Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,324 members, 7,940,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 10:05 PM

Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? (10887 Views)

7 Reasons To Return Home To Nigeria / FG Orders Airport Remodelling Contractors To Return N17.6bn / Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by seedord247(m): 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2010
Going back to darkness from Light? huh
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by IykeD1(m): 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2010
@Buzugee

AHHH my brother very unfair and nonparallel comparison  Grin  the suitable comparison will be if you gave every nigerian 2 million pounds will they still want to go abroad ? i suspect a resounding 'NO' will be the answer.
and with respect to your friends who you say are doing good in nigeria but still want to check out, they fall into 2 categories

1, they are not doing as good as you think they are doing. i know plenty people who are doing well in nigeria. they come to london and america for 3 weeks holiday to chill and shop. they dont nurse aspirations to leave their good life and run abroad to start all over. i think your friends are misrepresenting their situation to you.

2, your friend is still  'starstruck' by america and britain. this is an unfortunate mindset to have because until you realise that dream of living in america, you will never be happy in your life in nigeria no matter how good you are doing. this mindset used to happen alot in the eighties and nineties prior to the proliferation of the internet, youtube, facebook etc. reason being that all your illusions about america are imagined in your head. the fact that you dont see it but imagine it even makes the illusion more enticing. everybody wanted to go to london or america back then. we were all 'starstruck' by america and britain. BUT TO HAVE THAT MINDSET IN 2010 is very pathetic. with youtube and facebook and the internet you can beam yourself into any part of america and see how they actually live. see all the crime, the homelessness, racism, black suffering, black struggle, police brutality, trailer parkliving etc. you can imagine you are in america and just watch it all day. i think your friend is childish if he has it made in naija but still nurses the ambition to travel to america. he is still starstruck.

I understand your point about the unfair comparison between visas and 2 million pounds, but my point was just as you have some
Nigerians who are stuck abroad and who may hop back home in a minute with that kind of money, there are millions of Nigeria at home who will catch the next flight out of Nigeria if armed with simply a US or UK visa.  Its all about their realities and how they perceive the other side Atlantic to be.  Come to think of it, don't be so sure that "suffering" Nigerians abroad will rush home if given
2 million pounds.  Now, for sure they will visit more often, but 2 million pounds is more than enough money for most people to live a very comfortable life anywhere in the world.

As for my friends, trust me they are as real as it gets.  One works for a major Oil company and probably earns close to about N20million a year in total compensation.  The other works for the dominant Telecom outfit in Nigeria and earns close to about N12million. One lived in the US for 2 years trying to get his Masters and still come to visit every other year. The one that works
for the oil company comes about twice a year. They are not star-struck, they simply realize each time that in-spite of how well
they are doing back home, life can still be better and more comfortable. Not saying its perfect over here, but pretending otherwise
is like pretending not to see how lives of Lagosians are being transformed by the actions of Fashola in the areas of infrastructural development.

I mean if things are so great in Nigeria why would some of them want their kids to be given birth to overseas? Why would virtually every rich person in Nigeria want to be flown abroad when they are sick (have  you forgotten Yar Adua so soon)? Why will most of those with the means want their children to attend Universities abroad?  I know we love Nigeria because its our place of birth, but lets not pretend as if these things don't exist.  I won't pretend that I didn't know that it took my mom about 12 hours to fly from the US to Lagos, but it took her about 12 hours to travel by road from Lagos to Benin! Access to medical care is enough reason to give anyone with little children pause about relocating to Nigeria.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by axeman85(m): 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2010
For those that wants to go home, good andd for those that dont then better. BUT we should stop comlaining and sing lack of electricity, bad roads, a no light as an excuse. majority of us were born and grew up in 9ja and by luck, or betterment of families moved abroad. all these things we have experienced so saying because you have been abroad and looking down on 9ja and making these things as an excuse is nothing.

majority of people dont wanna go back because they have nothing to show for donkey years living abroad, no education, no better work experience. instead na kpeke, ode aperin, ticket inspector, na im dem dey go do london. majority prefer to stay here just to hde face, because nothing nothing dey for them for 9ja.

