Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,682 members, 7,926,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 05:23 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (1009989 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (550) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:11am On Oct 25, 2013
ziccoit:

How is your C200 fuel economy?

I fill her up with roughly N6,500. I reset to 000.0 and most times at half tank I half tank I would have two ninety somthing Km and a lil higher if I use cruise control. It generally depends on my driving...
If I fire like mad I will achieve a lower economy... One other factor that affects our fuel consumption here is traffic. We see hell in the mornings trynna go to work and even worse in the evening to get home. Most times your fuel won't last as long as it should.
But for highway I may not be able to calculate all that miles per galon ishh but in August I did Umuahia to Karu in Abuja with 3/4 of my tank (with the AC on all through) I think that is fair enough... Uncle Hannsen, Smartchoice, Gee @ house what do you all think?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
aikerism:

I fill her up with roughly N6,500. I reset to 000.0 and most times at half tank I half tank I would have two ninety somthing Km and a lil higher if I use cruise control. It generally depends on my driving...
If I fire like mad I will achieve a lower economy... One other factor that affects our fuel consumption here is traffic. We see hell in the mornings trynna go to work and even worse in the evening to get home. Most times your fuel won't last as long as it should.
But for highway I may not be able to calculate all that miles per galon ishh but in August I did Umuahia to Karu in Abuja with 3/4 of my tank (with the AC on all through) I think that is fair enough... Uncle Hannsen, Smartchoice, Gee @ house what do you all think?

Your tank should be about 62 litres. If you did half of that (i.e 31 litres) at 290something km then your economy is perfect . Calculate out your mpg lets know after resetting again. Mine now is usually between 18 to 27 mpg in town depending on my driving habit most time i consistently achieve 22mpg like the one i just calculated yesterday after 2 weeks drive, fewer times 27(when i try consciously to consistently remain in a speed around 80 mpg in the city) and also 18 when i care less about mpg thing, but on the highway i use to have between 31 and 39MPG. If i consistently drive between 80 and 110km/h i will definitely have 39 mpg, i have done that twice while travelling ,though its boring. if i overspeed , i had made something above 31mpg but not up to 39 mpg. Before now, i couldn't make even 16 in the city so it concerned me so much then.. infact i use to make 13mpg and above-thats was very worrisome, of course my windows are consistently up as a tradition.

To calculate your mpg, make sure you drive at almost or more than half to 3/4 of your tank( i dnt like keeping fuel any less than half of my tank for obvious reason), go for a refill at a particular filling station, always at a particular pump(cos our pumps are never accurate, they adjust a whole lots of things to cheat),record than the litres taken to fill your car and also record than your odometer reading , for like 3 consecutive readings, subtract your final odometer reading from the previous; also your final refilled litres from the previous as well. Always subtract the last from the previous in this manner then convert your litres to gallon , and if your odometer is in miles divide that reading by the gallons and you will have your mpg. if your odometer is in km convert it to miles too and divide it by your gallons , and obtain your mpg i.e miles covered /gallons consumed. You could be comparing that with your manufacturers acclaimed mpg. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
aikerism:

If ur tank is 62litrs, on the highway u shld be able to do over 400km if ur range is btw 80 to 120km/hr.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 3:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
tommysparks: Kai, ryt now I feel like trading in my w203 c240 for that c350, and I just observed that whenever I read d forum before going to bed na so so diff brands of benz I drive in my sleep. Am afraid now not to start sleep driving just like sleep talking and walking.

OL BOY! NO SCATTER MY RIBS OH FOR LAUGHTER!!!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
Eyop: Thanks for the illustration au.hanson. I love the W202,W203 benz and also the W204 but the W204 is like mercedes benz reduced the materials they used in producing that particular model most but all the same i still love it and if i have the financial means,i will go for it preferably the Sports spec but just that the interior of the elegance seems to be more luxury than the sports with the formaica designs in it.

I will be doing more of travelling with it atleast twice a month from Lagos to Akwa-ibom my home town and also touch Calabar before returning back to Lagos.

You made me laugh when you mentioned that the cost of the W204 is enough to erect a bungalow which i quite agree but the money is as well a small money if you have a booming business or works in a good establishment that you earn much. Those that are driving it don't have 2 heads so we can as well drive it my only concern is about the proposed policy to be implemented by the government in regards to increase in tariff for imported cars making it discouraging to import from the United States.

