Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,353 members, 7,940,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:03 AM

We Need An Arbitrator. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / We Need An Arbitrator. (907 Views)

We Need A Car 200-100k / We Need A Mobile Cooling Van Urgently / PRE-ORDER RE-DEFINED*****30% UPFRONT*****COMMITMENT IS ALL WE NEED. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Need An Arbitrator. by BizBooks(m): 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2010
The ongoing matter of Ayusman vs Banix has exposed the need for an arbitrator in the Auto Section. An arbitrator is defined as “a private neutral person chosen to settle a dispute”. It does not involve courts or lawyers. Most web sites where goods are bought and sold have one. I believe it is time we appoint somebody to act in that capacity. If possible, Monitor_1 should be given that position.

If a buyer or seller is aggrieved in a transaction, they should forward the matter to the arbitrator. The arbitrator will then request detailed reports from both parties. Submitting information to the arbitrator SHOULD NOT be optional. If he seeks relevant information from you, you must provide it.

Most importantly, the arbitrator should have the power to ban and un-ban. So if a party to a dispute refuses to co-operate, they stand the risk of being banned. This may sound draconian but it is the sort of thing that increases buyers’ confidence in a website. If buyers know that they can go to arbitration when things go wrong, they will be more likely to buy.

Finally, aggrieved parties should not be allowed to litigate their cases on the pages of NL. They should forward such cases to the arbitrator first. After the arbitrator has made his ruling, they may then narrate their sides of the story if they so choose.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by 190: 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2010
190 should get the nod for that

im very capable~
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 03, 2010
I think BizBooks has a brilliant idea here. It remains to be seen, if it will be implemented, and how.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Fogman(m): 3:37pm On Oct 03, 2010
Brilliant idea and highly supported. Hope the Administrator and Monitor will buy this suggestion and implement it in earnest.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by ayusman16(m): 4:48pm On Oct 03, 2010
dis will be a welcome development but my fear is dat like oda ideas we've raised, it will go down d drain. If thr ws something like dis in d first place, thr wld av been no need 4 me opening dat thread.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Onwan: 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2010
ayusman16:

dis will be a welcome development but my fear is dat like oda ideas we've raised, it will go down d drain. If thr ws something like dis in d first place, thr wld av been no need 4 me opening dat thread.
There was and there is nothing wrong with your thread, you had to voice out and people's opinion had to be heard. We learn everyday.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by nex(m): 5:43pm On Oct 03, 2010
An arbitrator shouldn't have powers to punish. If the solution of the arbitrator is not heeded by any of the parties, then the other can use the proceedings of the arbitrator as evidence in the presence of an other body which has the power to punish.

So if arbitration doesn't work, the moderators can then be called in to take action.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by BizBooks(m): 6:21pm On Oct 03, 2010
nex:

An arbitrator shouldn't have powers to punish. If the solution of the arbitrator is not heeded by any of the parties, then the other can use the proceedings of the arbitrator as evidence in the presence of an other body which has the power to punish.

So if arbitration doesn't work, the moderators can then be called in to take action.

You are partially correct. The arbitrator will not have the power to punish one party or the other after the arbitration process. He can only make a recommendation. But if a party refuses to respond to the arbitrator within reason, then judgment is automatically entered against them. We should tailor the process to suit our needs. If a party understands that they can ignore the arbitrator without consequence then they will do so.

In the ongoing case, many people have called on the other party to state their side of the story, but so far they have not done so. In fact they are under no obligation to respond to such requests. But if we have an arbitrator, they must respond to him or risk losing their priviledges as dealers on NL.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Onwan: 7:27pm On Oct 03, 2010
BizBooks:

You are partially correct. The arbitrator will not have the power to punish one party or the other after the arbitration process. He can only make a recommendation. But if a party refuses to respond to the arbitrator within reason, then judgment is automatically entered against them. We should tailor the process to suit our needs. If a party understands that they can ignore the arbitrator without consequence then they will do so.

In the ongoing case, many people have called on the other party to state their side of the story, but so far they have not done so. In fact they are under no obligation to respond to such requests. But if we have an arbitrator, they must respond to him or risk losing their priviledges as dealers on NL.

