Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,821 members, 7,872,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:09 PM

When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? (21793 Views)

Once Husband And Wife Sleep In Different Beds, The Marriage Is Almost Over ..... / I Love My Wife & My Kid, But I Want To Leave The Marriage. Help! / The Marriage List Given To A Man In Akwa Ibom State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 9:32pm On Apr 05, 2019
“Take responsibility of your own happiness; never put it in other people’s hands.” ― Roy T. Bennett
Many times, you may have found yourself relying on someone else to make you feel happy . Sometimes they do but most of the times they do not. And who can blame them? No one can blame them even though we find ourselves mad at them for falling below our expectations of them making us happy. What many people do not realize is that our happiness is our responsibility. No one was put on earth to make another person happy. In as much as we may want to make others happy and require that they also make us happy, it is not our or their responsibility to make anyone happy. That is the cruel fact that we must face and wake up from. When we understand that our happiness is our responsibility, no one will ever have the power to make us unhappy.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 9:33pm On Apr 05, 2019
The phrase “You owe me” should never be said in a marriage.
There’s an underlying current to “you owe me.” It tells the other person that they must do something nice for you in return or else. Or else you’ll resent them. Or else you’ll withhold physical or emotional affection. Or else you’ll slack off on your marriage duties until they repay you somehow.
Common themes in wedding vows are things like “for better or for worse, in sickness and in health,” and within those sentiments is the apex of marriage: to love selflessly.
Marriage is a committed partnership to honor one another, and “you owe me” sucks the love and respect right out of a relationship. Marriage is about give and take, yes, but it is also about putting your partner’s needs ahead of your own. It is sacrificial love. It is setting aside what makes you happy and instead doing what makes your partner happy.
My saying “you owe me” was really me saying, “We are not equal partners right now. I have the upper hand and I’ll be damned if you don’t find a way to return the favor.” It forced him to feel as though he had to make it up to me — and fast — or something detrimental might occur. It might take away his option, his choice, his heartfelt desire to love me selflessly, and turned it into a requirement.
That is not love.
Marriage is hard. Even good marriages are riddled with difficulties, barriers, and bleak seasons.

1 Like

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 05, 2019
Okay, just imagine your 'real' happiness when you become single again.
So, DIVORCE him NOW!
grin
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by useful4us(m): 9:41pm On Apr 05, 2019
LordKO:
Such pronouncement is inevitable when a sane person is dealing with a typical small-minded person. . . to a small-minded person the world revolves around him/her. She can only be happy when she succeeds in subjugating you, so it's either your dominion, dignity or sanity. But as an unconquerable person, when you've indulged enough of her bullshit after exhausting diplomatic and volitional slavery mechanisms in your arsenal to maintain peace with her, without her being satiable as expected, you let out the blunt statement.

Meanwhile, staying put in the relationship or not will depend on many personal factors. OP if you're the one in this situation, let go of either your possessive or domineering attitude and see how harmony and happiness will automatically locate you and yours.

Truly, he doesn't owe you happiness, but surely he owes you goodness. If he can't offer you goodness, it means he's insane, and a sane person shouldn't be caught putting up with an insane person.

This your brain ehn, I am sure it was not manufactured in Nigeria.
u murdered the topic and buried it. I doff my hat o

10 Likes

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by gerizzim: 9:45pm On Apr 05, 2019
Anoda tin we shud look at is wat was the offshoot from wc the man made dt statement.

Is it dat the woman hz bin mekin unreasonable demand or usually mek unrealistic request dat always wear the man out or is it dat the woman is not appreciative enough dat lead to that outburst.?
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 05, 2019
Pointguardusa:
Story of naija

Husband: do this so that you can become a more responsible wife.

Wife: no, who are you to advise me? You are a wicked husband, you always do evil, you are a snake, you want to dominate me, I can never trust you, bla bla bla........................................

Husband: okay if you feel this way about me there is no point remaining in this marriage. We should separate.

