Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,840 members, 7,872,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:48 PM

Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again (14906 Views)

Anambra Scores Highest In NECO Exams. Records Almost 80% In 2015 Exams. / Lack Of Textbooks Causes Mass Failure In Neco Exams -ubeb Official / Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

So it goes International. . .The key to development/change would be to have the world speak a common language (Anyways topic for another day)

For now,

Mass Failure Continua!

No, the problem in this man failed to learn the common language as it applies in the USA. Each country/region has it's own and the idea is that when you go out to these different regions, it behooves you to learn the common language there. So if you Pidgin English speaking friends want to go beyond pidgin borders, be it to University or working/doing business with firms that require candidates/investors at least have a good grasp of Queen English, it is to the benefit of your friend, that he/she complies or accept rejection.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2010
Quote from Sagamite
Honestly, it would have not been a waste of your time to, at least, take only the NECO English exams to practice the use of your punctuations, sentence spacing  and use of capitals.

Thank God it is Turkey you are going for uni. Maybe such would not be noticeable as I wonder how you will use such in unis in an English speaking, developed country.

Furthermore, you did NOT write WAEC, you sat for WAEC exams or you can also say you undertook WAEC exams. [I really can't stop shaking my head]

People, please vote for me as President of Nigeria, the country needs aggressive help.

Okay you were complaining about my english earlier on, hmmnn
Re-visit it and see some of the bolded parts they are correct
No gbagaun

And
You first line
[b]Honestly, it would have not been a waste of your time to, at least, take only the NECO [/b]English exams to practice the use of your punctuations, sentence spacing  and use of capitals.

Correct but that is nonsense,writ it like this next time:
Honestly,it wouldn't have been a waste of time if you took the english exam to practice the use of bla bla bla

For your information in SAT ,the essay i got 6

If you understood what i wrote then fine and STFU

And oh, keep shaking your head till you catch Headache  grin

And no we wont vote for you as president ,we dont want you just stay put wherever you are

I type fast and dont bother to check what i wrote am using a WI-FI

[quote][/quote]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 8:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
xterra2:

Quote from Sagamite
Okay you were complaining about my english (proficiency/grammar/writing?) earlier on, hmmnn
Re-visit it and see some of the bolded parts they are correct
No gbagaun

And
You first line
Honestly, it would have not been a waste of your time to, at least, take only the NECO [/b]English exams to practice the use of your punctuations, sentence spacing  and use of capitals.

Correct but that is nonsense,writ it like this next time:
Honestly,it wouldn't have been a waste of time if you took the english exam to practice the use of bla bla bla

For your information in S[b]AT ,t[/b]he essay[b] i [/b]got 6

If you understood what [b]i
wrote then fine and STFU

And oh, keep shaking your head till you catch H[/b]eadache  grin

And no we wo[b]nt
vote for you as p[/b]resident[b] ,w[/b]e do[b]nt want you just stay put wherever you are

I type fast and do[b]nt[/b] bother to check what [b]i [/b]wrote am using a WI-FI

Emi lo n try lati ma correct ni Ede Esin? Abi aiye e! (It is me you are trying to correct in English Grammar? How dare you!)

Mugu, your write-up is full of errors again!

Lazy and half-baked bugger!
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by texazzpete(m): 8:11pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

Seen.

The system you talk about, is what is wrong (along with all the so-called benchmarks) If things have only gotten worse on the back of these, I don't know why it's so difficult to see that there should be something different in place.
I honestly can't say it was schooling in this system that taught me English.

There have to be benchmarks in everything in life. And as long as there are Universities, there MUST be a lowest common denominator in terms of communication. Bending over backwards to take care of the ones that have fallen by the wayside is wrong.

Recall your days in Uni, and try to imagine how awkward it'd have been if half of your class only spoke Hausa language.
Apart from exams like this, what other ways would YOU have Universities test prospective admission candidates for English language communication skills?

Gamine:

I honestly can't say it was schooling in this system that taught me English.

Of course not! You had a fall back option. You picked up a big chunk of your English skills from your parents and your siblings at an early age and then refined that by reading books and watching movies when you grew older In between that, you also had the benefit of formal education to bolster those learning opportunities. And that's how it often is for people who grow up in urban environments.

However, even for those who didn't have that opportunity to learn much outside the classroom, the curriculum is designed to still teach them English. Right from the Queen Primer and 'Peter and Jane' days to 'Ali and Simbi'. If this isn't happening now, then we need to find out why.
Don't blame it on the curriculum. It's the same one people like you and me used way back. it should be adequate if delivered properly. but it isn't.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bidemi12(m): 10:27pm On Sep 22, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So you expect every nigerians to speak correct english even when the language is a ''FOREIGN'' one ? You should know that cannot be 100% possible and if i may ask do all chinese or French speak good English ?

