Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,176 members, 7,903,889 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 11:46 PM

What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? (40751 Views)

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages / 11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / List Of School That Have Released Post UTME Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by mikky4764(f): 8:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
chigodo:
My teacher said youths are leaders of tomorrow. A big lie.
grin grin
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by okewumi: 8:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
That
If you eat anus of chicken, you will keep gossiping.

Anybody from Southern part of Nigeria is Omo bio
And the Northern part is Hausa (Aboki)
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by okewumi: 8:46pm On Mar 05, 2019
That
If you eat anus of chicken, you will keep gossiping.

Anybody from Southern part of Nigeria is Omo ibo
And the Northern part is Hausa (Aboki)
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by sureteeboy(m): 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2019
Halo22:
That is true nah. The sun is always stationary, it appears to be moving due to rotation of the earth.
Far from the truth bro. As far as the universe is concerned, the only thing stationary is the cosmic microwave background radiation. Our solar system is located in one of the spiral arms of the Milky-way galaxy. Just as the moon revolves round the earth, and the earth, alongside the other planets revolve round the sun, The sun itself, and the solar system at large also revolves around the milky way galaxy at an average speed of 828,000km/hr.

In simple terms, Moon orbits planets, planets orbit stars, stars and the planets orbit the galaxy, the galaxy at large sometimes orbit another massive one and the cycle continues... grin
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Talknochip(m): 8:56pm On Mar 05, 2019
DerideGull:

I hope you are not confusing technician with an engineer.
Well, true, there is a difference btw the two sha.. But i was mainly referring to some of the engineers working for our Power firms (Old Phcn). Those responsible for maintenance,constructions,distribution etc.. I notice that most of them actually learnt on the Job.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by advocate666: 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2019
ElsonMorali:

Not saying much.

Faith has its place, so does knowledge. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Faith is placeholder for ignorance. Those that know do not need faith.

Faith can be used to affirm anything: there is a planet made entirely of green coconut water that orbits the sun every 2 million years. If you can't believe this, how can I believe your god?
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by mekyno777(m): 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2019
Talknochip:
YES. Many good Electrical Engineers i have come across are products of apprenticeship,mentorship or vocational schools.
pls do u knw the diff btw an Engineer, a craftman and a road-side repairer??
Pls can u define/describe an Engineer for me?
Tnx
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by naxman(m): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2019
if you are not endorsed by Obasanjo forget it until 23rd February 2019
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Daddiflowz: 9:43pm On Mar 05, 2019
supported.. m a fan
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 05, 2019
Henrodah:

No worries I will create it soon! My best battle was battle of Stalingrad(Operation Barbarossa) loosely known as Operation Red beard What's yours

we can talk about the battle of Leningrad, the battle of kursk and more importantly the battle of iwo jima where US marines took the picture of lifting the American flag on mount suribachi
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by ElsonMorali: 9:54pm On Mar 05, 2019
advocate666:

Faith is placeholder for ignorance. Those that know do not need faith.

Faith can be used to affirm anything: there is a planet made entirely of green coconut water that orbits the sun every 2 million years. If you can't believe this, how can I believe your god?

And who says I can't believe that? When scientists tell us that there's an actual planet where it rains diamonds.

Nothing is impossible!

Having faith isn't willful ignorance. There are things you don't know and you just have faith that it's true until your intellectual mind can comprehend the truth being asserted by your spiritual mind.

An example on the physical plane would be you accepting that indeed you breathe in oxygen and breathe out CO2 despite never haven seen both Oxygen and CO2 before. You trust and have faith in the scientific process that has propounded this theory even if your mind cannot grasp it yet.

It is faith that makes us accept gravity even if we don't see it.

If man were to rely only on knowledge, he won't go very far.

It is faith and not knowledge that has made science indebted to philosophers over the ages.

Faith and reason, Fides et Ratio are two inseparable companions.

Faith is not the absence of reason. Reason isn't the absence of faith.

That we can't understand the nature of God or how He can come to be doesn't mean He doesn't exist. It means our minds cannot grasp it...yet.

That we can't see Him doesn't mean He doesn't exist, otherwise we'd be like little kids in our approach to life.

The only reason why mankind hasn't developed past this stage is because of its insistence on placing more emphasis on physics instead of metaphysics.

The earlier we understand that science cannot explain everything, the better for us as a race.

1 Like

Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Nemesis08(m): 10:06pm On Mar 05, 2019
That education is the key. That we are leaders of tomorrow That hard work leads to success

1 Like

Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Destinychigozie: 10:50pm On Mar 05, 2019
"Law of gravity state that anything that trows up must surely comes down"but finally realized it is a lie when I trow Prisca pussy up but bluntly refused to come down, until I have to knack it down with Dickson huge dick Pls try and see.

Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by advocate666: 11:14pm On Mar 05, 2019
ElsonMorali:

And who says I can't believe that? When scientists tell us that there's an actual planet where it rains diamonds.