My brother all cars reduces their materials these days, cos the emphasy is so much on fuel efficient vehicles, but Benz is still a lot better than all others, even the BMWs, one thing i'm happy, the engine still remains standard and strong when well maintained. no be person dey drive kia...

Till 2moro elegance interior would always be elegance as the name implies and sport would always be sturd sport as the name implies . Is either you go for the sturdiness of it or you go for the luxury, both will still give you the performance and luxury.

I love the sport for personal reason; more sturdy and firmer shorter shocks to run round coners like no mans biz, the star at the front grill, and the stiffer steering wheel to make nonesense of senseless people on the road if it comes to drag race or pursuit . Honda are noted for the finest interior, but irrespective of that, many of us wouldn't want to go near it for fear of shaft pulling out at highway speed and our kind of roads ,besides i hate front wheelers like nauseatic drugs.

Man, its hard to doll out that kind of cash for a car yet at this level. that better go for a bung untill we grow up there. We would still drive it later at a reduced price when you guys would have finished driving them, hahaha!!! After all the vboot today when it first came out , was the number one of its kind. now all and sundry can afford it etc...

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
Gee2728: W205 C-class is around the corner... Word on the street is that AIRMATIC will come in as options on some models.

I hope it wouldn't be like the useless balloon technology they introduced that could render people bankrupt when erupted in the E and M class in our useless roads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVT65vyP2s
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by haconni(m): 6:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
[quote author=au.hanson]

Just like i would always tell you that the esprit (Thats what i have in w202) is more sportier and preferable to me than any other spec, because of her shorter stiffler strut and precise steering , the sport in the w204 is more preferably to me as well because of her stiffler stronger suspension and driving dynamics. That star(Mercedez Ben logo) at the front grill is a plus for the sport model. see first diagram above.
The elegance is nice too but i'm not in for it. I always

Does anyone where and how much I can get a very sound (1st grade direct tokunbo) Mercedes flat booth aka old soldier?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
House please how can one measure his 0-60 time of his/her car? Or will just have to rely on manufacturers claim. Tnx.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:38am On Oct 26, 2013
Gee2728: House please how can one measure his 0-60 time of his/her car? Or will just have to rely on manufacturers claim. Tnx.
set a stop watch, the type u had in your elementary physics lab class while you do the best of the pedaling like 3 or 4 consecutive time from startup and pick average of 2 best readings.This is how i did for my 190
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:25am On Oct 26, 2013
au.hanson:

set a stop watch, the type u had in your elementary physics lab class while you do the best of the pedaling like 3 or 4 consecutive time from startup and pick average of 2 best readings.This is how i did for my 190

Was told that is not accurate except with the use of a 'GPS timer'. Only God knows wat that tool is.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 190theclown: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2013
quit talking about me on this thread!! angry angry
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2013
Have spent the last couple of days searching for info on newer model of C-klass kompressor variant but have observed that not much improvement have been made as regards performance. U'll think that since the W202 C230K that almost 15yrs now that we'll have a C-kompressor engine kicking less than 7 second to 60mph. But no, all they do is new interior and looks. Even a 2013 C250 coupe will fall behind a baby beemer 135i.

I guess said to say my W202 will be the last compressor I will spend my money on cos any engine short of 250hp and 250 lb/ft of torque is just not good enough this days.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 26, 2013
Whats the distance like sir?

aikerism:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
am sorry my 10litres goes for @ least a 100km within the city though little or no hold up....Abuja to Ekiti @ 35 litres consistently! A distance of about 380km...

Gee2728:
If ur tank is 62litrs, on the highway u shld be able to do over 400km if ur range is btw 80 to 120km/hr.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
au.hanson:

How i wish u were in PH , would have constested with you in my w201 Benz 190
Bro, am stil waitin to hear u say u want to sel dat ride.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:35pm On Oct 26, 2013
Gee2728:

Was told that is not accurate except with the use of a 'GPS timer'. Only God knows wat that tool is.

