Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,399 members, 7,978,272 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:35 AM

Are Pentecostals Really Christians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Pentecostals Really Christians? (5202 Views)

ALL Pentecostals Should Read This / Why Do Pentecostals Reject Catholic Baptism / Are Pentecostals Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by ogoamaka99(m): 9:15pm On Aug 15, 2010
Watch them , Birds of the same feather flocks together they say .Men of depraved mind and destitute of the truth. Satanic worshippers, can they say any truth about christianity and the church of GOD?.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by Zodiac61(m): 11:08pm On Aug 15, 2010
I guess anybody who used the bible as a basis of worship is entitled to call himself a christian.  Of course, the fact that there are over 38,000 cults sects that call themselves christians goes to show that they are all wrong.
However, the pentecostals are the worst of a bad lot. They are intolerant, homophobic, anti-women and see themselves as a special elite.
The problem with them all is the pick and mix approach to the bible. Ignoring the many contradictions and illogical statements that abound in the bible, each sect picks certain parts which appeal to their bias, and then condemns all other sects that have a different take on things.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by firebrand: 3:33pm On Aug 16, 2010
@poster, I quitecostal. Also you needto visit some of churches and see how the less privilege are been assisted.
PRAYING LIKE THE THE PHARISEES: Let me jost correct your wrong interpretation of that scriptural passage. When you are praying alone, you dont need to disturb your neighbours by shouting, that is hypocrisy. You dont need to go to the streets and start shouting in the name of prayer as an individual, that is what the pharisees does. On the same vein there is no restriction to the level of your voice if you are in the assembly of brethren like in the church. The book of Isaiah says "cry aloud and spare not". Even Jesus cried out to Lazarus to come out of the grave. This may be necessary at times if situation permits. It was not meant for recognition or hypocrisy.
VOODOO: This is not new or peculiar to a particular denomination. The Methodist church youths once protested against the church from taking part in the funeral of a particular Oluwo (the head of ogboni cult). It is the sign of end time.

1 Like

Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by firebrand: 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2010
@poster, I quite appreciate your concern as expressed, but i would like to open your mind and accept genuine contributions based on the word of God. I have  the following to contribute which i belief  would address the grey areas you highlited:

TITHING: I would not like to dwell much on this because many other threads have addressed this satisfactorily. Tithing is biblical. Jesus and the Apostles never condemn tithing, so it not wrong if the church teaches about tithing. The only wrong will be if it is overflogged.
PROSPERITY: The word of God says in the book of Zechariah that he will spread his cities(church) abroad with prosperity. And the scripture also confirm that Christ became poor so that we can become rich, are all testament that God is ready to prosper His children. Note again that the preaching of prosperity should not be at the expense holiness, without which no man shall see God.
CHARITY: I need you to throw more light on this because i know many churches with charity ministry, and many of them pentecostal. Also you needto visit some of churches and see how the less privilege are been assisted.
PRAYING LIKE THE THE PHARISEES: Let me jost correct your wrong interpretation of that scriptural passage. When you are praying alone, you dont need to disturb your neighbours by shouting, that is hypocrisy. You dont need to go to the streets and start shouting in the name of prayer as an individual, that is what the pharisees does. On the same vein there is no restriction to the level of your voice if you are in the assembly of brethren like in the church. The book of Isaiah says "cry aloud and spare not". Even Jesus cried out to Lazarus to come out of the grave. This may be necessary at times if situation permits. It was not meant for recognition or hypocrisy.
VOODOO: This is not new or peculiar to a particular denomination. The Methodist church youths once protested against the church from taking part in the funeral of a particular Oluwo (the head of ogboni cult). It is the sign of end time.

1 Like

Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2010
Please I would like you quote each of what I wrote and defend it clearly. I would be happy to be clarified.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by ogajim(m): 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2010
Brilliant thread that should hopefully lead to some introspection among the faithful.

As Christians, we are justified by our FAITHFUL WORKS not by tithe, loud prayers, "speaking in tongues" or the like, we must abhor follow follow mentality or "MOG" worshiping because our God is a jealous God and will not share his GLORY with any " pastor, daddy, bishop, prophet, GS, GO, etc."