I swear sometimes you scare me.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by ada24: 10:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
English is not a foreign language in Nigeria it is the lingua franca. the official language of Nigeria is English - God help us that people don't know this.

why do people always argue this - french people don't speak good English cos surprise surprise their official language is french - if u want to do business in France u have to know how to speak both English and french. likewise the Chinese, the German and Spanish etc.

what scares me is how are these failures of today going to cope with the world of tomorrow.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 11:17pm On Sep 22, 2010
ada24:

English is not a foreign language in Nigeria it is the lingua franca. the official language of Nigeria is English - God help us that people don't know this.

why do people always argue this - french people don't speak good English cos surprise surprise their official language is french - if u want to do business in France u have to know how to speak both English and french. likewise the Chinese, the German and Spanish etc.

what scares me is how are these failures of today going to cope with the world of tomorrow.

Hey stop!!!

Don't respond to such. That is why we just called it "watery argument" and left it at that. grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by chika98: 11:48pm On Sep 22, 2010
As much as I dislike Sagamite. . I must say you do speak/write eloquently which is a great thing.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 22, 2010
chika98:

As much as I dislike Sagamite. . I must say you do speak/write eloquently which is a great thing.

Oh no! Oh dear. If he sees this, his ego will blow up to another 50L tongue
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 11:54pm On Sep 22, 2010
chika98:

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y0hMNAAlAs[/flash]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 11:56pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3bZjJeWV4[/flash]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by chika98: 12:01am On Sep 23, 2010
When he isn't bullying folks on the net. He sounds very intelligent if only he will stop announcing it every chance he gets.
Dude we don hear sey you and Queen Elizabeth wine and dine together. Just softly softly and be nice to the unintelligent ones.
Maybe start an English Language class to teach the youngins

Ileke-IdI:

Na the truth I yarn be dat so.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 12:05am On Sep 23, 2010
chika98:

When he isn't bullying folks on the net. He sounds very intelligent if only he will stop announcing it every chance he gets.
Dude we don hear sey you and Queen Elizabeth wine and dine together. Just softly softly and be nice to the unintelligent ones.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s53fZdlXw38[/flash]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 12:12am On Sep 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No, the problem in this man failed to learn the common language as it applies in the USA.  Each country/region has it's own and the idea is that when you go out to these different regions, it behooves you to learn the common language there. So if you Pidgin English speaking friends want to go beyond pidgin borders, be it to University or working/doing business with firms that require candidates/investors at least have a good grasp of Queen English, it is to the benefit of your friend, that he/she complies or accept rejection.  

But did you assess him as less 'educated' or less able to actually be of value to his community?

I totally understand your points though, but it doesn't hurt considering other options.

texazzpete:

There have to be benchmarks in everything in life. And as long as there are Universities, there MUST be a lowest common denominator in terms of communication. Bending over backwards to take care of the ones that have fallen by the wayside is wrong.

Recall your days in Uni, and try to imagine how awkward it'd have been if half of your class only spoke Hausa language.
Apart from exams like this, what other ways would YOU have Universities test prospective admission candidates for English language communication skills?

However, even for those who didn't have that opportunity to learn much outside the classroom, the curriculum is designed to still teach them English. Right from the Queen Primer and 'Peter and Jane' days to 'Ali and Simbi'. If this isn't happening now, then we need to find out why.
Don't blame it on the curriculum. It's the same one people like you and me used way back. it should be adequate if delivered properly. but it isn't.

Please don't imply there was an argument on 'Benchmarks'. Many people (Like some NLdrs) can write English and get an A. When they speak, a different story and vice-versa, what does that mean?

If everything is changing and evolving including English language why should the curriculum be stagnant? why should we be stagnant?
Definitely (Definately!  angry) We need to find out why people are failing and this leads back to my first post,
Maybe they are tired of cramming stuff and actually want an education that is relevant to them in this present/future world
Maybe the curriculum is no longer adequate. Besides I never apportioned blame anywhere I only stood on the need for CHANGE.

‎"You never change anything by fighting existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
R. Buckminster Fuller
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bidemi12(m): 12:14am On Sep 23, 2010
sagamite you too funny i swear; no worry i don respect your gangstar
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by chika98: 12:20am On Sep 23, 2010
LOL@ the last vid. Funny shet! Well some of em do deserve the bashing sha.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Sep 23, 2010
Gamine:

But did you assess him as less 'educated' or less able to actually be of value to his community?