At the end of the day is someone has an okay job in 9ja and cut the cloth according to your material then you will be ok. i know someone who after degree went back to 9ja asap, got a job paying 150k per month after tax and living ok. better than when he was in the uk, after paying rent, council tax, e,t,c, you cant even enjoy a cold bottle of star.

majority of nigerians are sufferring here big time, most of them have taken overdraft, credit cards, loans and used it to go and do big boy and girl in 9ja so people believe that there are loaded, and now tha the economy is bad and no more acccess to all these peeks anymore they cant go back because people will see the broke backside, bad credit assess they are.

i work in a bank here and i know the amount of nigerians i speak to on a daily basis who come to see me for financial advice, and start crying asking me to help them as they have nothing.

and before una say, yes i am ok here but nevertheless. i am going back to 9ja as soon as i get a well paid job. i came here to study, gain work experience and since i have achieved this i see no reasons to stay here any longer.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 3:06am On Aug 25, 2010
axeman85:

amount of nigerians i speak to on a daily basis who come to see me for financial advice, and start crying asking me to help them as they have nothing.

and before una say, yes i am ok here but nevertheless. i am going back to 9ja as soon as i get a well paid job. i came here to study, gain work experience and since i have achieved this i see no reasons to stay here any longer.
surprising that you even left Nigerioa to achieve those things
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by davidif: 6:22am On Aug 25, 2010
AngieFan:

Nigerians and their 'HEAVY CASH FLOW'! Please tell me what use is a heavy cash flow when the quality of life is dire? The stress of sorting out and paying for every single basic amenity yourself from books for your child because there are no libraries available and making sure the generator is adequately filled with petrol because NEPA will inevitably take the light. . .The list is endless. Yes with a 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' one can buy a decent car but are there decent roads to drive on? And what if one doesn't feel like driving? Is there decent safe public transport to go on? And don't get me started on the amount of time it takes one to travel to work. . .getting up at 4 in the morning to beat the traffic and returning home at 11pm only to repeat the process again the next day. What quality of life is that with your 'HEAVY CASH FLOW?' Then after you live like that you eventually die and are buried without the 'HEAVY CASH FLOW' that you value above all things, BULLSHYT!

I would rather pay my monthly stipend, that is TAXES and enjoy the benefits of a decent stress free life. If my kids need books they can borrow them at the local libraries, if they want to do swim, play tennis or kick a football in a real park there are local amenities provided. They will not have the stress of thinking of if there will be light when they get home. They won't suffer the stress of traveling on potholed roads. If I don't feel like driving to another city because I have work to catch up on do I can easily to get a train equipped with wireless so I can connect and do my work, no stress. I easily go to the Supermarket at 1am in the morning if need be without checki g my back for armed robbers. Yes at the end of the month I may not have as much disposable income but I will have piece of mind and when I eventually die my life would not have been unnecessarily stressful had it been if I lived in Nigeria.

GBAM!!! ORI E PE! YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2010
Home is where the heart is - home means different things to different people.

As for Nigerians in the UK / US doing menial jobs, that's a laugh! That assumption's so played out, it's untrue. I know a lot of Nigerians in the UK doing extremely well, they make me proud to associate with them. In the same vein, there are Nigerians in Nigeria doing menial jobs too.

Besides, there's dignity in labour. It's those Nigerian snobs that look down their snotty beaks that make it seem those that do menial jobs, are worse than something they trod in. In the UK / US, no one cares what you do for a living - you're more likely to be discriminated against for doing small, part-time "menial" jobs by a fellow Nigerian, than a Caucasian. Another reason some Nigerians prefer to stay away from Nigeria. A lot will say, "I'm only here to get my education, once I'm through, I'm back to make Nigeria better." Lol. I've heard this from a lot of Nigerians here, some over 15 years back.