We must be very careful and "be wise as serpents but gentle as doves" because each and every Christian will have to "work on his/her own Salvation with fear and trembling"
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 9:41am On Oct 02, 2010
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but end of it is utter destruction.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by DGIPLUS(m): 9:05pm On Oct 04, 2010
@Rhino, (1.5bn, 1.2bn, millions)-----broad & wide is the path that leads to destruction, but narrow is the path that leads to life.

@ The Clown, The denominations have been polluted with false teachings & heresies long b4 you & I were born. That's why the true saints (end-time army) are living the church & going back to God.

----I will send you another Comforter, The Holy Spirit & He will teach you all things - Jesus

Work more on your relationship with The HolySpirit & God, so as to reflect the true nature of Jesus Christ.

Cheers!
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by Akobaje: 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2010
These are photographs of a "Christian sister" in her element, employing bottom power as a weapon of man's destruction. Her claims to piety are certainly questionable and her purpose on that occasion was devious. These are the champions of the new "faith" seeking power and fame by any means.

Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by MOG2009: 2:24am On Oct 07, 2010
@poster very interesting topic.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 10:33am On Oct 20, 2010
A little leaven leavens the lump.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by yommyuk: 4:24am On Oct 22, 2010
Are Pentecostals Really Christians?

I for one would not generalize but individualize
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by KunleOshob(m): 9:05am On Oct 22, 2010
yommyuk:

I for one would not generalize but individualize

It's not about generalizing or individualizing, it is about wether core pentecostal doctrines conforms to the true teachings of our lord Jesus Christ. On close scrutiny which was beautifully itemized by the OP they fall way below the mark of being describe as people who are christlike and as such christians.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by yommyuk: 8:37pm On Oct 26, 2010
@KunleOshob

Ok then, pls explain the following

1. What are the core pentecostal doctrines
2. How do these doctrines  not conform to the true teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Base your points on Early Pentecoastalism and build it up from there.  For reference purposes, write on the following

Salvation, baptism and spiritual gifts,Phophesy, Speaking in tongues and Healing for (Starters). and state how the pentecostals defer.

Other Mature Brethens with valid points pls feel free.

Cheers.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by KunleOshob(m): 9:57am On Oct 27, 2010
@yommyuk
Please go and read the original post on this thread again, i believe it nswers your question. On your statement on "early pentecostalism" it may interest you to know that pentecostalism in christianity is a very recent development and it did not start until the 19th century.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by yommyuk: 3:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
@KunleOshob

The points highlighted on this thread are the following
Tithing
Good works
Praying
Dressing and Hairdos

This points are mostly based on the "current trend" going on in the Nigeria "so called" pentecostal churches. However the original intended question is "Are Pentecostals really Christians?" hence making such points invalid if one wants to take a broader view. The above points are not core to the original pentecostal movement. This is a movement that started within the poor of the society

Did a bit of digging myself and in my opinion a resounding "Yes" as long as the "Individual" follows the original doctrine
That is why I stated that I will not generalise but individualize. That is my life principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalism
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/subdivisions/pentecostal_1.shtml
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by KunleOshob(m): 3:55pm On Oct 27, 2010
@Yommyuk
Well you may be right, but majority of pentecostal churches today are preaching false and man made doctrines and presenting i as the word of God. However i is not only the pentecostals that are to blame most church denominations have added their own doctrines to scripture and they present it as if from God. Jesus already warned us about such false teachings:

Matthew 15:8-9:

8 ‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 Their worship is a farce,
for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by yommyuk: 9:36pm On Oct 27, 2010
Matthew 15:8-9 is very much in existence within the christian community. On that I agree, However the responsibility lies with the Christian to seek the truth, discern and relate findings to what is being preached. Most importantly, live a godly life approved by God.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by lonelydude: 10:57pm On Oct 27, 2010
Nice topic but I think the question should be "ARE PRESENT-DAY CHRISTIANS REALLY CHRISTIANS?"
You don't want to sound judgemental, do you? Remember, do not judge that ye may not be judged.

The truth of the matter is that nearly all the denominations have experienced a shift in doctrines. This gets me scared each time I read 2 Tim. 4:1-5 because that's exactly what's happening in the churches today.

You know, I've been to different denominations starting with the ANGLICAN(I was born and bred here for a long time) although I was attending a Deeper Life House Fellowship then where I gave my life to Christ. It was after my NYSC I started the pentecostal church (from one new generational church to MFM and now in RCCG).
I really don't see any difference between these churches/denominations, as far as materialism/Tithing and the likes are concerned.