Wife: never, we are married and our marriage is not negotiable. Rather than us separating I will rather poison both of us and we will both die.

Husband: this marriage is not working so why are you being unreasonable?

Wife: I don't care. Rather than see you enjoying a better marriage it's better we both die.

Damn mehhhnnn!
This shiit is fuccking scary
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by abbatoir(m): 9:47pm On Apr 05, 2019
Guest007:

Maybe it's just the language used that I'm finding uncomfortable, I don't think I owe anyone happiness because that's not my job as a human being. I can control the conditions and the environment, be sure not to cause drama etc...

I might give you love and attention but you just need space... I've been bought gifts and told jokes and I just couldn't appreciate it, because I needed to work through my feelings.

Knowing all this why would I expect happiness from others... haven't you been in a crowd and felt lonely, or in the most beautiful surroundings, but you were sad. Other times you're sat down doing absolutely nothing special yet, you feel overwhelming happiness.

People can try to make you happy but it's your choice to be happy.
To buttress your point...True happiness is simply inner attitude.. although exclusively designed for few individuals..Take it or leave it!

Such real happiness is actually a Grace from God to man... having attained special spiritual standard..Now tell me:how many people on this evil, wicked and spiritual indolent world can achieve such standard??

To put it straight:the standard is simple but advance.. it's not far from what Jesus brought:LOVE!
I say to you: Ability to love unselfishly is not far from happy Life... when you give freely and unselfish... Trust me..u attain the God's standard.

Hence, your happiness lie in your hand!

I rest my case!
Note; Giving here is not merely materials giving oo.but rather your natural self...in consideration and respect to your fellow.. you give!

2 Likes

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 05, 2019
[quote author=crackhaus post=77208538]Even if he was thinking it, there was really no point saying it.
That just smacks of someone who talks too much
[img]https://media1./images/41623c30893884b0cd1b2d696a3abd33/tenor.gif?itemid=9495358[/img]

Please shut up
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by tunize(m): 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2019
No one truly owes anybody happiness cos we're our own happiness. In aspect of relationship or marriage, we try as individuals to put smile on our spouses face. Sometimes u can be near perfect to ur spouse but they might not be happy.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by princemillla(m): 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2019
ImaIma1:
No point staying. Happiness comes from within and you don't need anyone to make you happy. But a spouse should contribute to your happiness. If he or she cannot, that person aint worth it

Most mature comment so far
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Jman06(m): 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2019
eyinjuege:
yes...
your happiness lies with you my dear.
I like a straight talking man/woman and its good you all know the scores early on in the union.
it helps to prepare you mentally for any upheaval or what not.

So, why get married in the first place if your partner can't at least help you ease off the worries of this life by making you happy and relaxed when you're together. Especially in cases where the couple is yet to conceive

Aside bearing children, making each other happy is very important in a marriage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Jaynom(m): 10:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
yvelchstores:
But in all honesty no one is responsible for your happiness but you. Your spouse is not responsible for making you happy. Happiness is sole your responsibility! This is solid truth whether we women like it or not
Pesin wey get sense!!!
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Omudia11: 10:13pm On Apr 05, 2019
It is myopic to think that divorced people can't be happy.
Ecne:
Okay, just imagine your 'real' happiness when you become single again.
So, DIVORCE him NOW!
grin

1 Like

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Omudia11: 10:16pm On Apr 05, 2019
Too many dumb advices. Listen, anyone who can tell you to your face that he doesn't owe you happiness is a monster and is not worth your time. That dude don't care about you so good luck wasting more of your life with him.

A person who truly cares about you will guard their utterances towards you and will know that his happiness is your happiness.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by dalass(f): 10:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
pandv:
If your partners says he doesn't owe you happiness after you demand for improvement in some areas in the relationship, will you still remain in the marriage or relationship?
He's saying the obvious... Nobody owes you happiness.. You're the only one who must CHOOSE to be happy...So stay and keep that in mind in your relationship...although the person hard sha shocked grin

1 Like

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by alert01(m): 10:37pm On Apr 05, 2019
Guest007:
I am happy by nature so don't make me sad!

