Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,336 members, 7,891,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:02 PM

Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History (23899 Views)

See The Final 3D Rendering Of All The Lagos-Ibadan Railway Terminals In 3 States / At Last, Lagos-Ibadan Railway Comes Alive - Photos / Lagos Ibadan Railway. Amaechi On A Train Ride To Abeokuta On New Coaches. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by DerideGull(m): 1:29pm On Feb 07, 2019
FriendNG:
History will not be fair if we allow the misleading thread on front page about the construction of Lagos Ibadan Railway. While "AutoReport.Ng" might be doing so unintentionally, there is still need to put the record straight.

Currently, I believe there is not a single nairalander that follow-up infrastructural development threads like I and "Blue.3k." Especially when it comes to railway and transportation related threads.

For every new update on Lagos-Ibadan railway, I got the pictures as well as the video(s) first while many others are still searching.

Now back to the matter: AutoReport.NG claimed that Lagos-Ibadan railway starts with the administration of President Good luck Jonathan.
https://www.nairaland.com/5006756/fact-check-started-lagos-ibadan

Now the word Start might be very complex but we will decode it.

Start what exactly?

There is a clear difference between starting a project practically and starting a project theoretically on paper.

The Lagos-ibadan railway is only a segment of the larger Lagos - Kano Standard Guage Rail, which is divided into four segments.

a. Lagos-Ibadan.
b. Ibadan-Abuja.
c. Abuja-Kaduna.
d. Finally kaduna-kano.

However it was later redesigned to accommodate other state capitals like Ado Ekiti, Minna, Akure etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos–Kano_Standard_Gauge_Railway

Idea & Construction Of The Project On Paper:

In 2006,
the Nigerian government awarded a $8.3 billion contract to the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation to construct a standard gauge railway from Lagos to Kano.

The idea of the project starts during the administration of President Obasanjo. The word awarded doesn't mean you have started the work. It's just a mere written commitment and not the work.
That is why despite Obasanjo awarding the project, not a single stone or brick was put on ground.

Due to lack of funding, the rail project was divided into 4 segments.

Abuja–Kaduna Segments ($876 million) : The construction of this segment starts with President Good luck Jonathan in 2011 and completed by President Buhari in 2016.

It is all clear President Jonathan starts the construction of Abuja - Kaduna railway segment of Lagos - Kano rail. And it was completed by President Buhari.

Lagos–Ibadan Segment

1. Who Awarded The Contract On Paper?

It was awarded by President Obasanjo in 2006 on paper and re-awarded by President Jonathan in 2012 on paper. And then renegotiated by President Buhari Administration.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/fg-to-award-lagos-ibadan-rail-contract-soon-—jonathan/

2. Who Paid For The Contract?

I watched the vice presidential candidate of a party lying on national television that "the Administration of Goodluck pay for the rail project before leaving office." That is not only false but unbecoming of someone that once occupied the seat of power.

The first and full counterpart funding of Lagos Ibadan Railway was released by the Administration of Muhammad Buhari after a series of negotiation between China & Nigeria.

(The Nigerian Team includes: H.E Rotimi Amaechi, Hon. Kemi Adeosun, among others)

Buhari Released N72BN Full Counter Part Funding For Lagos-Ibadan Railway (Jan 2017)

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/fg-releases-n72bn-full-counterpart-funding-lagos-ibadan-rail/

3. Who Start / Flag Off The Practical Construction Of Lagos-Ibadan Railway?

The ground breaking which marks the initial commencement of construction works for the Lagos-ibadan railway was performed by H.E the acting president Prof Yemi Osinbajo in March 2017

https://www.legit.ng/amp/1092288-osinbajo-storms-lagos-flag-lagos-ibadan-rail-line-project.html

https://lagosstate.gov.ng/blog/2017/03/07/acting-president-osinbajo-gov-ambode-at-ground-breaking-ceremony-of-lagos-ibadan-railway-project-at-nigerian-railway-corporation-compound-ebute-metta-lagos/

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/excitement-anxiety-as-work-begins-on-lagos-ibadan-rail-project/amp/

If awarding of contract on paper means you have start the project then for every railway built by another administration, we can say Buhari started it. How?