Regardless of your denomintion, EVERY SOUL WILL GIVE ACCOUNT OF HIMSELF/HERSELF ON THE JUDGEMENT DAY because there is no denomination in heaven.

But me, I think I may likely end up in Deeper Life Bible church because from all the churches I've attended so far, they seem to be the best when it comes to a constant reminder of holiness and making heaven.

I'll also advise you all to visit the website below, at least 3 times a week, to keep reminding yourself of the rapture.

http://www.divinerevelations.info/

However, most importantly, READ AND MEDITATE ON THE WORD AND PRAY ALWAYS.

God bless you all.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 6:00am On Oct 28, 2010
I would have loved to comment , but I don't believe in Pentecostalism
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by SirJohn(m): 7:15am On Oct 28, 2010
Joagbaje:

I would have loved to comment , but I don't believe in Pentecostalism

Does it matter if you believe in it or not? its like me saying I don't believe in offer 7, I would rather call it pastor chris' birthday but your ministry christened it offer 7; whether I believe it or not, it still is his birhday.
'pentecostalism' is just like saying 'christianity' we all know the origin of both words but we chose to accept them based on what they define and not the very words themselves. there are several other concepts so to speak which you believe in that are questionable e.g christmas, easter etc
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
Are christians really christians?
Pukkah:

This is right on target. I assume that virtually everyone knows what is right but most people try to do what is convenient for them or what is in vogue and ignore or pretend not to see what is not convenient.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 11:20am On Dec 01, 2010
firebrand:

@poster, I quite appreciate your concern as expressed, but i would like to open your mind and accept genuine contributions based on the word of God. I have  the following to contribute which i belief  would address the grey areas you highlited:

TITHING: I would not like to dwell much on this because many other threads have addressed this satisfactorily. Tithing is biblical. Jesus and the Apostles never condemn tithing, so it not wrong if the church teaches about tithing. The only wrong will be if it is overflogged.
of Isaiah says "cry aloud and spare not". Even Jesus cried out to Lazarus to come out of the grave. This may be necessary at times if situation permits. It was not meant for recognition or hypocrisy. 

Like you said, this issue has been over flogged but I need to answer you. Going by the fact that Pentecostalism zeroes in on the new testament alone and hold it to be the basis for Christian teaching, tithing should, like every other doctrine jettisoned by them be also done away with. The following article should help to throw more light;

TO TITHE OR NOT TO TITHE?

'CP' denotes 'compare passage'

It needs to be established at the very outset here that this study does not teach against Christians giving into the work of God. It is about how they give – whether spontaneously, or by compulsion. A teaching persists in the contemporary church that Christians under grace in the New Testament are obligated to tithe as the Jews under the law had to tithe in the Old Testament. There are no defining scriptures anywhere in the Bible however, to validate such teaching. Nevertheless the proponents of tithing do use scriptures to argue their position.

The purpose of this study is to examine those scriptures in context to determine if they really can be used for that purpose. But first let us find out exactly what the tithe is (CP Lev 27:30-34). We see from this that the tithe is a tenth part. Under the law here the Old Testament Jews had to pay ten percent of the produce of the earth and the increase of their herds and flocks to God. It had nothing to do with money then, as it has today. Today the tithe is stipulated as ten percent of one’s gross income which has to be paid to the local church. Those who argue for the tithe use Mal 3:8-11 to teach that the local church, being the place where Christians are spiritually fed, is the New Testament equivalent to the Old Testament storehouse where the tithes had to be taken, and that New Testament Christians who withhold their tithes will be cursed the same as the Old Testament Jews (CP Mal 3:8-11). Nothing that God says here can be applied to New Testament Christians. God rebuked the Jews who were under the law and obligated to tithe. New Testament Christians are not under the law because it has been fulfilled in Christ, and they have been redeemed from its curse (CP Ro 10:4; Ga 3:13-14).

