Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,103 members, 7,890,657 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 05:44 PM

2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency (5034 Views)

Fayose Openly Declines Omojuwa’s Invitation / INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses / Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 10, 2010
2011: Ribadu Declines to Contest for Presidency
Former EFCC chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu yesterday in an interview with Saharareporters said he has not reached the point where he can make a definitive declaration about running for the office of president in the country.

However he explained that he has been approached by several political groups and non-political party actors, including Nigerian youth, women and elders who are clamoring for change in Nigeria.

"I have strong interest in the future of Nigeria and its citizens, I have strong interest in helping to form, change or redirect the destiny of our nation in the right direction this time around and I am convinced that the country deserves better leadership."

Asked if he thinks he can muster enough financial power to run for office in a country where money defines everything, he said that it is not true that money determines everything in Nigeria, adding that that conception comes from the prebendal and predatory politics of a tiny cabal within the system. Citing his experience at the EFCC, Ribadu said he fought the big money men with little resources while at the commission and still succeeded in bringing many of them to justice.

He said whatever decisions he would take would depend on the consensus of the majority of Nigerians across the country and the rest of the world.

“Definitely, I will be participating in the process of change already initiated by ordinary Nigerians on the streets of Nigeria, the Internet, in various town hall meetings, community groups, churches, mosques and other traditional places of worship and agitation for positive change.

"These are my words, they are not political messages. I have never done anything on my own; even at the EFCC I was able to succeed because I had the support of the Nigerian masses.

SOURCE: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=177925
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by formunt(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2010
Yoruba man fashola should be the choice of AC in the real sense.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 10, 2010
Ok
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Gbawe: 10:18am On Jul 10, 2010
It does not seem as if he has "declined" to contest IMO. It sounds as if , as is usual , he is still testing the water. If the AC give him the party ticket transparently , without duplicity or ambiguity, I am sure Ribadu will run. He is only being cautious because of how decietful Kingmakers are . One only needs to look at how OBJ fooled the entire world (to include Odili himself) into thinking Peter Odili would be the PDP candidate only for Yar Adua to emerge "unchallenged" . Ribadu was part of the shenanigans that led to the undemocratic emergence of Yar Adua. He will now know the 'game' well enough to be cautious.

The AC, IMO , has more overall integrity and compassion for the Nigerian people than the PDP. With statements like those quoted below , it is obvious that Ribadu has a good chance of gaining the ticket of the AC , far more than that of the PDP, as it appears that the AC is more desirous that a good leader emerges for Nigeria rather than a stooge that can be remotely controlled to keep it business as usual for Nigerian leaders who are already some of the best paid in the world - never mind the crippling poverty many Nigerians face.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/9/830.html

"We pray that the zoning problem leads to the disintegration of the PDP. We will take advantage of their problems to emerge victorious," he added.

The Publicity Secretary of the AC, Alhaji Lai Muhammed, had in Osogbo on Wednesday assured Nigerians that ACN would pick a credible presidential candidate. He had said, "Our presidential candidate will be a young, intelligent, dynamic and detribalised Nigerian, whose influence and acceptability will cut across the nooks and crannies of the country, age and creed."
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Gbawe: 10:53am On Jul 10, 2010
formunt:

Yoruba man fashola should be the choice of AC in the real sense.

Fashola should continue his good work for Lagos for another 4 years. If the AC pick Ribadu they will have made the most pragmatically brilliant choice possible for victory . Even as everyone is talking about the end of zoning what would appeal to all Nigerians other than a popular Northern candidate (this keeps Northerners happy) that enjoys undeniably more popularity in the South ( like Ribadu) than Jonathan can manage?

The AC will be thinking that they can keep everyone happy with the formula of adopting a popular, brave , tried and tested, progressive and internationally respected Northerner who is loved by virtually all Nigerians. The truth is that Jonathan will only defeat Ribadu if he is able to perform brilliantly before the elections next year. So far , aside talk, Jonathan has done nada . He is running out of time. The only option , if Ribadu runs against him, will be for the PDP to rig the elections.

The AC will be assuming that the PDP will not find it easy rigging in Jonathan against a Northerner every Nigerian is backing. Ribadu , if he takes on a Jonathan that does nothing significant between now and next year, will sweep the North and majority of the South. It will be very difficult to rig against a man who even the Soyinka's, Falana's , Fawehinmi's and secretly (because they are PDP members) the ken Nnamani's will support.

