Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,696 members, 7,908,805 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 12:20 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (1002315 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (549) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
joemenz:
thank you Sir.....au.hanson, sorry to ask again, pls if am for the 2003 c230 naturally aspirated engine IS IT the i4 or v6,
And if am going for the 2003 c230 Kompressor IS IT i4 or v6....pls clear my doubts (novice trying to learn grin).
cos i want to ship one by Dec
also America and Germany which country will be better

just like eyop rightly said, the c230 Kompressor can never be a 6 cylinder engine but rather a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine that houses a 16 inline valves, I4 that is capable of producing 189 horsepower at 5800 RPM that could achieve 23mpg in city driving and 31 mpg on the highway(very good economy and performance for a 4 cylinder engine,whereas 1995 c280 naturally aspirated 6 cylinder 2.8litre engine,I6 produces 195 horsepower at 195 rpm with economy of 20/26 city and h/w driving respectively)

Benz is Benz whether America or US, they dont mix standard but just some varied specifications as in features by Americans or anywhere else
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:27pm On Aug 25, 2013
au.hanson:

just like eyop rightly said, the c230 Kompressor can never be a 6 cylinder engine but rather a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine that houses a 16 inline valves, I4 that is capable of producing 189 horsepower at 5800 RPM that could achieve 23mpg in city driving and 31 mpg on the highway(very good economy and performance for a 4 cylinder engine,whereas 1995 c280 naturally aspirated 6 cylinder 2.8litre engine,I6 produces 195 horsepower at 195 rpm with economy of 20/26 city and h/w driving respectively)

Benz is Benz whether America or US, they dont mix standard but just some varied specifications as in features by Americans or anywhere else
nice clerification there. I took ur advice abt that rdiator coolant and since then I have notice a great differnce with the fuel consumption.due to the rain down here most times it takes quit a while for the temp guage to get to 80-90, but as the drive goes on it eventually does. But the biggest plus is I filled up the tank at 64litrs a week ago and now at 1/2 way I have done abt 204miles which I consider fair since its mostly city driving. Its a rly serious improvement compare to what I get b4.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
Gee2728: nice clerification there. I took ur advice abt that rdiator coolant and since then I have notice a great differnce with the fuel consumption.due to the rain down here most times it takes quit a while for the temp guage to get to 80-90, but as the drive goes on it eventually does. But the biggest plus is I filled up the tank at 64litrs a week ago and now at 1/2 way I have done abt 204miles which I consider fair since its mostly city driving. Its a rly serious improvement compare to what I get b4.

Uncle Gee what radiator coollant are you refering to? And house how does the collant affect the fuel consumption? I really wanna know.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 2:14pm On Aug 26, 2013
jahjehova: Pls house, other than Mobil 1, is there any other engine oil that will not be sending me to nechanic for servicing every 2-3 months?

My temp guage reads above 80°c in the city and drops to 80° when travelling. Is that safe? If no, whats your diagnosis

I use Mobil XHP on my 96 C200 V4 natuarally aspirated girlfriend... grin , she drives well and doesn't cough or belch... Pls choose wisely so as not to use an incompatible oil in ur engine cool . Cheeeers!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
smartchoice: Where do you stay? If Lagos go to Apapa Trinity

Uncle Smartchoice,
I stay in Abuja... I want to ask if you stay in lagos? If so can we have an arrangement that you help me buy the harnesss and send it too me? I will really appreciate this As I really want to get a fresh harness under my hood. I will call you if I get your number... Mine is 08037301075. Anticipating your response soon.
Kaa!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 4:50pm On Aug 26, 2013
The coollant I used is total coolant which I bought from their filing station.my point abt the fuel economy is that the coolant is the only recent change I have done to the car lately. So I was jst wondring if it has anything to do with it.because for models of my car(W202 C230K) engine tempt has effect on performance and also fuel comsumption. For example early morning when the temp is low the engine rev longer before the gear change so as to get the engine to normal operating temp. And longer rev could burn up more gas.about the coollant its specicied on it that its hotter regions.
aikerism:

Uncle Gee what radiator coollant are you refering to? And house how does the collant affect the fuel consumption? I really wanna know.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
You got text
aikerism:

Uncle Smartchoice,
I stay in Abuja... I want to ask if you stay in lagos? If so can we have an arrangement that you help me buy the harnesss and send it too me? I will really appreciate this As I really want to get a fresh harness under my hood. I will call you if I get your number... Mine is 08037301075. Anticipating your response soon.
Kaa!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:12am On Aug 27, 2013
Gee2728: nice clerification there. I took ur advice abt that rdiator coolant and since then I have notice a great differnce with the fuel consumption.due to the rain down here most times it takes quit a while for the temp guage to get to 80-90, but as the drive goes on it eventually does. But the biggest plus is I filled up the tank at 64litrs a week ago and now at 1/2 way I have done abt 204miles which I consider fair since its mostly city driving. Its a rly serious improvement compare to what I get b4.

You are welcome my dear; thats exciting news, infact you've spore me to share my own testimony with you too though i was waiting to have 3 successive readings before i could come up with these, probably opening another thread for it-but let me let the cat out. However,If you remember my mpg posting and observations overtime now at one of the threads by Sienna, you would notice that i have not been so much impress by my mpg in Port Harcourt city, but that has changed stupendously now for the better.

I now achieve 20mpg in that city, its something you can hardly do with a 4 cylinder overhere (remember i use to do 13mpg, then 14mpg then 16mpg) though i could achieve 23 mpg in Calabar City. I did a some work in the performance of this old lady(w202 Benz c180) and have return it back to factory new performance/mpg; and now i can hardly stay at home at weekends and free hrs because it now drives like a good 6 cylinder machine.It's fun to always drive this ride; the lethargy underperformance of a BenzC180/BMW318 gone; even with an ac loaded over 99 percent of the time, i could almost stop and continue swiftly with gear 3 without having to downshift to gear 1 unlike before; no more strand of hesitation and underpowerlessness at hold ups etc

Boy! i've got to give this a new thread for my brothers out there to help turnout their old cars(especially Benzc180/beemer318 to new at performance/mpg wise..you dont need a new ride because of these factors, because your old car can still perform like new if not better than. See you in my new thread coming soon, let me just tidy up up some very busy schedule over here. Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 1:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
au.hanson:

You are welcome my dear; thats exciting news, infact you've spore me to share my own testimony with you too though i was waiting to have 3 successive readings before i could come up with these, probably opening another thread for it-but let me let the cat out. However,If you remember my mpg posting and observations overtime now at one of the threads by Sienna, you would notice that i have not been so much impress by my mpg in Port Harcourt city, but that has changed stupendously now for the better.

I now achieve 20mpg in that city, its something you can hardly do with a 4 cylinder overhere (remember i use to do 13mpg, then 14mpg then 16mpg) though i could achieve 23 mpg in Calabar City. I did a some work in the performance of this old lady(w202 Benz c180) and have return it back to factory new performance/mpg; and now i can hardly stay at home at weekends and free hrs because it now drives like a good 6 cylinder machine.It's fun to always drive this ride; the lethargy underperformance of a BenzC180/BMW318 gone; even with an ac loaded over 99 percent of the time, i could almost stop and continue swiftly with gear 3 without having to downshift to gear 1 unlike before; no more strand of hesitation and underpowerlessness at hold ups etc

Boy! i've got to give this a new thread for my brothers out there to help turnout their old cars(especially Benzc180/beemer318 to new at performance/mpg wise..you dont need a new ride because of these factors, because your old car can still perform like new if not better than. See you in my new thread coming soon, let me just tidy up up some very busy schedule over here. Cheers!!

I can't wait to read up the proposed thread.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 27, 2013
cant wait!

au.hanson:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by OdofinLadi(m): 4:42am On Aug 29, 2013
Hi guys, plz I need to be furnished
with pricing details of 1998/1999
models of C230 in Lagos & frm
Cotonou (duty inclusive). This is
urgent plz. Thanks & God bless.
U can reach me on pin:27704EAB
for private discussions on this if you
ve got a genuine link.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 11:52am On Aug 29, 2013
@siena, hanson and all.

Would you be kind enough to help me figure out what this is and whats its function? Just found it laying out of place this morning on a 1995 Mercedes Benz c180. Though it seems to have been "out of place" for while, It looked broken and couldn't fit back as shown below. Car drives alright though.

