Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,399 members, 7,950,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:30 AM

Open Atheists - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Open Atheists (4153 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Atheists by Kay17: 1:11pm On Sep 24, 2010
Atheist are people who just want to appear cool.
Except if you feel inferior?
Re: Open Atheists by ilosiwaju: 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
mystikal:

Atheist are people who just want to appear cool. They feel it makes them gullible to believe in the existence of a God inspite of their Education and/or Status.

Its trending anyway! Got loads as friends!

Wow! Some smart stuff you got there grandma. Not the dumbest in the world but close, if your friends are atheists because they want to appear cool, good for them, it makes your inference dumb and senseless though.
Re: Open Atheists by mystikal(m): 9:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
Reason without Faith = Vain

Faith without Reason = Vain
Re: Open Atheists by Purist(m): 9:00am On Sep 25, 2010
mystikal:

Reason without Faith = Vain

Faith in what?
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2010
Dolemite:

Firstly, I don't think my mother is a fool, just misguided. Secondly I hide my beliefs or lack of it because my family is madly religious and I will be persecuted daily if I come out openly, plus I was a Christian once upon a time and if someone told me then that there was no God, I would've wept for them, poor soul going straight to hell for eternity to burn without cease, I can't make my mother think that of me. And you talk about Christians in the north being brave about their religion, I laugh. . .if peter could deny the man who walked on water, multiplied the fish and loaves and did all these fantastic things, what chance does the average Joe in Sokoto have? It's easy to say I can defend my religion anywhere, even peter claimed he'd die for Jesus  grin, I'd like to see how you survive there in an intolerant society of Muslims.

And don't you think something is definitely wrong when children of Christian parents often grow up to become atheists? George Carlin, Bill Maher, Beko Ransome Kuti. . .not wrong with the parents but the religion. I know how you feel, we're so ignorant, flocking like sheep to the slaughter, going straight to hell I once preached it so I understand why you think think this.

hmm the usual misguided "its all the fault of christianity". Yes i think something is definitely wrong with your scenario but it has NOTHING to do with christianity but with you, your parents and the environment you grew up in. I was reading an article the other night and it talked about the subtle drift taking place in the lives of young people today . . . most of them erroneously believe they are "christians", go to church weekly, are members of youth groups, claim to be on "fire" for God (never mention Jesus) and YET are practicing moralistic therapeutic theism!

That unfortunately is what MANY parents pass on to their kids. there is the false notion that being "christian" is simply because you own a bible, attend church regularly and watch what you say. FALSE.

Where is the HEARTFELT devotion to the cause of Christ? Its not the fault of the bible that you dont have a personal relationship with Christ.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 10:50pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

Where is the HEARTFELT devotion to the cause of Christ? Its not the fault of the bible that you dont have a personal relationship with Christ.
I did have a personal relationship once upon a time, read my bible always (still do) prayed to god always, selfless service to the things of god all that, but the more I pondered on my belief asked myself questions, the more I saw it was just. . .well, rubbish really.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 25, 2010
Dolemite:

I did have a personal relationship once upon a time, read my bible always (still do) prayed to god always, selfless service to the things of god all that, but the more I pondered on my belief asked myself questions, the more I saw it was just. . .well, rubbish really.

mind sharing what part of it was rubbish?

The reason i ask this is that i was once in your shoes at some point . . . i read my bible daily, went to church 2ce a week most times and used to be known as a pastors kid. Well until i entered college and didnt want to be seen near a bible. Here's what i discovered . . . it is one thing to ASSUME you have a personal relationship based on your outward WORKS of religiosity and another thing to have a genuine heartfelt relationship with Jesus. No one gets to that level and calls it "rubbish". no one experiences what it means to speak to Christ and hear Him speak back and call it rubbish. Something went wrong somewhere and i insist it had nothing to do with the bible.