No one owes anyone happiness, we owe each other the conditions in which we can be happy. You are the one in control of your happiness, don't let anyone tell you otherwise grin grin grin

lies.. women like you prefer their man to love bomb them
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by sammychimex(m): 10:53pm On Apr 05, 2019
zeb04:
I will remain in the marriage but I won’t owe him happiness too so he can learn that it doesn’t work that way especially if it is something that requires compromise.

U are wise
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by sacajawea: 1:21am On Apr 06, 2019
Guest007:
Women's most unhealthy mindset is this prince charming ideology, and we have to stop it! Look for a teacher in a man, a disciplined man... forget this "make me happy" bs, and go figure out your life, you have to deal with the problem rather than reverting to feelings. It's not easy being a woman, and society won't allow us to change and grow but we can't give our powers away and then cry victims!

#GIrlPoWer grin
Yeah the Way You Sleep with Someone's Husband Too abi? Rubbish!
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 2:57am On Apr 06, 2019
Ablechukwu:

My dear Research more.

No one can be without a reason . . . .Dont let your hatred for women cloud your reasoning, whatever you give a woman is what she will incubate and give it back to you double, give her happiness and she will give you joy but give her miserable life and she will give you 7 feet
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by golddeejay(m): 5:22am On Apr 06, 2019
That statement means the person is not committed to you.

Most people go into relationship or marriage thinking it is only for sex and bearing children.

Been in a relationship means you have to sacrifice or inconvenient yourself every now and then to make him/her happy.

So that's a very wrong thing for anyone in a relationship to say.

With that said, no one should depend on another for his/her happiness. You create you own happiness... anything from anyone should be 'added' happiness.

2 Likes

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by chibuzorAbia: 5:39am On Apr 06, 2019
Fhemmmy:

No one can be without a reason . . . .Dont let your hatred for women cloud your reasoning, whatever you give a woman is what she will incubate and give it back to you double, give her happiness and she will give you joy but give her miserable life and she will give you 7 feet

Nobody can give you 7 feet without your consent, same way as nobody can give you happiness if not you are not happy within you.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by chibuzorAbia: 5:42am On Apr 06, 2019
golddeejay:
That statement means the person is not committed to you.

Most people go into relationship or marriage thinking it is only for sex and bearing children.

Been in a relationship means you have to sacrifice or inconvenient yourself every now and then to make him/her happy.

So that's a very wrong thing for anyone in a relationship to say.

With that said, no one should depend on another for his/her happiness. You create you own happiness... anything from anyone should be 'added' happiness.

And how many of these lofty marriages do you see in real life? Not easy to attain especially with all these useless entitled women we have all over the place.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Daeylar(f): 6:22am On Apr 06, 2019
You didn't really give a lot of background info to your story though but I would assume that you just wanted your partner to make a little improvement to make the relationship better so in that case I agree with everyone who says your partner is wrong for making that statement.

Of course we all know that no one owes us happiness and happiness comes from within and yidi yada yada (which is why it was so unnecessary to make that statement.)

But you should try to bring a smile to the face /try to bring happiness to the person you claim to love once in a while. It should make you happy to see your partner happy and make you even happier to know that what you did is a reason for such happiness.

The fact that no one owes anyone happiness doesn't mean you walk around with a DGAF attitude when it comes to your partner's happiness. Neither does it mean that you deliberately or unintentionally do something to hurt your partner and when your partner brings it to your attention, you silence and dismiss your partner by proclaiming loud and clear that you don't owe anyone happiness.
Nah
Being so cold as to utter "I don't owe you happiness" just doesn't cut it.

Now like I said. I don't know the background story on why your partner told you that, but if the story is like what I described above. I would leave.