Guess what? They're still here, living well, and earning a decent crust. Life isn't all about money, it's all about being where you feel good, not about buying 4 SUV's to park in your gated fortress in Ikoyi, when you can only drive one at any given time! There are Nigerians in lets say, VGC, living in huge mansions, running 6 cars, 4 house helps excluding Maiguard and Driver. Is all this needed? Then there are similar Nigerians living in the UK / US, a lot better off, but choose to be practical, and live in a 3/4 bedroom house, and run just 2 cars (his 'n hers). Isn't that enough? Does this mean that the Nigerian in VGC with all the outward display of wealth is better off?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 7:36am On Aug 25, 2010
Iyke-D:

@Buzugee

I understand your point about the unfair comparison between visas and 2 million pounds, but my point was just as you have some
Nigerians who are stuck abroad and who may hop back home in a minute with that kind of money, there are millions of Nigeria at home who will catch the next flight out of Nigeria if armed with simply a US or UK visa.  Its all about their realities and how they perceive the other side Atlantic to be.  Come to think of it, don't be so sure that "suffering" Nigerians abroad will rush home if given
2 million pounds.  Now, for sure they will visit more often, but 2 million pounds is more than enough money for most people to live a very comfortable life anywhere in the world.

As for my friends, trust me they are as real as it gets.  One works for a major Oil company and probably earns close to about N20million a year in total compensation.  The other works for the dominant Telecom outfit in Nigeria and earns close to about N12million. One lived in the US for 2 years trying to get his Masters and still come to visit every other year. The one that works
for the oil company comes about twice a year. They are not star-struck, they simply realize each time that in-spite of how well
they are doing back home, life can still be better and more comfortable. Not saying its perfect over here, but pretending otherwise
is like pretending not to see how lives of Lagosians are being transformed by the actions of Fashola in the areas of infrastructural development.

I mean if things are so great in Nigeria why would some of them want their kids to be given birth to overseas? Why would virtually every rich person in Nigeria want to be flown abroad when they are sick (have  you forgotten Yar Adua so soon)? Why will most of those with the means want their children to attend Universities abroad?  I know we love Nigeria because its our place of birth, but lets not pretend as if these things don't exist.  I won't pretend that I didn't know that it took my mom about 12 hours to fly from the US to Lagos, but it took her about 12 hours to travel by road from Lagos to Benin! Access to medical care is enough reason to give anyone with little children pause about relocating to Nigeria.
your friend is making $200,000 dollars per annum in naija and he is nursing the ambition to go to america ? grin grin grin that ya fren needs to be flogged with koboko.
ok with that kind of money in naija first off he needs to move to a gated community in victoria island. dunno what his problem is sha grin
somehow i think he is just hell-bent on living in yankee. he has been watching too many puff daddy and lil wayne videos grin
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 7:45am On Aug 25, 2010
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by AngieFan(f): 7:55am On Aug 25, 2010
Siena:

Aye, all good here.  cool

This happened:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-478591.0.html

I saw the thread Siena and it brought a happy tear to my eye. Well done! grin
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 25, 2010
^^^ Thanks, Angie. smiley
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 25, 2010
buzugee:

your friend is making $200,000 dollars per annum in naija and he is nursing the ambition to go to america ? grin grin grin that ya fren needs to be flogged with koboko.
ok with that kind of money in naija first off he needs to move to a gated community in victoria island. dunno what his problem is sha grin
somehow i think he is just hell-bent on living in yankee. he has been watching too many puff daddy and lil wayne videos grin

Proof that what I posted above is valid.

There's more to life than making tons of money, and living in a house so huge, you'll need a scooter to get down the mile-long corridor from one wing to the other! grin
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by chika98: 8:27am On Aug 25, 2010
Siena:

Proof that what I posted above is valid.

There's more to life than making tons of money, and living in a house so huge, you'll need a scooter to get down the mile-long corridor from one wing to the other! grin

He heeeee na to fly okada be that grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by ada24: 8:33am On Aug 25, 2010
There are many reasons why people are reluctant to return home, for those with young children their reasons will differ to those who are single and starting out in life, to those who are nearing retirement.

Lets be honest Nigeria is only enjoyable if you have money - as someone who has grown up in a society where healthcare is free to all at the point of contact I find it very disturbing that people who do not have the financial means to good healthcare can die from very preventable health problems and people are not given information on how to prevent health problems cos hospitals both private and government don't provide free educational leaflets for patients but are more worried about ensuring you pay your deposit before treatment.

