Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:51 PM

Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids (2313 Views)

Seadogs Donates Library To NAPTIP In UYO For Trafficking Victims. / NAPTIP : Can Anything Be Done About This Picture / Leave Yarima Alone - Women Tell Naptip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by qrich: 1:11am On Jul 13, 2010
I heard it on Radio Nigeria yesterday that NAPTIP will start prosecuting people found with housemaids and will be sent to jail. Also, brothels that habour under aged will be closed down, have the property confiscated by the government and the proceeds used for catering for the abused children.
Anyone in the house with more info on this development?
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by rickie4us(m): 2:05am On Jul 13, 2010
I am waiting for how this is going to work
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:12am On Jul 13, 2010
qrich:

I heard it on Radio Nigeria yesterday that NAPTIP will start prosecuting people found with housemaids and will be sent to jail. Also, brothels that habour under aged will be closed down, have the property confiscated by the government and the proceeds used for catering for the abused children.
Anyone in the house with more info on this development?
Nigerian laws. Tails without heads.

Do we have affordable daycare centers?
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:12am On Jul 13, 2010
Great news! cool
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:15am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

Great news! cool
angry
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:21am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

angry
Yes na.
Less cases of husband r@ping house help, house-help molesting kids sexually, and the best of all, house-help using witchcraft to snatch the husband from boss lady. Everybody is happy tongue
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

Yes na.
Less cases of husband r@ping house help, house-help molesting kids sexually, and the best of all, house-help using witchcraft to snatch the husband from boss lady. Everybody is happy tongue
What happened to the children? Think about the children!
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by EzeUche(m): 3:27am On Jul 13, 2010
Over my dead body. I intend on having house-help. I remember the young woman my father used to have as house help. She was a fine babe!  cheesy
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:30am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Umm, there's a place called day care. tongue
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by OAM4J: 3:31am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Opportunity for new businesses; childminders Inc, Nanny home Ltd, House Service PLC, etc grin grin

Someone should be paying me for these biz ideas
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

Umm, there's a place called day care.  tongue

How affordable is the daycare. Cause most housemaids work for oga for their daily meals/food for family at home, so oga really doesnt pay them salaries. Some ppl cant affored daycare. And now how would those housemaids feed themselves?
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Opportunity for new businesses; childminders Inc, Nanny home Ltd, House Service PLC, etc grin grin

Someone should be paying me for these biz ideas
lmao! U dey crase.

But that's actually a good idea tho. New business, new jobs, employment rate goes up.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:38am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

How affordable is the daycare. Cause most housemaids work for oga for their daily meals/food for family at home, so oga really doesnt pay them salaries. Some ppl cant affored daycare. And now how would those housemaids feed themselves?
Well, that's why naija is messed up. They should go apply at the day care centers and work there(although that's not likely to happen anytime soon in naija). I don't think the idea of house-helps esp. with them living in the employer's home is good. It's probably done more harm than good. And yeah, there's poverty and no jobs. . . which is sad really because most times, these house-helps still don't get an education. They just drift from one house to another doing "house-help job" for YEARS and no salary. They might as well find something more beneficial to do. What that is, I dunno.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

Well, that's why naija is messed up. They should go apply at the day care centers and work there(although that's not likely to happen anytime soon in naija). I don't think the idea of house-helps esp. with them living in the employer's home is good. It's probably done more harm than good. And yeah, there's poverty and no jobs. . . which is sad really because most times, these house-helps still don't get an education. They just drift from one house to another doing "house-help job" for YEARS and no salary. They might as well find something more beneficial to do. What that is, I dunno.
I kinda agree. But it all depends on the job requirements there employers are looking for. Most of them have no education embarassed
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:45am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I kinda agree. But it all depends on the job requirements there employers are looking for. Most of them have no education embarassed
In America, I don't think one needs even a High School Diploma or GED to be a baby-sitter. That should be the equivalent, don't see why they should be requiring much in naija when they know that completing High School alone depends on your parents' pockets.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 13, 2010
True that.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by OAM4J: 3:55am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

Remove the abuse and the exploitations, housemaids are not different from babysitters who choose to live in.

I think the new law is only against using underage as housemaids, which I support.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 13, 2010
OAM4J:

Remove the abuse and the exploitations, housemaids are not different from babysitters who choose to live in.

