Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,399 members, 7,950,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:30 AM

Open Atheists - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Open Atheists (4153 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Atheists by Kay17: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2010
@dolemite,
The last time, I argued with davidlyan, i got a headache!
Its impossible to reason with him,
Hardly makes coherent arguments,
If he has some sense, he would wake up,
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

I never said anything about independent thinking, I did say I asked questions and made decisions by myself, you're so assuming it's ridiculous and annoying! and I'm ignorant to think that the story of Jesus could have been plagiarized from stories of pagan gods before? Ok, guess you know it all.

Yes, you are completely ignorant. It doesnt take 20 mins to do a quick run through on the varacity of the pagan claims. Nothing to do about knowing it all . . . all we ask is that when you name-drop, best know what you're talking about.

Dolemite:

Insecure about your intelligence? now I see where all this is from. . .

oh yeah, we've no devolved to the point where its time to use personal insults to get out of the sticky patch that ignorance leaves us. I've never been insecure on one fact - that i am naturally curious and will always strive to verify information before posting.

Intelligence for me has never been in question since i was 5. Use another insult pls.

Dolemite:

The bible stood the test of time because once it was accepted Christians killed people who didn't believe or had different views. . .

oh dear, not another one of those baseless unverifiable claims again. Infact a lot of the anti-christian documents were written by roman historians and still exist till today. That of tacitus is one . . . a lot of the dead sea scrolls are virtually carbon copies of the books of the bible we have today including some books that were not even included in today's bible.

For example . . . the book of Jude makes a quote that is found no where in the bible. The discovery of the book of enoch among the dead sea scrolls is amazing in the fact that Jude's quote is found ALMOST VERBATIM in the book of enoch! One of the books hidden by sects persecuted by the Roman destruction of Jerusalem (the essenes) . . . i doubt if they had any power to kill off unbelievers since they didnt even survive the Roman onslaught . . . but its ok to stupidly parrot what you heard from others.

Dolemite:

What the hell are you talking about? is this guy all right?  undecided

perfectly ok, just leaving you a piece of advice that most of you are in dire need of.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2010
Kay 17:

@dolemite,

which is quite funny because i have been quite clear on every point i make and gone as far as now providing sources.

Its ok to admit that you dont really have a clue what you talk about and have a problem with those who dont just lie down and accept the bull you all spew.

I keep asking for one thing - kindly post in one line an example of my incoherence . . . i have yet to get a reply from any of you.

As i said on the previous thread - it seems many of you are simply arguing from a fixed position of close-mindedness . . . you've made up your minds so facts really dont matter.

Its true you may have a headache arguing with me, sure . . . unlike the midgets you prefer to take on to boost your ego, you'll actually have to know your stuff to argue with me. too bad.
Re: Open Atheists by Rhino3dm: 8:35pm On Sep 26, 2010
Kay 17:

@dolemite,
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2010
more cowards pouring in.

and here i was thinking atheists had a strong idea what they talked about.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

For example . . . the book of Jude makes a quote that is found no where in the bible. The discovery of the book of enoch among the dead sea scrolls is amazing in the fact that Jude's quote is found ALMOST VERBATIM in the book of enoch! One of the books hidden by sects persecuted by the Roman destruction of Jerusalem (the essenes) . . . i doubt if they had any power to kill off unbelievers since they didnt even survive the Roman onslaught . . . but its ok to stupidly parrot what you heard from others.
MY GOD!! this guy is so damn assuming!! I was talking about the era of the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, the English burning 'witches' in the name of God! that's all fiction too right?

All I see here is you beating your chest in arrogance about your sources and to everyone else is either name dropping or doesn't have credible sources. . .well this won't go anywhere now would it?
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2010
So i went back and took a look at some of Kay 17's "coherent" arguments on a prior thread (where he makes strenuous efforts to avoid having to defend his baseless positions) . . .

Okay, I lay the question who is god?

The problem arises, the definition of god. remember you ve rejected that provided by religion.

Is it a being responsible for the creation of the universe?

Does he form a small part of his own world?

The features of omniscient, omnipotent,  necessary?

If a 5 yr old asked this you would be quite displeased . . . has this fellow ever seen a bible let alone read one? If he did then the above "questions" are completely redundant.

I'll stop here . . . just having to take on the senseless comments of these bloviating cowards just makes me cringe. They'll be back pontificating quite soon.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

MY GOD!! this guy is so damn assuming!! I was talking about the era of the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, the English burning 'witches' in the name of God! that's all fiction too right?

