Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,680 members, 7,882,308 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:22 PM

Which Way Nlng? - Jobs/Vacancies (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Way Nlng? (212334 Views)

GMAT BOOKS,NLNG,DRAGNET,SHL,SHELL,EDITABLE RESUME TEMPLATES,RESUME MAKER PRO(PC) / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2008
Have a happy SUNDAY every1
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 1:51pm On Mar 16, 2008
tommyex:

Have a happy SUNDAY everyone

@ tommyex
au far?no vex say i dey blank for sometime. the way things dey go na him no make me talk.
I don tire for wetin Arsenal dey play nw. Imagine for straight draw matches (8 points gone), i no even knw wetin to do again but as u don talk, God help Arsenal, infact God deliver Arsenal
i sign out first
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2008
lol,then you ll sign in 2ND abi? cheesy

I dey feel u man,Ken dey talk say una test dey flow now,so its time 2 read,Jus 'DO US PROUD,PAPILO(SKEELO)'

WE STILL HAVE HOPE,BUT WE MUST WIN CHELSKI NEXT WEEK SUNDAY,God dey
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 4:25pm On Mar 16, 2008
birmingham 2 arsenal 2
arsenal 1 aston villa 1
wigan 1 arsenal 1
arsenal 1 middlesbrough 1

[size=13pt]
phew! skeelo and tommyex, wetin dey happen? [/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 9:34pm On Mar 16, 2008
kuwena:

AlfaPrime, you are very perceptive about our leaders. If I were to analyze the situation, this would be my submission: while they were struggling to leave the poverty of the hood, the would-be Nigerian leaders were thinking of throwing back the 'oppression' of mediocrity into the faces of their fellows. They were not thinking of turning their situations into good for other people. They were simply thinking of overcoming poverty to impress those around them, and show their people that they had arrived, and amass for themselves and family everything they could at the expense of others. Soyinka put it ever so beautifully in his book, The Lion and the Jewel: 'Progress makes every homestead look the same.' This was Baroka's rejoinder to the accusation that he was a clog in the wheel of the general progress. Which he was, indeed.

Many Nigerian leaders want there always to be the greater portion of the population deprived and looking up to them, the privileged ones, as some sort of messiahs, and ogling, and fawning, and ogling and fawning. These people are not leaders at all! Real leaders like Mandela suffered 28 or more years for their country, but after only five years gave leadership up for others. Records also show that a man like George Washington was tempted to become a life-long ruler, but he refused, in the interests of America. I could go on and on. Bottom line is, like I said before, we are surfeit with inferior people in this nation. There are too many of them! Just too many! Too many inferior people around. Too many! Phew!

People going around thinking only one thing: I, and 'I will show them.' Phew! Phew, phew phew! PHEW!!!

Methinks you're right, Kuwena. Even though, the post was not really to castigate the leaders or rulers (past or present). It's also sobering to note that hardly any of them set out to become what they ended up becoming. at the beginning of their tenures or regimes, they all set out to bring good and achieve progress for the country. And it was confirmed that there were actually positive developments in the early days of their tenures, but before u knew it, some fundamental derailing always occured. That's y I said it calls for some soul-searching to ensure that whatever caused them to miss it does not affect us in our resolve to do better today. Such history should not repeat itself. When we see then fall out of favour with each other and turn around to expose one another's evil deeds against NIgerians, may we see it as hard proof that ultimately, the masses will be vindicated in this internecine conflict.

Here's wishing all of us a splendid week ahead. Anyone with authentic info about the actual public holidays coming up this week?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 9:54pm On Mar 16, 2008
[size=14pt]Alfaprime and public hols! grin, from my hideout in england, i can tell u authoritatively that Good friday and easter monday are bank holidays. Any oda holiday- i no sabi about o smiley. Meanwhile. for the next one week, i might be unable to post- i m not goin AWOL- its still duty calling. We head up to the West of England (we r in the north east) for what i believe will be a rigorous week of team building exercises. I hope to post again on the day our Lord is crucified (Good Friday) hopefully to rise on easter sunday (our Lord i mean o! cool). I ll miss u guys but i know u guys would be great at least for mi- one luv! kiss [/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 5:04pm On Mar 17, 2008
AlfaPrime:

Here's wishing all of us a splendid week ahead. Anyone with authentic info about the actual public holidays coming up this week?

Heard public holidays are Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Monday.