I find it disturbing that young children are selling all kinds of things on trays on their head from daybreak to sunset to help their parents feed them instead of spending time in school getting an education.

yes someone can be working for an oil company and earning N20million but that same person will still send their kids to school abroad, seek medical attention abroad even in India. I don't know about you but I find it a bit weird that if you live well in Nigeria u are fearful of armed robbers or kidnappers, and living with a massive security presence (mopo and electric fencing around your house).

Even this culture that people talk about and morals - don't make me laugh.

There are good things about Nigeria but please lets not forget we are approaching 2011, I don't know how people think things I am an
about to list are not important, like constant water and electricity, good roads, a society that gives all opportunity to progress no matter who u know or who ur father is, well equipped schools and hospitals, politicians working for the people and not what percentage their quaterly increase in salary should be, a society where women and children have rights and the police protect and serve.

Not all Nigerians who live abroad grew up in Nigeria and they have every right to complain about these things. Yes you can get all these things I have mentioned above but only if you have the money to provide it. Why everything has to boil down to money in naija is another topc for another day.

All I know is that one can live a safe comfortable life outside nigeria on an okay salary, send their kids to a good school not worried about anyone kidnapping them or their child(ren) cos they happen to have bought a 2010 model SUV and live in a nice house in a nice area. Like I have already mentioned u can also have these things in Nigeria but really how many people live like this out of an estimated 150million.

I'm not here trying to bash nigeria and i'm sure there will be many who will decide to insult or say that i'm talking crap but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Not everyone wants to return home especially if you have a life in another country - its not so easy.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 10:11am On Aug 25, 2010
you people are full of doom and gloom. must have sucked for yall in nigeria  grin like i know people who live in nigeria and when they go for holiday in england, after a few days into a one month holiday they are itching to go back. same for america too, i know tonnes of naija who live in naija who cannot stand to be in america. they love naija so much. lots of people are returning back home. i know a guy who after living 20 years in england went to visit naija. he loved it so much he packed his bags and moved to naija. now he cannot stand england.
my point being if you hate naija so much, you were probably one of the lazy ones who couldnt do for self. you were expexting someone else to do everything for you. get an inverter or a solar panel or generator and generate your own electricity. dig your own borehole and pump your own water. be a government unto yourself. this is the reason why oyinbo always say black people have low IQ. because what you can do for yourself, you expect someone else to do for you, and then when you cannot do it for yourself you run to a country that has already done it. thats why you go to villages in africa and the people are thirsty because they have no water. they are literally dying of thirst. body all emaciated and dehydrated. then oyinbo NGO will send a couple of high school students via peace corp etc and these 2 teenage white boys will go to the village and do what a whole village of black people cannot do. dig a borehole and pump water for the village.
you guys are basically slackers and leeches. you biittccchhh so much about naija when in reality you need to be bitching about your lack of ability to survive in a rich country. you know how many white people are falling all over themselves to relocate to the same naija that you guys think is crap ?
-no offense to anyone. please dont take my rant personal but i had to kick some ballistics up in here  grin

this is why i like the white man. as much as i detest him, i also admire him. a white man will decide, ok i want to go off the grid. i am tired of paying taxes to the govt. then the guy will buy a piece of land in some remote backwood location. he will fell timber with his own saw, and build himself a nice house, with his own hands. then he will build his own solar panel and put it on the house and generate his own power. then he will generate his own water from the ground. very resourceful people they are

be a government to yourself, if schools suck in naija like you say, then homeschool your kids. while the husband is at work, the wife makes an educational curriculum and then home-schools the kid

if traffic is bad as you say, get a scooter and learn how to ride it. it goes nearly as fast as a car

life is an adventure, nothing is handed to you on a platter (which is what all nigerians want). you have to get actively involved in your life. you cant be waiting for people to make things happen for you. you have to make it happen for yourself and make sure you enjoy the process
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by enugu(f): 10:52am On Aug 25, 2010
It is difficult to return home because

1) You are home, so there's nowhere to return to.

2) You've made where you live your home, so there's nowhere to return to.

