Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,122 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:03 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (719) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2252936 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25
oyetpel:

I understand there will ladies that need men, and I am ready to be with such person if we get along.
you won’t find any here. Go and hustle for older white women like others are doing .

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyetpel(m): 12:12pm On Jun 25
ednut1:
you won’t find any here. Go and hustle for older white women like others are doing .

Lol, I sense this might happen.
I will keep working hard, thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 12:30pm On Jun 25
oyetpel:

How much can you pay? Because nothing concern love and hard work in this one 😏

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maxxim: 12:34pm On Jun 25
ednut1:
They get actually, mostly the obese
Dey play Egbon 😂

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyetpel(m): 1:16pm On Jun 25
Dauphine:

How much can you pay? Because nothing concern love and hard work in this one 😏
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 1:44pm On Jun 25
grin Goodluck bro

oyetpel:

Scam is that you?
You see me talk about love? I am hardworking, just that currently the chance of getting in is limited. I earn well from airdrops (Zksync, Layerzero, Aethir e.t.c) go and read about them and other airdrops, I just didn't get up to my expectations from them, and waiting on Linea and scroll will still take a while.
Then it occurred to me that a closed mouth is a closed destiny (I have genuine people that reached out to me concerning airdrops and when i saw their genuineness and passion, i put them through), reason why I found courage to reach out here on Nairaland.
I know there are a lot of women that need a man in their life, and I know with my hard work I will be useful to her and we will have a good relationship and family.
Though I expected trolls concerning my post, but it's just fine.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 3:45pm On Jun 25
fabiomatic:
in which province are you?
I’m in Hamilton, Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by affoncad: 4:15pm On Jun 25
Deeegbee:

The economy is no longer the way it's used to be due to the influx immigrants mostly Students and SOWP but not as bad as what we have in Nigeria.

Few years ago in Canada, you can get up to 5 different jobs few weeks upon landing and start guessing which offer to accept.

Back then, I got a job in an American MNC FMCG even before landing, just 1 interview on MS Teams and I got the Offer.

The govt ignore the voice of wisdom and now it affecting everybody , an unplanned immigration is a failure to any economic and you can see yesterday byelection when the rulling party losing an election in is strong hold of over 30years is not a good sign!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ferfer(m): 6:45pm On Jun 26
affoncad:

The govt ignore the voice of wisdom and now it affecting everybody , an unplanned immigration is a failure to any economic and you can see yesterday byelection when the rulling party losing an election in is strong hold of over 30years is not a good sign!

The influx of immigrants serve a purpose. Let us ask ourselves, who are the greatest beneficiaries of this influx? Food, clothing and accommodation represent the bare necessities for anyone's survival. And there is arguable proof that by letting in the record number of immigrants, the economy is doing well.

Loblaw Companies (owner of grocery chains Real Canadian Superstore, Wholesale, Independent Grocer, Shoppers Drug Mart) reported a first-quarter 2024 revenue of $13.58 billion, a 4.5% increase from the previous year, and a quarterly profit of $459 million, a 9.8% increase.
During Dollarama’s latest quarterly conference call, CEO Neil Rossy called Canada’s growing population a “driver in the future.” The Montreal-based company sells a wide assortment of discount household essentials like knives, forks, pots and pans through more than 1,500 stores across Canada. BMO Capital Markets estimates nearly a third of Dollarama’s 2025 same-store sales growth will come from “elevated levels of immigration into Canada.”

And the Prime Minister was on record saying that they need the housing situation to stay that way to maintain the retirement nest egg of the older generation. Let me quote him - “Housing needs to retain its value,” Mr. Trudeau told The Globe and Mail’s City Space podcast. “It’s a huge part of people’s potential for retirement and future nest egg.”
The best way to maintain this value is to let in record number of immigrants.

Here is a quote from Maximilien Roy, VP of the industry lobby group Restaurant Canada "We need to have international students coming in. It's a key group working in the industry for us." Immigrants bring in money, no matter how small. They need bank accounts (RBC, CIBC, BMO, TD..), phone lines (Telus, Rogers...) etc.

So here are my two cents about this issue. Please note that these reflect my opinion and are not necessarily the objective truth.