1 Like

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by NoToPile: 6:29am On Apr 06, 2019
Omudia11:
Too many dumb advices. Listen, anyone who can tell you to your face that he doesn't owe you happiness is a monster and is not worth your time. That dude don't care about you so good luck wasting more of your life with him.

A person who truly cares about you will guard their utterances towards you and will know that his happiness is your happiness

Nice points.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by mechanics(m): 10:28am On Apr 06, 2019
That statement has weight o, you need to find out the reason of him or her saying that, if no tangible reason, he or she has to flee.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Nigerianization(m): 12:50pm On Apr 06, 2019
LordKO:
Such pronouncement is inevitable when a sane person is dealing with a typical small-minded person. . . to a small-minded person the world revolves around him/her. She can only be happy when she succeeds in subjugating you, so it's either your dominion, dignity or sanity. But as an unconquerable person, when you've indulged enough of her bullshit after exhausting diplomatic and volitional slavery mechanisms in your arsenal to maintain peace with her, without her being satiable as expected, you let out the blunt statement.

Meanwhile, staying put in the relationship or not will depend on many personal factors. OP if you're the one in this situation, let go of either your possessive or domineering attitude and see how harmony and happiness will automatically locate you and yours.

Truly, he doesn't owe you happiness, but surely he owes you goodness. If he can't offer you goodness, it means he's insane, and a sane person shouldn't be caught putting up with an insane person.

Thou art a brutally honest fellow
Bravo

8 Likes

Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 06, 2019
Daeylar:

Now like I said. I don't know the background story on why your partner told you that, but if the story is like what I described above. I would leave.

*Coughs* Errrm leave to where exactly? Aren't you married legally?
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by ogawisdom(m): 2:56pm On Apr 06, 2019
pandv:
If your partners says he doesn't owe you happiness after you demand for improvement in some areas in the relationship, will you still remain in the marriage or relationship?

Childish question

He or she does not owe u happiness
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by ogawisdom(m): 3:12pm On Apr 06, 2019
bukatyne:
I am of the opinion that it is the husband's duty to make the wife happy ditto the wife. If I wanted to make myself happy, I would remain single.

@OP: Very unfortunate as you would have a hard marriage however not a basis for divorce or separation.

Happiness is a choice
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by ogawisdom(m): 3:21pm On Apr 06, 2019
PaulAris:

I think you misunderstanding this
In as much as no one should be/is responsible for our happiness is true
We still owe our partner(s) a sense of responsibilty for that.
Its just to improve in a particular aspect right?
Ok lets take for example, your sex life.
If you had an husband who doesn't satisfy you sexually and you ask him for an improvement and he tells you he doesn't owe you one bit of happiness(like you claim is the truth).
What do you then, do you say to yourself "Oh yh he's right, I'm solely responsible for my happiness." You then go to use a Love Machine or a preferably find someone who can satisfy you??
Is that it?
Or you acknowledge the fact that you guys owe eachother benefits and responsibilities.
Imperfect people working towards...

Happiness does not depend on anything but your will power, it's just a choice. whether u are sexually satisfied or eat onces a day you can still choose to be happy. Your understanding of happiness is shallow.
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by ogawisdom(m): 3:28pm On Apr 06, 2019
Guest007:

Sounds like a misunderstanding somewhere. Why not call it what it is *unsatisfactory sex life* it's not happiness, it's something that can be worked on...

Haven't you seen people who just don't make each other happy. They could have everything but they are not happy what can you do for such a person? Is it your fault they're not happy?

Now if she said your D size doesn't make her happy. What do you do? He says after all these years, and this family, he isn't happy.

I think people are using the wrong word here! Instead of using the word happiness, state what is the issues and deal with the issue.

Cheating*
Lying *
Hygiene*
Finances*

Deal with the issue

Too much sense will not kill you.
Spot on
Re: When He Says I Don't Owe You Happiness. Will You Still Remain In The Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2019
Your post is vague @op.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My hubby want me to break my sim / I Suspect My Friend Of Bad Luck Aura / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.