Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,663 members, 7,972,472 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 11:33 AM

82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years (480 Views)

Fake EFCC Operatives Bag 46 Years Jail Term For Impersonation, Fraud / UK Based Nigerian Man Given Life Sentence For Beating Wife To Death / Clinton Kalu: Man Wrongfully Imprisoned For 27 Years Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by etcsines: 6:07am On Jun 25, 2019
@titiloyeblog.com

82-year-old man compensated with $288,000 after 46 years for being wrongfully convicted for murder.

82-year-old Vietnamese man Tran Van Them was charged, convicted and sentenced to death in 1973 and 1974. He was only declared innocent in 2017.

Them, a resident of Yen Phong District in Bac Ninh Province, one hour northeast of Hanoi, got the compensation for the years he spent in jail

He and his family originally demanded VND15 billion in compensation for his ordeal, which included being sentenced to death twice. After prolonged negotiations, they agreed to accept less than half their demand, because "we have been waiting for too long" and Them "is already too old and his health has been declining progressively," the family said.

According to police records, They and his cousin Nguyen Khac Van were on their way to buy goods in Vinh Phu Province, which has now been separated into Phu Tho and Vinh Phuc provinces, on June 23, 1970, VnExpress reports.

As they were sleeping under a makeshift shelter used by a street barber during the day, they were attacked and robbed. Van was hit in the head and They were injured, too. Van died at the hospital later and police concluded that They had committed robbery and murder.

At the trial of the first instance in 1973, he was sentenced to death, and the sentence was upheld in 1974. They refused to admit guilt and steadfastly asserted he was innocent.

In 1976, he was released after a local man admitted to the crime. But that suspect died in 1984 before the court resumed the trial.

As the investigators did not continue investigating the case and left it unresolved, They submitted a petition in 1997, asking the supreme court to review the case, but nothing was changed.

On December 6, 2004, They filed another petition, but by then, the Justice Council Members of the Supreme People's Court had destroyed all files of the first instance and appeal trials. This allowed police to start the investigation afresh in line with regulations.

11 long years later, investigators collected enough evidence to close the case and affirm Them’s innocence.

On August 8, 2016, investigators decided to stop investigating them and the supreme court concluded that he was innocent. Three days later, the court made a public apology to them.

In 2017, the supreme court deleted all criminal records of them and began negotiating the compensation.

Now a free man, Them said: "During all those years in prison, I still believed that I would be declared innocent one day and that the police would definitely arrest the real culprit."
"I’ve suffered all those days that people, including family members, shunned me. But I did not do it."

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/06/82-year-old-man-compensated-with-288000.html

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by manthem(m): 6:32am On Jun 25, 2019
common
Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by ebuk4real(m): 6:42am On Jun 25, 2019
As in... 46 whole years? Hope he's given a nationwide apology & recognition like Mandela not just money?
Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by GOFRONT(m): 6:43am On Jun 25, 2019
If it's in Nigeria, even tho a man is wrongfully imprisoned for 50 years, Las las, when you check very well, he has a hand in one crime or another......

This is Nigeria, Everybody is a criminal...
Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by Hoodbilonia: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2019
Its a sad thing .u can see his daughter weeping.
God. Has always been merciful
Forget o. Na asia. Dem nor dey quick die.
Dah aypan go flex dah money till about 120yrs before he go reach heaven.
asians dem wey like hardwork die and can smoke carton of ciga
Aypar ride on
288k dollars na beans.

Nothing like freedom
Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by titiloyeblog: 9:34am On Jun 25, 2019
That amount is too small na. Just imagine what he has lost in the time frame.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: 82-year Old Man Given $288,000 For Wrongfully Imprisoned For 46 Years by Auxtin85(m): 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2019
Make I hear say Nigeria compensate anyone wrongfully accused.

(1) (Reply)

Kidnapper Killed After Gun Battle With Policemen, Abducted Woman Rescued. / I Was Raped By Coza Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo, Says Timi Dakolo’s Wife / Please Help! Issues With My BVN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.