3) Your heart is where you are, so there's nowhere to return to.

and then on the practical side of things,

1) You enjoy where you live
2) It affords you opportunities which your erstwhile home did not
3) You want to achieve your dreams without dying in the process
4) You want your children to have a better life than you did; a life that you can afford to give without losing yours in the process.
5) You've lived away from your erstwhile home for so long that you can't see yourself adapting back to it
6) Your erstwhile home doesn't offer you what YOU would like it to

Ultimately, your home is where your heart is and if you're home, then there's no home to return to.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Redman44(m): 10:59am On Aug 25, 2010
@Buzugee

As much as I love your comments, I feel you're giving the Nigerian Government an excuse for their ridiculous failure to provide the much needed structure for development. There is no country in the world where the government does not play a role in ensuring the citizens of the countries they govern maintain an acceptable living standard.  I understand your opinion that Nigerians should not expect the government to do everything for them, but our leaders have failed to create an enabling environment in the first place cry cry  Things will surely get better in Nigeria as time goes on. However, those who choose to live abroad should not be crucified or ridiculed. Nigerian leaders are not connecting with the masses. Our political system is alien to us [ the masses ] and our political parties are run like the Italian Mafia. Until  ordinary Nigerians start becoming card carrying members of our political parties, we will continue having this kind of debates on Nairaland. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2010
I mean if things are so great in Nigeria why would some of them want their kids to be given birth to overseas? Why would virtually every rich person in Nigeria want to be flown abroad when they are sick (have you forgotten Yar Adua so soon)? Why will most of those with the means want their children to attend Universities abroad?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, first of all, you said SOME want their kids to be given birth abroad, so does not mean the whole population.

Flown abroad when sick, believe me it happens in other places. When soccer (football) players get injured, some are taken from England to other countries for treatment. Some countries have specialist in various medical fields. I don't think if a Nigerian has migraine, he get's flown abroad. It has to be some serious illness.

You also talked about sending kids abroad for University studies. Well, in England you can find almost every national studying at their Universities. Reason being that they offer one of the best Educational systems in the world. Even the Americans go to the UK to study. SO not really a valid point.

Besides, people work to get money in order to afford the best in Life. Just as the rich go to shop at Harrods,

siena [/b]says life isn't all about money, well unfortunately, it is. People leave their countries for high paying jobs abroad. So it's all about the money. Expatriates who go to underdeveloped countries go there for for money. Unlike most of us, they can put up with things and not whine about it.

buzugee makes some valid points. You can sit down and wait for the government to do everything for you or get off your backside and make something happen.

[b]enugu
in UK talk about achieving her dreams. Well good luck to her then. Dreams can be achieved anywhere in the world. It just depends on what we want to see and what we decide to ignore. I for one know that UK does not really offer most blacks the opportunity to achieve their full potential. And I write from experience. Besides if UK is your home then I guess you can no longer consider your self a Nigeria, thus discuss such Nigerian issues,

Someone mentioned all this talk about having big houses and flashy cars in Nigeria. Come to think about it people get attracted to the American lifestyle because of what they see on TV, having a big house and a nice ride. The act of opulence is a norm for most blacks around the world and not just restricted to Nigeria.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by omofat: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2010
^^^ This joker is actually writing from the UK o
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by ada24: 12:39pm On Aug 25, 2010
omo~fat:

^^^ This joker is actually writing from the UK o

LMAO

nairaland always making me laugh.

abeg - naija is not suited to everyone we should just try to understand that, those that like organisation and structure in their lives will not cope - those expats u talk of trust me they don't live like normal nigerians and cos of the colo mentality that some people have back home - a nobody in the west is made to feel like he is special in nigeria.

by the way people get treated for serious illnesses in england as well, not saying this place is heaven but the examples u use are not in proportion to what really goes on - lets not even start on the education one u used.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by symbian03(m): 2:06pm On Aug 25, 2010
Damn! This thread consists of both intelligent folks and half-wit morons e.g 'dtouch' how there you generalize to that % I know of alots who have been working in nigeria for series of years and could only afford money for food. Never own a car/house. And buzugee were you saying the govt are doing the right thing by not providing all those amenities for communities to benefit? Nigerians lets not pretend and lets admit the fact that things aren't working well.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by dTouch: 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2010
@symbian
I never said Nigeria has no issues. Where in this world do we have a perfect system? I don't have the time to gripe about what's not going on well. I do try, in my little corner, to make a difference, to show that I am not a Nigerian by accident. I believe the scripture that '' from one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.'' Acts 17:26-28. Where do you stand bro?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 3:05pm On Aug 25, 2010
Redman44:

