Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,782 members, 7,945,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:44 PM

Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye (2701 Views)

Police Reinstates dismissed Amos Olaniyan (Photos) / Court Reinstates Elected LG Chairmen In River State / Wike Reinstates Sacked Lecturers, Appoints Chief Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by IykeD1(m): 9:21pm On Apr 28, 2007
@noblezone

Now, let us seperate Dariyes corruption from the constitutionality of his impeachment. They are two seperate issues. Very soon, Dariye will no longer be governor and the EFCC can try him as much as they want. By then, just watch out and see if the judiciary will not punish him. Surely, they will.

Finally, I will also point out that OBJs administration is not fighting corruption, rather they are using corruption fight as an excuse to deal with those that do not answer "yes sir". If they are fighting corruption, this election would be cancelled for it was marred with high level corruption.

Which judiciary are you talking about? The Nigerian judiciary? Please don't make me laugh!
I know its all about OBJ - he made Dariye loot all that money! After May, it will be Yar Adua's
fault for what ever looting and other corrupt act that will be committed by any elected person.

We really deserve the leaders we have with this line of thinking. Hey, why stop looting since I
know the people's hatred for the president is enough for them to side with me no matter my offense? And lest I forget, you can bet on the "esteemed supreme court" to interpret the
constitution in black and white every time, comma for comma, and period for period!
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by celemel(m): 10:34pm On Apr 28, 2007
@ Iyke-D
I have few questions for you.  Did you vote on the 14th and 21st of April?  Am sure the answer is a big No!  Do you know how it feels like for u to goto a polling station to vote only to wait in vain forever for polling officials that would never turn up?  And for you to hear on radio the next morning that the very voting that you did not see occur has been won by a landslide margin by a little corrupt politician around the corner?  And, what on earth makes you believe that Yar'adua has been elected to preside over the affairs of Nigeria?  With whose mandate would he ever contemplate of fighting corruption?  These are issues that should prick our minds!  Not, I repeat, not the impeachment of a corrupt politician who's tenure is guaranteed to come to an end someday with all the  corresponding immunity.  EFCC has no business in impeachment.  Let them investigate Dariye and all other thieves including the biggest of them all, OBJ.   Afterwards, they can wait for the thieves to come down from their olympian heights and be arrested and jailed!

If we impugn on the integrity of the supreme court, which has been recently delivering justice without fear or favour, then I suppose we are finished as a people, for the judiciary has so far proved to truly b the last hope of the common man. Democracy means government of the people.  The people of Plateau elected the house of Assembly in Plateau state.  They also elected the Governor.  If the actions of the governor are dissattisfactory, the house has the power to impeach him.  If however, the house does not feel disatisfied by the conduct of Dariye, they have the prerogative to keep him, no matter how bad all other persons may feel.  That is how democracy works.  And, it cannot be different in our own case.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by IykeD1(m): 2:58am On Apr 29, 2007
@celemel

You are right I did not vote (could not) this past election. Having said that, that doesn't mean I don't
have an idea how it feels to be dis-enfranchised. I see you are falling for the same trap as a lot of
people in the forum - they lump everything together. We are discussing Dariye and the Supreme Court,
not the last elections. People are letting their personal hatred for OBJ cloud their vision or judgment with
respect to the damages these rulings are having on the country - what message are they sending?

If we impugn on the integrity of the supreme court, which has been recently delivering justice without fear
or favour
, then I suppose we are finished as a people, for the judiciary has so far proved to truly b the last
hope of the common man. Democracy means government of the people. The people of Plateau elected the
house of Assembly in Plateau state. They also elected the Governor. If the actions of the governor are
dissattisfactory, the house has the power to impeach him. If however, the house does not feel disatisfied
by the conduct of Dariye, they have the prerogative to keep him, no matter how bad all other persons may
feel. That is how democracy works. And, it cannot be different in our own case.

