Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,865 members, 7,872,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:19 AM

"Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? (1641 Views)

It's A Man That Will Pay For It. Stop Exposing It - Mum Scolds Daughter (Video) / What Do Our Women Really Want / Do Women Really Love Their Children More Than Their Husbands? And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 08, 2018
"Equal pay for women"... really??

Find me a woman who works the same hours on the same job with the same qualifications, same time on job, same education and experience as her male coworkers... but is paid less. I'd like to see it.

So tired of the "women are paid less than men" crap!

Cc dshowpatapa,tonyebarcanista,crackhaus,seahawk,bukatyne,missraine79,eketem

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 08, 2018
Elder0001:
"Equal pay for women"... really??

Find me a woman who works the same hours on the same job with the same qualifications, same time on job, same education and experience as her male coworkers... but is paid less. I'd like to see it.

So tired of the "women are paid less than men" crap!

Cc dshowpatapa,tonyebarcanista,crackhaus,seahawk,bukatyne,missraine79,eketem

Doesn't exists, I have a lady in my former company Interswitchng that lady outworks all the men, and she is rewarded for it. Gender Pay Gap is a myth to me, there's no company that pays less because you are a woman, if you are paid less it just means you are bad at negotiating

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by pocohantas(f): 11:53pm On Oct 08, 2018
pcguru1:

Doesn't exists, I have a lady in my former company Interswitchng that lady outworks all the men, and she is rewarded for it. Gender Pay Gap is a myth to me, there's no company that pays less because you are a woman, if you are paid less it just means you are bad at negotiating

True. At least for every structured organisation, salaries are never by gender but qualifications. There might be times where you will be favoured based on your gender, just as there are some roles that are deemed gender sensitive (like we have more female customer service officers) but the salary is defined.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 09, 2018
pocohantas:

True. At least for every structured organisation, salaries are never by gender but qualifications. There might be times where you might be favoured based on your gender, just as there are some roles that are deemed gender sensitive (like we have more female customer service officers) but the salary is defined.

Hmm, you know I have never looked at it that way, now that I think of it a lot of customer support are females, I don't have enough to say it could be true or not.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by pocohantas(f): 12:25am On Oct 09, 2018
pcguru1:

Hmm, you know I have never looked at it that way, now that I think of it a lot of customer support are females, I don't have enough to say it could be true or not.

Yea, it is true. I have benefitted from that. My current boss specifically stated that she wants a female in her unit and the guys in the unit were in support.

Nice dp. Looks like you age backwards...
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 12:47am On Oct 09, 2018
pocohantas:

Yea, it is true. I have benefitted from that. My current boss specifically stated that she wants a female in her unit and the guys in the unit were in support.

Nice dp. Looks like you age backwards...

Same with my former company. Guys were mostly support.

@age part
Na God oh lol despite the the country stress grin thanks love
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 6:49am On Oct 09, 2018
Most organizations usually have a well-defined pay structure that cuts across gender. If there's a situation where a woman is being paid less for doing the same job and working the same hours as her male colleagues, it's probably because the woman involved didn't do her homework before negotiating her salary in the first place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Brazenbabe: 8:33am On Oct 09, 2018
There is a pay disparity between genders
It might not be apparent as much in the few multinationals but it is very evident in indigenous companies
The HR would offer a woman less even at the point of negotiation
It is assumed that the man has more dependents so will need more money
When you enter a department in an indigenous company, with a man and woman doing the same job, the man is paid more
Often times, if there is need for retrenchment, guess who is sacked first undecided , regardless of qualification.
I mean, some companies don't even employ married women
Pay disparity among genders is very present. Even in the structured companies, it exists in their contract or 3rd party staff.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Acidosis(m): 9:33am On Oct 09, 2018
Brazenbabe:
It might not be apparent as much in the few multinationals but it is very evident in indigenous companies
When you enter a department in an indigenous company, with a man and woman doing the same job, the man is paid more
Often times, if there is need for retrenchment, guess who is sacked first undecided , regardless of qualification.
Pay disparity among genders is very present. Even in the structured companies, it exists in their contract or 3rd party staff.

So what are you going to do now? Eradicate all men from the surface of the earth? You go soon enter market o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 3:53pm On Oct 09, 2018
Brazenbabe:
All you have here are conjectures.

