Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,893 members, 7,969,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 01:04 PM

What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman (891 Views)

Does Popularity And Fame Make A Man Or Woman More Desirable / In Every Relationship, Who Should Call Most? Man Or Woman? / Man or Woman, Who is More Unfaithful in a Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by vivaladiva(f): 5:02pm On Jul 22, 2010
i could have posted this topic in the cultural section---but i felt i wld get more of a response here

i get really annoyed when nigerian people accuse me of being too western---am not annoyed at the remark itself---it is the air of authority that these people have when they accuse me of wanting to be white

i think culture is a personal thing
i bliv culture shapes people and people also shape culture
therfore culture is not static and any attempt to repress its evolution would inevitable inhibit progress both physically and mentally

my question is, wat makes u a nigerian and what gives u the right to say somebody else is less or more nigerian

i tell u who the real nigerians r---they r those people dat where discoved in some remote part of nigeria--koma hills or soming
these people lived as our ancestors live completely removed from any western influence
they wore no clothes or shoes or sunglasses lol, didnt go to school, where subsistence farmers and hunters, had no access to western medicine, had no access to western technology, did not practice western religions, traded by batter, had no formal record of their history etc
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by vivaladiva(f): 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2010
so wat is it about my westernization that makes nigerians uncomfortable

is it because i know men n women r equal and i cant tolorate sexism
is it because i dont believe in religion
is it because i feel respect is earned and not inherited either by virtue of ur age, wealth or otherwise
is it because i am against hitting children in the name of dicipline either at home or in school
is it because i dont feel comfortable with kneeling down to greet anybody
is it because am female but i smoke
is it because am opinionated and can not be easily manipulated
is it because i think people r entitled to their own sexual identity i.e nothing wrong with being gay
isit cos i dont do eye service

i really want to know wat makes you nigerian and if ur reasons r subjective or objective?
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by MissyB1(m): 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2010
vivaladiva:

i get really annoyed when nigerian people accuse me of being too western---
Look who we have here - ''Miss Great Britain''!!!   shocked shocked shocked shocked
Why would you care if someone thought you're too westernized to be Nigerian?
Aren't you the same being that ceases the slightest opportunity to sing the seeming flaws of everything Nigerian? 

vivaladiva:

i think culture is a personal thing
I don't know what you mean by ''Culture is a personal thing'', and I'D like you to expatiate on that but before then, I want to chip in that-
Culture is not a personal/subjective/individual thing.
It has to do with a group of persons; it's either you're in with them or out.
If there be a planet of dark-skinned beings where standing is done on four legs and viewing with 3 eyes, I'D be alien to them if I were in their midst standing on 2 legs and having 2 eyes, regardless of my dark skin.

vivaladiva:

i bliv culture shapes people and people also shape culture
therfore culture is not static and any attempt to repress its evolution would inevitable inhibit progress both physically and mentally
Your Opinion.  . . . .Frankly, it has nothing to do with your topic.

vivaladiva:

my question is, wat makes u a nigerian and what gives u the right to say somebody else is less or more nigerian
My Nigerian-ness(Excuse ma Eng.] is based on the fact that I can relate with fellow Nigerians without difficulty, I can fit into a 'Nigerian situation' with ease, have adequate knowledge of my enviroment; such that, I understand its imperfections and glory and in all, I can bodly identify myself publicly as a full- blooded Nigerian.
What actually gives me the right to regard someone as more or less nigerian than myself? Exactly their activity towards issues that concern Nigeria.
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by Omolola1(f): 10:34pm On Jul 22, 2010
Missy B has said it all!
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by ice234: 10:49pm On Jul 22, 2010
lola how fa, how are u today
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by Omolola1(f): 10:50pm On Jul 22, 2010
@ice, am doing great, and u?
Re: What Makes U A Nigerian Man Or Woman by femmy2010(m): 10:54pm On Jul 22, 2010
What makes one a Nigerian Is too many to list but what makes one un-Nigerian is seeing impossibilities.
With a typical Nigerian,you can never say die.

(1) (Reply)

He's Just Too Hot! I Think Its Bad! / Can You Cope With This? / Genuine Reasons Why I Cannot Marry A Virgin!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.