Jonathan has a huge task ahead of him IMO and he is failing , so far, by postponing actions that could gain him huge support (privatisation of the power sector for example) till after the election next year. Jonathan , if he is not planning to rig next year, should take even one project alone that means a lot to Nigerians (power sector or the revamp of woeful federal roads are examples ) and bully his way to success in that one area. Nigerians would then be left wanting more same as Lagosians want a second term for Fashola. That Jonathan is operating at snail pace , when he is aware he has an election to win against others who are more popular and sagacious, is proof that the PDP will attempt to rig the election next year because they will know that Jonathan cannot defeat a popular Northerner like Ribadu if he has not improved the lives of Nigerians beyond rhetoric and populist talks .
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by PapaBrowne(m): 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2010
Gbawe:

Fashola should continue his good work for Lagos for another 4 years. If the AC pick Ribadu they will have made the most pragmatically brilliant choice possible for victory . Even as everyone is talking about the end of zoning what would appeal to all Nigerians other than a popular Northern candidate (this keeps Northerners happy) that enjoys undeniably more popularity in the South ( like Ribadu) than Jonathan can manage?

The AC will be thinking that they can keep everyone happy with the formula of adopting a popular, brave , tried and tested, progressive and internationally respected Northerner who is loved by virtually all Nigerians. The truth is that Jonathan will only defeat Ribadu if he is able to perform brilliantly before the elections next year. So far , aside talk, Jonathan has done nada . He is running out of time. The only option , if Ribadu runs against him, will be for the PDP to rig the elections.

The AC will be assuming that the PDP will not find it easy rigging in Jonathan against a Northerner every Nigerian is backing. Ribadu , if he takes on a Jonathan that does nothing significant between now and next year, will sweep the North and majority of the South. It will be very difficult to rig against a man who even the Soyinka's, Falana's , Fawehinmi's and secretly (because they are PDP members) the ken Nnamani's will support.

Jonathan has a huge task ahead of him IMO and he is failing , so far, by postponing actions that could gain him huge support (privatisation of the power sector for example) till after the election next year. Jonathan , if he is not planning to rig next year, should take even one project alone that means a lot to Nigerians (power sector or the revamp of woeful federal roads are examples ) and bully his way to success in that one area. Nigerians would then be left wanting more same as Lagosians want a second term for Fashola. That Jonathan is operating at snail pace , when he is aware he has an election to win against others who are more popular and sagacious, is proof that the PDP will attempt to rig the election next year because they will know that Jonathan cannot defeat a popular Northerner like Ribadu if he has not improved the lives of Nigerians beyond rhetoric and populist talks .

Gbawe, your postulations are smart, but they are based on very incomplete assumptions. If you want to understand Elections, you must look at the demographics of the voters. Your postulations here cover only the educated voters who have access to both the online and print media. Sad thing is that most of us educated folks would not go out to vote.

The majority of voters in Nigeria constitute largely the uneducated population- People like Okada riders, Market women, Builders, Artisans, villagers and the like. Most of these folks don't have the capacity to understand the difference between say Nuhu Ribadu and Gusau or Pat Utomi and James Ibori. They don't have the access to educated analysis that you would get on the newspapers. Hence they depend on their local leaders to direct them on who to vote for. For instance for Okada riders, the chairman of the Okada Riders Association.

The PDP understands this fact very well and has all these leaders locked on their payroll. That is what is termed "political structures". The PDP happens to be the only party in the country with structures that spread accross the entire 36 states.
AC is basically a southwest party. APGA is south east and ANPP is northern. If they all team up together they wouldn't have the spread the PDP possesses.

The only way the opposition can pose a threat to the PDP is if they start building structures long before the elections. Sadly they never have the capacity to shelve their differences until it is a few months to election.

I would love to see a Ribadu presidency and maybe with Duke as his Vice. Imagine Aso Rock filled with the likes of Ribadu, Duke, Fashola, El Rufai, Utomi, etc. Nigeria would definitely be on a path to glory. However, realistically, even in the freest and fairest election I don't see the opposition winning a presidential election in 2011. They are not ready.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Beaf: 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2010
^
Beautiful analysis! cool
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by chiozor: 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2010
Gents;
That is a very good analogy. let us see how it plays out
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by KnowAll(m): 1:05pm On Jul 10, 2010
realistically, even in the  freest and fairest election I don't see the opposition  winning a presidential election in 2011. They are not ready.

