Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,269 members, 7,887,785 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:47 PM

I Need Building Tips - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Need Building Tips (9887 Views)

I Need Building Plan For A Three Bedroom And Two Room & Parlour Self Contain / Need Building Construction? / Do You Need Building Materials Like Steel Rods, Mersh Wire .e.tc Call Us Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 9:05pm On Apr 15, 2007
I have acquired a Double Plot of Land @ Calabar measured at 120 x 140 and I intend to Build either a 5 Bedroom Duplex (all rooms en suite) or a 6 Bedroom Bungalow (both with a Boys Quarters apartment).

I have 2 trusted Architects who can serve as my project manager and a trusted younger brother who will be liaising and confirming costs and expenses. I am not in a hurry to complete the building (maybe 24 months timeframe) and wouldn't mind building it instalmentally in phases.

I am about to send money for the building of a high rise wall around the plot and for a well to be dug (that would later serve as a borehole).

I intend high standards of finishing to be maintained and would like to receive advice and tips from those who have experienced implementing such building projects on how to go about the building and what pitfalls to avoid in the process. Thanks
Re: I Need Building Tips by Tmoni(m): 10:48am On Apr 16, 2007
i would go for the 5 bedroom duplex,
having two architects on one project might not be a too good idea ( one ship-two captains rule)

get a quantity surveyor to quantify it, will help in the long run,

work out a budget drawdown plan i.e how much is expected to be spent each week, forthnight, month, e.t.c

what have u done on the issue of suppliers and hw to manage them (might make some peeps extra rich)

hope this spurs some other issues to be considered
Re: I Need Building Tips by sketch18(m): 10:56am On Apr 16, 2007
i suggest the 5 Bedroom Duplex and also if you need any floor plans done, iam your men, holla
Re: I Need Building Tips by awolumate(m): 11:17am On Apr 16, 2007
@sketch 18.

Please advice on the best material to use in flooring . I am thinking of tiles,ceramic or terrazo. Which is the best to use . The project consist of 4 flats (for commercial purpose) and a bungalow for the family.

I need your best advice on this flooring putting in consideration the 4flats for commercial and the bungalow for use.
Thanks.

@londoncool.
   Both are good but depends on how much is available to run the projects. The bungalow is quite cheaper to complete than the duplex as u wont need to construct any decking( gulps a lot of money),  The duplex is lovely anyway.

@sketch 18.
Note . I am based in Italy where tiles, ceramics and marbles are very cheap and best ,
Re: I Need Building Tips by sketch18(m): 4:53pm On Apr 16, 2007
The best material well
*Terrazzo Stone tiles is good for the foyer
*marble is good for living rooms and main leisure rooms you would also use it for the kitchen only IF its an open plan leading you from the living room to the kitchen.

colour scheme is important, so that you buy the right type of flooring. thats natural and doesnt clash.

please do message me back with your questions,

enclosed is an example of a min project ive done, but as soon as i find the JOB material spec ill send it to you

sketch

Re: I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2007
awolumate:

@londoncool.
   Both are good but depends on how much is available to run the projects. The bungalow is quite cheaper to complete than the duplex as u wont need to construct any decking( gulps a lot of money),  The duplex is lovely anyway.

@awolumate,
I can handle the cost for the decking, it seems I may go for the duplex option.

sketch18:

i suggest the 5 Bedroom Duplex and also if you need any floor plans done, iam your men, holla

@sketch18,
I may be soliciting your services for the building plan

Tmoni:

i would go for the 5 bedroom duplex,

@ Tmoni,

Thanks for the advice. I intend to choose only 1  Architect. I will get a QS so that I can project manage my costs and I am earmarking some basic suppliers to start with
Re: I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 12:41am On Apr 17, 2007
I have decided to share my building models here, any room for more improvisation ? Comments are solicited.

Re: I Need Building Tips by promise72(m): 4:49am On Apr 17, 2007
@ Londoncool,

I'm looking at the 5 bedroom and i can't find a balcony where to relax. may be im looking at it wrong.

