Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,724 members, 7,885,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 05:30 PM

Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And (2078 Views)

Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy / If Dagrin No Go, Olamide No Go Come – Whats Your Take On This? / "Dagrin's Documentary" Remembering His Life And Times. . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by opebanwo: 9:12pm On Jul 21, 2010
Nationwide Search For Who Will Play Dagrin In ‘Ghetto Dreams’
….Wande Coal, Dj Zeez, Trybson, Konga Lead 22 Other Contenders In The Role For The Big Role

As the countdown begins for the shooting of the much talked about movie on the life and times of the popular late rapper, Dagrin, titled Ghetto Dreams, the award winning Director of the movie, Lancelot Imasuen and the Producer, Ope Banwo of Stingomania Entertainment have started a nationwide manhunt for the actor that will play the all important role of Dagrin himself in the movie.

According to Mr. Lancelot Imasuen, ‘we need to search carefully and diligently for the actor that is not only a Dagrin look-alike but one that can also act very well and mimic the mannerisms of the late rapper. Since the search began about 2 weeks ago, we have had lots of names suggested and nominated by industry practitioners for consideration of the role of Dagrin’.

Some of the names that are being pushed by different interest groups, producers and artiste managers to play Dagrin in ‘GHETTO DREAMS’  include many unknown names as well as some big names in the entertainment industry. Some of the names presently being considered include Wande Coal, DJ Zeez, Konga, Trybson Dudukoko, Whichlevelz, and Sunkanmi Omobolanle. As of last count, there were about 22 names under consideration.

According to Lancelot Imasuen, the Director of the Movie, ‘we will look at these people thoroughly and eventually invite most of the interested people for an auditioning that will allow us to pick the best person’. Lancelot is excited at the opportunity to direct a movie that will immortalize the dreams, struggles and inspirations of one of the young upcoming stars who tragically died just as his sun was rising.

On a parallel level, while the search for Dagrin hots up, there is also a careful search for 3 critical people in the movie including the person that will play Dagrin’s father, Mother, sister and a love angle to the story. As for who will play Dagrin’s mother, the leading contenders appear to be Bukky Wright while Funke ‘jenifa’ Akindele and Omoni Oboli appear to be odds on favorite to be the sister or the love angle based on their relationship to Stingomania Entertainment. Lancelot Imasuen however insists that that is not necessarily the case since he intends to pick the best people for the different parts subject to their availability and budget.

The Ghetto Dreams project is the initiative of Ope Banwo of Stingomania Entertainment and it involves 3 different stages. The Ghetto Dreams movie part will give some of the proceeds from the movie to the Dagrin family while part of it will go towards a foundation to help young and upcoming artistes to get off the ground and remain grounded as their careers take off. A Ghetto Dreams Award is also being organized for up and coming musicians as part of the annual ritual to memorialize what Dagrin represented for young, struggling and aspiring musicians.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by alisigwe(m): 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2010
Great!i believe sossick shld play d role.he knws in and out of dagrin and knda looked like grin.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by 04kaa: 10:17pm On Jul 21, 2010
lyrical shocka, seriki , slim busta, base one, olamide coded tunes are yoruba rappers
that can play the role well
i belief the person should be able to rap in yoruba well. this is something to look forward to
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tekajibril(m): 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2010
Isnt it too early to create a movie abt Dagrin?
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by alisigwe(m): 8:30am On Jul 22, 2010
How?i think nw's d appropraite time,kuz he's still fresh in our memories and dis film shld kick off his foundation.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by alisigwe(m): 8:33am On Jul 22, 2010
How?i think nw's d appropraite time,kuz he's still fresh in our memories and dis film shld kick off his foundation.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tekajibril(m): 9:14am On Jul 22, 2010
I think sumbody just want to capitalize from his death by doing this, how many Legends have a biopic done about them immediately after they die?, look at Notorious BIG, Ray Charles, They haven't even done a Tupac movie yet. Even Fela. and they want to make a movie abt Dagrin who was'nt a legend at his death. i smell a paper trail joor!!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by opebanwo: 11:01am On Jul 22, 2010
I think people really are interested in this. Also some of the proceeds is to be given to his family and to a foundation to help young artistes. I think that is better than the way alaba people have been releasing his songs without paying any rotyalty to anybody or his parents. Bottom line is that this movie will be done by somebody at some point. It may as well be done in a way that will be beneficial not only to his parents but also some struggling artistes.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 12:18pm On Jul 22, 2010
@Opebanwo,

I hope you guys dont fail with this initiative. Cos you are not speaking to the right people as regards Dagrin. Good his parents are one of the best people to speak to, but there are a few guys that knew almost better than his parents. Reason: Dagrin left home at a very young age and did not get in touch with his parents until a few months before his death.

