Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,521 members, 7,885,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 03:25 AM

Sing Me A Bus Song. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sing Me A Bus Song. (518 Views)

I Was Almost Lynched By A Bus Conductor / ""you Are Free To Sing"" - a poem about true Nigeria system / Four Things I Learnt From Boarding A Bus This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sing Me A Bus Song. by HappyPagan: 12:24am On Apr 06, 2019
It was a Thursday morning and the early traffic wasn't doing much to calm my nerves.

I was on my way to an interview, and wasn't feeling too well. Months of being jobless had only succeeded in building a CV of failed interviews. I didn't expect this experience to be any better.

'Rumuola, Mile 1, Park, enter, enter...hold your change o!!!', the conductors called out as they tried to attract passengers from the passing crowd.

Some police officers stood at the bus parks, holding large sticks in their hand. The sticks were used to control traffic, like a herdsman directs his cows.

I jumped into the closest bus. "Jumped" because there were about twenty other passengers trying to get on the bus at the same time too... and the driver wasn't waiting for anyone. One of the policemen had already spotted him, and was heading towards us.

"Enter quick, enter quick, make I close door.."

The conductor rolled the rickety door as the last passenger squeezed in. The bus driver stepped on the accelerator, but he wasn't quick enough to dodge the swinging arm of the police officer.

"BOOM!!!!" A loud heavy sound at the back of the bus... our journey had officially begun.

As the bus meandered its way through traffic along Aba road, I pulled out my phone and sunk my attention into it, trying to force my thoughts away from the interview I was going for. Fortunately, there were no preachers on the bus, so I had little to distract me.

It was as we climbed up the bridge after Bori Camp I noticed a warm, pleasant feeling growing through the bus. I thought I was high, then I remembered I was too broke to be high.

I looked away from my phone, and noticed the source of my sudden joy. In the row ahead sat a little girl, dressed in a light pink top and an oxblood skirt.

She was humming this song, a song I had never heard before, words I may never know... but on this bus, for the first time in my life, I heard innocence sing.. i heard true beauty from the mouth of a kid..

It was like her voice collected all the adult suffering on the bus, and made it feel lighter... even the road felt smoother.

For about two minutes, she had us in her spell. Her voice drained me of all hopelessness I felt - it felt like God was vacuuming my heart.

'Oga, I go drop here'.

We had reached her bus stop. As she stepped off the bus, I felt sad, felt like she was taking a part of me with her. I watched her run across the road, and dash into her school, looking so merry and happy.
Re: Sing Me A Bus Song. by Mujtahida: 5:10pm On Jun 22, 2019
HappyPagan:
It was a Thursday morning and the early traffic wasn't doing much to calm my nerves.

I was on my way to an interview, and wasn't feeling too well. Months of being jobless had only succeeded in building a CV of failed interviews. I didn't expect this experience to be any better.

'Rumuola, Mile 1, Park, enter, enter...hold your change o!!!', the conductors called out as they tried to attract passengers from the passing crowd.

Some police officers stood at the bus parks, holding large sticks in their hand. The sticks were used to control traffic, like a herdsman directs his cows.

I jumped into the closest bus. "Jumped" because there were about twenty other passengers trying to get on the bus at the same time too... and the driver wasn't waiting for anyone. One of the policemen had already spotted him, and was heading towards us.

"Enter quick, enter quick, make I close door.."

The conductor rolled the rickety door as the last passenger squeezed in. The bus driver stepped on the accelerator, but he wasn't quick enough to dodge the swinging arm of the police officer.

"BOOM!!!!" A loud heavy sound at the back of the bus... our journey had officially begun.

As the bus meandered its way through traffic along Aba road, I pulled out my phone and sunk my attention into it, trying to force my thoughts away from the interview I was going for. Fortunately, there were no preachers on the bus, so I had little to distract me.

It was as we climbed up the bridge after Bori Camp I noticed a warm, pleasant feeling growing through the bus. I thought I was high, then I remembered I was too broke to be high.

I looked away from my phone, and noticed the source of my sudden joy. In the row ahead sat a little girl, dressed in a light pink top and an oxblood skirt.

She was humming this song, a song I had never heard before, words I may never know... but on this bus, for the first time in my life, I heard innocence sing.. i heard true beauty from the mouth of a kid..

It was like her voice collected all the adult suffering on the bus, and made it feel lighter... even the road felt smoother.

For about two minutes, she had us in her spell. Her voice drained me of all hopelessness I felt - it felt like God was vacuuming my heart.

'Oga, I go drop here'.

We had reached her bus stop. As she stepped off the bus, I felt sad, felt like she was taking a part of me with her. I watched her run across the road, and dash into her school, looking so merry and happy.

You write so beautifully Bro. Your writings are airy, exquisite and rolls off effortlessly. Ever consider writing a novel?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sing Me A Bus Song. by HappyPagan: 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
Mujtahida:

You write so beautifully Bro. Your writings are airy, exquisite and rolls off effortlessly. Ever consider writing a novel?
Thanks. Really appreciate the compliment.

I'll write one someday - lots of stories in my mind. Don't know if I'll have the focus and drive to complete though. I'm a man of half-finished stories, although I've improved in the past year.. (I'm sure urahara and daelyar will agree grin)

This is my longest writeup.
https://www.nairaland.com/2828556/luciferean-series-understanding-christianity
I intend to publish a collection of my articles on here - probably in a digital format.

(1) (Reply)

Choices 2: Adeola's Dilemma (A Short Story By Philips Afolayan) / Erotic Lesbian Romance Writer Needed!!! / Response To Adaeze's Suicide Note (poem By Seun Ogundolapo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.