@ everyone else

I had to fish this thread from the next page, Come on guys, we are just getting warmed up!!! cheesy

www.folayemianifowoshe.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 9:02pm On Mar 17, 2008
Wednesday na HOLS?

I doubt it oo,anyway i look 2ward to it,though i may be working funny enough! cheesy

Enjoy d week folks

KEN
i go sure miss u,read wella oo,God go help arsenal jus watch out 4 our next matches,You ll be shocked by the +ve results in the hard matches coming quick n fast
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 10:34am On Mar 18, 2008
tommyex:

Wednesday na HOLS?

I doubt it oo,anyway i look 2ward to it,though i may be working funny enough! cheesy

Enjoy d week folks

Dem don add Thursday join for us, grin, so, jolly don start after today, grin
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 11:39am On Mar 18, 2008
cheesy Yes-o! Na authentic info say tomorrow na public holiday. Na real jolly, my broda. Na real jolly, no be small. wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:30pm On Mar 18, 2008
I just observed. It appears that little groups are forming on this forum. There's the Shell Generation and the Intercontinental Batch.

Nlng brothers, remember the name of this thread. This is your blog. Ultimately, if this thread is to survive, it will be kept alive by those who are really Nlng employees, those who started with us, and went on till the end even after the rest of us had been dropped. I post because I am somewhat attached to this thread. But there may come a time when I will be so caught up in a different sort of life that the motivation to post on this thread will die. It may be then that the people to pick it up would be our Nlng brothers. They could use it as a forum to lounge and catch up on things like the proper Gas Boys they are, discussing things only gas boys can, with all the privileges only gas boys are entitled to, of all the employed. It may be that Wandel would want to shout out to Kenosky, a Lagos-to-Bonny hook-up; it may be that Skeelo would want to hail Annify; it may be that Pak would want to gossip with Pgm; or Kenosym discuss an issue with some other Nlng hopeful.

And there will come a time too when Nlng will be doing another general recruitment like ours (maybe in three years from now), and another generation of Hopefuls would like to question the Godfathers. They would then post on this thread, baring their fears, their hopes and dreams; it would at that time behove on our Nlng brothers to encourage them, and show them how their own struggles went. They may also want to share their experiences.

All I'm saying is this: NLNG BROTHERS, NLNGLIZE THIS THREAD A BIT. Y'all heard?

Thank you.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2008
Hail NLNG, the Greatest Gas Company in Africa!

All Hail!

wink

Thought I should give you a hand. wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2008
Happy holidays, friends.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2008
@all how una dey?

@Kuwena, AlfaPrime
As per our leaders, without wanting to sound harsh or unnecessarily judgmental, I think they have failed us, they have put the country in a quagmire and I dont think they have any idea of how we can get out of it.

Actually my major fear now is for the coming generation - 'Our generation'. Will we disappoint God and the people that will be looking up to us, those coming after us?

I can not forget a phrase I once heard from AlfaPrime - 'You will become, what you are becoming NOW ! '.

If this is true, then there are some things I have seen and am seeing that gives great cause for concern.

Anyway, I must not fail to acknowledge the positives I've seen along the way in some people I've met. Even God admitted that if he had found ten righteous men, He would not have destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and then Jesus turned the entire world around starting with just 12 men, so there is definitely hope that those of us with vision for our country and for our lives can turn the fortunes of our nation around, if and when given the opportunity, if we sit up.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 1:43pm On Mar 18, 2008
Has anyone been following the public hearing on the power sector, its really been a revelation, I had the opportunity of listening to Gov. Imoke on monday and though I dont know much about the probity of his tenure as a helmsman in the power sector but I was really impressed by his speech and responses, the guy almost sounded like a genius.

Wonder why the members of the probe committee were beefing him so much, the guy was giving a standing ovation after his speech yet the committee members seemed as if all they wanted to do was to tear him apart, poking holes at places where I felt were unnecessary. Anyway let us see how the whole thing will end.

As for the common man, his own view is 'After all the talk, talk, let NEPA (Sorry PHCN) sha bring light'.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 1:54pm On Mar 18, 2008
A joke came to my mind recently about atheism and decided to share it with you guys

A primary school teacher who was an atheist, was trying to convince his pupil that God didn't exist.

Teacher: "If you know you have touched God before, raise up your hands"

nobody did.

Teacher: "Has anyone seen God before?"

still, all hands were down

Teacher: "Okay, have you met anybody that has seen God before?"

all hands were still down

The teacher finally said: "So you see, simply put, there is no God."