I think the new law is only against using underage as housemaids, which I support.
Impossible.

What about housemaid with children [underaged] who housemaids with her?
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 3:58am On Jul 13, 2010
OAM4J:

And that's a lot.

Never heard of baby-sitters choosing to live in. Where's that?

I also support the under-age thing but even the adult ones are exploited and they can't do anything about it since they probably don't have shelter elsewhere.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by OAM4J: 4:04am On Jul 13, 2010
chiogo:

And that's a lot.

many places my dear, my sister had one in UK, she used to resume on Monday mornings and leave on Friday evenings, she is a Jamaican.

chiogo:

And that's a lot.

I also support the under-age thing but even the adult ones are exploited and they can't do anything about it since they probably don't have shelter elsewhere.

In Nigeria and many African countries, many rich oppress the poor (not just housemaids) that explains the desperation why everyone wants to get rich
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by chiogo(f): 4:17am On Jul 13, 2010
OAM4J:

In Nigeria and many African countries, many rich oppress the poor (not just housemaids) that explains the desperation why everyone wants to get rich
True, but being a house-help is def. not the way to riches.

But at least this so-called law would protect the under-aged ones. Would there be more poverty? Yes. But these parents should take up their responsibility and stop giving off their under-aged child for child labor to some pompous rich family.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by OAM4J: 4:22am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Impossible.

What about housemaid with children [underaged] who housemaids with her?

I dont get the question, you can ask me in Yoruba, you know I no too sabi english cheesy

chiogo:

True, but being a house-help is def. not the way to riches.

But at least this so-called law would protect the under-aged ones. Would there be more poverty? Yes. But these parents should take up their responsibility and stop giving off their under-aged child for child labor to some pompous rich family.

I agree with you 100%
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 4:31am On Jul 13, 2010
lol mo ni, awon housemaid ti won ni omo titiwon nko? Ti oga ile ba ni awon omo housemaide yen gbodo sise lati gbe pelu iyawon [housemaid] ni ile o n[oga].

Se housemaid a wa ni o n koni sise nitori awon omo e ni, tori law tutun to  ni omokekere ko gbudo se ise omo odo.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by OAM4J: 5:00am On Jul 13, 2010
lol, ok i understand you now.

Well, the housemaids children can live with their mother, assist their mother, but they must not be employee of their mum's employer if they are underage.

The employer cannot insist, else he/she risks arrest if found out, except there is a cover-up conspiracy btw the mother, the children and the employer

I think what the government is trying to achieve is to have all the children in school and put an end to child-labour. This is good, it will reduce the illiteracy rate.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Jakumo(m): 7:04am On Jul 13, 2010
In the same vein of utter insanity, I would like to propose a few more Nigerian laws.

1.  Any person found guilty of owning a car that is newer than ten years old should face 6 months in jail, with the alternative of bribing policemen daily for the rest of their lives.

2.  Any person who owns the house in which they reside should be slam dunked in jail for one year, with the alternative of paying bribes to all who demand them.

3.  Any person who cooks with gas or electricity in their home, as opposed to an open fire, must be eligible for 2 years in jail, with the alternative of daily escalating bribe handouts until such time as they revert to open fire cooking.

4. Any person who holds a bank account with more than ten thousand naira should be shot on sight, with the alternative of paying hourly bribes to all who request them.

5.  Any person found guilty of employing a gardener, driver or security guard should be publicly executed, with their corpse dragged through the streets, or in the alternative be obliged to pay bribes for the rest of their natural lives.

Praise the Lord !
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by philip0906(m): 7:20am On Jul 13, 2010
it sucks when i c a lil kid who is supposed 2 be in school,minding other children of their age. . .but it should be 4 only d underaged ones. . .cos we still need d matured ones [s]as per daddy and mummy out 2 work and bros alone at home[/s] grin grin grin grin
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by makajibbz(m): 7:30am On Jul 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Nigerian laws. Tails without heads.