He only speaks to him mum and does not to his dad. He relied on friends a lot such as Sossick, Yardman,Olamus, Gini and his Edlyne manager. They know alot about his musical career which should be the focus for the movie. There is a lot to focus on around his musical career, it would be a real failure of a movie if you guys should focus on his parental unbringing as there isnt much to raise from there.

If this is to really immotalise Dagrin the movie has to be of international standard not just a local Nollywood film. If people watch it and dont have an imprint of it in their minds then it will immotalise nothing, that is one of the reasons why i think it is too early to come out with a movie as regards dagrin. It is barely 3 months he died.

I am not sure you have spoken to the real stakeholders in his musical careers (his mum and dad played a part but i doubt they have enough info on his musical career to make a movie).
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2010
Samuel1580:

@Opebanwo,

I hope you guys dont fail with this initiative. Cos you are not speaking to the right people as regards Dagrin. Good his parents are one of the best people to speak to, but there are a few guys that knew almost better than his parents. Reason: Dagrin left home at a very young age and did not get in touch with his parents until a few months before his death.

He only speaks to him mum and does not to his dad. I relied on friends a lot such as Sossick, Yardman,Olamus, Gini and his Edlyne manager. They know alot about his musical career which should be the focus for the movie. There is a lot to focus on around his musical career, it would be a real failure of a movie if you guys should focus on his parental unbringing as there isnt much to raise from there.

If this is to really immotalise Dagrin the movie has to be of international standard not just a local Nollywood film. If people watch it and dont have an imprint of it in their minds then it will immotalise nothing, that is one of the reasons why i think it is too early to come out with a movie as regards dagrin. It is barely 3 months he died.

I am not sure you have spoken to the real stakeholders in his musical careers (his mum and dad played a part but i doubt they have enough info on his musical career to make a movie).
Well said. No need to rush. Making a movie now is too early
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 12:44pm On Jul 22, 2010
Lets be all honest,

The whole thing is about making money for all this guys coming out to pretend as if they cared about the guy and family. Hiding under the pretence, "some of the proceeds will go to his family and bring up upcoming artist". Dagrin is already an inspiration to upcoming artist. i cannot count the number of upcoming artist that wants to rap like he did now and some trying to calve a nich for themselve like he did.

Lets come off it, before he died, a few people believed in him. He went to alot of people for help but he was turned down, now they all acting up like they know him. Alot of this guys dont even know Dagrin. I am suprised that a lot of things are happening on his name and they have failed to recognise one of the architect of his career, SOSSICK. The guy believed in green when nobody did. He locked himself and grin up in a studio for a year to come up with the CEO album. But the guy gets no respect and gets no invitation to grins dedicated outings instead the so called "doing it for his family" are been invited.

After he died, a record label he signed with 6 years ago came out to release his recorded tracks. How could that be down, why did he not release it when he was alive. Is he saying the contract is still valid after 6 years when he has actually signed with 2 different record labels and a management outfit? When did he tell the records labels to buy him out if he truely had a contract? He also used the famous excuse "some of the royalties will go to his family".

Pon Pon Pon had been out for about 1 year before it got famous that to the video Edlyne records shot for him that made the song cement its place in charts.

I dont have any problem with Mr Ope Banwo, infact i commend his efforts. The family would only make a few change from this, there are other things that can be dont to imortalize the boy that would fetch the family life long money.