I am not sure I buy all that. You are saying the people of Plateau elected the House. It was the same House
that impeached him, but oh wait a minute, it wasn't the complete full House, never mind that Dariye most
likely have the others in his pocket. This is the same reason why Ibori or Igbinedion still remained governors
as they essentially bought the House. How do you expect to make a break from that cycle of corruption? Is
that the wish of the people too? Like I said, there is no reason for Alams not to be brought back to power.
I am sure the people of Baylesa will find it in their heart to forgive him. The Delta Militants now do have a
genuine case to continue their crusade as their demand with respect to Alams' release is yet to be met.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by tarfaadam(m): 6:17pm On Apr 29, 2007
hei ya nawa o for nija this issued of protecting criminal is bcoming wankind to nijas but he is not the only supect in this country but the are way huntin him
But is just because it seem to afraid of some criminal lik him.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Mamajama(m): 4:11pm On Apr 30, 2007
The greatest fool of our times. DARIYE return to Jos. he has been in seclusion for over 6 months, now the question is how will he escape the trap we set for him now? he will be arrested on the 29th and will be arraign before a court of Law in Abuja.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by McKren(m): 4:39pm On Apr 30, 2007
The Supreme Court is simply promoting corruption.

The traditional definition of democracy has always been government by the people and for the people, but I look at some of these judgements and I wonder if Nigeria's democracy is actually for the people.

This is no victory for democracy, this is victory for corruption.

I second Iyke-D, Alams and tafa Balogun should as well be re-instated. In fact The Nwude's and Anajemba's should be refunded their hard earned fraud moiney. Because what is the point, after all the hardwork by Ribadu some fools will sit somewhere and make nonsense of it all in the name of protecting textbook democracy.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Mamajama(m): 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2007
In contrary to that judgment, I think this is good, we set trap for his ass to come back, now lets see how he will escape the second time after may 29th
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by adefred: 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2007
Governor Joshua Dariye again served fresh impeachment notice by Plateau State lawmakers on the day he resume in office after the illegal impeachment.

is this not Bad Belle? The man have 29 days to handover, it's better and honourable to allow him complete his tenure and depart peacefully?
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by IykeD1(m): 9:52pm On Apr 30, 2007

is this not Bad Belle? The man have 29 days to handover, it's better and honourable to allow him complete his tenure and depart peacefully?

And we wonder why we keep getting these type of leaders. Where does the word honourable fit in the above picture?
If the Supreme Court in interpreting the laws didn't see anything wrong in re-instating an impeached governor 29 days
to the end of his tenure, what is wrong with him being served another impeachment notice within the same time frame?

If there is anything this country excels in, its in creating confusion.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by DisGuy: 11:18pm On Apr 30, 2007
adefred:

Governor Joshua Dariye again served fresh impeachment notice by Plateau State lawmakers on the day he resume in office after the illegal impeachment.

It is also better and honourable to respect bail!

"I want the deputy governor to cooperate and handover properly. This dodging-dodging will not help,"-BBC
Mr Dariye says he will "pump a lot of money" into a state-owned university he was building before he was impeached last November.

"pump a lot of money" hint hint wink
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 01, 2007
My problem is not Dariye! He can rot in jail for all I care. My problem is that the laws of the land are broken in order to deal with a "rebel". Like I said, if we celebrate the impeachment of Dariye by six law makers because he stole, then let us also celebrate the impeachment of Peter Obi of Anambra State without due process. Peter Obi didnot "chop" money like Dariye but the same machinery removed them.

Ngige refused to "chop" money, and when the same machinery could not remove him through impeachment, he was kidnapped. When the kidnapping failed, he was removed through tribunal for election rigging. The truth is that the removal of Ngige was not because he rigged election, rather he refused to "chop" and "share" money. It is too bad that our situation is thus jinxed, but let us know that only the courts can bring sanity.

I think we are being unnecessarily childish by saying that the illegal removal of Dariye must stand because he is corrupt. Tommorow, it will the illegal removal of a good man, then what do we do?

The Supreme court is doing a great job. They dont support corruption let alone Dariye, but the issue is was the removal of Dariye constitutional? No!