Quite stupid. These happened donkey yrs AFTER the bible had already been compiled and had become common knowledge. the era of the crusades where NOT to kill enemies of the gospel (pls LEARN TO READ HISTORY PLS) but to stop the islamic advance both in Jerusalem and western Europe.

the Spanish inquistion was to force jews and muslims to convert to catholicism (by this time the bible was already set).

the reason i posted the point about the dead sea scrolls is simple (i know you're quite slow and wont get that so its alright) . . . the dead sea scrolls VALIDATE the bible, they are almost a carbon copy of the books found in the bible and a few not found in the bible. They also contain certain fragments that are not found in the bible as well. What is most incredible about this is that it completely tears the claim that the wars you post above were meant to "protect the bible" . . . that would be foolish as the dead sea scrolls themselves predate those wars!

Dolemite:

All I see here is you beating your chest in arrogance about your sources and to everyone else is either name dropping or doesn't have credible sources. . .well this won't go anywhere now would it?

There is no beating chest anywhere . . . i provide sources to buttress my claims, you make silly claims that dont hold water without providing any sources to back it up. If you understand science at all you shld know that citing sources is a very critical part of supporting your work.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

allow me to digress and address this a bit more, perhaps not in sufficient detail as i would have wanted. the above claims are what you would expect a muslim to make . . . What really was the essence of this? this came up based on this point raised by dolemite - The bible stood the test of time because once it was accepted Christians killed people who didn't believe or had different views. . .

Now how were the crusades, inquisition and burning witches on stakes the reason the bible stood the test of time? Seriously? What about the numerous roman historians who predated all these events and ACCURATELY recorded many of the biblical accounts in secular documents? There are MANY GNOSTIC GOSPELS . . . yet if we were to go by dolemite's false claim the authors of these books shld be dead and their books destroyed . . . how come the crusaders ignored them and chose to go fight the muslims at the gates of Vienna (the crusades really)?

How come the authors os many of the new testament books were all martyred and YET their books survived? Was this because their disciples went around killing enemies and unbelievers? Seriously?

Are these people so unable to think they just stumble from one talking point to the other?
Re: Open Atheists by Rhino3dm: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2010
Cowards like the pathetic jewish loon running for his life from some rag-tags thugs.
Thank you for bringing me back from retirement.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Cowards like the pathetic jewish loon running for his life from some rag-tags thugs.
Thank you for bringing me back from retirement.

I would be quite shocked the day you make a comment pertinent to any issue here . . .
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 9:01pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Quite silly. These happened donkey yrs AFTER the bible had already been compiled and had become common knowledge. the era of the crusades where NOT to kill enemies of the gospel (pls LEARN TO READ HISTORY PLS) but to stop the islamic advance both in Jerusalem and western Europe.

the Spanish inquistion was to force jews and muslims to convert to catholicism (by this time the bible was already set).

the reason i posted the point about the dead sea scrolls is simple (i know you're quite slow and wont get that so its alright) . . . the dead sea scrolls VALIDATE the bible, they are almost a carbon copy of the books found in the bible and a few not found in the bible. They also contain certain fragments that are not found in the bible as well. What is most incredible about this is that it completely tears the claim that the wars you post above were meant to "protect the bible" . . . that would be foolish as the dead sea scrolls themselves predate those wars!

There is no beating chest anywhere . . . i provide sources to buttress my claims, you make silly claims that dont hold water without providing any sources to back it up. If you understand science at all you shld know that citing sources is a very critical part of supporting your work.

davidylan:

allow me to digress and address this a bit more, perhaps not in sufficient detail as i would have wanted. the above claims are what you would expect a muslim to make . . . What really was the essence of this? this came up based on this point raised by dolemite - The bible stood the test of time because once it was accepted Christians killed people who didn't believe or had different views. . .

Now how were the crusades, inquisition and burning witches on stakes the reason the bible stood the test of time? Seriously? What about the numerous roman historians who predated all these events and ACCURATELY recorded many of the biblical accounts in secular documents? There are MANY GNOSTIC GOSPELS . . . yet if we were to go by dolemite's false claim the authors of these books shld be dead and their books destroyed . . . how come the crusaders ignored them and chose to go fight the muslims at the gates of Vienna (the crusades really)?