Connect rail to 36 state capitals, Buhari directs

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/connect-rail-36-state-capitals-buhari-directs/

For The Records

1. The idea of Lagos Kano rail become more pronounced during the time of Obasanjo in 2016.

2. The Abuja - Kaduna segment was started by Goodluck administration in 2012 and Completed by the Buhari administration in 2016.

3. The Lagos Ibadan segment started with Buhari administration & it is already nearing completion.

What happened to the eastern axis railway line? There was a railway segment from Port Harcourt - Enugu - Makurdi - Kafanchan-Kaduna. It is mind burgling that most Nigerians will get twisted when the IPOB or other southerners talk about disintegration of Nigeria. I guess the disintegration of the cesspit allow people to take their destiny in their very own hand. It is very unfathomable to see a section of Nigeria enjoy transportation by rail while majority of the country looks in amazement. The rail transportation which is good for Yoruba, Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri and Nupe shall also be good for Igbo, Ijaw, Ogoni, Ibibio, Annang, Jukun, Idoma, Tiv and Efik.
Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by praise2009: 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2019
we shall get Nigeria working again like we have done in sixteen years and most of our infrastructure were neglected even when we insistED GEJ should be sworn in as president in 2011. HE COULD NOT DELIVER BECAUSE PDP AS A PARTY DOES NOT HAVE PLANS INFRASTRUCTURAL Y EXCEPT TO SHARE THE MONEY AND CLEAN MOUTH. I HAVE BEEN STUPID IN THE PAST TO SUPPORT PDP. I THANK GOD SINCE 2015 NEVER A MOMENT I HAVE REGRETTED MY SUPPORT FOR BUHARI/OSINBAJO PROGRESS. AS FOR ME AND MY FAMILY, I WILL VOTE FOR BUHARI/OSINBAJO. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
GOD BLESS MY HOME
GOD BLESS EVERYONE

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by gbeseun(m): 1:42pm On Feb 07, 2019
deomelo:

Buhari lack mental capacity to put projects on the drawing board, also lack the mental capacity to loot the funds and abandon the project, but still able to complete all the projects the people with looting and abandoning capacity left behind.

At this stage in Nigeria, we actually prefer PMB's project starting and completing capacity, we don't want looting, stealing and project abandoning capacity.

God bless u.qed
Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by Born2Breed(f): 1:43pm On Feb 07, 2019
omokab:
which useless idea are you talking about? You are handsome and rich.you approach a woman with sweat mouth and married her. Your wife get to know that you are impotent after marriage.so, she divorced you. Later an urgly man who is also rich but not as rich as you are married the same woman and impregnated her while she started having a sense of belonging. Who do you have the best family relations idea? PDP that always have project on papers or slApc that saw the idea and turn it to a useful idea? You can even tell us that PDP initiated the rail system across the globe. Obituary is known as a serial pier. Mr China/India.

We are talking about government project that is meant to be taken over by successive administration and you are talking about wife,pregnant, ugly, birth, impotent and what not.
Are you this daft that you compare oranges with apples?
Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by Born2Breed(f): 1:45pm On Feb 07, 2019
ceaser:

"Atiku will win. Let's get Nigeria looted again, biko!"

Gandollar,Yusuf buhari,babache and co comes to mind...
Re: Lagos Ibadan Railway - An Attempt To Rewrite History by mfm04622: 3:53pm On Feb 07, 2019
SalamRushdie:

stop calling scheduled projects abandoned please ... I dare you to show me one project Buhari started as military head of state? I dare you

Provide evidence it was scheduled! Which will be the next one if it was scheduled? Which government scheduled it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Wants To Reconstruct Benue Roads. "There’s Plot To Disturb Contractor" Wike / Two Groups In Battle For Buhari’s Re-election / Second Term: I Don’t Want To Be Reappointed As Buhari’s Minister – Lokpobiri

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.