I would be interested in reading what changed your mind. thanks.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 11:02pm On Sep 25, 2010
That's what I mean, talking to 'christ' and hear him talking back at you, Muslims claim to hear from some god too, right after that they're blowing up buildings. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 25, 2010
Dolemite:

That's what I mean, talking to 'christ' and hear him talking back at you, Muslims claim to hear from some god too, right after that they're blowing up buildings. . .

Oh that's the rubbish you were talking about? then you were never in an intimate relationship with the Lord. Making such a claim does not necessarily mean you know what you're talking about. Balaam was a "prophet" too until he saw the riches of balak and though all that prophecy was rubbish too.

I have no problems with folks who are not interested in a belief in God, i have a problem with many who try to use the bible as cloak for their own personal choices. Its ok to say you simply got tired of the caged atmosphere that christianity must somehow engender (felt the same way too).

I still have no idea why folks who blame the bible for everything have a hard time articulating their positions succinctly.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 11:57pm On Sep 25, 2010
davidylan:

Oh that's the rubbish you were talking about? then you were never in an intimate relationship with the Lord. Making such a claim does not necessarily mean you know what you're talking about. Balaam was a "prophet" too until he saw the riches of balak and though all that prophecy was rubbish too.

I have no problems with folks who are not interested in a belief in God, i have a problem with many who try to use the bible as cloak for their own personal choices. Its ok to say you simply got tired of the caged atmosphere that christianity must somehow engender (felt the same way too).

I still have no idea why folks who blame the bible for everything have a hard time articulating their positions succinctly.
That is just a little part of it, and what makes you an authority to judge someone's intimacy with 'the lord' by what someone thinks, if it's truly an intimate relationship then you have no way of knowing whether someone has it or not, you don't know what my relationship with 'god' was back then so don't judge. And I'm not blaming the bible for anything, apart from being filled with contradictions and unverifiable claims. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 1:47am On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

That is just a little part of it, and what makes you an authority to judge someone's intimacy with 'the lord' by what someone thinks, if it's truly an intimate relationship then you have no way of knowing whether someone has it or not, you don't know what my relationship with 'god' was back then so don't judge. And I'm not blaming the bible for anything, apart from being filled with contradictions and unverifiable claims. . .

And here's why atheists dont take us seriously, because all of us arrogantly assume we can define our christian walk independent of the bible and mostly to suit our own selfish desires. The christian walk is not unique to any individual . . . its just the same as described in John 3. My mom used to tell me something that i find valuable today . . . salvation is not a long list of rules and forcing urself into a mould . . . you're either saved or not. Salvation is a thing of the mind, it cant be hidden . . . anyone who has tasted of its goodness CANNOT turn around and call it rubbish unless of course such an one was never saved in the first place.

Search your heart . . . see something else isnt always the cause of our problems.
Re: Open Atheists by Kay17: 12:43pm On Sep 26, 2010
It was an illusory satisfaction, at the presumed presence of god in your life. god did communicate back, in my words and desires!
Actually, salvation is achieved by following the list; do not steal another man's wife, pay tithes,
then the doors(i wonder why human inventions are commonly used) of heavens would open up to you,
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 5:12pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

. . . anyone who has tasted of its goodness CANNOT turn around and call it rubbish unless of course such an one was never saved in the first place.
You are sadly wrong on that, I have tasted the goodness you speak of, and still discovered it's rubbish, sorry whatever you tell yourself to feel better about your religion but there are people who experience the believer state of mind and still reject their religion, I was one of them. A true believer CAN'T be converted, there is nothing you can tell Tom Cruise for example about the  non-existence about an alien creature in space who created the world, he's going to call you a blasphemer and kick you out of his house - that's because he's in the believer state, you are there too but to you it's a 'John 3' experience, to Tom Cruise it's the essence of Scientology and ironically both of you are SURE to you are walking the one true path. . .