Makes sense, that would give chance for explanations and lessons. Nice idea.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by ayusman16(m): 8:10pm On Oct 03, 2010
but how will assist in getting d oda party 2 come and respond?
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Onwan: 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2010
@Ayusman16
I called and spoke with Banix, he confirmed he first sold an EOD to one person, and the same person brought a friend ( I'm assuming this would be you and your friend). He said the second person brought his mechanic and they test drove the EOD for a long time and he allowed the mechanic do all the test he wanted, he said the guy also came with someone who does customs papers to confirm the vehicle documents. At the end of the day, the mechanic and the other customs papers person gave an ok for the vehicle before the transaction was concluded.

He confirmed to me that the guy said the guy told him he spent 80k on the vehicle, and that he is shocked at the 300k being claimed by you. If I was Banix I would not even bother giving any explanations as it's not worth typing out based on silly and malicious allegations. It's really unfair.

You should even go to the Police so that they can take that car from your friend and you will be shocked at what will happen.

My conclusion is that you are not a truthful person and you are only out to try and mess with Banix reputation. Your friend has issues with his mechanic and not Banix. And you also owe the house an apology for this trash you started.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by ayusman16(m): 9:28pm On Oct 03, 2010
@onwan, if u believe banix then u wld believe anything. am shocked at what u r saying. if banix claimed 2 av met me then u or him needs a shrink. i don't av issue with u but with banix. it is very obvious he wasnt refering 2 me.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Onwan: 9:37pm On Oct 03, 2010
ayusman16:

@onwan, if u believe banix then u wld believe anything. am shocked at what u r saying. if banix claimed 2 av met me then u or him needs a shrink. i don't av issue with u but with banix. it is very obvious he wasnt refering 2 me.
I thought it was your friend that bought the Honda and not you. The question is, did your friend go with a mechanic? Yes or No
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by ayusman16(m): 9:51pm On Oct 03, 2010
if banix told u my friend only spent 80k then i guess we might just take d issue up with d police. Then we will see who is not truthful. why is banix now making frantic effort 2 contact d guy? he is definately hiding something? i dnt blame u onwan, u got 2 support ur friend banix. let us sort it out wit banix dis wk. Enough has been said alrdy.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 04, 2010
If you all work out the modus operandi of this arbirtation process and establish clear ground rules, I'd be glad to make a submission to the Admin - i. e. if he has not already seen this thread.

It suffices to say however, that the Admin rarely makes special rules for different sections of the forum.
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by BizBooks(m): 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2010
Monitor_1:

If you all work out the modus operandi of this arbirtation process and establish clear ground rules, I'd be glad to make a submission to the Admin - i. e. if he has not already seen this thread.

It suffices to say however, that the Admin rarely makes special rules for different sections of the forum.

It appears Monitor_1 supports the idea of an arbitrator but does not think the Admin will approve it. I suggest we appoint an informal arbitrator who will settle disputes on our behalf. This will be limited to the auto section and will not apply to other sections of NL.

Carshopper is currently acting as an informal arbitrator in the matter of Ayusman vs Banix and it is yielding positive results. Here is what Babajihaid said about it:

@ Carshoper, thanks for helping us to clear this issue, you have been of tremendous help. I like the way you handled it.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-524026.96.html#msg6872407
Re: We Need An Arbitrator. by german007(m): 2:31pm On Oct 04, 2010
May I add to this thread.

The Arbitrator idea is a very good one indeed. Im in full support of it. Kudos to you Mr Bizbooks for the vital suggestion.

I stumbled upon the Ayuman/Banix thread, Im also very impressed with the way Carshopper handled it. 

Onwan also posesses a non-biased, fair hearing and neutral policy.

Il endorse Carshopper and/or Onwan as Informal Arbitrators, or Formal, if the admin approves/implements the idea.

cool

(1) (Reply)

2005 Toyota Avalon Xls. 1.6m / Prices Of The Following List Of Cars / 2002 Honda Accord Leader Seat 4 Plug 1.3 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.