Do we have affordable daycare centers?
what do you mean?
child abuse should still go on in Nigeria because their are no daycares for rich kids
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by oluwabamis(m): 7:38am On Jul 13, 2010
Nigerian lawmakers are one of the dumbest in the world. Making senseless laws that  does not move us forward in this age when nations are thinking of great things, we are still here jailing pple with househelps. I know many househelps who were trained up to the university level by their 'masters' such househelps would forever be grateful to their bosses. I know tere are several abuses of these people, but to just generalise things is not the solution, these lawmakers or policy makers or whoever is making these laws shhould be able to defferentiate btw exploitation and genuine love for these group of people. if this law is put into action there will be increase in prostitution, for the girls and increase in robberies for the guys. The best way around this issue is for employers of these househelps to kind of register with the govt agencies or better still have an agreement with their parents, so it looks formal annd it should only be for certain age limit. funny enough most of this naptip guys too have helps at home, they shd first jail themselves b4 jailing the rest of us. more comments later
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 13, 2010
I am not a fan of the househelp episode. Most Nigerians like enslaving people even in Offices, one man / women emperor show. Why will you keep someone without defining working conditions or working hours. You say you are helping yet they will not send the child to school or even if they decide to send the child to school the child will be sent to a low standard public school while your own child attends a standard school. When this maids comes back from school, the madam does not care if she has homework or how her class work goes despite the fact that she needs speacial attention because obviously she may not have started school early. maid comes back from school strats working, cooking, washing and taking care of your kids. No time for home work or revising her school work. Abeg, let bme go and open a day car, am good with kids.
habouring housemaids is bad, if you want to employ somepne, employ her with full benefits so she can make her choice. We treat Housemaids as less than humas, without emotions and needs
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by deor03(m): 8:29am On Jul 13, 2010
Excellent News !
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by texazzpete(m): 8:32am On Jul 13, 2010
Jakumo:

In the same vein of utter insanity, I would like to propose a few more Nigerian laws.

1.  Any person found guilty of owning a car that is newer than ten years old should face 6 months in jail, with the alternative of bribing policemen daily for the rest of their lives.

2.  Any person who owns the house in which they reside should be slam dunked in jail for one year, with the alternative of paying bribes to all who demand them.

3.  Any person who cooks with gas or electricity in their home, as opposed to an open fire, must be eligible for 2 years in jail, with the alternative of daily escalating bribes until such time as they revert to open fire cooking.

4. Any person who holds a bank account with more than ten thousand naira should be shot on sight, with the alternative of paying hourly bribes to all who request them.

5.  Any person found guilty of employing a gardener, driver or security guard should be publicly executed, with their corpse dragged through the streets, or in the alternative be obliged to pay bribes for the rest of their natural lives.

Praise the Lord !

Easy with your overreaction. I'm pretty sure this law covers the use of underage people as housemaids. And i applaud such laws.
I always find it sickening how people who suffered the pains of slavery can easily subjugate and oppress their fellow human being all in the name of 'housegirl' or 'houseboy'.
Re: Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids by makajibbz(m): 8:45am On Jul 13, 2010
oluwabamis:

Nigerian lawmakers are one of the dumbest in the world. Making senseless laws that  does not move us forward in this age when nations are thinking of great things, we are still here jailing pple with househelps. I know many househelps who were trained up to the university level by their 'masters' such househelps would forever be grateful to their bosses. I know tere are several abuses of these people, but to just generalise things is not the solution, these lawmakers or policy makers or whoever is making these laws shhould be able to defferentiate btw exploitation and genuine love for these group of people. if this law is put into action there will be increase in prostitution, for the girls and increase in robberies for the guys. The best way around this issue is for employers of these househelps to kind of register with the govt agencies or better still have an agreement with their parents, so it looks formal annd it should only be for certain age limit. funny enough most of this naptip guys too have helps at home, they shd first jail themselves b4 jailing the rest of us. more comments later
the new law is based on under-aged househelps not general, the employment of these children is more or less child slavery or abuse,i've experienced some of these things were the 8years old girl is brutally abuse by her ''mommy'' because she broke a glass cup, The implementaton of this law will make it strictly business,if you're over 18 and you wanna work as a househelp,you work and get salary either daily or weekly or monthly.Not living with your client pretending to take care of you like a mother,it's not done anywhere.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Npf Has No Right To Speak For Northerners – Northern Group / Buhari Refuses To Ask For Calm! / Another T.B Joshua Prophecy: There Will Be A Plane Crash Involving Politians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.