It'll be great to receive swift response from this honorable house.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2013
inze: @siena, hanson and all.

Would you be kind enough to help me figure out what this is and whats its function? Just found it laying out of place this morning on a 1995 Mercedes Benz c180. Though it seems to have been "out of place" for while, It looked broken and couldn't fit back as shown below. Car drives alright though.

It'll be great to receive swift response from this honorable house.

it goes into hole you are pointing in one of the photos

thats should be an air intake sensor
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 3:23pm On Aug 29, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

it goes into hole you are pointing in one of the photos

thats should be an air intake sensor

Would you mind expatiate further its functions while i use google grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2013
inze:

Would you mind expatiate further its functions while i use google grin

nothing further to explain it sensors the temperature of the air being feed to the engine for that the ECU will adjust the mixture ratio according to air temperature
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

nothing further to explain it sensors the temperature of the air being feed to the engine for that the ECU will adjust the mixture ratio according to air temperature

Any effect on the engine? because it seems to have been lying there for a long time. just found out.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by OdofinLadi(m): 4:28am On Aug 30, 2013
Odofin Ladi: Hi guys, plz I need to be furnished
ve got a genuine link.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:44am On Aug 30, 2013
ziccoit: How much is 19998/99 mercedes benz W202 C200 5SP automatic gearbox sold in the market and what is going to be the total cost of gear replacement? Is the gear freely available in the market?

Kindly respond to this query. Thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:34am On Aug 30, 2013
inze:

Any effect on the engine? because it seems to have been lying there for a long time. just found out.

yes im terms of fuel consumption
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 1:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

yes im terms of fuel consumption

Already had it replaced this morning. Thanks anyway.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 6:31am On Sep 01, 2013
Yes I got text and am grateful Sir... I will give him a call andd see what he can do for me.
Kaa!

smartchoice:
You got text
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by OdofinLadi(m): 3:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Hi guys, plz I need to be furnished
ve got a genuine link.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
PRICE VARIES BETWEEN 750K - 1.2MILLION NAIRA DEPENDING ON THE CONDITION!

Odofin Ladi: Hi guys, plz I need to be furnished
ve got a genuine link.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2013
Visited a friend at home and when I got in my C230k to go I noticed the check light came on so I pack and pop the hood. I fired the trotle using the cable then I noticed the S/C clutch was reluctant to spin, infact it got to abt 4K rpm b4 it started spinning so I drove home cos I dnt have any money for such an unplanned repair. A day latter at my free time at home I pop the hood disconnected the S/C power switch and then connected it back. Started the car and rev it up and the clutch started to spin with little effort and to crown my finger tricks the check engine light went OFF.

My point is let's take time to get to know our cars it will save us some cool cash only God knows what the tech guys wld have said was wrong. Its been about a week now and its still runs smooth.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Olisa4all: 1:47pm On Sep 05, 2013
Gee2728: Visited a friend at home and when I got in my C230k to go I noticed the check light came on so I pack and pop the hood. I fired the trotle using the cable then I noticed the S/C clutch was reluctant to spin, infact it got to abt 4K rpm b4 it started spinning so I drove home cos I dnt have any money for such an unplanned repair. A day latter at my free time at home I pop the hood disconnected the S/C power switch and then connected it back. Started the car and rev it up and the clutch started to spin with little effort and to crown my finger tricks the check engine light went OFF.

My point is let's take time to get to know our cars it will save us some cool cash only God knows what the tech guys wld have said was wrong. Its been about a week now and its still runs smooth.
pardon my ignorance bro but whats an S/C clutch
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
Olisa4all:
pardon my ignorance bro but whats an S/C clutch
its that part ot the supercharger that rotate. Wld post the pics if I can. Its the black part.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 2:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
My bros you are really enjoying this your ride oh. I can't just wait for my own to arrive so that i can enjoy what you guys are enjoying.
Gee2728: its that part ot the supercharger that rotate. Wld post the pics if I can.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by LeylowDee: 2:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
my mercedez benz E-class 2002 showing ETS and ABS light ON, also, the engine goes OFF whenever i apply brake while moving. have tried all i could: serviced d car with synthetic oil , do full steam wash of the engine. still, the issue still there. PLS HELP!!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
Eyop: My bros you are really enjoying this your ride oh. I can't just wait for my own to arrive so that i can enjoy what you guys are enjoying.
am rly enjoying the car ooh my bro. Days that am work free at home I open her up and explore new things about her. I noticed that som1(maybe the A/C tech) had block two pipes that had to do with the heating/cooling system with pure water wrapper, so I removed it. But so far so good I have not notice any difference yet.