@Buzugee

As much as I love your comments, I feel you're giving the Nigerian Government an excuse for their ridiculous failure to provide the much needed structure for development. There is no country in the world where the government does not play a role in ensuring the citizens of the countries they govern maintain an acceptable living standard.  I understand your opinion that Nigerians should not expect the government to do everything for them, but our leaders have failed to create an enabling environment in the first place cry cry  Things will surely get better in Nigeria as time goes on. However, those who choose to live abroad should not be crucified or ridiculed. Nigerian leaders are not connecting with the masses. Our political system is alien to us [ the masses ] and our political parties are run like the Italian Mafia. Until  ordinary Nigerians start becoming card carrying members of our political parties, we will continue having this kind of debates on Nairaland. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
redman @ symbian, the people in nigeria are getting what they deserve. you have to give to receive. if you do not give you simply do not receive.  how many times have nigerians bribed nepa officials so that their electricity will not be cut ? how many nigerians try to get out of paying their rent ?
nigerians do not like to put money into the big pot but they like to recieve meat when the pot is done cooking.
how many nigerians will scream in uproar if asked to pay
1 road tax (to pay people who will fix the roads )
2, council tax (to pay people who clean the streets)
3, 40 percent income tax
etc etc ? i can bet you 99.9999 percent of nigerians will find any wayo way to get out of paying those taxes if they are implemented. so why complain about the govt not doing stuff for you ? where will the money come from to do all the roads and all the other amenities you all like so much but do not like paying for ? like i said, you get what you pay for
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by IykeD1(m): 3:19pm On Aug 25, 2010

your friend is making $200,000 dollars per annum in naija and he is nursing the ambition to go to america HuhHuhHuh? Grin Grin Grin that ya fren needs to be flogged with koboko.
ok with that kind of money in naija first off he needs to move to a gated community in victoria island. dunno what his problem is sha  Grin
somehow i think he is just hell-bent on living in yankee. he has been watching too many puff daddy and lil wayne videos  Grin

I think he makes close to $135,000 a year, but then you missed my point. He does live in a gated community with MOPOL guarding their gates and all the trappings.  However, when he comes to my place he sees there is no fence or gate to access the house, and there is the glass windows with no rods, no bullet proof doors, etc. You have to be daft in the head not to see things like this and not recognize the stark difference to what you are used to.  Of course he loves Nigeria, but that doesn't mean he does not see where things are lacking seriously.

With regards to people resorting to bitching rather than doing things for themselves, I suppose you want citizens to build their own airports as well, build their own clinics, perform surgeries on themselves, after home-schooling what do they do for High School or College?. Where does it stop?
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by IykeD1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 25, 2010

abeg - naija is not suited to everyone we should just try to understand that, those that like organisation and structure in their lives will not cope - those expats u talk of trust me they don't live like normal nigerians and cos of the colo mentality that some people have back home - a nobody in the west is made to feel like he is special in nigeria.

Right, plus there are in Nigeria because they are been paid heavily. You can bet only a handful of expats will accept a job offer in Nigeria
for the same amount of pay that they can get in their country of origin. I mean, why would someone earning $50K come to Nigeria to earn $50K and then deal with chaotic traffic, power and water issues, etc.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
Iyke-D:

I think he makes close to $135,000 a year, but then you missed my point. He does live in a gated community with MOPOL guarding their gates and all the trappings.  However, when he comes to my place he sees there is no fence or gate to access the house, and there is the glass windows with no rods, no bullet proof doors, etc. You have to be daft in the head not to see things like this and not recognize the stark difference to what you are used to.  Of course he loves Nigeria, but that doesn't mean he does not see where things are lacking seriously.