How come the authors os many of the new testament books were all martyred and YET their books survived? Was this because their disciples went around killing enemies and unbelievers? Seriously?

Are these people so unable to think they just stumble from one talking point to the other?

All I see you doing here is just running your mouth, or fingers on a keyboard in this case, where are your sources and how credible or biased are they, or did you do all these research by yourself, or perhaps god told you all these things. . .
Re: Open Atheists by spikedcylinder: 9:05pm On Sep 26, 2010
@ topic
Present sir!
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

All I see you doing here is just running your mouth, or fingers on a keyboard in this case, where are your sources and how credible or biased are they, or did you do all these research by yourself, or perhaps god told you all these things. . .

looks like you never bothered to read, its just easier to pass off insults.

As regarding the credibility of the sources, if you bothered to read any of the links i sent you would see each claim is carefully cited with original sources. Just as an example . . . Cornelius Tacitus is cited in his Annals XV, 44. I'm sure you know that's credible right?

I wouldnt put anything past these moose brains.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

looks like you never bothered to read, its just easier to pass off insults.
Show me where I have insulted you? you're the one throwing insults here. . .

davidylan:

I wouldnt put anything past these moose brains.
Aha, virtues of a Christian when their religion is questioned, the insults come out.

davidylan:

As regarding the credibility of the sources, if you bothered to read any of the links i sent you would see each claim is carefully cited with original sources. Just as an example . . . Cornelius Tacitus is cited in his Annals XV, 44. I'm sure you know that's credible right?
He cited Tactius and that makes the hole thing credible, my sources also cite historical figures. . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

Show me where I have insulted you? you're the one throwing insults here. . .
Aha, virtues of a Christian when their religion is questioned, the insults come out.

Christ called the pharisees a generation of vipers so i'm not bothered by such nonsensical claims.

Besides where did these address any of the issues on the thread? I thought you wanted to verify the credibility of sources posted . . . perhaps the problem is not whether the sources are credible or not, its more whether you are even aware that they exist in the first place. Calling you folks moose brains is not an insult really, its just an indication of how little you people truly know about the real world. The sad thing is that you still insist on exposing your ignorance by posting in sections that are obviously above your IQ.

Seriously, dont consider the above an insult. Just a candid advice.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

He cited Tactius and that makes the hole thing credible, my sources also cite historical figures. . .

Seriously just stop. this is getting more stupid by the minute.

1. Anyone who is doubting the credibility of Tacitus annals seriously needs help.

2. You DID NOT cite any sources. If you did pls indicate.

3. the mithraic claims you got from the internet WHICH HAVE NO SOURCES! Infact CREDIBLE historical sources debunk the claims, same with that of dionysus.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 9:25pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Christ called the pharisees a generation of vipers so i'm not bothered by such nonsensical claims.

Besides where did these address any of the issues on the thread? I thought you wanted to verify the credibility of sources posted . . . perhaps the problem is not whether the sources are credible or not, its more whether you are even aware that they exist in the first place. Calling you folks moose brains is not an insult really, its just an indication of how little you people truly know about the real world. The sad thing is that you still insist on exposing your ignorance by posting in sections that are obviously above your IQ.

Seriously, dont consider the above an insult. Just a candid advice.
And you want me to verify your sources in 10 minutes, really the point is your sources makes sense to you as mine to me, but unlike you I am willing to look at a different point of view while you? not so much. . .
davidylan:

Seriously just stop. this is getting more silly by the minute.

1. Anyone who is doubting the credibility of Tacitus annals seriously needs help.

2. You DID NOT cite any sources. If you did pls indicate.

3. the mithraic claims you got from the internet WHICH HAVE NO SOURCES! Infact CREDIBLE historical sources debunk the claims, same with that of dionysus.
1. Where did I say I doubted Tactius directly? show me!!

2. I didn't cite any sources yet, because when I called names you were quick to shut it down without wanting to know where i got such information from. Assuming as usual.

3. CREDIBLE he says, lol. . .that just proves what I've been saying all along.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

And you want me to verify your sources in 10 minutes, really the point is your sources makes sense to you as mine to me, but unlike you I am willing to look at a different point of view while you? not so much. . .

Cut the crap pls . . . you dont have any sources. I mean you didnt even know what mithraic claims were, you just name-dropped. I gave you a link from a 2009 thread, there are more from 2007 and 2008. I sent you a link that talked about the mithraic claim in detail WITH AUTHENTIC sources that debunk the wild internet rumours you regard to be "sources".