Nothing is impossible!

Having faith isn't willful ignorance. There are things you don't know and you just have faith that it's true until your intellectual mind can comprehend the truth being asserted by your spiritual mind.

An example on the physical plane would be you accepting that indeed you breathe in oxygen and breathe out CO2 despite never haven seen both Oxygen and CO2 before. You trust and have faith in the scientific process that has propounded this theory even if your mind cannot grasp it yet.

It is faith that makes us accept gravity even if we don't see it.

If man were to rely only on knowledge, he won't go very far.

It is faith and not knowledge that has made science indebted to philosophers over the ages.

Faith and reason, Fides et Ratio are two inseparable companions.

Faith is not the absence of reason. Reason isn't the absence of faith.

That we can't understand the nature of God or how He can come to be doesn't mean He doesn't exist. It means our minds cannot grasp it...yet.

That we can't see Him doesn't mean He doesn't exist, otherwise we'd be like little kids in our approach to life.

The only reason why mankind hasn't developed past this stage is because of its insistence on placing more emphasis on physics instead of metaphysics.

The earlier we understand that science cannot explain everything, the better for us as a race.

Whenever a religious person speaks, we witness live ignorance and the harm religion does to knowledge.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by ransomed: 12:45am On Mar 06, 2019
Judiciary is the last hope of a common man. The true and reality is that the Judiciary favours political office holders and guys with fat bank accounts.

Action and reaction are equal and opposite. In Nigeria, it is not true. A guy blew whistle on Senator Phillip Aduda about bank vaults in his house, EFCC reacted by telling the whistle blower to come back in a fortnight and advised Senator Phillip Aduda to relocate the cash with two days. The whistle blower came back to efcc and was told to take operatives to the alleged vault. Behold! our guy is languishing in jail for blowing wrong whistle.

That I have constitutional rights, it is not true, those rights have been turned to privileges.

That Cat and Rats are not friends, but in Nigeria's context. Armed robbers and wetin you carry officers are best of friends.

That military officers are discipline inclined. , but was surprised when officers diverted money for arms and ammunitions into private personal accounts.

Equality before the law. This is not true. You can drive an unregistered car in the northern part of Nigeria for 3 months without any problem with officers on the road, try it in the southern part for 2 weeks.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by GAJIT: 1:48am On Mar 06, 2019
As as a kid we were told that drinking coconut water would make you dull, anyway, by our elderly ones.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by frank317: 2:18am On Mar 06, 2019
uuzba:

It seems things were forced upon you as a kid and now you don't understand anything.

It seems unlike quoting people and talking rubbish.
How is the bible the word of God? Are u one of those deceived kids?
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by africanusvu(m): 5:41am On Mar 06, 2019
That nigeria is indivicible
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by ncoolsome(m): 6:01am On Mar 06, 2019
DerideGull:

Do you fellow the rules of the cardinal points? Have you travelled outside of the earth?

The sun doesn't rise or set bcuz the sun doesn't even move,the earth rotates on its axis to give day n night and around the sun to give a year...
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by uckennety(m): 6:14am On Mar 06, 2019
Nurrex:
That's y I said "most" Let me say 75% of those who graduated with first class or second class upper have a good/well paying job and are living above the normal standard of living. While just 25% of non educated people/Dullards with bad results are living a good live, with well a paying occupation. So, educated people have more advantage of making it in live than illiterates
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Tolux143(m): 6:20am On Mar 06, 2019
That education is the key
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Unity19(m): 6:54am On Mar 06, 2019
DerideGull:

In mathematical expression, there is 2 of 3. The so-called Order as in BODMAS was recently introduced to represent exponential expression as in 2 rest to the power of 3.

Thanks for the further enlightenment.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by ElsonMorali: 6:54am On Mar 06, 2019
advocate666:

Whenever a religious person speaks, we witness live ignorance and the harm religion does to knowledge.

Religiosity is different from Spirituality.

The former is not encouraged while the latter is highly praised and to be totally pursued.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 06, 2019
uckennety:

Lies

Am a degree holder

2nd class lower cgpa 3.0 am unemployed since 2011

Abeg go n sit
you know second class lower is too low to secure a job. While there are many more intelligent people that you, that studied the same course, pass through the same stress and graduated with first class and second class upper, as I said earlier most people shouting online are those with 3rd class or pass degree, and some 2nd class lower graduate. You are not blaming yourself for not putting enough effort while in school in order to graduate with better results like they do you are blaming the government for not giving you a job. now you want to get a jobs that more brilliant people than you are getting. Whereas you might have studied a less lucrative job, like botany, zoology et al
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by uckennety(m): 8:36am On Mar 06, 2019
Nurrex:
you know second class lower is too low to secure a job. While there are many more intelligent people that you, that studied the same course, pass through the same stress and graduated with first class and second class upper, as I said earlier most people shouting online are those with 3rd class or pass degree, and some 2nd class lower graduate. You are not blaming yourself for not putting enough effort while in school in order to graduate with better results like they do you are blaming the government for not giving you a job. now you want to get a jobs that more brilliant people than you are getting. Whereas you might have studied a less lucrative job, like botany, zoology et al

So 2nd class lower is low in your standard!