The whole class was quiet with everybody looking confused until . . .

the smallest boy in the class stood up timidly and asked

"Has anyone seen our teacher's brains before?"

there was no response.

"Has anyone met anybody who has seen our teacher's brain before?"

again nobody responded.

the boy finally concluded: "So you see, simply put, our teacher has NO BRAINS ! "
Re: Which Way Nlng? by pak: 1:55pm On Mar 18, 2008
To all the gunners my advice for your young boys is that - ' if at first you dont succeed,  better try next season '
Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 1:57pm On Mar 18, 2008
pak:

As for the common man, his own view is 'After all the talk, talk, let NEPA (Sorry PHCN) sha bring light'.

Na so, my brother, cool
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 10:10pm On Mar 18, 2008
PAK
na you be Poster of d day oo.

loved d joke,loved the comment on our nation

But as per arsenal,jus relax,the season may take a new turn in the next 1month,and dont be surprised to see Liverpool 2nd or 3rd briefly.

Enjoy d hols,Annify i dey beef u as per 2much holidays oo.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2008
pak:

@all how una dey?

@Kuwena, AlfaPrime
As per our leaders, without wanting to sound harsh or unnecessarily judgmental, I think they have failed us, they have put the country in a quagmire and I don't think they have any idea of how we can get out of it.

Actually my major fear now is for the coming generation - 'Our generation'. Will we disappoint God and the people that will be looking up to us, those coming after us?

I can not forget a phrase I once heard from AlfaPrime - 'You will become, what you are becoming NOW ! '.

If this is true, then there are some things I have seen and am seeing that gives great cause for concern.

Anyway, I must not fail to acknowledge the positives I've seen along the way in some people I've met. Even God admitted that if he had found ten righteous men, He would not have destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah and then Jesus turned the entire world around starting with just 12 men, so there is definitely hope that those of us with vision for our country and for our lives can turn the fortunes of our nation around, if and when given the opportunity, if we sit up.

@Pak
Touche, as I would always say to a post that hits the nail on the head. The matter can't be overflogged. Collosal failure of leadership at all levels. I had actually highlighted on this earlier some pages back, but comments on it were not sustained; as I ponder this, perhaps that's why in recent posts, I found myself referring to "them" as "rulers". Well, their generation is fast passing. We're the generation next, and the onus rests on us to chart a new course.

Again, concerning the ongoing power sector probe, I feel it has the potentials of finally kick-starting the long overdue comprehensive prosecution of key players in the sleaze that so characterised the past administration at the federal level. Sorry to say, but much as I appreciate the current president's stance on rule of law, I realised that he can never fully implement that policy as long as he's willing to cover up the grand set up that brought him into power.
who knows? since the executive arm has repeatedly said that they will NOT probe the past administration, perhaps justice and reprieve would come through the legislature, especially now that there is transparent and focused leadership in the lower House.

@Kenosky et al
Wishing U all the best in your team-building sessions. While am not exactly crazy about holidays (afterall, a week can never be more than five working days and a weekend), I really appreciate them when they come. Especially when one has been working hard almost round the clock! Enjoy the Easter season and let's not forget that the Resurrection is the hallmark of the Christian faith.

@Kuwena
Do make out time to retrieve and revive your Christian faith. Regardless of the past, could you pls for your own sake, return to a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ? Wish U the very best!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 1:32pm On Mar 19, 2008
Happy holidays, house! Here's wishing you all Happy Easter and Maulud breaks.

Pak, I thank you. Your posts were very perceptive. Recall there was a time I said I was visiting Ibadan and heard a white man say there is no great man in Africa? Well, leaders and what we have here are like great men and big men. The two look alike but of course are very different.

AlfaPrime, my dear dear brother! You are making me proud of your mind. I will not be a Christian anylonger; let's not push it, okay? O dear. But thank you. Thank you for caring. I love you, brother. Thank you.

The holidays are so very lovely. They started today. And you know what I did today? I deliberately slept in till it was past nine o' clock this morning; you know, no alarm clock this time around. Then I got up and went to make myself some rice. My stew was still remaining. And there was one last chunk of fish in it. Good. So all I did was to boil the rice well and eat it with the stew.

While the rice was cooking, I slotted a film into the VCD player, and I began watching. In between taking mouthfuls of rice and stew I watched the film, and oh! It was so good. Then I did a little house cleaning, took my bath and came here to the cyber cafe to browse. I know I should have a laptop of my own logged onto the internet; but of course I'm saving every dime I have for you know what.

