Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,052 members, 7,970,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 02:23 AM

Aussie Swimmer Rice Ripped For Tweet: - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aussie Swimmer Rice Ripped For Tweet: (635 Views)

Sexy Footballer Chichi Igbo & Her Ripped Bod Stun In New Photos / WELCOME TO 2013 AUSSIE FOOTBALL POOL SEASON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aussie Swimmer Rice Ripped For Tweet: by DatNiggaAk(m): 10:35am On Sep 06, 2010
it is okay for a gay to call a straight person an idiot and a fool but it's not okay if a straight person uses the word gay to no one in particular,
if only i was a well known celebrity, i will be so homophobic it will become fashionable,

Aussie swimmer Rice ripped for tweet Stephanie Rice's tweet supporting Australia's rugby union team wasn't very ladylike.

Fox SportsThe Daily Telegraph, NewsCore
PRINT RSS   Updated Sep 6, 2010 12:18 AM ET
Top Australian swimmer Stephanie Rice was slammed after a posting a homophobic slur on her Twitter page, The (Sydney) Daily Telegraph reported Monday.

Rice, one of the sport's glamor girls, posted a message after Australia's rugby union team, the Wallabies, defeated South Africa's side the Springboks in Bloemfontein Saturday.

The Olympic gold medal winner tweeted: "Suck on that f**gots," adding; "Probs the best game I've ever seen!! Well done boys".

The comment, which Rice later removed, triggered a furious reaction from openly gay former Australian rugby league player, Ian Roberts.

"She is an idiot and anyone who continues to endorse her as an athlete is an idiot as well," Roberts said.

"And I say that with a very sad tone in my voice. What a fool."

Acknowledging the comment, Rice told the Telegraph in an email: "I made a comment on Twitter last night in the excitement of the moment.

"I did not mean to cause offence and I apologise. I have deleted it from the site."

Roberts, one of a handful of openly gay athletes and a devoted gay-rights advocate, said it was "inexcusable."

"It's never acceptable to belittle gay people."

Last month Rice was linked with one of the players in the Wallabies team, flyhalf Quade Cooper.

It was reported the couple were regularly in contact as he provided comfort from South Africa following her announcement that she would miss the Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October because a chronic shoulder injury requires surgery.

(1) (Reply)

Enyeama Deserves To Be On Caf African Player Of The Year Award List- Amunike / What Is Yakubu Still Doing In Super Eagles? / Nigeria Olympic Tickets Are Being Sold In London Black Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.