Name the companies.

2 Likes

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Belafonte(m): 5:48pm On Oct 09, 2018
Brazenbabe:

You can not seriously give discrepancies in pay negotiations as an example of pay gap because the female is at liberty to ask for what males ask for. Failure to secure good enough or better pay is the fault of the employee not the employer. Nobody wants to pay more than they need to and if there's a loophole, any business with capitalise on it.

Teach your sisters to be better negotiators. Besides, not all men negotiate well, some are probably paid less than women.

Also, an organisation not employing married women is understandable. Some don't employ single men either and you don't hear men whinging. Life cannot favour you everytime, find where you'll flourish and reap fruits there. Period.

By the way, there's no gender pay gap in Nigeria. Anybody who tells you it exists here is a liar. Shalom.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by bukatyne(f): 6:40pm On Oct 09, 2018
crackhaus:
Most organizations usually have a well-defined pay structure that cuts across gender. If there's a situation where a woman is being paid less for doing the same job and working the same hours as her male colleagues, it's probably because the woman involved didn't do her homework before negotiating her salary in the first place.

@Bold,

Not true. The defined structure is only on paper.

However, the pay disparity is not based on size of breasts, it is based on certifications, who you know, where you are from, your family pedigree, your university, your last pay grade and good old packaging.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by bukatyne(f): 6:50pm On Oct 09, 2018
Brazenbabe:

I have never experienced it however, I have not worked everywhere so I will not say it is 100% wrong.

@married women, I want to believe it depends on the job. A bank might not want to employ a married woman as a marketer because she might be able to do what is needed to market the bank; some other company might see that the role requires late hours and a married woman might not fit in; the role might be a role that requires high availability and they do not want story of my baby was sick.

For instance, would you advise a married woman to be a male boss' PA? If the man says he wants only men preferably single so they can move at shortest notice, is it bad?

Some companies tell newly married women not to get pregnant until a certain period etc. You don't want to pay for mat leave back to back neither do you want all your employees out on mat leave at same time.

@HR offering: You collect or reject na. I am sure that if you drill down, you would see that there is a difference somewhere.

I have been involved in a little recruitment and they look at for a looooooooot of things in addition to performance. They go as far as looks for some roles, proximity to the office, your surname etc.

Human resource planning is no joke.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by bukatyne(f): 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2018
crackhaus:

All you have here are conjectures.

Name the companies.

Have you worked in all companies?

2 Likes

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2018
Trustyshoess what's your opinion?
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2018
bukatyne:

You're seeing his point from a different angle.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by bukatyne(f): 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2018
Elder0001:

You're seeing his point from a different angle.

Nope, he said all she typed were conjectures hence the question.

Have I seen gender based disparity for same job and hours? No

Can I swear that it does not happen? No

Why? I have not worked everywhere.

The day someone told me that a company pays all employees cash (No matter the salary) because they dedicate it to their idols first, I was shocked.

Prior to then, I might be tempted to say it cannot happen because it doesn't make sense.

2 Likes

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2018
bukatyne:

Your answer is in the very next line which you conveniently ignored.

1 Like

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2018
[quote author=Elder0001 post=71935390]Trustyshoess what's your opinion?
Okay the gender pay gap does exist and is a real thing, even in the most developed nations. Here's why I say that
There's a common misconception that the gender pay gap refers to women and men being paid different salaries for the exact same job description in the same organisation and eventeven though hough this is the case in some rare instances in very backward societies, it isn't what the gender pay gap refers solely to.
When activists like feminists for example refer to getting rid of the gender pay gap, we're talking about generally.
In MOST if not all organisations, if you take the average that each male earns (regardless of job description) and compare to the average for women, it is almost always higher.
Now this means that more women tend to be employed into lower salary roles than men and as a result men earn more ON AVERAGE.
This usually points to a much larger problem such as education gap, where women are educated less than men which is the case in a lot of developing nations or because more men are employed than women or a highly sexist/patriarchal culture which permits employers (which may include women by the way) to discriminate against women and prefer to employ men for higher roles and women for lower

1 Like

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2018
bukatyne:

@Bold,

Not true. The defined structure is only on paper.

However, the pay disparity is not based on size of breasts, it is based on certifications, who you know, where you are from, your family pedigree, your university, your last pay grade and good old packaging.
I typed "most companies", not "all companies".