Enough of excusing your ignorance on the basis of you being willing to look at a different point of view . . . you dont even have a clue what YOUR OWN point of view is. I'm willing to look at different opinions, at least i do READ up on the issues. The same cannot be said of you.

Dolemite:

1. Where did I say I doubted Tactius directly? show me!!

you questioned whether the author's citing of tacitus made his work credible. Read your own last post (even if you dont read mine the least you can do is read yours) . . . you dont even know who tacitus is so stop the pretense.

Here was ur direct quote - He cited Tactius and that makes the hole thing credible

Dolemite:

2. I didn't cite any sources yet, because when I called names you were quick to shut it down without wanting to know where i got such information from. Assuming as usual.

you were going to cite these sources when? 2090? You didnt cite sources not because i "shut it down" but because you had none.

Dolemite:

3. CREDIBLE he says, lol. . .that just proves what I've been saying all along.

Yes i said credible sources . . . why dont you actually read them instead of pretending to know what we are talking about. Obviously you cant say if they are credible or not because you havent even come across them before.

Like i said before - what would you all do without google?
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

like you would bother if you had 10 yrs.
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 9:42pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Enough of excusing your ignorance on the basis of  you being willing to look at a different point of view . . . you dont even have a clue what YOUR OWN point of view is. I'm willing to look at different opinions, at least i do READ up on the issues. The same cannot be said of you.
More of your silly assumptions. . .

davidylan:

Here was your direct quote - He cited Tactius and that makes the hole thing credible
And when I say read between the lines he says I'm flattering myself, when I mentioned Tactius I meant any historic figure, do you comprehend?
davidylan:

Like i said before - what would you all do without google?
I don't see you citing REAL books. . .this is really going no where, I'm done.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

I don't see you citing REAL books. . .this is really going no where, I'm done.

Tacitus annals is a book my dear. I know . . . sometimes i wonder what they taught you in history class. It would have been helpful if you cited anything at all . . . maybe a pamphlet.

Yep it was going nowhere for a long time, sounded more like trying to teach a blooming  how to read.
Re: Open Atheists by mazaje(m): 9:49pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

and just in case you also doubt the veracity of Christ's very existence on earth . . . here is more for you WITH CREDIBLE SOURCES AND LINKS to historical accounts (stuff that doesnt exist for the pagan myths our atheist "scientists" seem to claim to be "facts"wink . . .

http://www.thedevineevidence.com/jesus_historicity.html

These links are based purely on hear say, most of the people (the writers talked about) were NOT alive when Jesus was born or when he was said to be alive, most were just challenging the Christian claims later on some about a century or more after the alleged death and resurrection of Jesus, NO body, I repeat NO body even the writers of the bible beside the writer of second peter has ever claimed to have meet Jesus when he was alive. . . . .

http://nobeliefs.com/exist.htm
Re: Open Atheists by Dolemite(f): 9:50pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Tacitus annals is a book my dear.
Which you got from Google no?

davidylan:

Yep it was going nowhere for a long time, sounded more like trying to teach a blooming  how to read.
Flattering ourselves again are we?  grin so ridiculous.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 26, 2010
mazaje:

These links are based purely on hear say, most of the people the writer talked about were NOT alive when Jesus was born most were just challenging the Christian claims later on some about a century after the alleged death and resurrection of Jesus, NO body, I repeat NO body even in the bible beside the writer of second peter has ever claimed to have meet Jesus when he was alive. . . . .

This makes no sense . . . at all . . . for instance from tacitus - "Christus, the founder of the [Christian] name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the
reign of Tiberius. But the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea,
where the mischief originated, by through the city of Rome also."

Does that sound like someone who was merely "challenging a myth"? That was CLEARLY attributing that Christ did exist, He did have a following (christians), christianity originated from Judeah and it spread far and wide up into Rome.

There are two things i would like to point out briefly:

1. You cant reserve certain arguments for the bible ALONE. To say that because the early historians were somehow not alive during the time of Christ invalidates their historical accounts is ludicrous. I notice this argument is only used when it comes to denouncing the bible . . . its funny however that VIRTUALLY 100% of the pagan claims that are also used by you and others to criticize the bible where also written by men who didnt exist until thousands of yrs after these mythical gods ever existed.

