Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,974 members, 7,942,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 10:58 AM

How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread (44798 Views)

Boost Your Chances Of Getting Employed With Honeytreat Academy Trade Certificate / 5 Obstacles That Could Be Hindering You From Getting A Job / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by flourishing247: 6:23am On Jan 17, 2019
SocialJustice:
Lol, ok. I won't employ a candidate I consider less worthy though over more eligible ones.

I find it disturbing that she was judged by her physical appearance. Nothing about her intellectual ability. Naija Sha. The employer was just intimidated

1 Like

Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by SocialJustice: 6:35am On Jan 17, 2019
flourishing247:

I find it disturbing that she was judged by her physical appearance. Nothing about her intellectual ability. Naija Sha. The employer was just intimidated
Lol, probably. We were not there, so having a full grasp of the situation is impossible.

1 Like

Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by AZeD1(m): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2019
larryking540:

I really don't think u kw the meaning of inferiority complex because if u do u wouldn't use dat term, wen u have an interview again, y don't u go shopping for new expensive cloths with blings and Louis Vuitton shoe and even borrow ur father's car and ask me who has inferiority complex, is it u or the manager, ?

U don't have any business, u can't even feed for ur self,or even a family for 1 week without squeezing ur face and u are saying someone who has a business running with u looking for a position to work with them has inferiority complex,most of u come online and post rubbish of wat u can't do offline (lion online, cat offline) ,,i pray god helps ur soul, ,day first talk say graduate too day proud with nothing to show and u are a classical example of 1

Oga if its not inferiority complex worrying you, how did you arrive at this
Some people don't know, ,,,u want a job of 50k or 100k and u drove a lexus jeep to d interview, for me I see it as trying to make a gest at the other applicants or even d manager
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Tellemall: 8:22am On Jan 17, 2019
Elxandre:
if not for poverty in NIgeria, what's flashy about Apple watches that High school kids wear in civilized countries?

Do you know how the high school kids pay for them?
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 17, 2019
SocialJustice:
That possibility exists mostly in Nollywood. A sensible rich girl knows her paraphernalia can cost her a job especially if she has a point to prove. You only go to a job with your chauffeur driven, hidden number Lexus when daddy has called his friend and his friend wants you to come see the place before you resume not when you are a corper searching for PPA.

LOL. This is silly. I have managed a couple of rich kids, and to be frank, they were the most dilligent, and dedicated Staff ever. Because they come from priviledged back-grounds, a number of them already put themselves under pressure to measure up to their parents achievements plus the exposure they have gotten from the home-front means you get more than just someone to do slightly administrative stuff / simple tasks for you - for instance, someone whose father regularly has meetings with investors, would know a thing or two about that, and they have unfiltered access to great mentors - their parents, and their network of friends. Oh, less I forget, even you the boss can tap into taking advantage of their parents network if you play your cards right.

The possible downside is that they cant be threatened cos their lives do not end on your job, but then again, why should you have to threaten people's livelihoods to get the results you need - shouldnt you rather resort to positive motivation and coaching?

2 Likes

Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 17, 2019
larryking540:

With looking flashy as if u are d celebrant of the interview day, ,,,dude come on sometimes u just have to look office wise, ,,u could have also said wearing bra and pant to church doesn't mean u are a sinner

If not for the low self esteem of the manager, how is wearing an apple watch and having an iphone 'flashy'? Not rolex ooo.
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 17, 2019
ASPIREX:
Read tongue all the shadesof opinion above and something struck me.

Many posters simply jumped to conclusins without cobsidering what specifics the Company management may have given the HR person to seek out for.

Decisions made by a recruiter are so decisive that the outcomes can make or undo a company.

A typical private company and its prevalent culture is built around the personality and character traits of the promoter(s).

The scenario painted above depicts a private company setting that thrives on action and targets. Please note that what they were seeking is a "Youth Corper" and not a manager. Whas the point in hiring someone you know will definitely be a misfit?

A business has profits as its primary motive . Only those who are perceived to be able todeliver on set goals should hired. Its a professional decision based on psychologial underpinings and not a moral barometer.

Nahh. I also do HR; there was no sense behind that decision. A number of respected Asset Management / PE firms in Nigeria are havens of the exact sort of candidate described, and trust me, they dont come more target-oriented than PE boys. IF you doubt me, spend an afternoon looking through the profiles of young people in top firms.
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 17, 2019
larryking540:

I really don't think u kw the meaning of inferiority complex because if u do u wouldn't use dat term, wen u have an interview again, y don't u go shopping for new expensive cloths with blings and Louis Vuitton shoe and even borrow ur father's car and ask me who has inferiority complex, is it u or the manager, ?

U don't have any business, u can't even feed for ur self,or even a family for 1 week without squeezing ur face and u are saying someone who has a business running with u looking for a position to work with them has inferiority complex,most of u come online and post rubbish of wat u can't do offline (lion online, cat offline) ,,i pray god helps ur soul, ,day first talk say graduate too day proud with nothing to show and u are a classical example of 1

Wearing an apple watch and having an iPhone is blinging up - seriously? Has it also occurred to you that the reason she has a Lexus picking her up is cos she doesn't own a car, hence her parents volunterred their's? I can tell you for a fact, the recruiter has a complex; I work in the HR space too, and have seen quite a number of folks that think like that.
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Sagewilliam(m): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2019
A food for thought.
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by SocialJustice: 9:33am On Jan 17, 2019
Bagehot:

LOL. This is silly. I have managed a couple of rich kids, and to be frank, they were the most dilligent, and dedicated Staff ever. Because they come from priviledged back-grounds, a number of them already put themselves under pressure to measure up to their parents achievements plus the exposure they have gotten from the home-front means you get more than just someone to do slightly administrative stuff / simple tasks for you - for instance, someone whose father regularly has meetings with investors, would know a thing or two about that, and they have unfiltered access to great mentors - their parents, and their network of friends. Oh, less I forget, even you the boss can tap into taking advantage of their parents network if you play your cards right.

The possible downside is that they cant be threatened cos their lives do not end on your job, but then again, why should you have to threaten people's livelihoods to get the results you need - shouldnt you rather resort to positive motivation and coaching?
You got lucky, definitely not from my area. All they want to do is eat, sleep, party and do drugs. It's not even a location matter. How many kids follow their parents to the boardroom?

I get your point though and it makes no sense to threaten. I give you a job and hand you milestones broken into SMART goals. You either deliver or go. No threats. My businesses are still too small to carry deadweight. No business should actually.
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Codes151(m): 10:11am On Jan 17, 2019
Typical foolish Nigerian mentality
Re: How A Youth Corper’s ‘richness’ Hindered Her From Getting Employed #thread by Yuceeluv(f): 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2019
Guy I weak but I come wise.

ikbnice:
Jesus! Na by force to spend salary ni

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Solidhire Invitation For Online Test @PHEDC. / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses / Checkout 20 Things Recruiters Do Not Want To See On Your CV

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.