The tithe is first mentioned in scripture when Abraham tithed to Melchizedec – a priest of the most high God – from the spoils of war after the slaughter of the kings, when Abraham rescued his nephew Lot and the women captives, in Gen 14 (CP Gen 14:18-20). We will learn more about this tithe and how it is represented by the proponents of tithing in the contemporary church a little later when we study He 7. Another argument for tithing is said to be found in Mt 23:23 (CP 23:23). Many in the church believe that by acknowledging the obligation of the Jews to tithe here Jesus is teaching that tithing is also obligatory for New Testament Christians. Tithing is not even the issue though. Jesus was rebuking Scribes and Pharisees who were subject to the law and obligated to tithe anyway. The issue Jesus was addressing was not their tithes, but their neglect of justice, mercy and faithfulness toward others. To practice these was more important then being sticklers for the smallest detail of tithing (CP Mt 23:24-33). This is what Jesus was really leading up to in Mt 23, which precludes V23 from being used to teach that Jesus was sanctioning tithing for New Testament Christians.

Compulsory tithing under the law in the Old Testament does not translate to giving under grace in the New Testament. The New Testament does not compel Christians, but rather invites them to give generously in response to the needs of others, and as an expression of their love for God (CP 1Cor 16:1-2; 2Cor 8:1-15; 9:1-15; Ga 6:6-8; Jas 2:13-17; 1Jn 3:16-19). We learn from these scriptures that New Testament giving is voluntary, spontaneous and freely given, not from a sense of obligation nor with an intent to merit blessings. Giving is to be seen as a privilege, not an obligation. 1Cor 16:1-2 is used by those who promote tithing to teach that the money the Corinthians were to put aside each Sunday represented the tithe. 2Cor 8:2-4 is used to encourage Christians to tithe, yet in V8 Paul clearly states that he was not commanding the Corinthians to give; he only wanted them to prove the sincerity of their love for their brothers and sisters in Christ. In V7 he calls their giving an act of grace, which is the exact opposite of mandatory tithing. In 2Cor 9:5 Paul stresses the importance of the collection being seen as a willing gift, not as money that has been extorted from them (CP 1Cor 16:3-4 with 2Cor 8:2-4, 7-8 and 9:5). The clear teaching in all these scriptures is that New Testament giving under grace comes from what one has, not from what one does not have. Christians are only expected to give according to their means, and although there must a readiness and eagerness in giving, Christians do not have to run themselves into debt or reduce themselves to poverty level in order to give into God’s work. This is acceptable to God. The issue is one’s willingness to give – not the amount (CP Lu 11:41; 2Cor 8:11-12; 9:7). Christians must not feel bad if they are ever unable to give (CP 2Cor 8:13-15). This teaches that Christians who are well off should meet the needs of those who are not. In this way none will lack, and there will be equality for all, just like God directed the Israelites with the manna in the wilderness (CP Ex 16:16-18).

There are four things Christians must do in giving: they must give willingly from the heart, they must not give grudgingly; they must not give of compulsion; they must give cheerfully (CP 2Cor 8:12; 9:5, 7). Christians who give what they can to those in need will find that the grace of God furnishes a sufficiency for their own needs, and even more, in order that they may abound in good works for others (CP Psa 41:1-2; Pr 11:24-25; 19:17; 22:9; Ecc 11:1; Lu 6:38; 2Cor 9:6, 8-15). At the heart of all Christian giving is the acknowledgement that God is the creator, the owner, and the giver of all things, and what we give back to God is only a part of what He has given to us in the first place (CP Gen 1:1; Ex 19:5; De 8:7-20; 1Chr 29:10-16; Psa 24:1; 50:10-12; Hag 2:8; Jn 1:1-3; Jas 1:17; 2Pe 1:3). Everything Christians have belongs to the Lord. No one has anything that they had not first received from God.