After
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tekajibril(m): 12:47pm On Jul 22, 2010
Exactly my point, creating an NGO in his name is good but a movie? na man, his story shuld become folklore b4 being made into a movie, smell me?
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2010
wetin all this ones dey talk? make the movie abeg!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 1:11pm On Jul 22, 2010
tosinaded@:

wetin all this ones dey talk? make the movie abeg!
Even if ends up being trashy? I see
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 1:46pm On Jul 22, 2010
Genuflect:

Even if ends up being trashy? I see

show me where i stated that
and also tell me why u think doing it now will make it trashy!
and y u think doing it later wont make it trashy!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 1:53pm On Jul 22, 2010
Doing it now is too soon. The producers have to collect enough stories, do a thorough hunt, raise awareness etc. Dem never MJ film now. Doing it later will give enough time to do a tight movie. You wan do the film for the same year wey im die? Where dem dey rush go?
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 2:17pm On Jul 22, 2010
Genuflect:

Doing it now is too soon. The producers have to collect enough stories, do a thorough hunt, raise awareness etc. Dem never MJ film now. Doing it later will give enough time to do a tight movie. You wan do the film for the same year wey im die? Where dem dey rush go?

all those are personal opinions, not FACTS
they hold no grounds. . .
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 2:24pm On Jul 22, 2010
@tosinaded@

Anything i write on grin is nothing but FACTS. They are yet to speak to those that matter and by the look of things they would start shooting soon.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 2:44pm On Jul 22, 2010
Samuel1580:

@tosinaded@

Anything i write on grin is nothing but FACTS. They are yet to speak to those that matter and by the look of things they would start shooting soon.

ok now that uve convincd me on that. . . . its either way!
those that matter as in? his parents? his record label? his close pals?

pls explain!

but it still doesnt convince me on Bleeg's opinion sha!
the movie can be done anytime, so far all the necessary stuvs are done!
it can be now or nxt ten years! the koko is to do the best!
which can be done anytime!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 3:13pm On Jul 22, 2010
No be my opinion. It is the best thing to do for the movie project. There are a lot of people that needs to be spoken to. I don't even support using stars to act the role. DJ Zeez is tall and he's in the audition for the role? The producers don't even sound like they want to settle down and make a good movie. I hope Money is not the main motive sha
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2010
ok now that uve convincd me on that. . . . its either way!
those that matter as in? his parents? his record label? his close pals?

pls explain!

They have spoken to his parents, i am yet to get a confirmation from any of his close pal. And a film that would reflect a life should have a comprehensive research done, thus the film should not be done in a hurry.

I will give you an example: A a point in grins life, he was called to come for a collabo with an unknown artist, he went with a friend (a known artist which everyone knows). On getting there they didnt know it was a set up and a gun was pulled on them. Dont you think that was part of his struggle? Wont that little piece make a good part of the film? If they dont speak to that friend how would his fans get to know exactly what he went through on his rise to fame.

There is no way his management outfit should not be involved as they were very instrumental/pivotal towards his rise to stardom. Or wont they show how he died? He was with his Manager that very day and they had some interesting conversation that his fans would love to know about. He had appointments with the British and American embassies. He went to shows, did some things back stage, in hotels and the only people that can fill them in on this is those close to him at those points.

I have said enough. I wish Mr Ope Banwo all the best. He has film experience dealing with the likes of Funke Akindele, but he should also bear in mind that this is a Hip Hop film as Grin lived his life "Hip Hoppy".
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2010
i see all this balls down to u guys being scared it mmight flop cos its early!
take a chill pill. . . . the guys that said they want to shoot a film are professionals!
they know there work
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2010
tosinaded@:

i see all this balls down to u guys being scared it mmight flop cos its early!
take a chill pill. . . . the guys that said they want to shoot a film are professionals!
they know there work
Not cos it might flop. But the struggle of Da Grin might be dumbed down. There needs to be a comprehensive tale about his rise to stardom. Da Grin is one of the realest artists in Naija. He didn't just talk about his struggle, he actually struggled. That has to be portrayed well
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 3:26pm On Jul 22, 2010
Genuflect:

Not cos it might flop. But the struggle of Da Grin might be dumbed down. There needs to be a comprehensive tale about his rise to stardom. Da Grin is one of the realest artists in Naija. He didn't just talk about his struggle, he actually struggled. That has to be portrayed well

it all balls down to u still thinking it wont be done well!
like i said they know DaGrin. . .we all know him!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Genuflect(m): 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2010
tosinaded@:

Thank God Samuel is on this thread. There are some people that would have witnessed some things and it would be important to include what they witnessed too. Even Fela film sef, dem still dey gba research. And imagine how long ago he has died. Extensive research has to be done and that doesn't take a couple of months
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 3:32pm On Jul 22, 2010

What you know about dagrin is different from what SATTY records know about him, and what satty records know is different from what Edlyne knows. What edlyne knows is different from what SOSSICK,DJ ZEEZ, OLAMUS, YARDMAN, TUSTEP etc knows.