As I said earlier, let us blame our constitution which says that a serving governor is immunised against the law. If our present government is really fighting corruption, they would have sponsored a bill to amend that. They wont because they are also guilty. Let us support the Judiciary. For now, they seems to be the only ones that can bring sanity to out lawless soceity.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by McKren(m): 4:44pm On May 01, 2007
@ Nobblezone

You are simply lumping everything together, Peter Obi or Ngige are simply not in the same league as Dariye or Alams. While Ribadu spearheaded the latter two owing to their records the previous two were simply political.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by mazaje(m): 6:50pm On May 01, 2007
the constitution of the land is the most paramount and it reings supreme.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by IykeD1(m): 10:03pm On May 01, 2007
Yes, it reigns supreme - but lets keep rewarding these looters, give them more
refuge under the law so we can produce bigger and better looters, and see if
there will be a place or a domain left for "the constitution" to reign over in ten
years. . . Its like telling someone in erstwhile Liberia, Sudan, or Zimbabwe about
the supremacy of the constitution - that will be a joke.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Dreloaded(f): 10:07pm On May 01, 2007
Next time, do things properly and the crooks won't be able to hide under the constitution, how can any serious person believe an impeachment carried out by six persons is legitimate? Dariye is not really the issue - if he got impeached by the 2/3rds of the house required by law, the supreme court would not intervene, as happened in alams case, but the overt haste in which the 'impeachment' was carried out against Dariye was wrong.

Besides, now he has come out of hiding (which was why he wasn't arrested). I suggest EFCC wait for him outside Rayfield in Jos on May 29th to arrest him this time.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Nobody: 8:46am On May 02, 2007
McKren:

@ Nobblezone

You are simply lumping everything together, Peter Obi or Ngige are simply not in the same league as Dariye or Alams. While Ribadu spearheaded the latter two owing to their records the previous two were simply political.

@McKren,

That is the dummy the OBJ adminstration is selling to Nigerians, that they are fighting corruption. Both the motive and the goal are all the same in all the cases. They are all political! And not just politcal, they are crude polital vendatta. The only difference is, those they have something against like Dariye and Alams, EFCC will step in to make it more dramatic. Let me ask you, between Odili and Alams who stole more? Why did the EFCC not arrest the Rivers State Assembly members, take them to Lagos or Abuja, lodge them in a hotel, threaten them to sign impeachment notice, drive them to Port Harcourt with batallion of mopol, let them sit and impeach Odili by 5.00pm and afterwards drive them back to Lagos or where ever? Rumour had it that the Rivers State speaker was found with "plenty" money in Abuja, why did the EFCC not arrest him? Yet the same EFCC arrested the speakers of Bayelsa and Plataeu.

Simple: Odili was a good boy (until he said no when they asked to step down for the presidential race). Alams on the other hand was up in "arms" against OBJ talking tough. The truth is, from the perception of the colonial masters in Aso Rock, you can steal, kidnap, mime, kill and loot all you can and still not be corrupt. You are corrupt only if you are found to be disloyal. Atiku looted, but was not "corrupt" until he became "disloyal".

Mind you, Peter Obi was impeached for "corruption". Ngige was not allowed to contest for "corruption" but Alao Akala is not "corrupt". Andy Uba is not "corrupt". Even Chris Uba is an "elder states man" to the extent that at the age of about 40yrs, he became a member of the Board of Trustees of the mis-rulling (sorry, I meant rulling, na typographical error) party.

I am not celeberating that the supreme court restored Dariye ( I heard he's been served another impeachment notice), rather, I am celebrating that the supreme court is upholding the rule of law.

If you think that the removal of Alams and Dariye was about corruption, then you have bought the dummy being sold by the Aso Rock political chess masters. Their removal was pure political games, with corruption fight as a "screen saver". I neither pity Alams nor Dariye, but just no that whenever motive is wrong, everything else will be wrong.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by McKren(m): 10:13am On May 02, 2007
@Nobblezone

Can you advice us on Joshua Dariye's sins and who between OBJ and Atiku he was loyal to before his demise

Can you also advice us on how the Aso Rock chess masters were able to get Alams and Dariye travel to london with £1m and then caught by London metro-politan police.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by Nobody: 11:41am On May 02, 2007
@McKren,

Dariye was a good "boy" of the PDP not just for OBJ or Atiku. As a matter of fact, N100 million out of the money he stole was paid to the PDP (he claimed OBJ instructed him to do so). PDP paid back the money before Dariyes case went public.