I really needed to know my performance rating in my modified baby.I dont have a gps timer didnt even border my head with it, so i did it the local way, glued a stop clock to my dash. On a stretch road, simultaneuosly pressed the pedal and the start botton of the timer clock to begin, and press stop as the speedo just hit the 100km/h(i.e 96.5km/h(60mph)) mark. Now this may be a bit difficult with manual except you have a partner by you to handle that, but definitely gud with auto tranny like mine. I did like 3 times and master the skill , i then did for another 3 times and got 2 similar readings as the car wouldn't have that info on the net.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2013
Gee2728: Have spent the last couple of days searching for info on newer model of C-klass kompressor variant but have observed that not much improvement have been made as regards performance. U'll think that since the W202 C230K that almost 15yrs now that we'll have a C-kompressor engine kicking less than 7 second to 60mph. But no, all they do is new interior and looks. Even a 2013 C250 coupe will fall behind a baby beemer 135i.

I guess said to say my W202 will be the last compressor I will spend my money on cos any engine short of 250hp and 250 lb/ft of torque is just not good enough this days.

Then why not go for the c350 bluefficiency , as no kompressors and turbo chargers are built to cater for this fit, alternatively you can go the 'A' class way as they seems to have a turbo charger that perform wonders there, as tiny as they are
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:48pm On Oct 26, 2013
smartchoice: am sorry my 10litres goes for @ least a 100km within the city though little or no hold up....Abuja to Ekiti @ 35 litres consistently! A distance of about 380km...

you are right bro, there's one trick i use atimes , instead of driving like grand pa i drive like james bomb but in constant velocity as far as i can(i.e amost h/w seed in d cty)when the road is a bit free and would usually achieved like 130km with a 10 litre fuel. Try it and you would never stop doing it for gud efficency
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
ninz: Bro, am stil waitin to hear u say u want to sel dat ride.

Hahaha! since you have indicated interest, i'll make you no one on d list when i shall want to do that , but that would only happen if i shall be able to pick up a c350 machine or a BMW 335i
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:11am On Oct 27, 2013
@Au hanson, how is that ac compressor (sanden) performing in your car?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 8:36am On Oct 27, 2013
au.hanson... You mentioned Blue efficiency here,in which of the models of the C class can one find the blue efficiency and can you briefly explain how economical this can be. And also on the issue of 4matic on these vehicles because i noticed that the W204 series comes more on 4matic and i overheard one benz mechanic saying we should run away from the 4matics on cars.
au.hanson:

Then why not go for the c350 bluefficiency , as no kompressors and turbo chargers are built to cater for this fit, alternatively you can go the 'A' class way as they seems to have a turbo charger that perform wonders there, as tiny as they are
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2013
BlueEfficiency
It is spelt BluEfficiency -- hard to spell correctly -- means better fuel economy. It is a nameplate that the company is using -- to indicate that the engine in this car has been completely re-engineered from the old one with the same capacity to produce better mileage and lower emissions. This is done by techniques such as metered direct injection of fuel (injected in small spurts to get good coverage during detonation), variable valve timing so that maximum power is produced at all engine speeds, and neat tricks like firing the cylinder first that is already at the top of its stroke when starting the engine (older engines always started with cylinder 1, no matter where the pistons were positioned, so fuel was wasted on start-up -- the reason why people told you that starting the engine took more fuel than keeping it running).

Eyop: au.hanson... You mentioned Blue efficiency here,in which of the models of the C class can one find the blue efficiency and can you briefly explain how economical this can be. And also on the issue of 4matic on these vehicles because i noticed that the W204 series comes more on 4matic and i overheard one benz mechanic saying we should run away from the 4matics on cars.

BlueEFFICIENCY models are energy efficient and fully optimised for lowering emissions. Coupled with less rolling resistance and weight saving measures such as reduced windscreen thickness, and lighter alloy wheels – BlueEFFICIENCY technology cuts running costs without compromising on performance.
With some of our most popular models already converted to BlueEFFICIENCY, we’re not only paving the way for cleaner motoring across the entire range, but also taking steps towards our ultimate goal of emission-free driving.
http://news.mercedes-benz.co.uk/innovations/technology-explained-blueefficiency.html
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
4MATIC All-wheel Drive
All-season competence. All-road confidence.
From a menacing winter storm to a challenging corner, 4MATIC all-wheel drive makes the most of available traction by precisely engaging all four wheels. More than letting all four tires do the work equally, 4MATIC features a number of advanced, and quick-thinking innovations to empower each wheel individually as conditions change. So whether you're starting out on a slippery patch, encountering a sudden change in the weather, or even rounding a dry curve, 4MATIC helps you put your best foot forward.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/performance/4matic

In the older 4Matic systems the transfer case viscous coupling is the weak point. When it fails (typically at about 80k miles) you need a new one and the only place that you can get one is from MBZ.