If you're going to discredit my assertion, the least you could do is name the companies where pay structure is only on paper.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 8:10pm On Oct 09, 2018
bukatyne:

Nope, he said all she typed were conjectures hence the question.

Have I seen gender based disparity for same job and hours? No

Can I swear that it does not happen? No

Why? I have not worked everywhere.

The day someone told me that a company pays all employees cash (No matter the salary) because they dedicate it to their idols first, I was shocked.

Prior to then, I might be tempted to say it cannot happen because it doesn't make sense.

Lol.. Buka you don start again...

Conjecture - An inference, supposition, opinion, or conclusion, formed on the basis of incomplete information lacking sufficient evidence or proof.

The burden of proof is now on you to list the companies with gender pay gaps in Nigeria...and to make this fair, for every one you name, I will name two without these pay disparities.

1, 2, 3... GO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2018
trustyshoess:

Nice points but have you seen a woman working for the same hours as a man ,the same job ,the same qualification etc yet is paid less than the man?
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 09, 2018
Elder0001:

Nice points but have you seen a woman working for the same hours as a man ,the same job ,the same qualification etc yet is paid less than the man?
Nope ive never seen that happen.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 8:58pm On Oct 09, 2018
trustyshoess:

Okay the gender pay gap does exist and is a real thing, even in the most developed nations. Here's why I say that
There's a common misconception that the gender pay gap refers to women and men being paid different salaries for the exact same job description in the same organisation and eventeven though hough this is the case in some rare instances in very backward societies, it isn't what the gender pay gap refers solely to.
When activists like feminists for example refer to getting rid of the gender pay gap, we're talking about generally.
In MOST if not all organisations, if you take the average that each male earns (regardless of job description) and compare to the average for women, it is almost always higher.
Now this means that more women tend to be employed into lower salary roles than men and as a result men earn more ON AVERAGE.
The average is higher because there are more men in that organization, not because the women were employed into lower salary roles (whatever that means).

[s]This usually points to a much larger problem such as education gap, where women are educated less than men[/s] which is the case in a lot of developing nations or because more men are employed than women [s]or a highly sexist/patriarchal culture which permits employers (which may include women by the way) to discriminate against women and prefer to employ men for higher roles and women for lower[/s]
Depending on the job description specifically and the kind of work an organization is involved in, there will always be gender-based employment. This has nothing to do with discrimination or patriarchy, but common business sense on how to increase productivity and generate income.

The same way there are more female nurses, female cabin crew in airplanes, female bankers in customer interactive roles, female teachers, female hospitality industry staff, and female journalists...is the same way there are more male laborers, male offshore engineers, male astronauts, male security guards, and male military officers.

In gender-neutral roles where it still seems males are given preference, you just have to chalk it off to nature. If you were an employer looking to hire for a role that requires meeting deadlines and producing key deliverables as at when due, and you had to choose between a qualified recently-married man and a qualified recently-married woman, which would you go for?

1 Like

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 09, 2018
crackhaus:

The average is higher because there are more men in that organization, not because the women were employed into lower salary roles (whatever that means).

Depending on the job description specifically and the kind of work an organization is involved in, there will always be gender-based employment. This has nothing to do with discrimination or patriarchy, but common business sense on how to increase productivity and generate income.

The same way there are more female nurses, female cabin crew in airplanes, female bankers in customer interactive roles, female teachers, female hospitality industry staff, and female journalists...is the same way there are more male laborers, male offshore engineers, male astronauts, male security guards, and male military officers.

In gender-neutral roles where it still seems males are given preference, you just have to chalk it off to nature. If you were an employer looking to hire for a role that requires meeting deadlines and producing key deliverables as at when due, and you had to choose between a qualified recently-married man and a qualified recently-married woman, which would you go for?
It is a fact that less women are able to get high paid jobs due to a less education and patriarchy so I'm not gonna bother arguing about it.

