Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,805 members, 7,872,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:24 PM

Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? (34014 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by TheBoy1740: 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.

Apply for both, whichever works out you go for. Do more research and pondering about them in case both applications are successful before you decide.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:

Work hard nothing is impossible.
I schooled in Nigeria.
Its all lies. $72k a month ?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by UncleJudax(m): 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:
I make over $800,000 dollars a year.
At 40years I am a multi-millionaire ($$)
Reading medicine is not all but its the first step.

I am a doctor.
$800,000 grin

As per the chief medical officer Cedars- Sinai Medical Center.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Evicsholar(f): 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2019
oke48:

I guess you would have to put a condition on this statement PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k .

Even as a PhD student here in Europe, I earn more than what a professor earns in Nigeria. Please always condition your statement, his horizons may be more than what you're assuming. Not everyone would settle for less.

We know money is important but a succesful career is more important for now. If in a way, he finds biochemistry interesting and has a good GP, I could suggest he goes abroad for his MSc and PhD. He won't regret it. I have seen students in his field do extensive research in medical labs. Medicine is far more than just prescribing drugs or carrying out operations for sick patients.
Thank you for this. Your comment inspired mine.

To the OP, identify your passion. Why do you want to study medicine? Growing up, I wanted to be a medical doctor too based on the little information at my disposal but really, I wanted more than sitting in an office, prescribing drugs and going on calls. I actually wanted research, medical research! My passion for research has been my motivation. So know what you really want to do. What are your career goals. Mind you, Google is your friend
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2019

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by mrakeeno: 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2019
EbubeDam:

oga u should know d differences between MPh md master's in environmental public health
please what is the difference?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2019

3 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 9:54pm On Jan 05, 2019
toyetade:

Its all lies. $72k a month ?

Google "Samin sharma salary".
Stay away from self imposed ignorance.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by servercodes001: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2019
oke48:
[s]Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned[/s]

Is finishing a PhD at 26 now an achievement? The main question should be what exactly are your career goals? Why do you want to do a masters and PhD in biochemistry? Why do you want to study medicine? Etc

My candid advice is that provided you're doing very well in biochemistry, you could further your studies or career by exploring an area that bridge both biochemistry and medicine.

If you don't like this, then you can go for your medicine if that's what gives you joy. It's better to do what you naturally have passion for. Better later than never.

Shalom!

most people today are foolishly sleeping and waking up without any goals they're looking up to
The op thought of the prestige and praises he'll get by having pHd at 26yrs which can be a bedrock of failure
I'm happy to see someone that shares my beliefs

3 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by massmedia: 9:56pm On Jan 05, 2019
peteruuu:

Go for medicine bro. We're in this together. I'm a graduate of computer science... And I'm applying for medicine and surgery by His Grace.

Excuse me,, how does medicine and computer science correlate abi na UTME things?
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by oke48(m): 10:02pm On Jan 05, 2019
Alajiki:

Why the abuse? Be civil in driving home your point bro.

Don't mind him bro. Only if he had just a little more atom of sense, he should have also noticed that he never mentioned Nigeria in his first response. I reserve my comments on people like him. Let's keep age and status aside, he is very rude.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by donkaz2(m): 10:02pm On Jan 05, 2019
Calculate the terms if you think you can get good job and have passion for biochemistry stay but if you are very sure saving life's and the smell of blood means well to you plus some sleepless night the medicine is your calling but as for me after studying chemistry and my sister study electrical engineering and seeing the situation of things non of my children will study science

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Dejean: 10:06pm On Jan 05, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.
As someone who has been in your shoes, yet went ahead with medsurg, I'll advice you to ask that question midway through your service year

If you still have a strong resolve to go through with medsurg then, ride on

Send me a pm if you will

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by kitone: 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2019
my advice for you as a doctor is to go and do your masters and phd,its not true that fresh doctor earn 260k ,what is the number of doctors in goverment hospitals,the private owners will use you and pay peanuts,the stress of going back is not worth it unless you are going outside the country.have you asked your self, if the conditions was that good why are most doctors running out of this country.despite all the sacrifice you make for people,your sleepness night,your always being away from your family to care of other peoples family ,you will never be appreciated,they will call you all sorts of name.unless you want to study medicine and travel .at least you will find happiness in what you do.its not all about money.this is my candid opinion

ogawisdom:
No long talk the choice is between PhD in biochemistry vs m b b s. MBBS will be more financially rewarding. A fresh PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k while a fresh Medical doctor employed in a federal medical center earns about 260k. A prof. Earns at most 500k while a medical consultant earns over 850k

After education the next thing is money, more money and much more money otherwise you will be frustrated in life.