For someone in this believer state doubt has to germinate from within that person usually starts small, that person has to question his beliefs, which is what I did, and that doubt grew to be the atheist you see before you, thank god for that. John 3 experience, Scientology, Islam. . .all rubbish.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

You are sadly wrong on that, I have tasted the goodness you speak of, and still discovered it's rubbish, sorry whatever you tell yourself to feel better about your religion but there are people who experience the believer state of mind and still reject their religion, I was one of them. A true believer CAN'T be converted, there is nothing you can tell Tom Cruise for example about the  non-existence about an alien creature in space who created the world, he's going to call you a blasphemer and kick you out of his house - that's because he's in the believer state, you are there too but to you it's a 'John 3' experience, to Tom Cruise it's the essence of Scientology and ironically both of you are SURE to you are walking the one true path. . .

For someone in this believer state doubt has to germinate from within that person usually starts small, that person has to question his beliefs, which is what I did, and that doubt grew to be the atheist you see before you, thank god for that. John 3 experience, Scientology, Islam. . .all rubbish.

i didnt understand a word of what you just typed.

You seem genuinely confused.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

i didnt understand a word of what you just typed.

You seem genuinely confused.
O believer, ask god to interpret what I typed, let him 'talk' to thee showeth thee things thou knowest not. . . grin
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

O believer, ask god to interpret what I typed, let him 'talk' to thee showeth thee things thou knowest not. . . grin

Oh dont worry, he already spoke of people like you 2000 yrs ago. Amazing isnt it.

You said a lot of things based on your christian experience was rubbish, but there is very little with regard to what exactly you disapproved of.

From experience i notice a lot of people who end up like you more often than not simply rebel based on the feeling that christianity prevents you from enjoying the life that sin offers.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 6:03pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

You said a lot of things based on your christian experience was rubbish, but there is very little with regard to what exactly you disapproved of.
First of all the idea that there is a god in heaven who supposedly looks after us, to me that doesn't seem very logical. Secondly the whole idea of faith, following blindly to someone who claims to have heard from god, like you for example - not very hot on that idea either, thirdly the validity of the claims of the religion even the authenticity of the birth of Jesus is questionable. . .there's really not one thing that made me doubt, but a collection of things that made me reject this lunacy. . .and speaking of lunacy I think I've forgotten how the voice of god sounds like, is it a deep baritone voice? or it soft and feminine, please remind me. grin

davidylan:

From experience i notice a lot of people who end up like you more often than not simply rebel based on the feeling that christianity prevents you from enjoying the life that sin offers.
Sure, I decided to risk eternal damnation in the fiery pits of hell because I ant to sin a little for my few years on earth? negro please.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

First of all the idea that there is a god in heaven who supposedly looks after us, to me that doesn't seem very logical.

what's illogical about it? I guess the opposing belief that you descended from monkeys is a much better alternative?

Dolemite:

Secondly the whole idea of faith, following blindly to someone who claims to have heard from god, like you for example - not very hot on that idea either

But you do exercise "faith" in your every day life dont you? "faith" that the sun wont fall out of the sky and that it will rain when it shld and that night will follow the day . . . wonder why you're hot on those ideas afterall no one knows who set those patterns in motion.

Dolemite:

thirdly the validity of the claims of the religion even the authenticity of the birth of Jesus is questionable. . .

This is the go-to argument for those grasping at straws. there are historical documents supporting his birth and plenty of the claims in the bible . . . the problem is many of you are simply not interested in researching about what you were taught. You'd be surprised how much evidence exists that corroborates the bible even down to the names of the ancient towns.

Dolemite:

there's really not one thing that made me doubt, but a collection of things that made me reject this lunacy. . .

that to me seals it. I was posting in the other thread how a lot of the time atheists DOUBT first then go around ferreting for excuses to justify their doubt. Most of the time there is no basis for the doubt save you simply want to throw the bible overboard.

Dolemite:

and speaking of lunacy I think I've forgotten how the voice of god sounds like, is it a deep baritone voice? or it soft and feminine, please remind me. grin

Depends . . . Elijah called it a still small voice, i call it the voice of conscience.