The fact that there are gender specific roles is a massive problem in my opinion. There are many men who even though would like to work in those roles you mentioned, will not even attempt to, just because they know they would most likely be looked down on because it's viewed as a woman's job. Same goes for women. People should be employed solely based on their qualifications. Everyone should have an equal opportunity regardless of gender.
This gender disparity in work places affect women more, not because men hate women or vice versa but because the system in most societies is patriarchal. This starts from the beginning, where a girl child is encouraged to strive towards home making rather than having a career. What you end up with is a population of women who aren't as qualified as their male counterparts so obviously they will not be able to get the same level of employment.
And to answer your question, I wouldn't be looking at their marital status to make that decision because I would expect anyone applying for a role to know what it entails. If they can deal with it despite being newlywed, then that's fine. No two married men/women are the same. It would be unfair to deny someone a job opportunity just because they are married. Who's to say that they won't have the time?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2018
trustyshoess:

Nope ive never seen that happen.

Then gender pay gap obviously doesn't exist.

The problem is ,some women want to get paid the same amount with men even when they work for lesser hours,lesser qualifications etc.

Example We both (you and I) work for FedEX ,you work as a sales assistant(4hours) and I work as an engineer(7hours) . I'm paid $4000 monthly and you're paid $2700 monthly but you want us to be paid the same amount because we are working for the same company.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by crackhaus: 9:40pm On Oct 09, 2018
trustyshoess:

It is a fact that less women are able to get high paid jobs due to a less education and patriarchy so I'm not gonna bother arguing about it.

The fact that there are gender specific roles is a massive problem in my opinion. There are many men who even though would like to work in those roles you mentioned, will not even attempt to, just because they know they would most likely be looked down on because it's viewed as a woman's job. Same goes for women. People should be employed solely based on their qualifications. Everyone should have an equal opportunity regardless of gender.
This gender disparity in work places affect women more, not because men hate women or vice versa but because the system in most societies is patriarchal. This starts from the beginning, where a girl child is encouraged to strive towards home making rather than having a career. What you end up with is a population of women who aren't as qualified as their male counterparts so obviously they will not be able to get the same level of employment.
And to answer your question, I wouldn't be looking at their marital status to make that decision because I would expect anyone applying for a role to know what it entails. If they can deal with it despite being newlywed, then that's fine. No two married men/women are the same. It would be unfair to deny someone a job opportunity just because they are married. Who's to say that they won't have the time?
There are so many things wrong with your post and it will require too much typing from me to address all of it.

I'll rather streamline this exchange to your last paragraph and take it from there.
"Marital Status" and "Gender" will always be employment criteria whether you like it or not. Employers and recruiters do not make selections based on "what if", this is the answer to the very last line and question in your post.

Gender-pay disparities have nothing to do with these employment criteria though, just so we don't lose focus on what the topic is actually about.
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2018
Elder0001:

Then gender pay gap obviously doesn't exist.

The problem is ,some women want to get paid the same amount with men even when they work for lesser hours,lesser qualifications etc.

Example We both (you and I) work for FedEX ,you work as a sales assistant(4hours) and I work as an engineer(7hours) . I'm paid $4000 monthly and you're paid $2700 monthly but you want us to be paid the same amount because we are working for the same company.
The pay gap does exist. It is based on AVERAGE earnings.
Any sales clerk whether male or female who expects to be paid the same salary as an engineer doesn't have their heads screwed on right
Its a no brainer that salaries will vary from role to role within and beyond a company. I've not heard of anyone with such expectations

1 Like

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2018
crackhaus:

There are so many things wrong with your post and it will require too much typing from me to address all of it.

I'll rather streamline this exchange to your last paragraph and take it from there.
"Marital Status" and "Gender" will always be employment criteria whether you like it or not. Employers and recruiters do not make selections based on "what if", this is the answer to the very last line and question in your post.

Gender-pay disparities have nothing to do with these employment criteria though, just so we don't lose focus on what the topic is actually about.
Agree to disagree then

2 Likes

Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by monex(m): 8:26pm On Oct 14, 2018
[quote author=trustyshoess post=71936696][/quote]

so you are talking about gender discrimination in employment rather than gender-pay gap.

They are two different things
Re: "Equal Pay For Women"... Really?? by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 15, 2018
monex:

so you are talking about gender discrimination in employment rather than gender-pay gap.

They are two different things
I know the difference and I was in fact talking about the gender pay gap. Gender discrimination in employment is one of the causes of the gender pay gap

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Pastor Is Being Denied Sex By His Wife / Household Clearance Items For Sale / Any Suggestion Of A Good School For My 6yr Old Son In Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.