Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,959 members, 7,949,275 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? (17666 Views)

You Have No Right To Search My Phone - Guy Cries Out As SARS Officers Slap Him / SARS Officers Harass Students During Stop And Search Operation. Photos / Police IG Bans SARS From Conducting Stop And Search Operations #endsars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by SEXYBILLIONAIRE(m): 2:56pm On Mar 25, 2019
In Nigeria or Canada?
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by KrystosCJ(m): 2:57pm On Mar 25, 2019
Never argue with a man in uniform who is armed. Just comply with lawful directives.

And if you think bringing out your phone to record will help while you're being searched, your cup has already overflown.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Onyekachi419(f): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2019
ceejay80s:
what if ur car was stolen and the person that stole ur car drive pass them, so......they should allow him to go because they dont have warrant, oga if ur papers are complete, u dont need to panic, except u steal the car or driving without a valid license , allow them do their job please
what are you saying?
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by McMayor(m): 2:59pm On Mar 25, 2019
Nice write up but listen bro... We all understand that police should not forcefully search you, your car or your phone but the truth is a lot of people have ended up spending several days, months, years behind bars just because they stood up to what is right. Now my question is you are the bread winner of your family and knowing police are local or wont answer to the policies laid down even by the superiors, would you want to argue / fight a police man like that? A police man that would shot you or even assault you which might lead to your early death. Would you want to argue or fight Until when we start doing what is right in this country we would continue to be fools to this people. May God help us

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Elliot2(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2019
I can't count how many times I have saved keke n taxi drivers from parting away the normal egunje they pay the olokpas,and or being searched. Just a smile on my face and a "officer officer,good morning dis afternoon. I dey hail o," from where I am seated does the magic. Look,we are all frustrated, including the olokpas,so u trying to add yours to them is the most unfortunate thing to do. Be polite with them even when they are not, at the end of the day u can quote the law if offended when Naija is no longer a zoo. For now just respect yasef b be mindful of ur village pipo.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by partnerbizz4: 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2019
Mcmayor

Autoreportng

Who said the police have no rights to search your phones or cars?

What is a reasonable suspicion?

What amounts to such objective test to be used?

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Angel223: 3:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
grin
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by unclenna(m): 3:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
Onyekachi419:
Warrant in Nigeria lol for real. this country hv no rules.
it works when u know your right. They wanted to try it with me but when d realised my wife who was in d car with me is a lawyer they fled.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by UrVillagePpl: 3:08pm On Mar 25, 2019
Raydos:
That's how one policeman stopped my uncle that year, After asking for everything in which my uncle provided

All because this policeman want to extort money my from uncle, He con say: "Why your car seat rough like this like say you just finished banging someone for inside car""

My brother con reply: "shey that one nah crime?"

To cut the long story short, Up till today my uncle still dey prison

u r as foolish as that ur uncle

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by samstradam: 3:11pm On Mar 25, 2019
Really good read, nice one Autoreportng.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Onyekachi419(f): 3:13pm On Mar 25, 2019
unclenna:
it works when u know your right. They wanted to try it with me but when d realised my wife who was in d car with me is a lawyer they fled.
lol the only thing they understand is power if is not for your wife it wil be another story entirely.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Hoodbilonia: 3:22pm On Mar 25, 2019
Bro forget story
If dem flag u down
Esp sars... e don be
If na mopol. Greet dem. Talk street. Documents complete. Raba dem 2h,5h,1k. Move
No go dey speakni know my right..begin quote law,begin shout on top your voice. Last last dem search your phone. See say hangout,fb,yankee nos dey dia.
Hahahahahaha
What u will hear next is move.move.
Wen u get to the station .u can call your lawyer.
Hahahahaha
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 25, 2019
faithfull18:
No unless they have a search warrant.
Err.. i Don't think so. They don't have to have a warrant to search your car. They are allowed by law to conduct random searches, what if i am a Murderer getting away? by the time they obtain a warrant i will be gone. undecided
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by TVSA: 3:26pm On Mar 25, 2019
LisaAnne:
Nigerian policemen don't follow rules
Some do not even know the rules.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by miko1988(m): 3:26pm On Mar 25, 2019
Don't worry when Dey snatch ur car ask dat question
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 25, 2019
Yes! they are allowed by law to search your car, as long as they make you aware politely of their Intentions and reasons for searching your car.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by BleedingPen: 3:27pm On Mar 25, 2019
Raydos:
That's how one policeman stopped my uncle that year, After asking for everything in which my uncle provided