With regards to people resorting to bitching rather than doing things for themselves, I suppose you want citizens to build their own airports as well, build their own clinics, perform surgeries on themselves, after home-schooling what do they do for High School or College?. Where does it stop?
THIS IS HOW PEOPLE WITH MONEY LIVE all around the world. (gated community with mopol with gun at the gate). i know a rich naija man in indiana. he lives in a gated community and at the entrance into the community you have to get past armed men. the distance between the rich and the poor all over the world has widened and hence the rich are protecting themselves from the poor. no matter how we dice it, the fact still remains that your friend has some serious mental issues he has to deal with. his issues are greater than his 'perceived pseudo-discomfort level' in nigeria. dude needs help
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 4:20pm On Aug 25, 2010
Iyke-D:

Right, plus there are in Nigeria because they are been paid heavily.  You can bet only a handful of expats will accept a job offer in Nigeria
for the same amount of pay that they can get in their country of origin. I mean, why would someone earning $50K come to Nigeria to earn $50K and then deal with chaotic traffic, power and water issues, etc.
this is another misconception alot of nigerians have. that the white expats in naija are been paid lots of money which is why they are in nigeria. dude believe it or not, 9 times out of 10, the expats that move and work in third world countries are the bottom of the barrell in their countries. they get paid the same amount they will earn in their country but the perks are free living quarters and the local girls. most of these perverts (most of them usually are) are not here for the money as much as the experience to live and work in a different country. its an adventure to them. like the guys who work in the british embassy in nigeria are paid like 18,000 pounds each. the same, if not less than the british national average. you can see these jobs listed at the job centre. people who flock to these expat third world jobs usually have an ulterior motive (and it aint the money). most of them are in it for the free accommodation, the local underage women, or they are running away from something in their country (maybe a bad marriage etc )
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2010
However, when he comes to my place he sees there is no fence or gate to access the house, and there is the glass windows with no rods, no bullet proof doors, etc. You have to be daft in the head not to see things like this and not recognize the stark difference to what you are used to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but in places like South Africa they do have fenced houses, bullet proof as well. It's not just Nigeria, happens in other countries as well. yet you don't hear them complaining about it, they just carry on with their lives.

You're more likely to get robbed and Killed in South Africa as compared to Nigeria, does not mean all their people are running away abroad. People from Zimbabwe have got a concrete reason to do so. We are sort of blessed, yet people choose to turn a blind eye to it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can bet only a handful of expats will accept a job offer in Nigeria

I very much doubt that, some of these people work with embassies, multinational companies, International Organizations or Foreign companies. If a lot of them were offered the same amount which they were getting to work in Nigeria, believe me, they will jump at the idea. Why? Because of less taxes and they can save more money. Besides a lot of them get on with their lives instead of complaining about stuff, that is why they were able to conquer most of the world.

Believe me, If I was working in US on $50K and my company offered me the same amount to work in Nigeria, they ain't gotta ask twice. chaotic traffic, power and water issues will be the least of my worries.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2010
salamsm:

However, when he comes to my place he sees there is no fence or gate to access the house, and there is the glass windows with no rods, no bullet proof doors, etc. You have to be daft in the head not to see things like this and not recognize the stark difference to what you are used to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but in places like South Africa they do have fenced houses, bullet proof as well. It's not just Nigeria, happens in other countries as well. yet you don't hear them complaining about it, they just carry on with their lives.

You're more likely to get robbed and Killed in South Africa as compared to Nigeria, does not mean all their people are running away abroad. People from Zimbabwe have got a concrete reason to do so. We are sort of blessed, yet people choose to turn a blind eye to it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can bet only a handful of expats will accept a job offer in Nigeria

I very much doubt that, some of these people work with embassies, multinational companies, International Organizations or Foreign companies. If a lot of them were offered the same amount which they were getting to work in Nigeria, believe me, they will jump at the idea. Why? Because of less taxes and they can save more money.  Besides a lot of them get on with their lives instead of complaining about stuff, that is why they were able to conquer most of the world.

Believe me, If I was working in US on $50K and my company offered me the same amount to work in Nigeria, they ain't gotta ask twice. chaotic traffic, power and water issues will be the least of my worries.
extremely strong points @ salamsm. lmao @ the bolded part grin
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by IykeD1(m): 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2010
You can downplay all the facts however you want to, but there is no way I am going to send my kids to attend college
in the University of Enugu, Lagos, Ibadan, etc. simply because Nigeria is "home". Home to who? If you can't understand
the rot of Nigeria is the reason why those who can afford it either sends their kids to school abroad or even come abroad
annually for "medical checkup", then the country truly deserves its leadership and will continue to have morons leading it.
I mentioned Yar Adua previously and none of you have bothered to touch it. What is the average life expectancy in
Nigeria or I guess we don't bother with those things any more, right? We are content to live in chaos all behind MOPOL
manned gated communities.

