Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,247 members, 7,977,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 12:29 PM

It's Raining Ashes! ( A Short Story Of Ash Wednesday) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It's Raining Ashes! ( A Short Story Of Ash Wednesday) (232 Views)

Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It's Raining Ashes! ( A Short Story Of Ash Wednesday) by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 06, 2019
IT'S RAINING ASHES!

It was a little before dawn. 5.30am.
His voice blasted all over the compound.
"I've told you that I can't make it this morning, don't you understand?! I can't let a wordly appointment prevent me from taking the ashes today. Don't be the devil to tempt me! Nonsense!" He slammed the door as he hung up and hurried off to the church, mumbling a quick reply to my greeting. It was Ash Wednesday.
I washed up and boarded a tricycle to the church a while later. Along the way, the driver stopped to pick a man who flagged him down. With his wife and three kids. "Hurry up this woman!" He yelled at her as she took her time to hop in. "This ash must not pass us by again this year."
The driver sped off. We halted few minutes later along the way. A little crowd had gathered to separate a fight. Two drivers had been involved in a minor accident. Their cars had bruises, with no injuries or harm to the occupants. The two drivers were at each other's throats.
"I will deal with you today!" One yelled. "You agent of the devil. So this is how you plan to obstruct my heavenly salvation right? You have conspired with the devil to hit my car and stop me from receiving my ashes today! I will show you who I am today!"
"You stupid man!" The other retorted. "I will reset your brain with ashes today! You must pay for my car headlights!"
The crowd was divided amongst supporters on both sides fueling the duel. I got down and trekked to the church to meet another mammoth crowd. And another scuffle. A group of motor park touts were haranguing the church ushers and the catechist, who tried explaining to them that the ashes had been exhausted.
"Oga you wan use us joke shebi? You think you can cheat us right? Better bring those ashes that you are hiding for your family members and neighbours. We are not here to joke. Heaven is for us all and not only your people!"
"Good Lord." I thought to myself. "What a day!"

(1) (Reply)

Every Human Is Selfish. Only God Is Righteous!!! / Women Who Put On Men’s Wears Are Abomination To God - Pastor Kumuyi / Categories Of The Power Of God (1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.