Also let me lie to you briefly. No matter how trusted those in Nigeria are, you will spend a bit more than if you are based in Nigeria. So be prepared. People will add on somewhere along the line. NO MATTER HOW. May not be your brother or family member but ther will be an add on.

Also, last but not the least, be prepared to visit Nigeria to personally choose, inspect and direct some of the ideas of the project. IT IS YOUR IDEA. And no one could interprete it better than you. I suggest that when  the building is about to start. Check that the blocks are strong enough ane meet spects (since its not a bungalow) Foundation is strong enough to handle things. You don't want a collapsed bulding midway.

Contractor don't mind charging you for full and deliver Qtr. Keep the honest people honest.

Visit again when structure is up and roofed. Select fittings and make sure that workmanship is up to par. Clean job. Its your $$$. You deserver to get the best for it.
Re: I Need Building Tips by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 17, 2007
I've not looked as closely at the posts as i should have, but i think the services have been omitted.you may need to bring on a competent engineer that will give you a cost breakdown of the following:
electrification of your building

appropriately sized generator with diesel storage

borehole, water storage and water treatment plant

proper piped services (plumbing)

i say this because architects (in my experience) sometimes give these services to contractors to execute as turnkey jobs. the finished product often requires adjustments and adjustments.
Re: I Need Building Tips by Grouppoint(m): 11:00am On Apr 17, 2007
I've carried out similar projects as you are about to. i.e. building a house while you are based abroad.
Whilst it may be sensible to travel and visit the site several times during the project, it may be inconvenient or impractical.

So here's what I did: I bought a digital camera and sent to my brother on instruction that he'll email me weekly all updates.

So whether its tiles selection or foundation stage of the build, I had pictures and could decide if I wished to.

More importantly, you need to vet your builder, Architect and anyone ele on that project. You need to see what they've done in the past. And find out what the client has to say about them.

I got a builder to erect the structure (shell), then I paid more attention to the finishing myself, so I sourced windows, doors, kitchens, flooring, Sanitary ware, lighting by myself, or through reputable suppliers.

Always get at least 5 separate quotes for each piece of work before deciding.

Finally, a great many building projects end up in conflicts between client and contractor, so be tactful.
Re: I Need Building Tips by megapro(m): 2:49pm On Apr 17, 2007
Londoncool,
your building models posted suits neither your 5 bedroom duplex nor your 6 bedroom bungalow.

The amount you spend will be determined by your choice of materials.
The bungalow will cost normally roughly half the duplex. (you eliminate 2 million for the decking and also structural engineering fees wink)
If you have fittings like door and wardrobe handles, kitchen sinks and cabinets, bath, toilet other electrical fittings, bring them from europe cos in nigeria you mostly get abeokuta.

Get competent people right from the start to advice what kind foundation you need for that soil type in calabar.
make sure the DPC is high enough cos you cant trust the terrain.

If you can undertake it at a go, make your brother the clerk of works but dont stockpile cement; it could cake.

The commisioner of works and housing there was in same department as myself in unijos.
If you need to you can mail me @megaplanarchitects@yahoo.com, you'll get a state of the art duplex (8,7m) or a 6 rmbungalow (5.2m).

@ awolumate
for floor finishing, would reccoment only Terazzo(Insitu) for the entire commercial and paladiana marble for the public areas of the private crib.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Building Tips by kemmytino(f): 5:11pm On Apr 17, 2007
hi, i would like to recommend some one for you he has a wide experience i building ,he has done so much work and i know you would love to see his works. he is into building fro people supervising projects to have perfect touch, refurbishment, renovations and the likes and he his trustworthy. the name of the company is Bayy Square Nigeria Limited. You can call him on 08033910571 or e-mail him on bayysquare@yahoo.com. Tell him to forward his company profie to you and pictures of his recent works he his based in portharcourt but travels to places to execute contracts .
Best of luck
Re: I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 5:53pm On Apr 17, 2007
@promise72,
Thanks for the advice; I will definitely add a balcony to the building (and maybe a Jacuzzi room/pentouse). After obtaining a Bills of Quantity from QS I will get an Architect and Structural /Building Engineer to deal with the Structural aspects while the Builder /Contractor handle the construction. I will be visiting at least 2-3 times before completion.