As for the expats, how convenient for you to say they get paid the same amount of money as they would in their country
but they accept the offer to come to Nigeria because of the perks. Hello, what do you think perks are? If some one pay you
$50K and also provide you with free housing, car, medical benefits, vacation allowance, and kids educaton to come Nigeria,
is that the same as you being paid just $50K while you take care of your own housing, kids tuition, etc? That's a no brainer.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 7:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
Iyke-D:

You can downplay all the facts however you want to, but there is no way I am going to send my kids to attend college
in the University of Enugu, Lagos, Ibadan, etc. simply because Nigeria is "home". Home to who? If you can't understand
the rot of Nigeria is the reason why those who can afford it either sends their kids to school abroad or even come abroad
annually for "medical checkup", then the country truly deserves its leadership and will continue to have morons leading it.
I mentioned Yar Adua previously and none of  you have bothered to touch it. What is the average life expectancy in
Nigeria or I guess we don't bother with those things any more, right?  We are content to live in chaos all behind MOPOL
manned gated communities.

As for the expats, how convenient for you to say they get paid the same amount of money as they would in their country
but they accept the offer to come to Nigeria because of the perks.  Hello, what do you think perks are? If some one pay you
$50K and also provide you with free housing, car, medical benefits, vacation allowance, and kids educaton to come Nigeria,
is that the same as you being paid just $50K while you take care of your own housing, kids tuition, etc?  That's a no brainer.

iyke-d, your colo-mentality has blinded you to the reality of things. nigerian education is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than american education. i attended schools in america and naija and let me tell you, the number of illiterate americans i met in school was baffling. these are adults who went to all the primary and secondary american education yet they couldnt spell well, read well, or do simple basic arithmetic. so i sat down with a few of them to try to find out whats going on. the consensus i got was that the american education system has failed all of them. their education is crap. i went to a boarding school in nigeria. by the time we were in our second year we were all experts in spelling and mathematics. please dont be blinded by your colo-mentality

as per the xpats ? the perks are not so great. the perks only attracts the lowlifes amongst them. free accommodation ? thats hardly breaking the bank. i wouldnt leave my country for another country for the same salary just because of perks. if i am earning 50 grand in naija my country, the only way i am leaving for a different country is if you offer me 100 grand. na perks i wan chop ?

as per universities in naija, you do know that there are tonnes of private universitys in naija ?

as per medical care, naija has good medical care. you just have to know where to go. you have to be resourceful to live in naija. get the information you need yourself. off the top of my head i can name 10 world class hospitals in naija. they have it all, spirometry machines, ekg machines, holter monitors, echocardiography machines, x-rays, etc etc. you guys have the typical naija mindset. you want to be spoonfed. go out and do your own research.
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by DisGuy: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2010
buzugee:

iyke-d, your colo-mentality has blinded you to the reality of things. nigerian education is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than american education. i attended schools in america and naija and let me tell you, the number of illiterate americans i met in school was baffling. these are adults who went to all the primary and secondary american education yet they couldnt spell well, read well, or do simple basic arithmetic. so i sat down with a few of them to try to find out whats going on. the consensus i got was that the american education system has failed all of them. their education is crap. i went to a boarding school in nigeria. by the time we were in our second year we were all experts in spelling and mathematics. please dont be blinded by your colo-mentality

no wonder we all those silly Ghanaians/S African are rushing our schools, the number of foreign students in Nigeria is said to be in the millions cheesy
Re: Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? by buzugee(m): 7:21pm On Aug 25, 2010
Dis Guy:

no wonder we all those silly Ghanaians/S African are rushing our schools, the number of foreign students in Nigeria is said to be in the millions cheesy
not sure about your assertions or sarcasm but i can assure you that the education i had in nigeria was world class. now when i school in britain or america, i am always the best student. thanks to the nigerian educational background

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Clearance Certificate / Uber Set For Benin City Launch / What Are The Requirements To Travel To Belgium For Holdays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.