2. Rushing off to plagiarize internet arguments and co-opting it as urs is dishonest.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 26, 2010
Dolemite:

Which you got from Google no?
Flattering ourselves again are we?  grin so ridiculous.

i thot you signed out . . . i'd like to argue with those who at least have a slightly better idea what they are talking about. I get increasingly tired of air heads who only piggy back on the intelligence of others.

Besides you only just joined, we've been arguing this issue for the last 3 yrs on these boards . . . so sorry, some of us got to read a lot of this stuff yrs ago, in real books.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 26, 2010
mazaje:

These links are based purely on hear say, most of the people (the writers talked about) were NOT alive when Jesus was born or when he was said to be alive, most were just challenging the Christian claims later on some about a century or more after the alleged death and resurrection of Jesus, NO body, I repeat NO body even the writers of the bible beside the writer of second peter has ever claimed to have meet Jesus when he was alive. . . . .

Paul did dude. Stop making nonsense up. James did as well.

I mean seriously, you just posted James Walker's first point! do you have an independent brain at all? Read through the paragraph that deals with that issue . . . he writes a long treatise but NOT ONCE does he cite any credible source. So on what basis are we to take his claims seriously? Because he says what you want to hear?

Seems to me a lot of you have no independent claims besides just typing "did jesus exist" into google and rushing here with the first webpage you see.

Read thru the webpage, if i wrote that as evidence for Christ's existence who you accept it? He cites a certain Pagels in 1995!!! And he has the audacity to debunk bible history because it was written by folks who were not there when Christ was alive? I mean i would take history written in Ad 70 over one written in 1995!!! Its just like me writing the same article and citing Jim walker 1997!!!

Next he cites MSN encarta? What a joke! grin Encarta must have existed when Christ was alive no?
Re: Open Atheists by mazaje(m): 10:05pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

Paul did dude. Stop making nonsense up. James did as well.

I mean seriously, you just posted James Walker's first point! do you have an independent brain at all? Read through the paragraph that deals with that issue . . . he writes a long treatise but NOT ONCE does he cite any credible source. So on what basis are we to take his claims seriously? Because he says what you want to hear?

Where did Paul say that he ever meet Jesus when Jesus was alive?. . . . .Where did James ever say that he ever meet Jesus when Jesus was alive, WHERE?. . . . .

Paul
Paul never met a historical Jesus, and never claimed to.
He did claim to have had revelations "thru Christ" etc.
He did claim to have had a vision of Christ.
And others (Acts) claim Paul had a vision of Christ.

It is worth noting that Paul does not place Jesus in history :
* No places - Paul never mentions Bethlehem, Nazareth, Galilee, Calvary, etc.
* No dates - Paul never places Jesus in time.
* No names - Paul never mentions Mary, Joseph, Pilate, Judas, Nicodemus, Lazarus etc.
* No miracles - Paul never mentions the miracles/healings of Jesus
* No trial/tomb - Paul never mentions the trial or the empty tomb etc.
Paul's Jesus is a heavenly being, not a historical person. . . . . . .

James

There is no claim to have met Jesus in this letter , supposedly from Jesus' BROTHER, Yet it contains NOTHING anywhere about a historical Jesus, even where we would expect it. It is clear this writer had never even HEARD of a historical Jesus. If you have any passage in James where the writer says he has ever meet Jesus pls show me. . . . .
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2010
mazaje:

Where did Paul say that he ever meet Jesus when Jesus was alive?. . . . .Where did James ever say that he ever meet Jesus when Jesus was alive, WHERE?. . . . .

Paul

* No names - Paul never mentions Mary, Joseph, Pilate, Judas, Nicodemus, Lazarus etc.

James

There is no claim to have met Jesus in this letter , supposedly from Jesus' BROTHER, Yet it contains NOTHING anywhere about a historical Jesus, even where we would expect it. It is clear this writer had never even HEARD of a historical Jesus. If you have any passage in James where the writer says he has ever meet Jesus pls show me. . . . .

Please read 1 Corinthians 15 and stop making an ignorant fool of urself.
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 26, 2010
mazaje:

Paul

A lot of this is hubris. Paul wrote his letters as admonitions to the church not a diary of his travels.
Re: Open Atheists by mazaje(m): 10:16pm On Sep 26, 2010
davidylan:

This makes no sense . . . at all . . . for instance from tacitus - "Christus, the founder of the [Christian] name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the
reign of Tiberius. But the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time, broke out again, not only through Judea,
where the mischief originated, by through the city of Rome also."