Most of us on this thread are trying our best to live the Nigerian dream, you know; practically all of us are millionaires, working in the bluechip companies, earning plus or minus 3 million per annum; and the vast majority are out there struggling.

Which brings me back to what you were saying, Pak; how we are the ones to wake Africa up, because as it very well seems, we have been wasting time sleeping. And it is oh so very sad, isn't it? But we need mentors, those with plans. I for one think that one salvation for this country will be at least 100 new companies the size of Intercontinental Bank. That would solve a lot of our unemployment problems. But who will build these companies for us? Who?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2008
Before I log out, I just want to say a big thank you to all of you who have made this thread what it is today, the fastest growing on the Job forum, if not on all Nairaland. We'll meet at the top, as they say. Thanks once again, and bye.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by fredie(f): 5:24pm On Mar 19, 2008
KWENA, KWENA,

IM GLAD THIS THREAD IS STILL ON, HAD TO DROP OUT WHEN I WAS DROPPED BY LNG. I SAY THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING. ANYWAY, TRY MAKE YOU HOOK ON TO INTERNET ATLEAST CHANGE GO STILL REMAIN FOR , YOU KNOW WHAT, I WISH EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD AND FORUM A MOST CHRIST-FILLLED EASTER CELEBRATION. CHEERS!
[img][/img]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 10:46pm On Mar 19, 2008
kuwena:

Which brings me back to what you were saying, Pak; how we are the ones to wake Africa up, because as it very well seems, we have been wasting time sleeping. And it is oh so very sad, isn't it? But we need mentors, those with plans. I for one think that one salvation for this country will be at least 100 new companies the size of Intercontinental Bank. That would solve a lot of our unemployment problems. But who will build these companies for us? Who?

@Kuwena

Point!
Massive job creation is indeed an acute neccessity in Nigeria and could well provide a panacea for the Niger Delta crisis; however, talking about floating 100 new blue chip companies sounds instantly like a white elephant project, which in this same Nigeria immediately serves as a pipe route for siphoning of public funds, (a la Power supply contracts probe). Always more practical to be pragmatic. Let's start with one more job around the corner for one more man next door to be able to provide food for one more family down the street. I took a closer look at the recently launched BRT scheme in Lagos and realised that it actually has the potential of creating multiple jobs ( for conductors, drivers, ticket sales men, maintenance contractors, security men, etc) and I only pray that the scheme survives and succeeds. The big indigenous companies will come as more and more Nigerians are empowered financially, and enlightened on the basics of personal prudence and financial management. Even the Dangotes, Adenugas, Abiolas and Kalus all started small, some with trading in fish and palm oil. After reading the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" my eyes were opened to realise that practically anyone on any amount as salary could (with proper management, personal and fiscal discipline) grow to become an independent employer of labour. It may only take much more time for some than others. For instance, I know of a simple, average salary- earning Nigerian who was able to train all his children in Havard! Simply because he applied the knowledge of investing in stocks. Each time a child of his had a naming ceremoney, he would gather the money received as gifts from well-wishers and buy shares in the child's name. The value of those stocks grew with the children themselves, and became their passport to better opportunities. Some others who may have received more may have simply eaten some extra pepper soup for a few more days and forgotten about it, only to complain about the government years later when their children cannot get good basic education. In fact, many people there are right now, who have "good, millionaire" jobs, but would look back in some years to come without being able to identify exactly what they did with their wealth while they had it.

Kuwena, we all know for sure that having the Government actively involved in business is well out of the question, as the popular cliche has it, "government has no business being in business"; hence all the government can contribute to our 100 new companies is the formulation and sustenance of favourable policies and stable polity. The final onus lies on you and I in the private sector to do our part. It always pays to start small, that way, more practical feasibility studies are done, flexibity in portfolio change is guaranteed, and of course, the less risk involved assures that u get more interested partners. Did You really wonder why it was impossible to get your colleagues at the Training school to buy into that brilliant idea of yours on how to raise business capital from their hard earned salaries?

Here's wishing everyone on and off the thread splendid Easter hols.

@Pak
Remember to pick the books tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you again soonest.

kuwena:

AlfaPrime, my dear dear brother! You are making me proud of your mind. I will not be a Christian anylonger; let's not push it, okay? O dear. But thank you. Thank you for caring. I love you, brother. Thank you.