1) The interest groups behind this record immigration are non partisan - if it were the Cons, the-same will happen. There is only one anti immigration party in Canada and I will not bother to name it.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/understanding-the-changing-ratio-of-working-age-canadians-to-seniors-and-its-consequences

2) Things have moved from the realm of what is proper/ethical/right. It is now about 'what favors me'. I will give an example of this. In the next 24hours the City of Saskatoon will vote whether to accept or reject the federal government Home Accelerator Funding - this is tailored towards building apartments along BRT routes. The question is, why would they even consider rejecting free money to build homes when the city is being plagued by historically low housing availability in the face of record influx?
There will be stiff opposition against accepting this from the FG. This stems from the fear of devaluation that comes from building apartment complex beside "these people's" 500k homes.

3) So I have moved to the realm of conspiracy theory now. You see, record immigration depresses wages. This is the blood stained claws of Capitalism. The employer prefer more people being available for the few available positions. The employer prefer 24/7 availability for a casual or temporary position - there are less responsibilities on the part of the employer to the employee with regards to a part time/casual position. These are only possible when there are more people.
In the face of rising inflation, it is intuitive for workers to demand for an increment in wages and working conditions. This is happening in various jurisdictions for unionized professions. But for those 'other jobs' (yes, you know the jobs I am referring to) na OYO o!

4) This situation is perfect for the movers and shakers of this country and if it were the Cons in power, the-same would have happened. The lobby groups finance the various political parties and it is perfectly legal. Yes, it's looking likely that the Libs will be kicked out but I doubt if things will change even with the new party.
My brother/sister, make we shine our eyes. Be ye wise as serpents and meek as doves.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by affoncad: 9:08pm On Jun 26
ferfer:

The influx of immigrants serve a purpose. Let us ask ourselves, who are the greatest beneficiaries of this influx? Food, clothing and accommodation represent the bare necessities for anyone's survival. And there is arguable proof that by letting in the record number of immigrants, the economy is doing well.

Loblaw Companies (owner of grocery chains Real Canadian Superstore, Wholesale, Independent Grocer, Shoppers Drug Mart) reported a first-quarter 2024 revenue of $13.58 billion, a 4.5% increase from the previous year, and a quarterly profit of $459 million, a 9.8% increase.
During Dollarama’s latest quarterly conference call, CEO Neil Rossy called Canada’s growing population a “driver in the future.” The Montreal-based company sells a wide assortment of discount household essentials like knives, forks, pots and pans through more than 1,500 stores across Canada. BMO Capital Markets estimates nearly a third of Dollarama’s 2025 same-store sales growth will come from “elevated levels of immigration into Canada.”

And the Prime Minister was on record saying that they need the housing situation to stay that way to maintain the retirement nest egg of the older generation. Let me quote him - “Housing needs to retain its value,” Mr. Trudeau told The Globe and Mail’s City Space podcast. “It’s a huge part of people’s potential for retirement and future nest egg.”

Here is a quote from Maximilien Roy, VP of the industry lobby group Restaurant Canada "We need to have international students coming in. It's a key group working in the industry for us." Immigrants bring in money, no matter how small. They need bank accounts (RBC, CIBC, BMO, TD..), phone lines (Telus, Rogers...) etc.

So here are my two cents about this issue. Please note that these reflect my opinion and are not necessarily the objective truth.

1) The interest groups behind this record immigration are non partisan - if it were the Cons, the-same will happen. There is only one anti immigration party in Canada and I will not bother to name it.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/understanding-the-changing-ratio-of-working-age-canadians-to-seniors-and-its-consequences

2) Things have moved from the realm of what is proper/ethical/right. It is now about 'what favors me'. I will give an example of this. In the next 24hours the City of Saskatoon will vote whether to accept or reject the federal government Home Accelerator Funding - this is tailored towards building apartments along BRT routes. The question is, why would they even consider rejecting free money to build homes when the city is being plagued by historically low housing availability in the face of record influx?
There will be stiff opposition against accepting this from the FG. This stems from the fear of devaluation that comes from building apartment complex beside "these people's" 500k homes.

3) So I have moved to the realm of conspiracy theory now. You see, record immigration depresses wages. This is the blood stained claws of Capitalism. The employer prefer more people being available for the few available positions. The employer prefer 24/7 availability for a casual or temporary position - there are less responsibilities on the part of the employer to the employee with regards to a part time/casual position. These are only possible when there are more people.
In the face of rising inflation, it is intuitive for workers to demand for an increment in wages and working conditions. This is happening in various jurisdictions for unionized professions. But for those 'other jobs' (yes, you know the jobs I am referring to) na OYO o!

