Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,699 members, 7,914,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 12:59 PM

Group Protests Indian Company's Treatment Of Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Protests Indian Company's Treatment Of Workers (704 Views)

Mass Resignation Of Workers Hits PDP / FG Orders Verification Of Workers’ Certificates / Group Protests Ceding Of Bakassi To Cameroon In Abuja (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Group Protests Indian Company's Treatment Of Workers by asha80(m): 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5603428-146/story.csp

Group protests Indian company's treatment of workers
by segun balogun

August 6, 2010 01:00PM
  print  email   

Citizens Rights Watch (CRW), a human rights activist organisation, wants strict punitive measures taken against Indian-owned Celplas Industries Nigeria limited.

The organisation held a protest on Thursday in front of the Ikeja Federal High Court, where a lawsuit filed against the company was adjourned till Friday because the presiding Judge, S.J. Adah, did not show up.

"We are here to protest and get justice against the inhumane treatments Nigerian youth are getting in the hands if Indians," said Abraham Ovorare, the director of the organisation for CRW.

They did not just come armed with legal prowess, Gabriel Ojumah, the group's president, who gave the workers a lifeline by deciding to defend them despite their helplessness, they were also there with evidence of their claim - people who have been disabled while working for Celplas.

Yinka Oluwole had his left wrist amputated; Ejike Okonkwo had chemical burn on the face and is partially blind; Ilori Busayo had two fingers chopped off; Nwachukwu Chinedu lost his thumb. Others had equally agonising stories to tell.

As if the injuries suffered by the complainants was not enough, Celplas management sacked them a few days ago when they threatened civil and legal action.

No welfare for workers

"My estimation shows that there are more than 30 cases of deformity in Celplas alone, some of which have died. The people you see here are just from one unit; Celplas has five units," said Mr. Ojumah, who said Celplas turned deaf ears to his previous advances for amicable resolution.

All the aggrieved asserted that Celplas is lacking in provision for workers' welfare, including proper training, provision of protective equipment, and medical treatment.

"All the workers are casual staff and no training is given. You don't even have a permanent work schedule; you just get there and they fix you somewhere," said Mr. Oluwole.

Without any technical qualification, Mr. Oluwole was assigned on August 4, 2007 to work on the Moulding Machine that clipped his left arm.

"I was taken to Moyo Clinic in Mushin. The doctor told me that my arm has been damaged by chemicals and burnt by the machine. It pained me deeply and felt like dying," he said.

"I wrote several letters which they refused to accept. I decided to use courier and they did not respond. After about 18 months, the insurance company (G.N. Bishop Insurance Brokers) came with ₦634,000. I felt devalued. I asked myself whether loosing an arm is valued at ₦634,000." Mr. Oluwole was left alone since then to battle a deteriorating arm at Igbobi Hospital where he has been told his arm will be amputated again.

Alleged labour leaders' conspiracy

[b]Mr. Oluwole alleged being forced to sign the insurance claim "in the presence of the union leaders and Mr. Ola, the contractor. They persuaded me to accept the claim, promising the director, who was away at that time, will pay me additional compensation and even permanent employment." "I must say I am disappointed with the attitude of Labour (Nigerian Labour Congress) on issues of causalisation and maltreatment of Nigerian workers," said Mr. Ojumah "What is the responsibility of a labour union if not to ensure that the rights of workers are protected? They have obviously abdicated their responsibility but I don't know if there is conspiracy or compromise somewhere." He said his organisation has made several representations but "none of them has bothered to contact us. We even held a rally at the Labour House at Yaba but unfortunately because we informed them beforehand, none of them showed up." NEXT called up a phone number whose recipient we were told is the company's general manger. The recipient refused to disclose his name but agreed he is the general manager.

"The case is in court and I can't say much," he said.[/b]

He, however, rebuffed the claim that they use obsolete machines. "Our machines have minimum of 25 years life span and they are just eight years old now." He said the company has functional workmen compensation policy and medical treatment which covered "all staff including those provided by our service providers." He declined further comments.

Back

(1) (Reply)

Puberty Strikes A 7 Years Old Girl / More Confusion, Even After Igbo Summit / Bomb Blasts: Northern Politicians Move For Jonathan’s Impeachment •consult Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.