Dolemite:

Sure, I decided to risk eternal damnation in the fiery pits of hell because I ant to sin a little for my few years on earth? negro please.

you're a lot more confused than i thot. There is no coherence to your thot pattern as regards your christian faith. Its simply a mish-mash of watered down excuses one can find anywhere on the internet.
Re: Open Atheists by mazaje(m): 6:47pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

what's illogical about it? I guess the opposing belief that you descended from monkeys is a much better alternative?

Where did she declare that she believes she descended from monkeys?

This is the go-to argument for those grasping at straws. there are historical documents supporting his birth and plenty of the claims in the bible . . . the problem is many of you are simply not interested in researching about what you were taught. You'd be surprised how much evidence exists that corroborates the bible even down to the names of the ancient towns.

Pls where are the historical evidence that support the birth of Jesus outside the bible?. . . .The bible is NOT a historical document but a religious document and we all know what a religious document is. . . .So because the bible has the name of real places means its stories are true, eh?. . . .If you read "Gone With the Wind" you will find accurate descriptions of Atlanta and the US Civil War, when you tell fictional stories which occur in real places, the places being real doesn't affect the fictionalization of the stories. Mohamed's grave is still there for all to visit in Saudi Arabia, the names of real places exist in the Koran and the haddith , so how does that validate the claim that Mohamed was visited by and angel and told to do most of what the things others wrote about him?. . . . .

that to me seals it. I was posting in the other thread how a lot of the time atheists DOUBT first then go around ferreting for excuses to justify their doubt. Most of the time there is no basis for the doubt save you simply want to throw the bible overboard.

The way you go about confidently spewing rubbish makes me laugh most of the time. . . . . .
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 6:54pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Actually it is, considering the fact that the very computer you're using right now was invented by someone who decided think for himself and solve his own problems instead of relying on some god in the sky to do it for him. I go with science all the way.

davidylan:

But you do exercise "faith" in your every day life dont you? "faith" that the sun wont fall out of the sky and that it will rain when it shld and that night will follow the day . . . wonder why you're hot on those ideas afterall no one knows who set those patterns in motion.
Lol where have I heard this before?(insert mish-mash of watered down explanations found on the internet here) anyway I don't exercise faith in anything, if things go bad I look for a logical explanation, I don't sit on my ass and say god made it happen. . .that's the difference between me and a believer.

davidylan:

Mithra, Dionysis. . .look it up jack! even the catholic church acknowledges this fact, their explanation for it was that Satan knew of Jesus's coming. . .went back in time to counterfeit it, I'm sure god told them this.

davidylan:

When you ask questions you find answers which leads to more questions, hence not one thing made me doubt. . .

davidylan:

you're a lot more confused than i thot. There is no coherence to your thot pattern as regards your christian faith. Its simply a mish-mash of watered down excuses one can find anywhere on the internet.
You are just too arrogant to see the portrait I'm painting you here, so in your pride you simply say I'm confused. . .maybe I am though, I don't know who/what made the heavens and the earth, but if your explanation for this is that some god made it all then I am not impressed. . .and I can see this 'discussion' slowly turning into a trade off of insults as it mostly does when I talk with believers like you so I'm done with you. . .oh and when next you talk to god, tell I said hello.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 26, 2010
oh dear, these guys never have a clear idea what it is they intend to pass across beyond jumping from place to place opposing everything. There are questions on the other thread, why have you abandoned that to resume here posting the VERY SAME THINGS already taken care of in other threads?

mazaje:

Where did she declare that she believes she descended from monkeys?

She didnt need to, i was only reminding her of the alternative. Man cannot exist in a vacuum no matter how much dishonest lies you all come up with. either you believe you were created, or you descended from monkeys or you just appeared by magic . . . see none is "logical" . . . i am only interested in knowing why ONLY the religious claim is branded as illogical and scorned.

mazaje:

Pls where are the historical evidence that support the birth of Jesus outside the bible?. . . .The bible is NOT a historical document but a religious document and we all know what a religious document is. . . .So because the bible has the name of real places means its stories are true, eh?. . . .If you read "Gone With the Wind" you will find accurate descriptions of Atlanta and the US Civil War,  when you tell fictional stories which occur in real places, the places being real doesn't affect the fictionalization of the stories. Mohamed's grave is still there for all to visit in Saudi Arabia, the names of real places exist in the Koran and the haddith , so how does that validate the claim that Mohamed was visited by and angel and told to do most of what the things others wrote about him?. . . . .

