Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,843 members, 7,872,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:17 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (718) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2239002 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 7:30am On Jun 21
Mariojane:
see intimidations o. I am joining you guys soon

Haha, we are expecting you oh
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aurorae1: 2:37pm On Jun 21
Afolavid:

Canada has too much to offer, so many things to see... I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, see you!

Thank you so much!
Can't wait to come.
Canada's flora and fauna is one of its biggest selling points to me as a nature lover.
Experiencing it will be the biggest blessing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jedisco(m): 2:52pm On Jun 21
Tonto30:
Hello Elders,

I got PPR last month, I have been confused on the province to land. Though my top pick presently is Alberta and Ontario
Please in terms of rent and availability of survival jobs, which province should I go to?

I am single and I presently work in healthcare (just giving brief info about myself)
I also need tips on getting cheap flights and renting a shared apartment from Nigeria πŸ™

Congrats. Healthcare draw I guess. E be like say this healthcare draw favour people.

Might be worth stating what healthcare professional you are so you can get tailored advice.

I know Alberta pays better for certain healthcare roles, has lower taxes with relatively less cost of living. Not there yet but know a number of Nigerian medics heading that way.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Wonder1844(m): 5:34pm On Jun 21
I will be coming to Calgary 3rd week of August,
I need a 1 bedroom apartment/basement close to university of Calgary.
If there's anyone in Calgary who can assist, I will greatly appreciate that.Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deeegbee: 9:16pm On Jun 21
Wonder1844:
I will be coming to Calgary 3rd week of August,
I need a 1 bedroom apartment/basement close to university of Calgary.
If there's anyone in Calgary who can assist, I will greatly appreciate that.Thanks

An apartment will be available for a month in September, hit me up if you need it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 10:08pm On Jun 21
SHORT TERM STAY:

There is a one bedroom with one large living room basement fully furnished with bed, reading table, dining table, sitting room sofa, kitchen utilities. including television equipped with Netflix Available from July 5th-July 21, 2024 Intersection- Sandalwood/creditview, Brampton
DM if interested. $1000 for the full stay.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by frony1: 5:02am On Jun 22
Hi Guys,

I am glad to find this thread , I am new here . I will be arriving in Canada in August 2024 for study at CNA Corner Brook Campus . I would like to connect with those in Newfoundland and Labrador. I also need a room accommodation in a two or three bedroom apartment. I would appreciate any help in these regards.

Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by braine(m): 3:07pm On Jun 22
megastu:
SHORT TERM STAY:

There is a one bedroom with one large living room basement fully furnished with bed, reading table, dining table, sitting room sofa, kitchen utilities. including television equipped with Netflix Available from July 5th-July 21, 2024 Intersection- Sandalwood/creditview, Brampton
DM if interested. $1000 for the full stay.
1000 for two weeks! haba

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 10:24pm On Jun 22
It's not a lease.

$66 a night.
braine:

1000 for two weeks! haba

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 9:10pm On Jun 23
Canada has a big problem with this situation and big decisions to make. Hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 9:13pm On Jun 23
ednut1:
Canada has a big problem with this situation and big decisions to make. Hmmmm

How many are working in Tim Hortons, vs skilled labour, it’s a no-brainer
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 12:37am On Jun 24
Dauphine:

How many are working in Tim Hortons, vs skilled labour, it’s a no-brainer
but majority were students who have obtained Canadian diploma/degrees πŸ€”
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Luckybelt: 12:44am On Jun 24
Tonto30:
Hello Elders,

I got PPR last month, I have been confused on the province to land. Though my top pick presently is Alberta and Ontario
Please in terms of rent and availability of survival jobs, which province should I go to?

I am single and I presently work in healthcare (just giving brief info about myself)
I also need tips on getting cheap flights and renting a shared apartment from Nigeria πŸ™
Will be heading Alberta soon. Quite cheaper than Ontario

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by braine(m): 5:18am On Jun 24
Luckybelt:

Will be heading Alberta soon. Quite cheaper than Ontario

I’m looking to move to Alberta too. I go link up with you o

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 6:19am On Jun 24
ednut1:
but majority were students who have obtained Canadian diploma/degrees πŸ€”

Some would argue that their education is irrelevant to the occupational gaps or from diploma mills but anyways libs are not going to have this as smooth sailing as before. I truly hope they can fix it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lastkingsman: 7:47am On Jun 24
Kenn55:

All the western world countries are almost the same except for little variations here and there.

They are all credit societies where large chunk of their economy is driven by consumer spending.

However you have the choice to stay out of loans. For example, If you don't have money to go to school, then you don't have to study courses that would keep you heavily indebted since you will be taking loan to study. You can study in demand courses in colleges with grant rather than go to a high ranking university to study with loans. You can decide to drive a 15 year old car and pay for it in cash rather than going for a brand new or fairly new car with loan.

You can even keep renting instead of buying a house on mortgage if you hate loans so much but that doesn't make sense since houses are assets and not liabilities. Even though you owe money on a house, you can sell it and make profit when the time is right.

Note that an average oyibo doesn't care much about debt the way we do cos that is how they live from beginning and it's part of their lifestyle as built by their system.

You talked about savings but note that these western countries are not built for savings but spending. Like I said before, it is the bedrock of their economy. Besides, the structure of their society coupled with fairly good governance makes savings not to be a big deal.

Why do people need savings? In case of emergency. What are the do or die emergencies? Loss of job, health, accidents, loss of shelter,life etc. The oyibo model is insure instead of savings. This is why insurance is one of the biggest industries in North America.