If you get my drift!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2010
common mehn its a MOVIE not a SERIES!
u want very1 that knew DaGrin to have an Input in the film?
ahn ahn kilode?
the film is meant to be a summary of his life abeg!

no be series!
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2010
Lol @tosin,

Thank God you said it is a summary. That means they should take in enough details and then pick the most relevant ones to polish and put finishing touch to it.

With that there is a little percentage of missing the vital details. (Aint that right?)
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2010
Samuel1580:

Lol @tosin,

Thank God you said it is a summary. That means they should take in enough details and then pick the most relevant ones to polish and put finishing touch to it.

With that there is a little percentage of missing the vital details. (Aint that right?)

ure brilliant lol grin
u used my post against me nicely. . . .
i really didnt want to use that word summary in the first place

lets say instances of his life! and not summary!

u dnt need every1 to tell there stories. . . . . . . . . . .
his songs alone can give u more than enuf stories to shoot a film
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Samuel1580: 4:00pm On Jul 22, 2010
Lol,

Dont worry Tosin. If they do it and dont get it right i can bet you would be the first to complain on NL cos i know you have an eye for good things.

BUT then i will refer you back to the INSTANCES of this tread.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by Sauron1: 4:03pm On Jul 22, 2010
Samuel1580:

Lets be all honest,

The whole thing is about making money for all this guys coming out to pretend as if they cared about the guy and family. Hiding under the pretence, "some of the proceeds will go to his family and bring up upcoming artist". Dagrin is already an inspiration to upcoming artist. i cannot count the number of upcoming artist that wants to rap like he did now and some trying to calve a nich for themselve like he did.

Lets come off it, before he died, a few people believed in him. He went to alot of people for help but he was turned down, now they all acting up like they know him. Alot of this guys dont even know Dagrin. I am suprised that a lot of things are happening on his name and they have failed to recognise one of the architect of his career, SOSSICK. The guy believed in green when nobody did. He locked himself and grin up in a studio for a year to come up with the CEO album. But the guy gets no respect and gets no invitation to grins dedicated outings instead the so called "doing it for his family" are been invited.

After he died, a record label he signed with 6 years ago came out to release his recorded tracks. How could that be down, why did he not release it when he was alive. Is he saying the contract is still valid after 6 years when he has actually signed with 2 different record labels and a management outfit? When did he tell the records labels to buy him out if he truely had a contract? He also used the famous excuse "some of the royalties will go to his family".

Pon Pon Pon had been out for about 1 year before it got famous that to the video Edlyne records shot for him that made the song cement its place in charts.

I dont have any problem with Mr Ope Banwo, infact i commend his efforts. The family would only make a few change from this, there are other things that can be dont to imortalize the boy that would fetch the family life long money.

After

Well said. . . . . .

They need to get everyone involved.
His primary school teachers and class mates, relatives, friends, enemies, neighbours, colleagues and his fellow hustlers.
I think doing a movie about him now is too premature and knowing NOLLYWOOD, they will end up making a crap movie because they want to maximize profits.

I don't rate Lancelot Imasuen. . . . . .Folks like Tunde Kelani or Tade Ogidan should be managing this kinda project.
Re: Search Begins For Who Will Play Dagrin In 'ghetto Dreams' Movie On His Life And by tosinaded(m): 4:07pm On Jul 22, 2010
~Sauron~:

Well said. . . . . .

They need to get everyone involved.
His primary school teachers and class mates, relatives, friends, enemies, neighbours, colleagues and his fellow hustlers.

to make a film shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dagrin – If I Die (remix) Feat. Styles P, Show Dem Camp (sdc) & Nasty J / Plz, I Need To Download 1,2,3 Hiphop / DOWNLOAD Terryg - Run Mad + Pull Off. & Wizkid-sweet Potato

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.