@oyb,
I have factored the Borehole, Plumbing and Electrical aspects and intend to get professionals to get the job done (instead of the contractor/builder)

@Grouppoint,
Thanks for your valid point made, A colleague of mine gets weekly building updates through digital camera attachments to her e-mail. Like you I intend to get all my fixtures and fittings by myself. A colleague of mine got his stuff from Home Base in UK and shipped them to Nigeria; the shipping cost was quite affordable.

@megapro,

Any professional reasons why my ideal 5 bedroom duplex/6 bedroom bungalow doesn’t fit the models I posted?

I will make my brother to stockpile Blocks instead of Cement

I will be contacting you for your state of the art Building Plan very soon

@kemmytino,

I will give your guy a call and hear what his business presentation is like. Thanks for the contact.
Re: I Need Building Tips by promise72(m): 4:17am On Apr 18, 2007
I WILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH YOUR Q.S CAME UP WITH

THANKS
Re: I Need Building Tips by sketch18(m): 10:48am On Apr 18, 2007
LONDONCOOL WHATS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS sketch18_2000@yahoo.com CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW TO POST A NEW TOPIC PLEASE?
Re: I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 12:01am On Apr 19, 2007
sketch18:

LONDONCOOL WHATS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW TO POST A NEW TOPIC PLEASE?
@sketch18,

I have sent you an email (you can delete yours now).

You start a new topic by going to the relevant section you intend to post and then click on "NEW TOPIC" at the top right side of the page, write your Subject heading then continue your post just the way you reply posts here.
Re: I Need Building Tips by tundysho(m): 6:45pm On Apr 19, 2007
Nice thread here.please can someone help me on a plan i can use build my house in port harcourt.i want to build o 4 flat apartment (for rent) on a single storey. 2 flats up and 2 flats down .i will appreciate if i can get this from any nairalander
Re: I Need Building Tips by tundysho(m): 6:49pm On Apr 19, 2007
can someone please let me know any website that i can lay my hand on several building plans thati can chhose from
Re: I Need Building Tips by promise72(m): 5:23am On Apr 21, 2007
@ tundysho,

I live in the states. some of the plans might not be in jive with european designs. However, i say u go to Houseplans.com or Homeplans.com and knock yourself out. You can get ideas. Let me know if you have any questions.
Re: I Need Building Tips by Nobody: 1:27am On Jun 09, 2007
U don't have to go to a website for plans that might not work for the tropics . There are architects here ready to avail u of their services. Just give me ur brief I give u a sample for free.
Re: I Need Building Tips by amakajune: 6:03pm On Jun 11, 2007
i agree with nimi-k. architects here will be able to give you a design that works. when you say calabar, i think you can add more value to your investments if you consider a hotel or such like.
Re: I Need Building Tips by DisGuy: 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2007
nimi-k:

You don't have to go to a website for plans that might not work for the tropics . There are architects here ready to avail u of their services. Just give me your brief I give u a sample for free.

post their website so we can see
cheers
Re: I Need Building Tips by Nobody: 12:52am On Jun 17, 2007
Ok Disguy thanks for the advice. Sorry we don't have a website yet. Check these images out.
[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6GG0%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7KPfrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQnaxQJQxol0xv8uOc5xQQQ0aQJ0QonPlqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPln%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,306,442[/img]
[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6GG0%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxrKUp7BHD7KPfrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQnaxQJQxol0xv8uOc5xQQQ0aQJ0QonPaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPln%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,306,442[/img]
Re: I Need Building Tips by Naija4ward(m): 7:40am On Jun 30, 2007
London Cool, My only contribution is "put up the right building, in the right place". Seriously look at the composition of properties in the area you are building. If you put a duplex in an area where a bungalow would do, it will be sad. Renting or selling it after completion may not give you efficient returns. For example I desired to put a duplex on a piece of land in Ajah, but was advised by three different builders that a block of 4 flats will be better for renting purpose.