You make me laugh!

Anyway I v a friend with 3rd class working in shell

Another friend has a 2.1 even has masters from a Norwegian university no job! He has forced to leave naija

My Lil brother has 2.1 no job till now

Abeg just accept the system is a failure!

P. S don't say this outside make you no chop slap

2.2 low and 3rd class is lower

Abeg am out
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Henrodah(m): 9:13am On Mar 06, 2019
omohz:

we can talk about the battle of Leningrad, the battle of kursk and more importantly the battle of iwo jima where US marines took the picture of lifting the American flag on mount suribachi
Wow Iwo Jima was something else , preceeded by battle of pelielu, pavuvu . Guadalcanal . But what about Rommel ( the desert fox) versus Montgomery ? And who was your favorite commander thru out the war? Mine was General Zhukov.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Henrodah(m): 9:15am On Mar 06, 2019
[quote author=Fourwinds post=76382079]that ur teacher is a terrorist... He even gang ban..g ur girls fa!!! [/quote

He bang so tay one gal parent lock am up for weeks. He was just all-round Badoo.
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by lordbeans(m): 9:34am On Mar 06, 2019
cutegentility:
Answer:

1.The actual shape of the earth is an oblate spheroid but from space it looks like a perfect sphere.
2. Venus is the hottest planet

Oh I know it is not perfectly spherical (it is wider at the bottom than it is at the top), but saying it is spherical is a good approximation. So I would argue it is somewhat correct.

As for Venus being the hottest planet albeit not the closest to the sun, I think that is only true when we talk about average temperature. This means that Mercury has a higher peak temperature than Venus, but also has lower temperature than Venus, due to Mecury's vanishingly small atmosphere as against the thick atmosphere found in Venus: the greenhouse effect ultimately increases the temperature. Hence, while it is true that on the average Venus is the hottest planet in our solar system, Mercury records the highest temperature.

Thanks cutegentility for your response.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by degab148(m): 9:56am On Mar 06, 2019
When i was still innocent, i knew no woman, i haven't tasted the breast of young ladies, my maths teacher forced me to find "EX"..... Na dat man corrupt me abeg... Now i don get plenty EXs....
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 06, 2019
uckennety:

So 2nd class lower is low in your standard!

You make me laugh!

Anyway I v a friend with 3rd class working in shell

Another friend has a 2.1 even has masters from a Norwegian university no job! He has forced to leave naija

My Lil brother has 2.1 no job till now

Abeg just accept the system is a failure!

P. S don't say this outside make you no chop slap

2.2 low and 3rd class is lower

Abeg am out
I have a lot of friends that graduated with 1st class and second class upper that are working in various petroleum industries, other 1st class agro industries and pharmaceutical industries. I didn't say 3rd class graduate don't get job, I said most of them don't.
The friend of yours with masters might be expecting job of 200k/month that's what most master degree older expects, he must have Gotten a 50-80k job but he declined. I'm sure if he can really claim his results, he will be doing well abroad. Whereas he got a job before going for his masters, a job that provided traveling fee, feeding and rentallowance abroad, visa etc.
As for you and your little bro, which course did you guys studied, hope it isn't special/Adult education. As far I'm concerned, though the system isn't very okay, just like most developed countries but a better results guarantees a good grades. Though some people are very lucky, while others are not
Re: What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? by uckennety(m): 11:25am On Mar 06, 2019
Nurrex:
I have a lot of friends that graduated with 1st class and second class upper that are working in various petroleum industries, other 1st class agro industries and pharmaceutical industries. I didn't say 3rd class graduate don't get job, I said most of them don't.
The friend of yours with masters might be expecting job of 200k/month that's what most master degree older expects, he must have Gotten a 50-80k job but he declined. I'm sure if he can really claim his results, he will be doing well abroad. Whereas he got a job before going for his masters, a job that provided traveling fee, feeding and rentallowance abroad, visa etc.
As for you and your little bro, which course did you guys studied, hope it isn't special/Adult education. As far I'm concerned, though the system isn't very okay, just like most developed countries but a better results guarantees a good grades. Though some people are very lucky, while others are not

I don't need to reply you cuz it obvious you don't know what about people's plight in this country!

How did I know this?

When you wrote this

Whereas he got a job before going for his masters, a job that provided traveling fee, feeding and rentallowance abroad, visa etc.

Please bye before I transfer my anger to you

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ogun Schoolgirls Turn Smokers, Teachers Lament / MC Oluomo Rewards Boy Who Drew His Portrait With N500,000 Naira (PHOTOS) / JAMB RESULT! My Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.