[size=14pt]and that is why RIbadu is a bit cautious. His political career would be dead on arrival if he runs and fails in the first hurdle in 2011. He will not get a look-in come 2015 OR 2019 especially if he decides to jump ship and join PDP after miserably failing in 2011 with AC , that would be tantanmount to political prostitution, we all know political ashewos don't have a future in Naija.[/size]
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Gbawe: 2:13pm On Jul 10, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Gbawe, your postulations are smart, but they are based on very incomplete assumptions. If you want to understand Elections, you must look at the demographics of the voters. Your postulations here cover only the educated voters who have access to both the online and print media. Sad thing is that most of us educated folks would not go out to vote.

Even as I agree with some of what you wrote , I think you have called this one totally wrong in your assumption that the PDP , as per its influence predicated on sheer number , can suddenly sway this for Jonathan. There are far too many highly influential Northern leaders/kingmakers , even from the PDP, who will work against Jonathan solely so that a Northerner emerges President. I have not based my thinking from the viewpoint of the educated and informed either.

I am looking at how many , from all accross Nigeria, despite what is said in public, feel that Jonathan is trying to steal a mandate that does not belong to him. OBJ attempted it and failed (as an incumbent PDP President) with his third term ambition yet we now assume that Jonathan will have it easy in a nation where people talk the talk ("Jonathan must run"wink but always fail to walk the walk when push comes to shove !!!!

Politicians are a different breed to you and I. When Jonathan supported zoning in the past and he now wants to benefit from it removal , most politicans will feel he is a hypocrite who is disloyal to the internal code of conduct Nigerian politicians operate with. If you were around recently you will have noted that many Southern leaders , including Governors from Jonathan's region, worked against his emergence as substantive President.

What Jonathan is attempting to do is carry everyone along in ideological correctness in a nation where political treachery , based on self-interest, is paramount above anything else !!!

You forget what the North is about. They stopped OBJ's third term because they felt he wanted to usurp what belonged to their region. The same sentiments is now at play in the quest to stop Jonathan. We all know that when the chips are down , very few Southern heavyweights , despite their current pontifications will stand up for Jonathan. We all saw this when , essentially , a wife with no official power (Turai) held a whole nation to ransom while Southern big men, who should back Jonathan, kept mum !!!

What makes you think that Northern members of the PDP , especially if in private they are assured they will not lose out in the long run, will get behind Jonathan when they can undermine him for a Northern AC candidate when the sloganeering of "theft against the North" (as was the case with OBJ) reaches fever pitch? Did Atiku (then a member of the PDP) and other influential PDP Northerners not match OBJ , man-for-man and naira-for-naira, in the quest to ensure the North retained what is "rightfully its own" back in 2006?

I have said it and I will repeat it: minus superlative performance Jonathan will not defeat a popular Northerner like Ribadu because there are still many influential politicians who believe that the Presidency should remain with the North in 2011. If the North then produces a candidate popular in the South then the support behind this man can drown anything the PDP can do because even the PDP Northerners will work for a Northerner against their own party in the spirit of region above Party. If Jonathan is placing his faith in uber self-preservationists like OBJ, Danjuma et al he is mistaken.

when you say the AC is basically a SW party I think you are not looking at the big picture. The AC can become anything the North wants it to be if they deem the party as the saviour of their region. Everyone will quickly fall in line.

When Jonathan is declared the PDP's candidate we will see the real fireworks begin. What we are seeing so far is childsplay.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by PapaBrowne(m): 3:12pm On Jul 10, 2010
^^^^^
Gbawe, you are giving way too much credence to the north. It appears you are not aware what time it is. Nigeria's political landscape has changed dramatically. The North has been badly fragmented.

Now I forgot to mention in my first post that there are two reasons Ribadu would not sweep northern votes.
First, there would be too many presidential candidates from the north. Buhari would definitely contest under CPC. Shekarau [/b]will definitely contest under ANPP. [b]Babangida is not likely to give up his ambition. Atiku mind is definitely made up to run. Other Northern candidates would probably emerge. In the end Northern votes would be fragmented amongst something like five candidates.

Secondly, Ribadu is not popular in the North. He is not popular at all. Ribadu, El Rufai and Dangote are amongst the most unpopular Northerners in the conservative Arewa enclave. They feel these guys work against Northern interest. They are seen as stooges of OBJ. El Rufai and Ribadu are proponents of true Federalism and meritocracy which are principles that run against conservative northern ideologies. Dangote on the other hand is accused of establishing all his industries in the south and never given to employing his own brethren.

