Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,294 members, 7,894,252 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 06:30 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1586354 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:49pm On Nov 18, 2011
McMillan Memorial Library

McMillan Memorial Library was built in 1931. Formerly a private institution, it became a public institution after being taken over by Nairobi City Council in 1962. Its name has on occasion shifted from Nairobi City library to Sir Northrup McMillan Memorial Library, to its present McMillan Memorial Library. It is located next to the Jamia mosque in Nairobi's Central Business District. The library features a wide collection of books and other publications as well as being home to parliamentary archives. As of the year 2002, the library housed over 275,000 volumes including an Africana collection. Furniture by the famous writer Karen Blixen can also be spotted in the premises. Access to books and documents from the library are by membership.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:50pm On Nov 18, 2011
Norfolk Hotel.

Some say that Nairobi was practically built around this hotel. It was started in 1903 when Nairobi was starting out as a small outpost township. It has hosted various famous personalities from President Roosevelt to Queen Elizabeth. It was a meeting point for the settler community back then and has been witness to several historic moments in Kenya's history. It has since been remodelled several times but the most dramatic was following Kenya's first terrorist attack in the 80's on the hotel.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:52pm On Nov 18, 2011
Kenya National Archives, Moi Avenue

The Kenya National Archives was created in 1965 by an Act of the Kenyan Parliament. It is mandated with the stewardship of Kenya’s public records and national documentation services.

The land on which it stands was originally the Nairobi headquarters of the National Bank of India. The building in which it is housed, an enduring landmark of Nairobi, was constructed in 1931 by the National & Grindlays Bank. It was owned by Kenya Commercial Bank between 1970 and 1978 and thereafter acquired by the government of Kenya for the Kenya National Archives.

It houses the Joseph Murumbi Gallery on its ground floor which contains simply the largest collection of Africana from every corner of the African continent, from Mauritius to Ethiopia, Gambia to the Congo. There is a second gallery on the upper floor which provides a deep historical reflection of Kenya from the pre-colonial times (Circa 1890) to date.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:19am On Nov 21, 2011
Khoja mosque.

It was built for Nairobi's Ismaili community. its located on Moi avenue (Government road in those days). Im not sure when this was built but looking at old pics, my guess would be in the 1940's-50's.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:20am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
To whoever is photographing these photos.You should visit Kenyatta University.Since the entry of Olive Mugenda as vice chancellor ,Kenyatta university has transformed from looking like a disused high school to an ultra modern university.You can get superb pics of the best looking university in kenya today yu could photograph:
The post modern library.Although you will need permission to enter,the6000 capacity library is among the most modern library in africa today.copleted 2011
Onesmo ole moiyoi lecture halls built in 2009
KU ampitheatre completed oct 2011
Arts complex (twin towers) which hosts KU fm competed 2009
Students and business centre completed 2008
NYAYO 5 an6 male hostels.they look fabulous especially at night!
Ngong female hostels.
Engineering building compete 2011
Upcoming projects include
KU university referral and training hospital which is being built by the chinese govt at the cost of shs9 billion
KU unicity which will include a five star hotel a shopping complex and redesigning of the university
KU ultras modern administration block

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 7:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
GERALD710:

To whoever is photographing these photos.You should visit Kenyatta University.Since the entry of Olive Mugenda as vice chancellor ,Kenyatta university has transformed from looking like a disused high school to an ultra modern university.You can get superb pics of the best looking university in kenya today yu could photograph:
The post modern library.Although you will need permission to enter,the6000 capacity library is among the most modern library in africa today.copleted 2011
Onesmo ole moiyoi lecture halls built in 2009
KU ampitheatre completed oct 2011
Arts complex (twin towers) which hosts KU fm competed 2009
Students and business centre completed 2008
NYAYO 5 an6 male hostels.they look fabulous especially at night!
Ngong female hostels.
Engineering building compete 2011
Upcoming projects include
KU university referral and training hospital which is being built by the chinese govt at the cost of shs9 billion
KU unicity which will include a five star hotel a shopping complex and redesigning of the university
KU ultras modern administration block

Soon. wink
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
Lavington suburb.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by alfablondy: 12:57pm On Nov 23, 2011
@ gallivant. I was in Nairobi last week. The city is beautiful though there are slumps especially in the suburbs just like most other African cities. Some of the roads in the city need to be repaired. Nevertheless is a beautiful city. kenyans are nice to visitors whether black or white and i really enjoyed my stay there.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ssandl: 4:40pm On Nov 23, 2011
Dear all,
here are so many lovely images from Nairobi!
We are currently searching for images from Nairobi for the next issue of our hotel book (see former ones here http://www.designhotels.com/shop)
Since we will have a new hotel member in the next issue we want to show a bit more of Kenya´s capital in the Intro: buildings, neighborhoods, people.
Who would like to be in the book and certainly get one for free if images are used?