Those who hold that tithing is obligatory for New Testament Christians also use He 7: 1-10 to teach that, as Abraham was the antecedent of all New Testament Christians and paid a tithe to Melchizedec, it is incumbent upon all New Testament Christians to tithe. They contend that Abraham was the representative tithe payer of all his seed to come, which Christians are (CP Ga 3:29). Now let us look at He 7:1-10, but in the context of the whole chapter to see what it really means (CP He 7:1-28). When kept in the context of the whole of Ch 7 it is plain to see that tithing, as being obligatory for New Testament Christians, is not being taught in V1-10 at all. Melchizedec is the subject, not Jesus, and tithing is mentioned only in the context of demonstrating the superiority of Melchizedec over Abraham and Levi in the first place, and the superiority of Christ’s eternal priesthood over the temporary Levitical priesthood in the second place, which makes the New Covenant superior to the Old. That is the theme of He 7, not tithing. Tithing is only incidental to proving that the New Covenant, of which Jesus is the mediator, is by far superior to the Old Covenant, and it cannot be made to mean anything else (CP He 7:19, 22-28; 8:6-13; 9:11-15). We also learn in these scriptures that the Old Covenant has been made obsolete in Christ and done way with in its entirety. That was how God designed it: the Old Covenant was only temporary; the New Covenant under Christ is everlasting (CP Hos 2;11 with Ro 3:21-22; 10:4; 2Cor 3;7-14; Ga 3:19-26; 4:21-31; 5:1-4; Eph 2:13-16; He 7:12, 18:22; 8:6-13; 9:8 -15; 10:1-10).The clear teaching in all these scriptures is that the Old Covenant, which includes the law on tithing, has been completely abolished in Christ and has no relevance for New Testament Christians. Yet those who stand for tithing argue that the tithe itself was not abolished, because it was established by Abraham four hundred and thirty years prior to the law when he tithed to Melchizedec in Gen 14:18-20, which we looked at earlier, and therefore it should be carried on by New Testament Christians. They use Ga 3:17-18 as their proof text. Let us see what it says, but also in context (CP Ga 3:13-18). This scripture cannot be used to teach that Abraham’s tithe to Melchizedec should be continued. This has nothing to do with tithing, or Melchizedec. It is about the Covenant God made with Abraham. Paul is using the analogy of God’s Covenant with Abraham, and a legal agreement made between humans, to show that once the parties to it ratify an agreement, it stands forever – it cannot be annulled or voided. What Paul is teaching here is that the blessings God promised Abraham stand forever too. They were not affected by the law in any way (CP Gen 12:1-3, 7; 13:14-18; 15:1-18; 17:4-8; 22:15-18; 26:1-8; 28:1-4, 10-15 with Ro 4;1-25). This is the Covenant God made with Abraham. The purpose of the law was to keep a sinful people in the way of salvation until the seed of Abraham – Christ – came to inherit the promise, and distribute the blessings to all who receive Him by faith as saviour (CP Ga 3:6-16, 19-29). Everyone in Christ, regardless of nationality or sex, is the seed of Abraham and heir of God’s Covenant promise.

It is patently obvious from the scriptures studied thus far that none of them can be legitimately used to promote tithing as a New Testament Christian obligation. As stated at the outset of this study, there is no defining scripture anywhere in the bible to validate any teaching that it is incumbent upon New Testament Christians to tithe. As also stated previously, compulsory tithing under the law in the Old Testament does not translate to giving under grace in the New Testament. New Testament giving is centred entirety around stewardship – Christians giving of themselves completely to the work of God – which includes their time, their finances, and their material possessions (CP Mt 10:37-39; Mk 8:34-38; Lu 14:26-35).

None of this is teaching against New Testament Christians giving in to the work of God through their local church. Scriptures are very clear on the subject of giving – only those who sow into the Kingdom will reap the Kingdom benefits (CP Ga 6:6-10). Paul is defining God’s law of sowing and reaping here. It applies to every aspect of the Christian walk: Christians giving of themselves, their finances and their time to others; their financial support of the ministry, their moral behaviour, and their Christian service. Ga 6:9-10 teaches that while ever Christians keep doing good, in spite of the opposition they may encounter, in due course they will reap the fruit of the harvest. And notwithstanding that they are to do good unto all men, they are to be particularly concerned with the well - being of other Christians (CP Mt 25:31-46). All Christian giving has to be as to God, the Christians’ source, for whatever Christians do they are doing it as unto Jesus. Jesus equates Christians’ treatment of those in need with their treatment of Himself: what Christians do for them, they do for Him. The Christian walk is not only a spiritual walk, it must also serve the material needs of others, especially other Christians (CP Jas 2:13-17).

Here Christians are presented with the real test of their faith. Christians are not justified by works, but because they are justified by faith, they do the works. This proves their consecration to God’s service and confirms their love for God and for each other (CP 1Jn 3:16-19). The only faith that saves is that demonstrated by works out of Christians’ love for God. This scripture is the exact counterpart of Jn 3:16: “Whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life”. 1Jn 3:16-19 is the acid test of Christianity by which Christians know whether they are following the example of God’s love to others. If Christians are not willing to give of material things to others in need, they certainly would not lay down their lives for them. It is not enough that wealth and material possessions are acquired for self-gratification. They must always be made available for the work of God (CP Mt 6:19-24; Lu 12:13-21; 2Cor 9:5-6). Although God’s law of sowing and reaping dictates that blessings will always be returned for generosity, Christians must never give in order to receive. Giving must always be motivated by love.