For me personally, I would love to see Ribadu in Aso Rock. He and Jonathan are currently the most popular politicians in the country Nigeria would changed for the better. But 2011 is too near and the PDP is so lucky this time around to have a likely candidate in Jonathan that is so popular amongst the people.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Gbawe: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2010
PapaBrowne:

^^^^^
Gbawe, you are giving way too much credence to the north. It appears you are not aware what time it is. Nigeria's political landscape has changed dramatically. The North has been badly fragmented.

Now I forgot to mention in my first post that there are two reasons Ribadu would not sweep northern votes.
First, there would be too many presidential candidates from the north. Buhari would definitely contest under CPC. Shekarau [/b]will definitely contest under ANPP. [b]Babangida is not likely to give up his ambition. Atiku mind is definitely made up to run. Other Northern candidates would probably emerge. In the end Northern votes would be fragmented amongst something like five candidates.

Secondly, Ribadu is not popular in the North. He is not popular at all. Ribadu, El Rufai and Dangote are amongst the most unpopular Northerners in the conservative Arewa enclave. They feel these guys work against Northern interest. They are seen as stooges of OBJ. El Rufai and Ribadu are proponents of true Federalism and meritocracy which are principles that run against conservative northern ideologies. Dangote on the other hand is accused of establishing all his industries in the south and never given to employing his own brethren.

For me personally, I would love to see Ribadu in Aso Rock. He and Jonathan are currently the most popular politicians in the country Nigeria would changed for the better. But 2011 is too near and the PDP is so lucky this time around to have a likely candidate in Jonathan that is so popular amongst the people.

PapaBrowne, your thinking is commendable as it is based on logic and solidly feasible permutation.  Nonetheless, these are extraordinary times and we will see extraordinary allegiances forged. The North wil be feeling the pulse of Nigeria. Zoning has divided our nation bitterly. The North is now looking crude, dictatorial, prehistoric and anti-progress. The region will now be open to compromise and bridge-mending in its attempt to gain the Presidency come 2011.

I am on the ground in Nigeria and I see how The North is under immense pressure to field a credible candidate who will be a total departure from the retrogressive rogues and clueless leaders they seem to produce with regularity to the detriment of Nigeria. The North will be aware that , After Yar Adua, Nigeria will rather vote in Jonathan than tolerate another discredited and ruinous hand from its region. It is only a foolish Northerner that will not understand that , with the growing condemnation of zoning daily, it is only a progressive Northerner that will stand a chance against the power of incumbency. The AC has locked on to this desperation and that is why I think they will move away from expedient politics to field a genuinely popular candidate all Nigerians can identify with as a symbol of progress and development.

Nigeria has moved on and the North will realise it is not likely to gain the Presidency with one of its overtly "business-as-usual"  sons such as IBB and Atiku. Buhari remains a credible candidate but he will not be deemed , in these times when enmity is growing  againt the North , as being in the same league as Ribadu in the quest to gain a candidate acceptable to all regions of Nigeria.

I am not giving too much credence to the North at all. If anything , I feel that the North is now learning to compromise. They compromised in 2006-2007 by backing a candidate , when push came to shove,  that had little popularity and support in the region (Yar Adua) all for the sake of a Northern Presidency . Ribadu is a far easier sell than Yar Adua.

Yar Adua , in 2006, was a far greater gamble for the North than Ribadu is now. Yet the orth backed Yardy. WHat does that say about the region? For starters , Yar Adua did not want the Presidency and many regarded him as divisive, reclusive, an unpredictable character and an impossibly radical element who could not be trusted. If the North learned to get behind Yar Adua they will do the same ,and even more fervently, for a man who can win on his popularity and record alone so far as other challengers to Jonathan (IBB, Atiku, Gusau et al) , even if intrinsically more desirable in a "business-as-usual" manner, will see the North lose the Presidency to an incumbent Southerner.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2010
[size=13pt]The man is a WISE man, even wiser if he admits he does not have what it takes to run a nation as is all too apparent! [/size] . . .  Thank God there are still some integrity left in that nation! I am sick and tired of all this "My 15-minutes of fame is here, so I will run for president" bug that has infected the country. Making matters worse is this BROWN NOSING among the people. Once someone is attacked in most anyway by the leading politicians, he is somehow transformed in the mind of many into a "GOOD CANDIDATE" for the presidency. COME ON!!
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Beaf: 5:02pm On Jul 10, 2010
AC is the wrong party for Ribadu. It just doesn't have national credibility, not with Tinubu pulling all the AC strings.
As for Fashola running as VP or even President under AC, Tinubu will be sure to kill such an ambition. In Tinubu's eyes, it will be him or no one.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by monkeyleg: 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2010
@ Beaf, AC on first thought might seem like the worng party, but it is the only party that has some sort of platform to challenge PDP. By the way, it is all so easy for us to sit and analyse this whole thing. The important fact still remains that if Nuhu does decide to run, how many people on here are prepared to vote for him and defend thier vote. Because what I sense is that we are back to this same old, same old, " he wont won, so I wont vote for him"