4) This situation is perfect for the movers and shakers of this country and if it were the Cons in power, the-same would have happened. The lobby groups finance the various political parties and it is perfectly legal. Yes, it's looking likely that the Libs will be kicked out but I doubt if things will change even with the new party.
My brother/sister, make we shine our eyes. Be ye wise as serpents and meek as doves.

Your analysis touches on several important points about immigration and its impact on the economy. Here are a few key takeaways and responses:

1)Economic Benefits for Businesses: As you've highlighted, businesses like Loblaw Companies and Dollarama benefit significantly from an influx of immigrants, who contribute to increased consumer demand. This aligns with the idea that a growing population can drive economic growth and profitability for large corporations.

2)Housing Market: The housing market is another area where immigration has a notable impact. Prime Minister Trudeau’s comments underscore the importance of maintaining property values, which can be supported by increased demand from immigrants. However, this also raises concerns about housing affordability and availability for both new and existing residents.

3)Labor Market Dynamics: The quote from Maximilien Roy of Restaurant Canada highlights how crucial immigrants are to certain industries, particularly those reliant on low-wage, flexible labor. This can lead to wage suppression and precarious employment conditions, which benefits employers but can harm workers.

4)Political and Ethical Considerations: Your observation that immigration policy is influenced by economic interests rather than ethical considerations is thought-provoking. The idea that both major parties would likely follow similar policies due to influence from lobby groups suggests a systemic issue rather than a partisan one.

5)Economic Disparities: The concern about immigration driving down wages and creating a surplus labor market points to the broader issue of economic inequality. While businesses and certain segments of society benefit, others may face increased competition for jobs and stagnant wages.

6)Conspiracy Theories and Reality: While it's important to be critical and aware of potential exploitations within the system, it’s also crucial to differentiate between well-supported analyses and conspiracy theories. It's evident that immigration can have complex and multifaceted impacts on the economy, both positive and negative.
while immigration can bring significant benefits to the economy and certain businesses, it also presents challenges such as wage suppression, housing affordability, and increased economic inequality. A balanced approach that considers the needs and rights of all residents is essential for sustainable and equitable growth.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by walenden: 11:32pm On Jun 26
hello, abeg my brother attending cimt college in Toronto and no job since 3 month now and the school fees and rent is neck breaking …please if anybody know any tips or link on how he can get cheaper rent like 200 to 250 per month maximum even if na just bed space around Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton because currently his paying 500 in a shared room which is too much considering the exchange rate from naira to Canadian dollar na young boy…l beg anybody with useful tip should help us ooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jydexaus: 4:17am On Jun 27
[Hello, Is this still available please?
A room for a single female in a two bedroom apartment
Location is North york Toronto, its 20mins walk to nork york centre 5mins by bus to subway station
Rent is $800 utilities inclusive. First and last month required.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 4:27am On Jun 27
250 a month?
walenden:
hello, abeg my brother attending cimt college in Toronto and no job since 3 month now and the school fees and rent is neck breaking …please if anybody know any tips or link on how he can get cheaper rent like 200 to 250 per month maximum even if na just bed space around Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton because currently his paying 500 in a shared room which is too much considering the exchange rate from naira to Canadian dollar na young boy…l beg anybody with useful tip should help us ooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tcrown2020(f): 1:01pm On Jun 27
ferfer:

Very deep analysis
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by walenden: 7:28pm On Jun 27
megastu:
250 a month?

yes, 250 cad is almost 280k in naira . we currently paying almost 570k monthly as 500canadian dollars since 2 month now for my brother house rent ...Canada is not as rosy as it painted online by many blogger .my brother telling me many student in same category as work is currently hard. l do not understand how person will be send money from Nigeria to Canada to pay house rent!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by futureenergy: 9:23pm On Jun 27
walenden:

yes, 250 cad is almost 280k in naira . we currently paying almost 570k monthly as 500canadian dollars since 2 month now for my brother house rent ...Canada is not as rosy as it painted online by many blogger .my brother telling me many student in same category as work is currently hard. l do not understand how person will be send money from Nigeria to Canada to pay house rent!
No matter how it is painted by bloggers, nobody ever painted that rent is $250 per month. In fact, 500 CAD/month is very very cheap around Toronto.
When they said you should have proof of fund, that's what they mean. How can you be lamenting sending money from Nigeria in just 2 months? What was his POF for? Anyway, it's very normal now for an international student to stay 6 months to 1 year in Canada without getting a job.
Best of luck!