There is not sufficient/strong "demarcation" at the front between the two duplex. The plan is okay if you are locating that structure in an estate/gated community, otherwise think of increasing the demarcation wall.

From my personal experience building properties (of any shape or form) in Nigeria without visiting is not recommended. If you are going to sell after completion, its okay. But if you are going to be renting or living in such buildings, headaches awaits you after completion. The sad reality is that the artisans are often not properly supervised. The more you go home to supervise the major element, the less headache for the future.
Re: I Need Building Tips by LondonCool(m): 7:28pm On Jul 18, 2007
Naija4ward:

London Cool, My only contribution is "put up the right building, in the right place". Seriously look at the composition of properties in the area you are building. If you put a duplex in an area where a bungalow would do, it will be sad. Renting or selling it after completion may not give you efficient returns. For example I desired to put a duplex on a piece of land in Ajah, but was advised by three different builders that a block of 4 flats will be better for renting purpose.

There is not sufficient/strong "demarcation" at the front between the two duplex. The plan is okay if you are locating that structure in an estate/gated community, otherwise think of increasing the demarcation wall.

From my personal experience building properties (of any shape or form) in Nigeria without visiting is not recommended. If you are going to sell after completion, its okay. But if you are going to be renting or living in such buildings, headaches awaits you after completion. The sad reality is that the artisans are often not properly supervised. The more you go home to supervise the major element, the less headache for the future.

Thanks for your advice,I intend to put up a 2-winged 5-bedroom Duplex (with demarcation) and rent out one wing and reside in the other part.
Re: I Need Building Tips by thirdeye(m): 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
The two elevations look ok to me,but you can't have a critical analysis of your plan without the floor plans. Looking at your 3ds is not enough to confirm that your design is healthy.
Also be much wary of your pocket first before you start thinking of putting all your dream home accessories in this building.

I'll like you to read my piece
http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcsdiaspora.htm
http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcssupervise.htm
Re: I Need Building Tips by ssRhino: 1:11am On Aug 08, 2007
I am realy loving this thread, infact, this Nairaland site is getting better by day
Re: I Need Building Tips by sunjongs(m): 6:13pm On Aug 08, 2007
If you are serious, contract it to me and tell me how you want it.
Re: I Need Building Tips by jidody(m): 11:45pm On Aug 15, 2007
Please can anyone tell me the price of the following around Ajah area:

Granite 15 tonnes
Cement
Sharp Sand
12 by 1 plank wood
Iron rods 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 16mm

I will appreciate if this information is sent to jidody@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: I Need Building Tips by abocana: 7:26pm On Aug 17, 2007
hey jidody, I've got a site at oke-ira nla close to Ado road, i lived in canada,but just came back from lagos.

Bag of cement 1,450 and it depends on quantity, you can even see it for 1,400

sharp sand is 14,000 for 10tonnes,confirm.

lata.
Re: I Need Building Tips by jidody(m): 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
abocana:

hey jidody, I've got a site at oke-ira nla close to Ado road, i lived in canada,but just came back from lagos.

Bag of cement 1,450 and it depends on quantity, you can even see it for 1,400

sharp sand is 14,000 for 10tonnes,confirm.

lata.

Thanks Abocana. My site is also close to Oke-Ira, its in Thomas Village. I have noted the prices, now I need that of:
Granite 15 tonnes
12 by 1 plank wood
Iron rods 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 16mm

I just want to know what it is before I commit to the people handling the work for me.

Thanks
Re: I Need Building Tips by ajileko: 1:47pm On Sep 26, 2007
The granite will cost you about 25,000 naira for a 5 tons load. Very expensive. Why do you need granite anyway? You can achive the same result using wash gravels and save lots of money. The iron rod will cost you about 107,000 naira per ton. The biger the rod diameter, the lesser the quanty. Example: 10mm = 134 peices, 12mm = 93 peices, 16mm = 52 peices. 1x12x12 will cost you about 600 naira each.
Hope this helps.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Showroom For Exotic And Bespoke Metal Works/fabrication For Your Housing Project / Get Massive Discount Now! The Northbrooks Estate By Redemption Camp With C Of O / How To Water Proof Concrete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.