So what was Dariye's "crime"? In a brief background, I hope you recall that before the EFCC led commando style of impeachment, that Dariye was suspended for 6 months as a result of his position on the religious/ethnic voilence in his state? Througout the history of this country, it is always that certain religious/ethnic group takes it upon themselves to kill who so ever they feel that deserves death. They do and most of the time get away with it because the government (local, state and federal) do nothing about it. Even the victims do accuse the federal police and soldiers of joining the killings. This religious/ethnic group believes they if you come to their domain, you must bow to their dictates and if they come to your domain, you must also bow their dictates. Any thing outside of this is death.

A portion of them migrated and settled in Plateau and are insisting on annexing the land and the people. Any resistance from the people will attract violence. This continued until the Plateau people got angry and retaliated and sent those people packing. Their losses was so much that they could not believe it. Now, Dariye did not hide his position and did not condemn what his people did. He was bold enough to state that if the settlers do not want to be killed, then they should stop killing. This alarmed the settlers group all over the country and they gave ultimatum to the federal govt. Its either Dariye goes or Nigeria will burn. Every attempt to make Dariye change his position failed, he refused to be apologetic. He refused to answer "yes sir". And OBJ had to scarifice him. Dariye was sacked to stop the ethnic/religous blood lething from excalating. The declaration of that state of emergency was met with different reactions depending of the ethnic/religous bias.

OBj went to a meeting over the issue in Jos, and CAN (Christian Association of Nigeria) asked him that all along Christians were being slaugthered and government never did anything, how come now that the moslems got back a little that and they were running and shouting? OBJ simply relied "CAN my foot". The desire to punish Dariye for his position was so hot that everything possible was done to undo him.

See the link below.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f123052004.html

As for Alams and Dariye travelling overseas with money, almost all the governors, Assembly members, Atiku and OBJ all travel abroad with our money. It is only when you are disloyal that yours become an issue.

McKren, did you not hear of the money on presidential jet that was linked to Ota farm? And guess who was directly involved? Andy Uba - special assistance to OBJ. If Andy Uba was disloyal as at then, OBJ would had gone on air (perhaps 9.00 pm NTA prime time) and make a National Broadcast. There is rumour here that Odili owns a hospital overseas, how did the moeny get out?

Mind you and please dont get me wrong. I am in no way condoning the looting, I am only saying that there is no corruption fight going on. What we have is a smoke screen, behind is a politics of survival of inidividuals. The wife of Good Jonathan was caught with some money, yet the matter died a natural death. His name (Jonathan) was in the EFCC list "version 1", but it disappeared in "version 2". Why? He is still a "good boy". Let him make a slip and you will see what the Police, Army, EFCC, ICPC, etc will do to him. The guy will be smart enough and he will answer, "yes sir" then no problem.

That is just an example.

McKren? Please, is this thing too hand to understand? It beats my imagination what Alao Akala is doing being governor SELECT (elect?) of Osun State. Even when Ladojas panel indicted him, do you know what INEC said? "Its an after thought and inconsequentail". Boy! This is madness and it makes me sick.

Pls, do you have Panadol? My head is aching. Take care
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by McKren(m): 11:57am On May 02, 2007
When I saw the length of your work, I thought you would come up with something tangible. You are still lumping issues together, what has religous crisis got to the with the issue of debate.

Please tell us how the chessmasters got Dariye and Alams to be caught by London Met police with life cash.

I don't subscribe to the concept of a corrupt Mr A being innocent because there is a corrupt Mr B which has not been prosecuted. That defence can not stand anywhere in the world.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Dariye by tng(f): 9:11am On May 04, 2007
I think the issues are being mixed up here.What noblezone and co are trying to say is that even when dealing with CORRUPT leaders, we should apply the rule of law as regards the constitution. Agreed, it has huge flaws but that is what is available so we have to obey it.
What is the role of the judiciary? To interprete the laws made by the legislature. Is dariye corrupt? Yes. Was he removed constitutionally? No. That is the point.

NB:When the issue of constitution amendment came up, these are the issues that should have been brought up and not tenure extension.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Arrest Senator Gbenga Ogunniya With Ballot Boxes / Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? / Closure Of Flood Victims Camps Across Nigeria: How Timely?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.