It is the duty of all who are taught the word to help provide material support for those who teach the word. Those who minister the word are entitled to live off the word (CP 1Cor 9:7-14; Ga 6:6; 3 Jn 5-cool. No workers of the word should have to seek help in any form outside the church. Christians have a duty, which should be seen as a privilege, to contribute to the needs of every worker of the word. They must not be treated like beggars, but received, sent, and supported in a manner worthy of God (CP Mt 10:40-42; Lu 10:3-7; 1Ti 5:17-18). In Mt 10:41-42 Jesus promises that “he that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward”. This teaches Christians how important it is in God’s purposes to receive and support true messengers of the gospel.

In bringing this study to a close here it needs to be re-stated that while there is extensive teaching on Christians giving into the work of God in the New Testament, there are no scriptures whatever that teach tithing. What they do teach is that Christians belong to God and what they have is held as a trust for him. Their giving is done to help those in need and to advance the Kingdom of God. They are only obliged to give in accordance with their means, out of what they have, and the amount they give is not as important as their willingness to give it. Giving is seen as proof of their love. It is done sacrificially and voluntarily. In their giving Christians sow not only money, but also faith, time and service. To sum up, their giving is characterized by what Paul said in 2Cor 9:7, “every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.”

It is clear that the vehement emphasis on tithe by most pentecostal pastors is for self gain and enrichment, I might be wrong about this statement though but that would be after you convince me otherwise.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 11:43am On Dec 01, 2010
firebrand:

PROSPERITY: The word of God says in the book of Zechariah that he will spread his cities(church) abroad with prosperity. And the scripture also confirm that Christ became poor so that we can become rich, are all testament that God is ready to prosper His children. Note again that the preaching of prosperity should not be at the expense holiness, without which no man shall see God. 

Again, going back to the old testament to back your points up . The prosperity gospel of Pentecostalism, also known as the “Word of Faith,” the believer is told to use God, whereas the truth of biblical Christianity is just the opposite—God uses the believer. Word of Faith or prosperity theology sees the Holy Spirit as a power to be put to use for whatever the believer wills. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person who enables the believer to do God's will. The prosperity gospel is a destructive greed movement infiltrating the church today. They are identified in the bible as dangerous false teachers and Christians are urged to avoid them.

Paul warned Timothy about such men in 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-11. These men of “corrupt mind” supposed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction” (v. 9). The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous path for Christians and one which God warns about: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (v. 10). If riches were a reasonable goal for the godly, Jesus would have pursued it. But He did not, preferring instead to have no place to lay His head (Matthew 8:20) and teaching His disciples to do the same. It should also be remembered that the only disciple concerned with wealth was Judas.

Paul said covetousness is idolatry (Ephesians 5:5) and instructed the Ephesians to avoid anyone who brought a message of immorality or covetousness (Ephesians 5:6-7). Prosperity teaching prohibits God from working on His own, meaning that God is not Lord of all because He cannot work until we release Him to do so. Faith, according to the Word of Faith doctrine, is not submissive trust in God; faith is a formula by which we manipulate the spiritual laws that prosperity teachers believe govern the universe. As the name “Word of Faith” implies, this movement teaches that faith is a matter of what we say more than whom we trust or what truths we embrace and affirm in our hearts.

A favorite term in the Word of Faith movement is “positive confession.” This refers to the teaching that words themselves have creative power. What you say, Word of Faith teachers claim, determines everything that happens to you. Your confessions, especially the favors you demand of God, must all be stated positively and without wavering. Then God is required to answer (as though man could require anything of God!). Thus, God's ability to bless us supposedly hangs on our faith. James 4:13-16 clearly contradicts this teaching: “Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” Far from speaking things into existence in the future, we do not even know what tomorrow will bring or even whether we will be alive.

