god. People have been worshipping the hindu god Vishnu thousands of years before the christian god Yahweh was invented, and long before the bible claims of when the earth and universe was created. To them, they are 100% certain that he is the Supreme Deity. Just like you believe if something is written in the bible it must be true, they believe if it is written in the Bhagavad Gita it must be true.

I hope this answers your questions and puts your beliefs into perspective for you.
Respects

(1) (Reply)

Is There God? / Look Out For The Antichrist / The Redeemed On Earth:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.