Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,181 members, 7,887,423 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:44 AM

BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU (2525 Views)

No Agreement Yet With ASUU - FG / ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG / No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Ecstasy154(m): 4:37pm On Jan 09, 2019
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Wednesday debunked the latest claim by the Federal Government to have reached an agreement with the union over their lingering differences, saying the claim is not true.

The President of ASUU, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, refuted the claim in an exclusive conversation with TribuneOnline.

According to him, the negotiations between both parties in still inconclusive as the team that represented ASUU at the meeting has no final say concerning the decision making as a body on matters of such magnitude.

He explained that what they had on ground now is a proposal from the government which ASUU insisted must be written down showing her plans of action unlike all along since the commencement of the two-month-old strike that government always made verbal proposals.

It will be recalled that their last meeting happened to be the seventh time they held meetings over their differences without tangible outcome from the previous meetings.

Speaking further, Prof Ogunyemi said, “it was just yesterday (Tuesday) that government sent the proposal to us without waiting for feedback before going to the public that we have reached an agreement. ASUU does not operate in that manner.”

“The ASUU team that met the Federal Government,” he noted, “would have to consult our principal over the proposal which we are already doing.”

He disclosed that the said principal represents various organs of ASUU who will in turn pass any resolution at that level on to the National Executive Committee and then, final decision can be made.

“So, ASUU cannot make pronouncement on a mere proposal. Until our principal agrees, there is no agreement. And that is what we have always emphasised to government that we are going to consult our members and if after consultation, our members think the proposal is good enough, we will get back to government and tell them that now, we have taken a decision which becomes an agreement. But so far on government proposal, we have not taken a decision. And our strike is still ongoing,” he said.

But when asked if there were grey areas in the proposal that would need consultation, he said ASUU might not bother about further consultation on issues that are very clear.

Giving examples, he said: “If you say you are going to set up a committee and you have set up that committee, that one is clear. And if you say you are going to pay certain money for certain purpose and you have paid, that will not also cause further argument. But where we said you should release certain amount of money in five tranches within certain period of time, and you are saying well, you have paid N20 billion, or you have paid N2 billion or N15. 4 billion, it means you haven’t started.

“So, that is the level we are now. And we don’t have a final say on any proposal that is controversial. But for areas that are not controversial as I had mentioned, we will only need to confirm payment. If paid, fine. It then means that one is settled and we now move to another one that is yet to be settled. And the one that is not settled we will need to take feedback to our members and that is the position we are at the moment.”

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/182695/

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Danjuma827(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2019
What Kind of Nonsense is this? Yet they have an agreement with INEC. Useless set of people

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 09, 2019
Danjuma827:
What Kind of Nonsense is this? Yet they have an agreement with INEC. Useless set of people

Reading is not a difficult task.

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by BiGVEEN58(m): 5:09pm On Jan 09, 2019
Lol. I know.
Fg want to put words in their mouth. The strike fit reach May.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Lorazepam(f): 5:34pm On Jan 09, 2019
Which kine wahala be this one angry
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by bukas15(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2019
Abeg who get smail pin chrager for here?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by justflow1(m): 5:41pm On Jan 09, 2019
ASUU bikonu
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Soneh(m): 5:43pm On Jan 09, 2019
This govt no serious wallahi. So no agreement was reached and the govt came claiming an agreement has been reached. With the government being insincere, this strike might probably linger longer than i earlier thought.
Make I go find something do till when them dey ready to call off the strike.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Harpyeagle(m): 5:59pm On Jan 09, 2019
Soneh:
This govt no serious wallahi. So no agreement was reached and the govt came claiming an agreement has been reached. With the government being insincere, this strike might probably linger longer than i earlier thought.
Make I go find something do till when them dey ready to call off the strike.
As in eh... Just what is in my mind.
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by kozmokaz(m): 6:01pm On Jan 09, 2019
Lol
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by THUNDER4real(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2019
ASUU Don't allow Buhari to play politics with you guys, I wish NLC leaders will come and learn

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by krishfwesh(m): 6:36pm On Jan 09, 2019
And most of us are believing this, let come to think of it. I f FG have not reach an agreement with ASUU will channel t.v broadcast it. Let just hope till weekend sha
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by holuwamosey(m): 6:37pm On Jan 09, 2019
Smchhhhh
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Yello1(m): 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2019
ASUU is using logic. Fg is using propaganda. Let's see how it ends
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Richdad50(m): 7:02pm On Jan 09, 2019
A shameful dance
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Fidelismaria: 7:19pm On Jan 09, 2019
angry angry

Chai

See my life

And I don dey happy ooo

What a fvcked up country
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by frankline461: 7:29pm On Jan 09, 2019
When some people comment and say what these guys are doing is for the benefit of Nigerian educational sector and the student body, I sigh and hope that one day we get enlightenment. These guys are after nothing but their pockets, they keep on going on several headless strikes just to satisfy their personal needs, keeping students at home.

Most of their children are not in public Universities, and that is why they are not bothered by it. They said they want an improvement in the education of the country, but they are also part of the things dragging the educational sector down. They are just another sets of corrupt politicians.

This country is not ready for anything, right now, not even to bear its name. I pray one day we will get ourselves out of the mess we placed ourselves, and pray that we don't drown before we do

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 09, 2019
O lord of host what kind of stuff is this na

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by kaycexx(m): 9:07pm On Jan 09, 2019
May I never use my tears to wash my leg...

ASUU and FG, I swearugad you both are stup*d.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Elzak(m): 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2019
Oh! Lorrrrrrrrrd

Why have you forsaken us?
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by ZandaBright: 9:45pm On Jan 09, 2019
Nigeria is the worst country to live in the world.Everything is politics for us here.Unfortunately these fools have their children schooling abroad..enjoying our collective resources. As an Undergraduate, I suffered strikes for months....8 years after as a postgraduate student I am still facing strike.May I never be a Nigerian if there is a second world to come!. Both the government and ASUU should be ashamed of themselves. God will find it difficult to forgive those who have just chosen to make life difficult and meaningless for the citizens of this country!
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 09, 2019
Oboy,, these people don nack me correct maga
Chaii,, how do I explain at home dat de strike has started again cry cry cry
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by sundayoga(m): 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2019
Noted
Re: BREAKING: Strike: We Have No Agreement Yet With FG ― ASUU by nedubest(m): 12:23am On Jan 10, 2019
what do we belive now?

(1) (Reply)

Glasgow Based Nigerian Mother Of Four, CHINYERE OGUNDORO Set On FIRE By Husband / See What Philippines Students Put On To Prevent Cheating During Exams / Remember Nollywood Star, Paw Paw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.