Been there done that . . . i think you've been presented plenty of evidence since 2008. That you persist in asking this question EVERY MONTH is indicative that you are not on a quest to know, simply interested in opposing.

mazaje:

The way you go about confidently spewing rubbish makes me laugh most of the time. . . . . .

I'd like someone to one day lay down exactly what this "rubbish" is.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

Actually it is, considering the fact that the very computer you're using right now was invented by someone who decided think for himself and solve his own problems instead of relying on some god in the sky to do it for him. I go with science all the way.

Hmmm, here we go with the knee-jerk science worship again. Ok for starters, i am a christian but i also hold a phd in molecular biology so pls spare me all that "science" stuff. you're not conversing with someone with no science background either.

Perhaps being in science the last 5 yrs has opened my eyes to one salient fact - science really is WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. The example (of the computer) you put up is completely out of place here. No one is arguing that science is not responsible for inventions . . . even during the bible days they were still inventing tools to make their lives easier, it didnt make them any less reliant on a saviour.

However there is one thing people like you dont want to see - that science has its limits. For instance no matter how science tires, it cannot create LIFE (now that is a prerequisite for inventing a computer no? . . . i mean sand cannot simply wake up and design a fridge can it?). The question then becomes WHERE did that very life come from? A creator, monkeys, pathogens or magic? Which of those are "logical"?

Dolemite:

Lol where have I heard this before?(insert mish-mash of watered down explanations found on the internet here) anyway[b] I don't exercise faith in anything, if things go bad I look for a logical explanation[/b], I don't sit on my backside and say god made it happen. . .that's the difference between me and a believer.

Can you LOGICALLY tell us why the sun doesnt drop from the sky pls and why there is no life on other planets? For all the empty bloviating about "logic" . . . you really dont exercise it at all. It is not logical that as vast as the universe is, this is the only planet that has life on it. Why? What made conditions so perfect for us here and not mars?

Dolemite:

Mithra, Dionysis. . .look it up jack! even the catholic church acknowledges this fact, their explanation for it was that Satan knew of Jesus's coming. . .went back in time to counterfeit it, I'm sure god told them this.

the minute i saw mithra here i knew you really were just another ignorant noise maker. It seems you're knew here but the myth that the gospels were copied from mythra has been thrashed out here so many times. I dont have time to dig up the relevant threads but i will at least try.

smh. Some assume they sound intelligent just by throwing words around. We've seen it all here dear. Even mazaje wont claim not to have discussed such false claims here before. Amazing how they believe in mithra and then call the bible a myth. . . then cloak themselves with the claims of being "logical" at the same time.

Dolemite:

When you ask questions you find answers which leads to more questions, hence not one thing made me doubt. . .

i dont see such a coherent pattern here based on what i've read so far. What questions did you ask? Where did you seek answers?

Trust me there are WAY MORE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS in science where you pretend to hide your head. Has any of them made you doubt yet? Let me ask you a simple one - where does life come from scientifically speaking?

Dolemite:

You are just too arrogant to see the portrait I'm painting you here, so in your pride you simply say I'm confused. . .maybe I am though, I don't know who/what made the heavens and the earth, but if your explanation for this is that some god made it all then I am not impressed. . .and I can see this 'discussion' slowly turning into a trade off of insults as it mostly does when I talk with believers like you so I'm done with you. . .oh and when next you talk to god, tell I said hello.

1. the only reasin this may devolve into a trade off of insults is down to one thing (and its not a new pattern starting with you) . . . atheists have a very poor grasp of either the religion they despise or the science they wrap themselves around . . . soon as they run out of gas they either turn to insults or accuse others of insulting them.