From initial thought, I dont think there is a single politician (including GJ), that can claim he ro she is likely to win the next election. it is still up for grabs, Nigerians as usual are not prepared to do what is takes to get credible and qualified people into power. We all sit here analysing things, and u know what, pdp might not even have to do anything special to claim victory.

I have always argued that Nigerians are far better off voting for change, but from what I can see, 2011 will not be different from 2007f. A country where people suffer so much, and yet are not prepared to do anything about thier situation.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by BigB11(m): 10:58pm On Jul 10, 2010
Ribadu is a great Nigerian who wants nothing but the best for this country, there is absolutely no doubt about it. The energy/drive is there enormously, but he doesn't have the capability to lead this nation.
Leadership is a very interesting role, it is certainly not for everybody, and this doesn't mean that if you can't lead you're stupi*d. It simply means leadership role or leading in general is deeper than Ribadu.

The only reason why Ribadu is being considered is simply because we haven't seen a great leader in this country in a very long time. Ribadu is absolutely not a leader. It is possible that he could be a great adviser to the top in certain area, anything else will be too much for him to handle.

Leadership and Nigerians in general are mostly not compatible; sorry guys, this is the honest truth. And if you know one or two things about leadership, you'll definitely know why I have made this statement.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by PapaBrowne(m): 11:18pm On Jul 10, 2010
^^^^
@Bigb1.
I get your point and I somewhat agree with you. But I'm quite surprised that you didn't end your quote with a campaign for IBB.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by OAM4J: 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2010
^^^ same here. I was expecting his argument to develop into IBB being the best leader for now, but. . .

@Gbawe and PapaBrowne

I like you analysis; in depth, unbiased, frank, truthful and insult free cheesy

Overall am positive that jettison zoning now, will be for the good of Nigeria. Let each region that wants to win an election play their best card(candidate) capable of winning election on merit

At the end Nigeria will be better for it. The support for Ribadu I see here shows that the southerners have no problem supporting the North in as much the candidate is credible enough for them.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by BigB11(m): 11:53pm On Jul 10, 2010
You asked for it, here it is:

Lack of leadership role amongst Nigerians are the main reason why we continue to consider or go back to ex leaders who have shown us very little promising leadership role or characteristics. I guess a little bit is better than nothing.

IBB has my support simply because nobody else has the balls to lead this nation appropriately at this very difficult period. IBB has the capability to touch anybody and protect Nigeria from these bastards that call themselves leaders. He isn't a coward, he is ready to puncture anyone that wants to sabotage his ambition to be the best leader Nigeria has even seen. IBB can not afford to fumble this time around, trust me, he has too much to lose. And this is the type of entity that will lead us to the promise land.
Anything else will be combination of wuru wuru, big talk and shakara.

Typical example is our f00lish president who couldn't wait for the world cup to be over before making a stupi*d decision to ban the Super Eagles without thinking about his decision. The f00l final changed his decision after the FIFA smacked him in the face.

A great leader profoundly and quickly thinks about his or her decision before executing it; and once this decision is made, he or she must never change it.
Changing your decision as a leader makes you look like a weak and complete incompetent leader.
So far Goodluck has been nothing, but a high school class captain, who has no balls to do anything constructive as our president.

Trust me.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by ladi02(m): 1:14am On Jul 11, 2010
wow i'm amazed at the politics Thisday is playing with their headline, Ribadu DID NOT decline to contest

misinforming the public they should be ashamed!
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by tpiah: 1:21am On Jul 11, 2010
the process of change already initiated by ordinary Nigerians on the streets of Nigeria, [size=16pt]the Internet [/size] , in various town hall meetings, community groups, churches, mosques and other traditional places of worship

hmmm
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 11, 2010
SO EVERYBODY IS DECLINING TO BECOME NIGERIA'S PRESIDENT?