Does that sound like someone who was merely "challenging a myth"? That was CLEARLY attributing that Christ did exist, He did have a following (christians), christianity originated from Judeah and it spread far and wide up into Rome.

Even Tacitus called the Jesus story a superstition, a superstition is not reality is it? Here it is again from the annals. . , 

"Christus, the founder of the name, had undergone the death penalty in the reign of Tiberius, by sentence of,  Pontius Pilate, and the pernicious [or wicked] superstition [Christianity] was checked for a moment, only to break out once more, not merely in Judea, the home of the disease, but in the capital [Rome] itself, where all things horrible or shameful in the world collect and find a vogue."

My arguments is NOT if Jesus existed or not, that is not my argument, as I said there is more evidence to show that prophet Mohammed existed than that of Jesus, his grave is still there in Saudi Arabia, what I am more interested in is the reality of the story, its very possible that there was a man behind the Jesus myth. just like the Mohammed myth and other mythical stories like that of Buddah etc

There are two things i would like to point out briefly:

1. You cant reserve certain arguments for the bible ALONE. To say that because the early historians were somehow not alive during the time of Christ invalidates their historical accounts is ludicrous. I notice this argument is only used when it comes to denouncing the bible . . . its funny however that VIRTUALLY 100% of the pagan claims that are also used by you and others to criticize the bible where also written by men who didnt exist until thousands of yrs after these mythical gods ever existed.

2. Rushing off to plagiarize internet arguments and co-opting it as urs is dishonest.

Some one talking about Obama in 100 or 200 years time after his death without ever seeing Obama is only relying on hear say assuming there are no videos and other electronic recordings of Obama. . . . . . .Tacitus and all were writing over 100 years after the death of Jesus, how is their written account of Jesus not hear say?
Re: Open Atheists by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2010
mazaje:

Even Tacitus called the Jesus story a superstition, a superstition is not reality is it? Here it is again from the annals. . , 

"Christus, the founder of the name, had undergone the death penalty in the reign of Tiberius, by sentence of,  Pontius Pilate, and the pernicious [or wicked] superstition [Christianity] was checked for a moment, only to break out once more, not merely in Judea, the home of the disease, but in the capital [Rome] itself, where all things horrible or shameful in the world collect and find a vogue."

Now pls read the portion i quoted again because it seems you're reaching your own forced conclusions from it. Tacitus was no friend of christianity and clearly considered it (as did everyone else in those days - ephesians, pharisees, saducees and co) a blasphemous gathering of man worshippers. Though Tacitus called "christianity" a superstition . . . he NEVER calls the birth, existence and death of Christ a myth. He clearly indicates that Christ existed . . . he was under no obligation however to accept the doctrines of Christ and he expressed his disdain of it. period.

nothing remotely close to your own false conclusion.

mazaje:

My arguments is NOT if Jesus existed or not, that is not my argument, as I said there is more evidence to show that prophet Mohammed existed than that of Jesus, his grave is still there in Saudi Arabia, what I am more interested in is the reality of the story, its very possible that there was a man behind the Jesus myth. just like the Mohammed myth and other mythical stories like that of Buddah etc

Stup[i]i[/i]d. Its like saying there is more proof that pope John paul II existed than pope bartholomew . . . of course one existed at least 500 - 700 yrs after the other had died.

If there was a man behind the Jesus "myth" . . . tacitus clearly refers to him as the CHRIST.

Again we are back to the same issue - arguing from a position of blind dogma. As far as you are concerned, Christ didnt exist so you are trying to twist everything to fit that conclusion even when they dont.

mazaje:

Some one talking about Obama in 100 or 200 years time after his death without ever seeing Obama is only relying on hear say assuming there are no videos and other electronic recordings of Obama. . . . . . .Tacitus and all were writing over 100 years after the death of Jesus, how is their written account of Jesus not hear say?

Would that then mean that Obama didnt exist?

See this argument really doesnt make sense to the rational mind . . . one example - we talk about the hanging gardens of babylon . . . and we regard it RIGHTLY as being historically true even though evidence comes from writers who lived centuries AFTER the wall existed! Seriously? Hearsay is only a problem when it comes to that of Jesus?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Is Actually God? / Don't Ever Dare God, Read What Happened To People Who Mocked God! / Notable American Business Men Who Are Tithers.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.