The choice is yours

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Dejean: 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2019
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by champman(m): 10:08pm On Jan 05, 2019
Aremson14:

Study very hard and score very high in d entrance exams(post DE) of whichever school u fill in.If d exams are 100℅,aim to score 79 and above and if 400℅ aim to score 335 and above to b sure of admission.I also advise u to choose from federal schools like:Ui,unn,uniben,unilag,oau etc.4 years ago,I also sought this advice from ppl after my graduation(Bsc microbiology) but today I'm in 5th year med&surg in one of d above named schools and I'm not regretting it.However just know that d decision u are abt taking is not going to b easy,good luck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by mechanics(m): 10:14pm On Jan 05, 2019
ogawisdom:
No long talk the choice is between PhD in biochemistry vs m b b s. MBBS will be more financially rewarding. A fresh PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k while a fresh Medical doctor employed in a federal medical center earns about 260k. A prof. Earns at most 500k while a medical consultant earns over 850k

After education the next thing is money, more money and much more money otherwise you will be frustrated in life.
j

The choice is yours
And those doctors are pretending o, they keep demanding for more salary increase.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 10:14pm On Jan 05, 2019
EbubeDam:

Oga pls don't quote me, check differences between environmental public health and public health proper! Don't mislead d young man. And check basic requirements for masters of d two and stop d gibberish.

Basic requirements for MPH (Under Dept of Community Medicine NAU)
Apart from the usual O'level
First degree in medicine MBBS or its equivalent, or other relevant courses. As long as the fellow had a FCGPA of 3.0/5point scale and above in his Bachelor's. Let whatever university he's applying to determine if a degree in BCH is good enough for'em or not.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by UncleJudax(m): 10:15pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:

CMO is an administrative position.
Clinical attendings with high wRVU's are paid more than CMOs.
Ok sir. But you don't earn $800k/annum
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 05, 2019
From 200L to graduation will take you 6 years
From now to Ph.D will take you 5-6 years

Choose the kinda Doctor you want to be called
MD or Ph.D

We need more doctors,
We need more researchers.

In Which way do you wanna contribute your quota to humanity?

6 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 10:19pm On Jan 05, 2019
UncleJudax:

Sometimes even more.
Sorry to disappoint you.

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Holuwathoby(m): 10:20pm On Jan 05, 2019
since you are still young, go for medicine. I promise you it will be worth it.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by malali: 10:21pm On Jan 05, 2019
UncleJudax:

I also earned 11k/month naira as a houseofficer.
when i was in Nigeria.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

Basic requirements for MPH (Under Dept of Community Medicine NAU)
Apart from the usual O'level
First degree in medicine MBBS or its equivalent, or other relevant courses. As long as the fellow had a FCGPA of 3.0/5point scale and above in his Bachelor's. Let whatever university he's applying to determine if a degree in BCH is good enough for'em or not.

What are the other relevant courses Oga?
Oga only MBBS nd Mls(medical microbiology) can go for MPH others are environmental public health
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 10:22pm On Jan 05, 2019
drealzum:

Hello.... I sent you PM.
I will love to talk to you on this masters in public health ish.... Thanks!
Aite Sir.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 05, 2019
mrakeeno:
please what is the difference?

Google will so much help u
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by oke48(m): 10:23pm On Jan 05, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

How do you earn that sir?

By working ?

Yes, by working as a researcher. I am currently doing PhD studies under a German government scholarship. I actually didn't want to point out the monetary aspect, I only wanted that guy to know that there are lots of things Nigerian youths these days don't know. They are misinformed and they can't even use the internet to inform themselves well.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by omojeesu(m): 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2019
arinzos:

Go for Medicine or Allied Medical courses(Incase Medicine is not forthcoming).
I would have Adviced you go for your MSc and PhD if you are very sure to do them abroad.Here in Nigeria is a No No for me.

Follow your heart. Follow your passion. But don't forget common sense. Don't waste your time. Your time is your life remaining. No matter what add some self education. Remember jobs are scarce even for doctors and Phd holders.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 10:31pm On Jan 05, 2019
EbubeDam:

What are the other relevant courses Oga?
Oga only MBBS nd Mls(medical microbiology) can go for MPH others are environmental public health
Then there'd be no harm if the young man made his own enquiries. He would be in a better position to make informed choices. If he's interested in unizik, he can walk into their school of post graduate studies and ask all the questions he wants. The young man obviously wants direction and I gave some pointers. Let d Dept determine what disciplines are "relevant". You don't own a university, neither do I.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by omojeesu(m): 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2019
Follow your heart. Follow your passion. But don't forget common sense. Don't waste your time. Your time is your life remaining. No matter what add some self education. Remember jobs are scarce even for doctors and Phd holders.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2019
Neddyogu:

Then there'd be no harm if the young man made his own enquiries. He would be in a better position to make informed choices. If he's interested in unizik, he can walk into their school of post graduate studies and ask all the questions he wants. The young man obviously wants direction and I gave some pointers. Let d Dept determine what disciplines are "relevant". You don't own a university, neither do I.

my bad fir trying to clear you, dts y Africans wont grow.
Well Im a jnr reg in one of the teaching hospital in 9ja.
I hv my facts

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by UncleJudax(m): 10:35pm On Jan 05, 2019
malali:

Sometimes even more.
Sorry to disappoint you.
Hahahaha. What happens on the internet, should indeed stay on the internet.

Ciao

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUTA Student, Chinwe Ugoh-Vivian Missing / Ibrahim, Hauwa & Eman Indimi Graduate With MBAs From Lynn University (Photos) / How Universities Will Conduct Admission This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.