The new 4-Matic is a complete redesign and is much simpler and reliable than the previous 1st generation. The new 4-Matic should be about as reliable as a rwd W210.

You will lose some fuel economy and the car doesn't seem quite as nimble as a rwd though. More front end weight and friction I imagine.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1453128-4-matic-problems.html

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
Smartchoice, you for kuku work 4 MB na cheesy by the way, very nice reviews you made. Thumbs up!

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 6:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
smartchoice: 4MATIC All-wheel Drive
All-season competence. All-road confidence.
From a menacing winter storm to a challenging corner, 4MATIC all-wheel drive makes the most of available traction by precisely engaging all four wheels. More than letting all four tires do the work equally, 4MATIC features a number of advanced, and quick-thinking innovations to empower each wheel individually as conditions change. So whether you're starting out on a slippery patch, encountering a sudden change in the weather, or even rounding a dry curve, 4MATIC helps you put your best foot forward.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/performance/4matic

In the older 4Matic systems the transfer case viscous coupling is the weak point. When it fails (typically at about 80k miles) you need a new one and the only place that you can get one is from MBZ.

The new 4-Matic is a complete redesign and is much simpler and reliable than the previous 1st generation. The new 4-Matic should be about as reliable as a rwd W210.

You will lose some fuel economy and the car doesn't seem quite as nimble as a rwd though. More front end weight and friction I imagine.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1453128-4-matic-problems.html

Nice piece!! thats why i always prefer the late models and the bluefficiency stuff cos the errors are always reviewed here, possibly corrected in most cases

eyop: au.hanson... You mentioned Blue efficiency here,in which of the models of the C class can one find the blue efficiency and can you briefly explain how economical this can be. And also on the issue of 4matic on these vehicles because i noticed that the W204 series comes more on 4matic and i overheard one benz mechanic saying we should run away from the 4matics on cars.html

He's said it all
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 7:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
smartchoice: @Au hanson, how is that ac compressor (sanden) performing in your car?

Oh mehn! its been kool all d way; besides i uses it always. I only had an issue once with one of the bolt holding down d compressor pulling out as a result of our poor state of roads. i fix tht anyway after loosening down the steering pump to confirm my curiosity, thouh at first i was wondering where the noise was coming from.. almost mistook it for my shock adjuster but i was wrong, and i thank God i was able to figure that out just on time and fix it as well just yestermorning as soon as i woke up from sleep

That compressor is the strongest and most reliable ever produced , thats why vulcanizers uses it for their biz to pump tires non-stop
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2013
@Au Hanson Okay o now I can venture...
@lomomike lol just sifted n cross posted info..
au.hanson:

Oh mehn! its been kool all d way; besides i uses it always. I only had an issue once with one of the bolt holding down d compressor pulling out as a result of our poor state of roads. i fix tht anyway after loosening down the steering pump to confirm my curiosity, thouh at first i was wondering where the noise was coming from.. almost mistook it for my shock adjuster but i was wrong, and i thank God i was able to figure that out just on time and fix it as well just yestermorning as soon as i woke up from sleep

That compressor is the strongest and most reliable ever produced , thats why vulcanizers uses it for their biz to pump tires non-stop
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
au.hanson:

Hahaha! since you have indicated interest, i'll make you no one on d list when i shall want to do that , but that would only happen if i shall be able to pick up a c350 machine or a BMW 335i
prayin fervently for u o!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
smartchoice: @Au Hanson Okay o now I can venture...
@lomomike lol just sifted n cross posted info..

Pls dont delay this enjoyment, you cant rely in this MB ac system atleast for this model.
Check the ac reliability here: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1994&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=C-Class&trimid=7111#VIP_TAB
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
ninz: prayin fervently for u o!

Sure Amen! thanks

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 29, 2013
thanks

au.hanson:

Pls dont delay this enjoyment, you cant rely in this MB ac system atleast for this model.
Check the ac reliability here: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1994&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=C-Class&trimid=7111#VIP_TAB

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (550) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.