I totally understand your points though, but it doesn't hurt considering other options.

Well, considering the standard in the community I live in, he is undereducated as to be considered educated, one has to be able to read, right and communicate effectively.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 12:41am On Sep 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, considering the standard in the community I live in, he is undereducated as to be considered educated, one has to be able to read, right and communicate effectively.

Is it?

-------
How did all those Asians graduate?! oh my days! ~.~
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 12:45am On Sep 23, 2010
chika98:

LOL@ the last vid. Funny shet! Well some of em do deserve the bashing sha.

I hate morons with a religious passion as, in my view, they are the cause/instigators of majority of all the misunderstandings and troubles in the world between people. Through their generalisation, Us vs Them mentality, subjectivity, poor thinking, lack of understanding wider perspectives.

So for morons, I religiously say . . . .

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnXKRfdb8&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On Sep 23, 2010
Gamine:

Is it?

-------
How did all those Asians graduate?! oh my days! ~.~

Yes it is . . the asians are mostly hired based on the grade in their own country but I bet you that no one wants to hire an american based asian who cannot speak English.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 12:50am On Sep 23, 2010
bidemi12:

sagamite you too funny i swear; no worry i don respect your gangstar

Sagamite got soul grin

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIMUXxp166A[/flash]
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by chika98: 12:51am On Sep 23, 2010
Sagamite:

I hate morons with a religious passion as, in my view, they are the cause/instigators of majority of all the misunderstandings and troubles in the world between people. Through their generalisation, Us vs Them mentality, subjectivity, poor thinking, lack of understanding wider perspectives.

So for morons, I religiously say . . . .

The fanaticism in Africa doesn't help either. People fear their pastors more than God himself. Pathetic
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 12:55am On Sep 23, 2010
chika98:

The fanaticism in Africa doesn't help either. People fear their pastors more than God himself. Pathetic

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504283.64.html#msg6659581
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by chika98: 12:59am On Sep 23, 2010
Sagamite:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504283.64.html#msg6659581

I read it and I couldn't help but shake my head. Out right radical views.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by occam(m): 3:17am On Sep 23, 2010
If everything is changing and evolving including English language why should the curriculum be stagnant? why should we be stagnant?
Definitely (Definately!  angry) We need to find out why people are failing and this leads back to my first post,
Maybe they are tired of cramming stuff and actually want an education that is relevant to them in this present/future world
Maybe the curriculum is no longer adequate. Besides I never apportioned blame anywhere I only stood on the need for CHANGE.

‎"You never change anything by fighting existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
R. Buckminster Fuller

[quote][/quote]

Yes The english language may be changing, but the use of tenses, nouns, etc remain the same. Some student still don't grasp this basic concept. English is the international language of business & it's to our advantage that students understand it well. shold they be taught in pidgin instead? like patua, spoken by west indians and cockney (spoken in london's east end) pidgin will only be used within a specifc region.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by gillsway: 9:42am On Sep 23, 2010
Why won't they fail when all they do these days is 'yoriyori' and 'mtv wannabe'
Just look at the discussions here especially in the romance sections, some of these people are teenagers.
We can keep on blaming the system, but must one chose to be komkom head because the system is bad?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by martinosi: 10:20am On Sep 23, 2010
All theory no practical,  and how relevant is the
school system exams to real life,

Having said that, i rather have my son/daughter get 8 C'Grades
in Nigeria, than get 8 C's in a USA/Europe school!!!

8 C'Grades in a North American/European school means u suck Big-Time as a Nigerian Student!!!

8 C'Grades from in Nigeria means you are really o.k due to all the marking whahala and other externalities on your exam paper and it also means you are good enuff to go abroad and score Straight A's in an American/European School.

8 A'Grades in Nigeria means you are good enuff to go to America/Europe
and read for Two degress at the same time in Four Year and also make money
on the side working part-time or run your own legit business on the side too lol!!!
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by ada24: 10:38am On Sep 23, 2010
martinosi:

8 C'Grades in a North American/European school means u suck Big-Time as a Nigerian Student!!!

8 C'Grades from in Nigeria means you are really o.k due to all the marking whahala and other externalities on your exam paper and it also means you are good enuff to go abroad and score Straight A's in an American/European School.

on the side working part-time or run your own legit business on the side too lol!!!

this is not always the case - u are forgetting that how the young view education in America/Europe is not the same way it is viewed in a developing country. abeg leave that one I was one of those lazy students that passed my GCSE's with 10 A-C grades but could have done better as I was capable - i just did the minimum to pass and I did (thank God cos my parents would have killed me if i got anything below a C). Anyway when I went to Nigeria to write my JAMB I made the merit list for my uni (high Jamb score) and passed my SSCE (had to take some subjects not included in my GCSE for the course I wanted to study) and got A1-A3 grades so I think for me it was like seeing that education was not free and that REAL POVERTY was out there without a good education.