Oga o, e don reach that level?

"I have strong interest in the future of Nigeria and its citizens, I have strong interest in helping to form, change or redirect the destiny of our nation in the right direction this time around and  I am convinced that the country deserves better leadership
Begining to wonder who will make a better Leader
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]The man is a WISE man, even wiser if he admits he does not have what it takes to run a nation as is all too apparent! [/size] . . .  [b]Thank God there are still some integrity left in that nation! [/b]I am sick and tired of all this "My 15-minutes of fame is here, so I will run for president" bug that has infected the country. Making matters worse is this BROWN NOSING among the people. Once someone is attacked in most anyway by the leading politicians, he is somehow transformed in the mind of many into a "GOOD CANDIDATE" for the presidency. COME ON!!

I know. I see a rising sun.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by shifav: 3:42am On Jul 11, 2010
Lets wait and see the next person to decline contesting for number one citizen in Nigeria
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by tpiah: 3:45am On Jul 11, 2010
make una put sauron there but with 60 days fasting and prayer because the guy will probably nuke all of una. . . . . . . . . . . . .

be ready to meet your maker. . . . . . . . .
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by stshakes(m): 4:21am On Jul 11, 2010
let him contest if he wants to abeg
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by monkeyleg: 6:45am On Jul 11, 2010
Ribadu has not declined, probably studying the environment properly before declaring. That said, I do agree with Big B1 that Nuhu may not be the best candidate for the top job, he is best suited to the top police job, were he is likely to make big inroads, but that said he represents change. and I believe he has the balls to challenge that evil that has kept Nigeria down for so long.

I think Nasir or Pat would be better choices, however they do not have the popularity of Nuhu. Maybe a Nuhu / Pat combo or Nasir /Pat combo.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 11, 2010
Wise ecision if he Declines cool
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by MUZBO(m): 9:47am On Jul 11, 2010
Even paul the octopus knows Ribadu will finally contest! All this red herring n stuff. . .
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by CGKing(m): 9:50am On Jul 11, 2010
From what I read, it doesnt sound like he declined. Looks like he is just waiting to see the next card life will deal. Anyhow, if he does decline, Fashola will make a far better choice to me and think that man just need little more powers.
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by topsywest(m): 10:23am On Jul 11, 2010
[b]Nice Analysis all this while. But no poster has mentioned how Ribadu was automatically exonerated of the charges that made him flee
Nigeria on self imposed exile. You all think it came like that? Even with his purpoted dismissal turned into retirement? Was it by fluke?

My view: Goodluck Jonathan was behind all these events knowing fully well, d popularity of the anti-corruption caezar and his general
acceptability by majority of the Nigerian people (Ribadu) wanted to use him to warm his way into the hearts of the Nigerian pple by giving
him a key role in his govt. At a point, rumours had it that Ribadu was being considered for the position of INEC boss, Vice president and most recently, special adviser to govt on anti-corruption.

In light of the above, if Ribadu, in his characteristical manner allows himself to be mis-led, and not wait for his time, ie after GJ in 2015 (assuming he GJ runs) that will amount to political suicide.

However, if he serves in GJ's govt and still succeeds in endearing himself to majority of Nigerians like he did while he was EFCC boss, he may have succeeded in preparing the way as GJ may have no other option than to favor him as the anointed candidate from the north come 2015. The keywrod here for Ribadu is patience and threading the ground softly,  otherwise, we won't be surprised to see the print media in the coming weeks flooded with propaganda against Ribadu on issues that were considered buried while he held sway as EFCC boss. courtesy of our very own GJ. (Who do you think was behind Ogbulafor's travails?)

Finally, me thinks there's more to Presidential eligiblity than just being young or having a hardline special stance on corruption, as he will be required to make economic decisions and outright trade offs characreistical of politicians. IS Ribadu a politician The Ribadu I know is vindictive and as such may rather spend most of his tenure haunting corrupt officials while matters of state are left pending [/b]
Re: 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency by TheClown: 10:40am On Jul 11, 2010
@Big B1

Did you notice how Papa Browne and Gbewe argued? Those are intellectuals! Logical, tolerative, insult free and even educative! Look to the ants oh sluggard, learn their ways and be wise!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Black Scorpion Adekunle’s Regrets, Bosom Friend, Don Aki Recalls - 20/9/2014 / Photos: Most Outrageous And Grueling Navy Seal Drilling / Buratai's Convoy (funny Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.