In this place, your insurance is your savings while in places like Nigeria, your savings is your insurance because of the model our society is run. You see the difference.

Why would an average oyibo be bothered much about savings when he has insured against all possible emergencies? Life, employment, health,home,car,accident and even pet sef dey get insurance. These insurance coverages cost money but because of their mentality, they embrace it but majority of us Africans will see it as a waste and instead save those money in the bank and that would form part of our "savings".

So when you read an average oyibo have little or no savings, that is the truth but it doesn't tell the full story.

You asked a valid question but you need to understand how the society is built in order to properly navigate it. The choice to embrace the oyibo model or our Nigerian model or a little mixture of both is left for you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 12:56pm On Jun 24
Dauphine:

Some would argue that their education is irrelevant to the occupational gaps or from diploma mills but anyways libs are not going to have this as smooth sailing as before. I truly hope they can fix it

Many Nigerians are mistakenly selling their property to move to Canada on a student visa, assuming that this will ensure their transition to permanent residency. However, there is no guarantee that international students will become permanent residents. In fact, most students indicate in their applications that they intend to return home after graduating. If Canada decides to choose someone more experienced from outside the country to fill an invisible labor gap, rather than a recent graduate who has only worked part-time at a fast-food restaurant for local experience, that is within their rights. International education is primarily a money-making venture for host countries, and they select only a few graduates they need. What the others do after graduation is not the host country's responsibility for example A group of migrants mostly student in Prince Edward Island (PEI) are protesting unexpected changes to immigration rules that put their pathway to permanent residency in jeopardy. They are now at risk of losing status and having to leave the country.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tcrown2020(f): 1:42pm On Jun 24
House34:

Many Nigerians are mistakenly selling their property to move to Canada on a student visa, assuming that this will ensure their transition to permanent residency. However, there is no guarantee that international students will become permanent residents. In fact, most students indicate in their applications that they intend to return home after graduating. If Canada decides to choose someone more experienced from outside the country to fill an invisible labor gap, rather than a recent graduate who has only worked part-time at a fast-food restaurant for local experience, that is within their rights. International education is primarily a money-making venture for host countries, and they select only a few graduates they need. What the others do after graduation is not the host country's responsibility for example A group of migrants mostly student in Prince Edward Island (PEI) are protesting unexpected changes to immigration rules that put their pathway to permanent residency in jeopardy. They are now at risk of losing status and having to leave the country.

Hhhm. This is serious o 😭😭
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 2:18pm On Jun 24
Not just PEI, even people in Brampton. But as I observed Indians are the ones protesting and asking for extended stay. And I totally agree with you, there are no guarantees

House34:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by funkyy598: 2:51pm On Jun 24
Dauphine:
Not just PEI, even people in Brampton. But as I observed Indians are the ones protesting and asking for extended stay. And I totally agree with you, there are no guarantees

Nigerians do not typically protest, but many Nigerian students in Canada are now seeking asylum due to the lack of a clear route to permanent residency and their inability to pay the high tuition fees cry

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 5:06pm On Jun 24
Really sad

funkyy598:

Nigerians do not typically protest, but many Nigerian students in Canada are now seeking asylum due to the lack of a clear route to permanent residency and their inability to pay the high tuition fees cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 2:54am On Jun 25
Can anyone recommend stores where affordable furniture can be obtained? Most apartments in Canada come unfurnished, and furnishing is so so expensive. Any tips will be appreciated please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:57am On Jun 25
funkyy598:

I thought only those in the UK were seeing shege. it seems Canada is worse off.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 4:50am On Jun 25
Cana own na Shege promax
tensazangetsu20:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:55am On Jun 25
megastu:
Cana own na Shege promax

Na wa o cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by fabiomatic(m): 6:07am On Jun 25
JIREN01:
Can anyone recommend stores where affordable furniture can be obtained? Most apartments in Canada come unfurnished, and furnishing is so so expensive. Any tips will be appreciated please
in which province are you?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lastkingsman: 8:03am On Jun 25
megastu:
Cana own na Shege promax

Can you explain more or give details the shege people are going through?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lastkingsman: 8:09am On Jun 25
tensazangetsu20:

It's not only UK. It's the surge of migrants into these countries that's causing all these problems.

Remember UK, Canada and AUS shutdown migration during COVID-19 and opened their doors wide open after the lockdown without controlling migration.

Some many migrants chasing stretched services and opportunities. It's well
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deeegbee: 8:51am On Jun 25
tensazangetsu20:

The economy is no longer the way it's used to be due to the influx immigrants mostly Students and SOWP but not as bad as what we have in Nigeria.

Few years ago in Canada, you can get up to 5 different jobs few weeks upon landing and start guessing which offer to accept.

Back then, I got a job in an American MNC FMCG even before landing, just 1 interview on MS Teams and I got the Offer.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyetpel(m): 10:22am On Jun 25
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 11:12am On Jun 25
oyetpel:
If anyone has a Canadian lady looking for a man, I am available, and I reside in Nigeria and I am hardworking and loving.
I thought my airdrops will fund my Canada POF, but I didn't earn up to my expectations.
Those there is still chance to earn more like Linea, Scroll etc but I just want to leave Nigeria.

Is this the reason why you are looking for a Canadian lady?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyetpel(m): 11:15am On Jun 25
oluayebenz:

Is this the reason why you are looking for a Canadian lady?

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: sanima770, uchennay, Aka2003, walenden, Luckybelt and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 4
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.