Instead of stressing the importance of wealth, the Bible warns against pursuing it. Believers, especially leaders in the church (1 Timothy 3:3), are to be free from the love of money (Hebrews 13:5). The love of money leads to all kinds of evil (1 Timothy 6:10). Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). In sharp contrast to the Word of Faith emphasis on gaining money and possessions in this life, Jesus said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). The irreconcilable contradictions between prosperity teaching and the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is best summed up in the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:24, “You cannot serve both God and money."

It is customary for those who they know more than others to stick to their wrong teachings and instead of correcting themselves, indulge in trying to make others follow their ways instead. Study into this and open your mind.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 12:37pm On Dec 01, 2010
firebrand:

CHARITY: I need you to throw more light on this because i know many churches with charity ministry, and many of them pentecostal. Also you needto visit some of churches and see how the less privilege are been assisted.

Yes, I agree with you that some churches make efforts to aid their member. But on the general, Concerning the gospel of works which is not only absent in Pentecostalism but regarded as a no go area for a christian because it tends to glorify work and not faith, in other words, salvation by faith alone. In that same Bible that the Gospel of faith alone was taken from, there was also a gospel of work but it beats my imagination why faith is taken and work is left out. Just to be clear, it would be wrong too if work alone is taken and faith is left out. I therefore make bold to say that faith without works is dead, in other words, leads to death and work without faith, is dead, that is, leads to death.

On these two topics, both Saints Paul and James dwelt extensively, but lets see what our lord Jesus Christ, the author and the finisher of our faith said about them;

Work
Matthew 25
New American Standard Bible
34"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:35‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40“The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44“Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45“Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did
not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46“These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Faith
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned," MAR 16:16.

The two passages above are directly the words of our lord Jesus Christ, the author and the finisher of our faith (and not that of saints paul or james or any apostle), it beats my imagination therefore why one virtue is esteemed and the other jettisoned among those that flaunt themselves to know the bible so much.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 12:56pm On Dec 01, 2010
firebrand:

Jesus cried out to Lazarus not in prayer. It was clearly directed in the bible that prayers should be said quietly(as in secret), without raising of voice and without verbose babbling. (eg die die die and the likes).

Matthew 6:5-8 (New International Version, ©2010)

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I wouldn't say much about this.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 1:11pm On Dec 01, 2010
firebrand:

I concede though that this is not limited to Pentecostalism alone, however, its popular in today's wave of blind follower ship that men, without any formal training and without belonging to any formal Christian body with whatever motive would jump up and all they need to do is dress flashily, perform miracles with the help of whatever, voodooism not ruled out and then preach in sweet voices and people would rush blindly them. People whose authenticity would have been questioned and their ways deciphered among organized Christianity are freely leading men astray. You might not see things from my point of view, however, the truth cannot be otherwise. Like the example you gave above where youths of a particular Church rose against the funeral of a known cultist, tell me, is this possible among the new generation churches where the pastor reign supreme? Even if the youths are told that their pastor or a prominent elder in the church is a cultist they would never believe, rather, they will call on the wrath of God upon you.

These are my observations from without, you either take it or leave it.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 4:05pm On Feb 10, 2011
Now, more seriously, are Pentecostals Christians? I need a clear answer.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by REALTRUTH1: 2:09am On Feb 11, 2011
The Clown:

Now, more seriously, are Pentecostals Christians? I need a clear answer.
Now a more serious answer,,,,,if they way they re practiced in Nigeria,,,they re not Christians,,,,they re just a bunch of packaged,repackaged,distributed and redistributed lots of manipulated goons,,,,Make God help person,,,If you get deeply into them,,,you might end up not been a Chrsitain,,,,Sad truth
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by yommyuk: 12:17am On Feb 12, 2011
Now a more serious answer,,,,,if they way they re practiced in Nigeria,,,they re not Christians,,,,they re just a bunch of packaged,repackaged,distributed and redistributed lots of manipulated goons cry cry cry,,,,Make God help person,,,If you get deeply into them,,,you might end up not been a Chrsitain,,,,Sad truth
True word cool
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 11:57am On Jun 08, 2011
Thanks for your answer. Any contrary view is welcomed.
Re: Are Pentecostals Really Christians? by TheClown: 6:14pm On Jul 09, 2012
Conclusion, Pentecostals are not Christians... grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wtchcraft And Dark Manipulations / Lies Pentecostal Pastors Tell Direct From The Pulpit. END TIME PREACHERS / What Age Will Everyone Be In Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.