Those are som of the reasons y I try stuffs myself most times. I learn a lot from NL, CLUB202 and google. There's no harm trying. Imagine I once paid 1K to reset my service mileage what a waste cos now I can do it my self. There's so much abt our cars we cld do ourself. Wish u all the best when urs get to town.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 6:36am On Sep 06, 2013
aikerism:

I use Mobil XHP on my 96 C200 V4 natuarally aspirated girlfriend... grin , she drives well and doesn't cough or belch... Pls choose wisely so as not to use an incompatible oil in ur engine cool . Cheeeers!

Your's is worse than the fellow inquiring. He is correct but mixed up in reinstall intervals. The motor was built around the 229.x standard. What you have will not measure-up to "geometry-surface" demands of contact and sliding mated surfaces, as opposed to what the manufacturer stated as engineered around. For areas where Mobil 1 fluids are not readily available, certain alternatives were officially stated by Mercedes. What's puzzling is how you ended with XF (of every brand sold in the stores). That is the wrong application for any European car. Go over the sheet of the XF formulation and interpret the numbers. Afterwards compare to what is expected.

By the way, with the engine stated and the formulation you disclosed, there is almost no point using an oil filter. It is useless. Also, wear at the dead centre will be exceedingly prominent because velocity, pressure and temperature are least favourable during hydrodynamic operations at that region. That should be the least of your fears. The bearings would be what I would be concerned about. Then, -- corrosion! Alkalinity!

If you are in doubt, get professional advice. Oil documentation is there for a purpose. Stick to manufacturer's specifications.

P.S. The oil you recommended is inferior to Mobil 1 Euro Formulation and the rest (from one end of the spectrum to the other). They are not of the same tier.

Gee2728: The coollant I used is total coolant which I bought from their filing station.my point abt the fuel economy is that the coolant is the only recent change I have done to the car lately. So I was jst wondring if it has anything to do with it.because for models of my car(W202 C230K) engine tempt has effect on performance and also fuel comsumption. For example early morning when the temp is low the engine rev longer before the gear change so as to get the engine to normal operating temp. And longer rev could burn up more gas.about the coollant its specicied on it that its hotter regions.

Such antifreeze should be nowhere near an MB.

All MB's (at least my generation and a few others before it) use hybrid based antifreeze. Total Coolant is useless and WILL damage the water pump bearings. I addition to that, it doesn't do the job well under extreme conditions. Mercedes Benz's coolant packs a lot of "punches." Expensive though! There is an alternative and approved also by Mercedes. Valvoline Zerex G05! Apparently, it is the same as the formulation for MB's cooling fluid. This is because Valvoline formulated the MB fluid. MB fitted water pumps should go-near two decades of use. This will only be achieved using the correct fluid specification. The bearings will get overstressed with the conventional antifreeze installation. Water-pump "job" is expensive and can only be done one way; the right way. Omitted precautions and cut-corners will require repeat-service(s) till it's done right.

LeylowDee: my mercedez benz E-class 2002 showing ETS and ABS light ON, also, the engine goes OFF whenever i apply brake while moving. have tried all i could: serviced d car with synthetic oil , do full steam wash of the engine. still, the issue still there. PLS HELP!!!

What you haven't done is to find a qualified service agent to diagnose your vehicle and carry out repairs. I can guarantee (provided you are willing to spend the money) that the problem will be identified and the appropriate procedures will be carried out. What you don't want is the symptoms taken away. Root-elimination is what you want.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 6:43am On Sep 06, 2013
ziccoit: How much is 19998/99 mercedes benz W202 C200 5SP automatic gearbox sold in the market and what is going to be the total cost of gear replacement? Is the gear freely available in the market?

If you don't mind me asking: why do you want to replace it? Your best choice is overhauling it. The peace of mind is there and you are certain of the intensity of effectiveness.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (549) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.