Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,500 members, 7,929,632 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 06:17 PM

‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! (523 Views)

I Will Soon Launch My Foundation; Obasanjo Wanted Third Term – Jonathan Opens Up / Obasanjo Wanted Kagame To Rule Congo - Wikileaks (obj's Diplomatic Style) / Obasanjo wanted me to cry or— Rasheed Ladoja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! by wales(m): 5:53am On Aug 17, 2010
Former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, yesterday stated that it was the struggle for power that caused the rift between him and former president, Olusegun Obasanjo.

According to him, “It was the struggle for power. But me, I was not struggling for myself; I was struggling for the people.” The presidential aspirant, who spoke at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja, while responding to questions from journalists, stated that Mr. Obasanjo had jokingly told him when they assumed office that he (Obasanjo) was puzzled that Mubarak (Egyptian president), Ghadaffi (Libyan president) and Eyadema (Togolese president) were still in office 20 years after he left them in office in 1979.

Mr. Abubakar said in his response to Mr. Obasanjo he had said “Mr. President, Nigeria is a different country. It is not Egypt, it is not Libya, you just have to go.”

The former vice president stated that had Nigerians not stood up against the former president, he would have wanted to remain in office in perpetuity, like other African leaders.

“I knew Baba was not looking for third term; Baba was looking for life presidency.”

Wasted Power funds

While commenting on his involvement in the billions of dollars spent on power during the Obasanjo administration, the former vice president denied any culpability in the management of the funds.

He explained that the National Council on Privatisation under him had contacted an audit firm in 2002. The firm presented a comprehensive report on the reform of the power sector, which included establishment of small and medium power stations all over the country to be funded by the private sector.

“The minister of power submitted a different report recommending the use of N650 million to revamp the old power stations. He decided to accept the minister’s recommendation and released the money. The money went down the drain,” Mr. Abubakar stated.

“I know of a contractor who was paid $1.8 billion upfront and till today, he has not delivered. When Umaru’s administration came on board, they paid more money,” he stated, reiterating that he was never involved in the management of the funds.

I will run Nigeria like a business

While commenting on how he would generate funds for his various programmes if elected, Mr. Abubakar stated that, “I am going to run this country like a business enterprise.”

The presidential aspirant explained that the country is continually in debt as “all our capital expenditures are being funded with bonds.” He lamented that the country could not even fund the money approved for INEC and had to resort to sale of bonds for it.

Mr. Abubakar, while citing the example of Dubai, said that the private sector needed to be encouraged to invest in the economy: “you must give as many incentives as possible to encourage people to bring their money.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5607517-146/obasanjo_wanted_life_presidency__.csp

Re: ‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! by wales(m): 9:08am On Aug 17, 2010
This character can only operate in Nigeria where the investigative journalists are sleeping. Wonder why nobody is talking about his history of corruption-- From customs till date. May be Nigerians will wake up by the time he repeats Abacha show. Hear him boast of being the highest employer of labor in Adamawa. He want's to run Nigeria like a business. Lots of luck!
Re: ‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 17, 2010
Hahahaha Atiku foolish old man wants to run Nigeria like a business. Like his personal business, i guess
Re: ‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! by shanda(m): 8:15am On Aug 18, 2010
This old rotten gay is still talking. Shit!!
Re: ‘Obasanjo Wanted Life Presidency’ ! by wales(m): 8:19am On Aug 18, 2010
His he just waking up from his sleep grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Problem With Measuring The Nigerian Economy / Animated Image Of Which Way Nigeria / Kidnapping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.