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:08pm On Jun 27
futureenergy:

No matter how it is painted by bloggers, nobody ever painted that rent is $250 per month. In fact, 500 CAD/month is very very cheap around Toronto.
When they said you should have proof of fund, that's what they mean. How can you be lamenting sending money from Nigeria in just 2 months? What was his POF for? Anyway, it's very normal now for an international student to stay 6 months to 1 year in Canada without getting a job.
Best of luck!

MatrixReloaded
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maria96: 10:18pm On Jun 27
walenden:

i know someone who knows this person he was told the reality. The school is even a mushroom school that doesn’t qualify for PGWP. He was told but said he will look for another school that has PGWP after completing this one. You have to keep sending him money till he finds something Afterall he submitted proof of funds.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MatrixReloaded: 11:55pm On Jun 27
tensazangetsu20:

MatrixReloaded
Go tell your papa nyash that one .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gerrard59(m): 4:56am On Jun 28
ferfer:

The same mentality holds in almost Anglo-phone countries. They cannot continue like this with low birth rates. It is unsustainable.
It looks like the demise of an empire.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toniro(m): 8:29am On Jun 28
futureenergy:

Best of luck!

True! 500cad is near impossible there.
Hoping he has registered with agencies and online job sites for non- collar jobs or what some call survival jobs pending when corporate ones come in.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JIREN01: 2:25pm On Jun 28
Hello
@Megastu
@Ednut
And any other helpful contributors.
I’ve been able to get an apartment in Hamilton and will be moving to Canada next month. However, since I’ll like to make landing as soft as possible. I’ll like to ask if there’s a way I can start the furnishing of my apartment from outside Canada, such that I can arrive Canada to a finished or almost finished apartment.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 4:23pm On Jun 28
If u have a trusted person he could help out, maybe for a small fee. Also you can land and take care of all in one day. Its not so much to furnish an apartment in Canada as it comes already equipped with stove and fridge.
JIREN01:
Hello
@Megastu
@Ednut
And any other helpful contributors.
I’ve been able to get an apartment in Hamilton and will be moving to Canada next month. However, since I’ll like to make landing as soft as possible. I’ll like to ask if there’s a way I can start the furnishing of my apartment from outside Canada, such that I can arrive Canada to a finished or almost finished apartment.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 4:26pm On Jun 28
500 is if you are sharing with another person. Join our accommodation group. The waiting queue has reduced drastically from around 80 people on queue to 25 or so.
toniro:

True! 500cad is near impossible there.
Hoping he has registered with agencies and online job sites for non- collar jobs or what some call survival jobs pending when corporate ones come in.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kcenyimbk: 4:59pm On Jun 28
Pls has anyone used airfrance of recent and paid excess baggage…
From Nigeria to Canada…
Who knows what the cost is?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toniro(m): 2:06am On Jun 29
megastu:
500 is if you are sharing with another person. Join our accommodation group. The waiting queue has reduced drastically from around 80 people on queue to 25 or so.

lol.
Only responded to conversation. Am kool.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by toniro(m): 2:09am On Jun 29
Kcenyimbk:
Pls has anyone used airfrance of recent and paid excess baggage…
From Nigeria to Canada…
Who knows what the cost is?
In April. Check to ensure it’s not 2 stop over except you have Schengen visa. On excess luggage, it could be available online. I dnt know as I didn’t need it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by geekybabe(f): 5:40am On Jun 30
Wide reach, but if anyone lives in London (ON), kindly reach out or send a PM. Looking to connect with more people around.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by EbenMayor(m): 3:51pm On Jun 30
Good day All,
Hope we are having a restful weekend?
Please I would be in need of accommodation around Seneca College Newnham Campus from the last week of August.
Anyone with a lead should please contact me.
Thanks
ebesho4real@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 4:03pm On Jun 30
Luckybelt:

Will be heading Alberta soon. Quite cheaper than Ontario

Abeg stay in your ontario, go and live with @ednut1.. we don see shege for calgary cos of una. We have stopped calling.

To get house and job in both calgary and Edmonton now na war. Everything is expensive as well.

The days of Alberta is cheap is long gone

Still cheaper than Ontario though but abeg make una stay una ontario. E don do grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 1:11am On Jul 01
geekybabe:
Wide reach, but if anyone lives in London (ON), kindly reach out or send a PM. Looking to connect with more people around.

Haha, nice to see someone from the Forest city. London was my playground before I moved to the West coast. I know the city like the back of my hand and I had most of my evergreen Canadian memories there. Are you in London South, Central or North London?

PS: found some old pics taken in London in my gallery 😆

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: oyetunjibaba, Guest911, affoncad and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.