2. The portrait you are painting is one of a confused person grasping at straws to justify your unbelief.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 26, 2010
this is for dolemite . . . here is one out of the few threads dealing with the "mithra" issue you raised . . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-343660.0.html

- First post contains a link to a comprehensive debunking of the silly mithra claims

This was way back in 2009 . . . which is why your "look it up Jack" comment had me chuckling . . . apparently some of you assume you do know anything at all.

Your claim that "even the roman catholic church acknowledges this fact" is no surprise . . . its the same claim that has been pushed (notice the thread above has deepsight making the same unfounded claim) by other atheists before you - many of you just parrot the same lines with no evidence at all.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 7:35pm On Sep 26, 2010
And where did I say I believed in Mithra? for someone who claims to have a phd you're pretty slow, read between the lines believer, you just make judgements from your silly assumptions- very annoying.

davidylan:

2. The portrait you are painting is one of a confused person grasping at straws to justify your unbelief.
That is your interpretation and you're entitled to it, to some the Mona Lisa is a masterpiece, to others. . . undecided and I'm not trying to justify myself to you, I don't have to. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 7:37pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

this is for dolemite . . . here is one out of the few threads dealing with the "mithra" issue you raised . . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-343660.0.html

- First post contains a link to a comprehensive debunking of the silly mithra claims

This was way back in 2009 . . . which is why your "look it up Jack" comment had me chuckling . . . apparently some of you assume you do know anything at all.

Your claim that "even the roman catholic church acknowledges this fact" is no surprise . . . its the same claim that has been pushed (notice the thread above has deepsight making the same unfounded claim) by other atheists before you - many of you just parrot the same lines with no evidence at all.
Ok? I mentioned two names yet you choose to dwell on Mithra. . .I could give you more pagan gods that share similarities with Jesus if you want. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

And where did I say I believed in Mithra? for someone who claims to have a phd you're pretty slow, read between the lines believer, you just make judgements from your silly assumptions- very annoying.

I think what truly is annoying is many of you come here with an inflated opinion of your own ideas . . . i understand it can be pretty irritating to discover you really dont know much afterall.

Look i NEVER said you believed in mithra . . . READ MY OWN POSTS . . . no where do i make such a connection. However like most other misguided atheists . . . you try to push the mithra claim as "evidence" that the bible stories are not real and are just a regurgitation of ancient myths. That is what i addressed in my post not your belief in anything.

For someone who accuses others of being slow, you're not much faster either.

Dolemite:

That is your interpretation and you're entitled to it, to some the Mona Lisa is a masterpiece, to others. . . undecided and I'm not trying to justify myself to you, I don't have to. . .

no problem. you really dont have to . . . you dont have to pretend that you have a grasp of what you cry about either.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

Ok? I mentioned two names yet you choose to dwell on Mithra. . .I could give you more pagan gods that share similarities with Jesus if you want. . .

you didnt need to mention 20 names. The very fact that you included mithra blew any credibility you might have had out of the water. It just means that like others you simply parrot claims you yourself have not studied in detail. If you dont know anything about mithra then how am i confident you have any clue as to who dionysius is?

You can give me more pagan gods of course, google is your friend.

I took the time to look up dionysus as well . . . smh. The less said about this sheer display of ignorance the better. I cant be half-bothered to post the rebuttal here. I can only advice you to read up first before name-dropping. Absolutely disgracefully poor scholarship. And these are the ones who claim to go with science all the way? What sort of science exactly?
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 7:48pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

you didnt need to mention 20 names. The very fact that you included mithra blew any credibility you might have had out of the water. It just means that like others you simply parrot claims you yourself have not studied in detail. If you dont know anything about mithra then how am i confident you have any clue as to who dionysius is?

You can give me more pagan gods of course, google is your friend.
Arrrgh, read between the lines! the point is NOT that I researched these pagan gods or not, I told you one of the reasons why I doubted was because of the credibility of Jesus's birth, the very fact that any pagan god can challenge this makes me doubt. . .and there are many out there. I don't have to research them one by one that would be useless not to mention time consuming, I've not even gone half way on that link you gave me so who knows how credible that one is?. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

Arrrgh, read between the lines!

there really is nothing to read there, stop flattering urself.