All because this policeman want to extort money my from uncle, He con say: "Why your car seat rough like this like say you just finished banging someone for inside car""

Lolz. Like seriously?
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by BrokenCock: 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2019
There have no right to search except they have a warrant. you as a Nigerian must search them first before they search you. IT,s IN THE Constitution.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by BrokenCock: 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2019
gypsey:
Err.. i Don't think so. They don't have to have a warrant to search your car. They are allowed by law to conduct random searches, what if i am a Murderer getting away? by the time they obtain a warrant i will be gone. undecided
they can only take you for questioning not car search, not arrest.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 25, 2019
BrokenCock:
they can only take you for questioning not car search, not arrest.
And lf i have 10 kilos of Cocaine in my car? and a grenade?

who said anything about Arrest?
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by TVSA: 3:36pm On Mar 25, 2019
gypsey:
In that case, there is a probable cause.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nostradamus: 3:39pm On Mar 25, 2019
Raydos:

lol.....

Am I the only one who believe this is a lie??

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by AyakaDunukofia: 3:41pm On Mar 25, 2019
Back in the UK, there is an Act of parliament called PACE which stands for Police And Criminal Evidence Act 1984. It gives the Police powers to stop and search individuals in a public space based on "reasonable suspicion", an ambiguous phrase that implies sweeping powers.

I am sure there is a similar Act in Nigeria. There are pros and cons of this sort of law. But it is however in the overall interest of the citizens.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nostradamus: 3:45pm On Mar 25, 2019
Raydos:

lol......

Why do I believe this is a lie
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by jeff1607(m): 3:51pm On Mar 25, 2019
Sunofgod:
If you are a suspect then yes.

In the eyes of the Nigerian police every citizen is a suspect.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
LisaAnne:
Nigerian policemen don't follow rules
Nigerian Citizens Dont obey rules neither do they know their right. You are driving without drivers license or complete papers of the vehicle and you think you will go free abi? As a lady, a policeman forcefully search you and all you could do is complain to your neighbour at home instead of doing the proper thing and you will say police Dont follow rules when you Dont even know your right

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
Onyekachi419:
what are you saying?
He just said the truth, read and understand
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 25, 2019
Elliot2:
I can't count how many times I have saved keke n taxi drivers from parting away the normal egunje they pay the olokpas,and or being searched. Just a smile on my face and a "officer officer,good morning dis afternoon. I dey hail o," from where I am seated does the magic. Look,we are all frustrated, including the olokpas,so u trying to add yours to them is the most unfortunate thing to do. Be polite with them even when they are not, at the end of the day u can quote the law if offended when Naija is no longer a zoo. For now just respect yasef b be mindful of ur village pipo.

Most of the drivers part away with their money because they know they Dont have complete papers of drivers license or parked at a wrong spot. If taken to court, they will be fined huge sums or spend nothing less than 6 months in jail. Just do the right thing. (not in support of it though but that is the reason those drivers pay them)

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Taigreg(m): 4:14pm On Mar 25, 2019
ceejay80s:
what if ur car was stolen and the person that stole ur car drive pass them, so......they should allow him to go because they dont have warrant, oga if ur papers are complete, u don't need to panic, except u steal the car or driving without a valid license , allow them do their job please

Laws are laws, and because it doesn't suit you in some circumstances doesn't make it any bad. That's the reason many people right has been trampled upon since people aren't really interested in doing things the right way.

have had a series of encounters with the Police where they left their work unattended to only to be extorting people all in the name of Vehicle search.
Re: Does The Police Have The Right To Stop And Search My Car? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Mar 25, 2019
unclenna:
Those guys are there on illegal duty or they Dont know the powers they have. I have every right to search you except you have immunities which you obviously Dont have. If you prevent me from the search, i'll charge you with obstuction to performance of lawful duty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Offa Poly Student Commits Suicide Over Handout Money / Nigerian Arrested With 513 Grams Of Heroin In Delhi / Ghanaian Loses N15m To Fake Nigerian Spiritualists

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.