Thanks, Brother. We haven't heard the last of this, anyway!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 10:22am On Mar 20, 2008
Point!
Massive job creation is indeed an acute neccessity in Nigeria and could well provide a panacea for the Niger Delta crisis; however, talking about floating 100 new blue chip companies sounds instantly like a white elephant project, which in this same Nigeria immediately serves as a pipe route for siphoning of public funds, (a la Power supply contracts probe). Always more practical to be pragmatic. Let's start with one more job around the corner for one more man next door to be able to provide food for one more family down the street. I took a closer look at the recently launched BRT scheme in Lagos and realised that it actually has the potential of creating multiple jobs ( for conductors, drivers, ticket sales men, maintenance contractors, security men, etc) and I only pray that the scheme survives and succeeds. The big indigenous companies will come as more and more Nigerians are empowered financially, and enlightened on the basics of personal prudence and financial management. Even the Dangotes, Adenugas, Abiolas and Kalus all started small, some with trading in fish and palm oil. After reading the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" my eyes were opened to realise that practically anyone on any amount as salary could (with proper management, personal and fiscal discipline) grow to become an independent employer of labour. It may only take much more time for some than others. For instance, I know of a simple, average salary- earning Nigerian who was able to train all his children in Havard! Simply because he applied the knowledge of investing in stocks. Each time a child of his had a naming ceremoney, he would gather the money received as gifts from well-wishers and buy shares in the child's name. The value of those stocks grew with the children themselves, and became their passport to better opportunities. Some others who may have received more may have simply eaten some extra pepper soup for a few more days and forgotten about it, only to complain about the government years later when their children cannot get good basic education. In fact, many people there are right now, who have "good, millionaire" jobs, but would look back in some years to come without being able to identify exactly what they did with their wealth while they had it.

Kuwena, we all know for sure that having the Government actively involved in business is well out of the question, as the popular cliche has it, "government has no business being in business"; hence all the government can contribute to our 100 new companies is the formulation and sustenance of favourable policies and stable polity. The final onus lies on you and I in the private sector to do our part. It always pays to start small, that way, more practical feasibility studies are done, flexibity in portfolio change is guaranteed, and of course, the less risk involved assures that u get more interested partners. Did You really wonder why it was impossible to get your colleagues at the Training school to buy into that brilliant idea of yours on how to raise business capital from their hard earned salaries?

You are very intelligent, dearest AlfaPrime; very intelligent indeed, my dear.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 10:38am On Mar 20, 2008
Let's wrestle our minds a bit, then.

You mentioned having read The Richest Man in Babylon, by George Clason. Very swell book, to be sure. I can summarize its principles of wealth creation in 5 points:

1. Find a means of making money, usually a job.

2. Set aside a significant portion of the money you make on a regular basis.

3. Invest the money you have set aside, so that it can yield extra income.

4. Re-invest that extra income, so it can yield much more income.

5. Expand your money-making portfolio, and repeat the cycle of investment.

Question is: How many Nigerians actually do this? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

Your ideas on the rapid expansion of productivity in Nigeria via the establishment of new companies seem slow. If we are to make the creation of companies dependent on the financial advancement of Nigerians, we might have to wait very long. It need not take a century for Nigeria to turn around her economic situation. How long do you think it took for African Americans to reach their current economic status? Methinks we have to shake things up.

Question is: How many Nigerians are willing to be innovative? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

I think we are wasting time. I don't know how true this is, but I heard that Malaysia took her first palm fruit sample from Nigeria, and now they have beat Nigeria by far in the production and export of palm produce. This is unbecoming. How can we live with this, and many other anomalies about our system? We do have work to do, other than witches and miracle-working pastors making all the money. It reminds me of Richard Wright's story of a pastor that came to visit his home and wanted to eat all their chicken, and no one could caution him because he was a pastor. I think we need more science and less religion, or at least as much science as religion.

Question is: How many Nigerians are sincere? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

Let's get back to work.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:37pm On Mar 20, 2008
@all how una dey?

@Kuwena, AlfaPrime
As per our leaders, without wanting to sound harsh or unnecessarily judgmental, I think they have failed us, they have put the country in a quagmire and I don't think they have any idea of how we can get out of it.