but with saying that I would rather get a 2.2 from a good university abroad than a 2.1 from a good university in Nigeria - cos i know which one will take me further in life.

please don't be fooled by thinking all nigerians students do well when they come to the west to study their degree - i met many (majority young men) of our naija students here in the uk who did not take their studies seriously and either ended up with a 3rd class or just did not graduate. I believe that we as a people are naturally intelligent but it has to be nurtured and educated properly so that its full potential can be tapped.

just my 2 cents (again)
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by HamidO1(m): 10:46am On Sep 23, 2010
martinosi:

[size=15pt]All theory no practical[/size],  and how relevant is the

dats exactly d problem, wen it comes to subjects like physics n xmistry. things dat can easily be shown 2 d students practically in 5mins, u see d teacher taking d whole day trying 2 explain theoretically n d students still won't understand. Some subjects can't just be based on theory alone. d whole system in NAIJA is bad n really needs overhaulling
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by texazzpete(m): 10:55am On Sep 23, 2010
Gamine:

We're talking about English here. Evolution builds on the old, it does not discard the old. Even if the curriculum remained the same, it should still be adequate.

Gamine:

And we're talking about O'levels here. The need for change from a 'cramming' based system will add more value in the tertiary institutions. And as English is a language that really should be used everyday, as part of our daily lives, it suffers a lot less from the 'cramming' syndrome than any other subject.

If you're taught about punctuations, a good student is supposed to write and use punctuations every day.
Taught about Oral English? Good students are expected to make the effort to pronounce words the way they should be.
Comprehension passages? Deducing answers from our daily conversations should be enough real world practice.

In fact, apart from a few exotic lessons in English, the subject should not suffer from this 'cramming' syndrome at all.

Even Mathematics. It's a subject where practice makes perfect. If the curriculum is properly delivered by good teachers, there is little need to cram at the WAEC level.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 11:22am On Sep 23, 2010
occam:

Yes The english language may be changing, but the use of tenses, nouns, etc remain the same. Some student still don't grasp this basic concept. English is the international language of business & it's to our advantage that students understand it well.  shold they be taught in pidgin instead? like patua, spoken by west indians and cockney (spoken in london's east end) pidgin will only be used within a specifc region.

I said the curriculum, The way it is taught e.t.c. These kids need to see the actual value in it, if any. Many are more comfortable using pidgin (which is fast becoming a 'distinct' language) but they could learn 'international' English just for that sole purpose of 'international' communication.
There are lots we need to consider, if there's going to be any change. I just don't see how writing or speaking English on Queen Victoria levels has anything to do with whats important for our country, Why should the emphasis be on that.

martinosi:

Exactly. Many of these students may have become impatient and they can't just be bothered, maybe a reason for this mass failure.

texazzpete:

We're talking about English here. Evolution builds on the old, it does not discard the old. Even if the curriculum remained the same, it should still be adequate.

And we're talking about O'levels here. The need for change from a 'cramming' based system will add more value in the tertiary institutions. And as English is a language that really should be used everyday, as part of our daily lives, it suffers a lot less from the 'cramming' syndrome than any other subject.

If you're taught about punctuations, a good student is supposed to write and use punctuations every day.
Taught about Oral English? Good students are expected to make the effort to pronounce words the way they should be.
Comprehension passages? Deducing answers from our daily conversations should be enough real world practice.

In fact, apart from a few exotic lessons in English, the subject should not suffer from this 'cramming' syndrome at all.

Even Mathematics. It's a subject where practice makes perfect. If the curriculum is properly delivered by good teachers, there is little need to cram at the WAEC level.

Maybe the curriculum is no longer adequate. You are now trying to say the same thing I've been hammering on since forever.
But I can't really get my head over the pedestal you are putting English on though.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 23, 2010
martinosi:

That is a generalisation. But by English standards  8 C's at GSCE level is a pretty mediocre result particularly as the grades the student attains at that level does determine the kind of college he would be admitted to. In other words your grade at this level would determine whether you are eligible for[i] gold standard [/i] Advanced Level studies or for more practical job training schemes.
In fact by the average European student enters university he would have taken and passed a lot of highly competitive examinations and tests and would be totally at home in these.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Is Orji Uzor Kalu's Wife? / Boko Haram Recruiting Youths With Loans – Nigerian Army / Chidi Lloyd Appears In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.