Dolemite:

the point is NOT that I researched these pagan gods or not,

then why the unnecessary name dropping? you could simply have made your point without it, if i hadnt done my homework well i'd have been sitting here thinking you knew what you were talking about. perhaps that's why clueless folks like rhino can set up threads claiming that atheists are "intelligent".

Dolemite:

I told you one of the reasons why I doubted was because of the credibility of Jesus's birth

What was wrong with the credibility? I'd like to know too. Maybe i could start questioning it as well. So far i think it has stood the test of time. 2000 yrs after we have nothing but folk tales from you all . . .

Dolemite:

the very fact that any pagan god can challenge this makes me doubt. . .and there are many out there.

1. it is not a fact that any pagan god challenges this.

2. the only thing that is fact here is that you DO NOT KNOW anything about these pagan gods, you have simply plagiarized the baseless claims of others while trying to co-opt them as your own independent thinking.

3. if the pagan claims are your reason to doubt the validity of Christ's birth then gosh . . . you must be darn ignorant.

Dolemite:

I don't have to research them one by one that would be useless not to mention time consuming,

intellectual laziness seems to be the in-thing now.

Dolemite:

I've not even gone half way on that link you gave me so who knows how credible that one is?. . .

As expected. You will simply go back and name-drop to your clueless friends and they'd go away with the false impression that you knew anything at all.

Bottomline dear - if you dont know something, dont pretend that you do. Issues like this are way over your head.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 26, 2010
this isnt really for dolemite, its for others who might be reading and wondering what all these pagan nonsense is about . . . here is a link that talks about a couple more of the popular pagan myths in more detail. All have credible links and sources that you can verify on your own.

Based on the false and baselessly silly claims made by NL in recent months, you may want to read more closely that of mithra, dionysus and horus. Also pay attention to the introduction to the article.

http://www.thedevineevidence.com/jesus_similarities.html
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

1. it is not a fact that any pagan god challenges this.

2. the only thing that is fact here is that you DO NOT KNOW anything about these pagan gods, you have simply plagiarized the baseless claims of others while trying to co-opt them as your own independent thinking.

3. if the pagan claims are your reason to doubt the validity of Christ's birth then gosh . . . you must be darn ignorant.

I did say I asked questions and made decisions by myself, you're so assuming it's ridiculous and annoying! and I'm ignorant to think that the story of Jesus could have been plagiarized from stories of pagan gods before? Ok, guess you know it all.

davidylan:

then why the unnecessary name dropping? you could simply have made your point without it, if i hadnt done my homework well i'd have been sitting here thinking you knew what you were talking about. perhaps that's why clueless folks like rhino can set up threads claiming that atheists are "intelligent".
Insecure about your intelligence? now I see where all this is from. . .

davidylan:

What was wrong with the credibility? I'd like to know too. Maybe i could start questioning it as well. So far i think it has stood the test of time. 2000 yrs after we have nothing but folk tales from you all . . .
The bible stood the test of time because once it was accepted Christians killed people who didn't believe or had different views. . .

davidylan:

As expected. You will simply go back and name-drop to your clueless friends and they'd go away with the false impression that you knew anything at all.

Bottomline dear - if you dont know something, dont pretend that you do. Issues like this are way over your head.
What the hell are you talking about? is this guy all right?  undecided
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 26, 2010
and just in case you also doubt the veracity of Christ's very existence on earth . . . here is more for you WITH CREDIBLE SOURCES AND LINKS to historical accounts (stuff that doesnt exist for the pagan myths our atheist "scientists" seem to claim to be "facts"wink . . .

http://www.thedevineevidence.com/jesus_historicity.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Is Actually God? / Don't Ever Dare God, Read What Happened To People Who Mocked God! / Notable American Business Men Who Are Tithers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.