Interesting.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2008
« #47 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lovelies ,
My uncle called me today to say that his friend that works there says they will start calling by next week, that is after the elections,
my heart beats, ive come to realize that the mercies of God are for us all but his Special mercies are for a particular people thats the reason he says it is not of him that wills nor of him that runs but of God that showeth mercy, i believe that if that mercy is upon you, then everything will workout for good even if is not LNG it might be something better, but i want LNG ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
one love

that was @sweetjoy, a long time ago. just reminiscing.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
i came in to the jobs thread this morning and guess what? i had to go to page 3 to see our dearly beloved thread 'which way Nlng?' hmmmm Whenever i look back at the trail this thread had blazed in the past, i find myself asking 'where are the trail blazers? - the great men and ladies who held forth when the wait for Nlng was on; great people who kept one another going during the waiting period? where, o where are the tolagbajus, adrianics, pgms, ehidos, extypes, jills, runsaways (who finally made good his words and ran away) etc. The list is inexhaustive but when i look back at the great things u peeps did on this thread, i doff my hat for u all. I av to run along but i say to u all, it wuz good to have run alongside u all!!!

And Kenosky, it seems you have gone and joined them.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2008
May God help us all.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by yatiki: 9:44pm On Mar 20, 2008
l
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 10:54pm On Mar 20, 2008
kuwena:

Let's wrestle our minds a bit, then.

You mentioned having read The Richest Man in Babylon, by George Clason. Very swell book, to be sure. I can summarize its principles of wealth creation in 5 points:

1. Find a means of making money, usually a job.

2. Set aside a significant portion of the money you make on a regular basis.

3. Invest the money you have set aside, so that it can yield extra income.

4. Re-invest that extra income, so it can yield much more income.

5. Expand your money-making portfolio, and repeat the cycle of investment.

Question is: How many Nigerians actually do this? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

Your ideas on the rapid expansion of productivity in Nigeria via the establishment of new companies seem slow. If we are to make the creation of companies dependent on the financial advancement of Nigerians, we might have to wait very long. It need not take a century for Nigeria to turn around her economic situation. How long do you think it took for African Americans to reach their current economic status? Methinks we have to shake things up.

Question is: How many Nigerians are willing to be innovative? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

I think we are wasting time. I don't know how true this is, but I heard that Malaysia took her first palm fruit sample from Nigeria, and now they have beat Nigeria by far in the production and export of palm produce. This is unbecoming. How can we live with this, and many other anomalies about our system? We do have work to do, other than witches and miracle-working pastors making all the money. It reminds me of Richard Wright's story of a pastor that came to visit his home and wanted to eat all their chicken, and no one could caution him because he was a pastor. I think we need more science and less religion, or at least as much science as religion.

Question is: How many Nigerians are sincere? Up to 10% of us? Anyway.

Let's get back to work.

@Kuwena
It's not about my idea of gradually floating the 100 companies being slow. It's about effectively marrying idealism with realities on ground. To expect 100 blue chip companies to be floated over night in Nigeria would definitely be asking for the moon. I doubt if such a miracle would even happen because it tends to defy the Biblical rule about starting little and growing steadily to become great:"He that is faithful over little is faithful (and will be set) over much"
I do not doubt for one second that we need that number of companies as soon as possible, but to say that getting them as fast of possible is the only solution we need is to say that our problem is without solution, cos they will surely not come that quick. Exactly how many Nigerians have the capital to float even one of such companies right now? Or are we going to depend on "foreign investment" again for that one? Which leads us where? That's why I said we can only get there gradually, as Nigerians are more financially empowered. The NSE and SEC are already doing a great job in this area. U know, the only giant companies of today that were formed overnight are results of mergers of smaller but still substantially big companies; the rest of them grew over time, including Microsoft corporation.Then we have favourable govt policies also. Classical example I would give is that of the historic CBN's recapitalization exercise for banks, insurance companies, etc. See how many thousands of jobs that policy alone has created? Our big banks now advertise on CNN and are talking of taking over Africa and the world. Really, we're not yet there, but we're getting somewhere.

I'm sorry to say this, but another reason we won't get any 100 mega companies overnite is cos of our own endemic challenge: Corruption. But thankfully too, that is being villified overwhelmingly now. All hands on deck. You're right it wouldn't take a century; but it wouldn't take six months either, or a year. Let's get the power sector working first, then we can take count again of how many Nigerians are complaining of unemployment.

Due to the pressure of work on me right now, which will last virtually all through the Easter break, I may not take u up on the "witches and pastors making all the money" for now, Kuwena; but be sure I will get back to you on that.

Great Easter break, chaps! Have a splendid time and return to work refreshed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (152) (Reply)

The Nigerian Navy Screening List (NNBTS Training) Batch-23/24 / Shell Nigeria (SPDC) Graduate Trainee Recruitment, 2019 / Your NNPC Interview Experience (EH & GT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.