Deadline is shortly, best would be to get answer within this week. I´m really looking forward to it.
Thank you so much for your help, all my best
Steffi

Steffi Sandl

Production Manager

Design Hotels AG
Stralauer Allee 2c | 10245 Berlin/Germany |
P +49 (0)30 884 940 085
F +49 (0)30 257 698 96
s.sandl@designhotels.com | www.designhotels.com | www.madebyoriginals.com | skype s.sandl_ds
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 8:20pm On Nov 23, 2011
Hahaha gallivant.is that house in lavington green? near methodist guest house? grin

ssandl:

Dear all,
We are currently  searching for images from Nairobi for the next issue of our hotel book (see former ones here http://www.designhotels.com/shop)
Since we will have a new hotel member in the next issue we want to show a bit more of Kenya´s capital in the Intro: buildings, neighborhoods, people.
Who would like to be in the book and certainly get one for free if images are used?

Deadline is shortly, best would be to get answer within this week. I´m really looking forward to it.
Steffi

Steffi Sandl

Production Manager

Design Hotels AG
P +49 (0)30 884 940 085
F +49 (0)30 257 698 96
s.sandl@designhotels.com | www.designhotels.com | www.madebyoriginals.com | skype s.sandl_ds

Will revert.Lemmie check out that website first. Ok we can skype. I got ur name.
Thank you.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:43pm On Nov 25, 2011
alfablondy:

@ gallivant. I was in Nairobi last week. The city is beautiful though there are slumps especially in the suburbs just like most other African cities. Some of the roads in the city need to be repaired. Nevertheless is a beautiful city. kenyans are nice to visitors whether black or white and i really enjoyed my stay there.

Thanks for visiting and the comment.In Kenya just like the rest of Africa have yet to get our houses in order but we are getting there. smiley
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2011
ssandl:

Dear all,
We are currently searching for images from Nairobi for the next issue of our hotel book (see former ones here http://www.designhotels.com/shop)

Steffi

Steffi Sandl

Production Manager

Design Hotels AG
P +49 (0)30 884 940 085
F +49 (0)30 257 698 96

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I am not in Nairobi at the moment,I will help you with the pictures just let me know the specifics.My email is mwiwa@bell.com
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:49pm On Nov 25, 2011
pendo89:

Hahaha gallivant.is that house in lavington green? near methodist guest house? grin

Yah! grin

Do you live in those ends?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
Karen

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:57pm On Nov 25, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:59pm On Nov 25, 2011
Galleria Mall - Karen

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:04pm On Nov 25, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:53pm On Nov 26, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 10:05pm On Nov 29, 2011
gallivant you are indeed a photographer. I saw some really cool houses at ridgeways. Was at night, I dont even know when they came up.
One house is the size of some shopping mall and its an estate lol! plus they are 2/3 storeyed. I need to pass by there during the day and take a good look.
The ridgeways fellows also have their own nakumatt.pretty cool. These nkt fellows are really making millions.
How about Runda lol! But I know you wont be allowed to take photos there. Am really liking this,even with my cool camera am not able to take such.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2011
pendo89:

gallivant you are indeed a photographer. I saw some really cool houses at ridgeways. Was at night, I dont even know when they came up.
One house is the size of some shopping mall and its an estate lol! plus they are 2/3 storeyed. I need to pass by there during the day and take a good look.
The ridgeways fellows also have their own nakumatt.pretty cool. These nkt fellows are really making millions.
How about Runda lol! But I know you wont be allowed to take photos there. Am really liking this,even with my cool camera am not able to take such.

Thanks.I can be arrested taking pictures of Runda and Gigiri espeacially now that we are at war with Somalia.However,I have some pictures from last year I will dig them up for you. Try to get those pics of rideways.smiley
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:30pm On Nov 30, 2011

And yeah,that is not me. grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:46pm On Nov 30, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 8:33pm On Dec 01, 2011
are u sure the guy in suit is not you.
I love those 'utado what' t-shirts.beautiful
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by hessy(m): 9:39am On Dec 02, 2011
Nairobi is very beautiful of late: http://www.kenyatravelholidays.com
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:36pm On Dec 02, 2011
pendo89:

are u sure the guy in suit is not you.
I love those 'utado what' t-shirts.beautiful

Yes I am sure lol.I have one of those Tshirts and both the green and red rugby jerseys.Your best bet is going online where surprisingy its cheaper than in town. smiley
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:44pm On Dec 02, 2011
pendo89:

Yeah I wont but I have some from last year.

[B]Gated communities of Gigiri and environs[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 10:48pm On Dec 02, 2011
[B] Nyari [/B]

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.