Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,987 members, 7,873,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:15 AM

Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud (21431 Views)

Oceanic Bank Now Eco Bank? / Loan: Jimoh Ibrahim Pays N3bn To Oceanic Bank / Assistance Wanted: Swift Code Of Oceanic Bank Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2010
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by CrudeOil2(m): 1:30am On Oct 09, 2010
I guess Mallam Sanusi is happy now.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 2:55am On Oct 09, 2010
6 months for stealing $1Bn. I laughcry! undecided

She should not be getting anything less than 10 years.

Although it is a plea-bargain, that is one hell of a shitty plea-bargain. Even with a plea-bargain, it should not be less than 5 years.

More importantly, were are the utter retards that were castigating Sanusi when he was acting on these frauds? All morons need to acknowledge their mental situation and voluntarily rescind their right to vote.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by kafanchan: 8:42am On Oct 09, 2010
Wait o , I just read on www.compassnewspaper.com that her three offences are :

The anti-graft agency had alleged in the amended charge that Ibru granted a credit facility in the sum of 20 million US Dollars to Waves Project Limited which was above her credit approval limit as laid down by the bank.

She was also accused of failing to take all reasonable steps to ensure the correctness of Oceanic bank's monthly return to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) between October 2008 and May 2009.

Mrs Ibru was also said to have recklessly approved the grant of a credit facility in the sum of N2 billion by the bank to one Petosan Farms Limited without adequate security as laid down by the regulations of Oceanic bank, thereby committing an offence punishable under section 15 of the Failed Banks and Financial Malpractice in Bank Act.

Does it mean she wasnt sentenced for stealing money? Or let me put it this way. It is like she was not found guilty of stealing money. Maybe that is why her sentence is short. She was only accused of being reckless.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2010
y'all are forgetting,

for a person as greedy as cecilia is that 150 billion is TRUE pain

a str8up kick in the nuts to the entire ibru clan.

i wouldn't want to be her right now - with the knives her family will have out for her, jail will be the safest place

her lawyer must have gone over the evidence and told her - just give it up

so where are those twats who were hyperventilating over sanusi saying she should be shot?

do u still feel the same way now, seeing as she converted 150billion of depositors funds into the ibru's personal assets
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by kafanchan: 9:09am On Oct 09, 2010
Wait o , I just read on www.compassnewspaper.com that her three offences are :

The anti-graft agency had alleged in the amended charge that Ibru granted a credit facility in the sum of 20 million US Dollars to Waves Project Limited which was above her credit approval limit as laid down by the bank.

She was also accused of failing to take all reasonable steps to ensure the correctness of Oceanic bank's monthly return to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) between October 2008 and May 2009.

Mrs Ibru was also said to have recklessly approved the grant of a credit facility in the sum of N2 billion by the bank to one Petosan Farms Limited without adequate security as laid down by the regulations of Oceanic bank, thereby committing an offence punishable under section 15 of the Failed Banks and Financial Malpractice in Bank Act.

Does it mean she wasnt sentenced for stealing money? Or let me put it this way. It is like she was not found guilty of stealing money. Maybe that is why her sentence is short. She was only accused of being reckless.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by favouredjb(f): 9:27am On Oct 09, 2010
Silly judgement,just six months?I weep for this country,d woman that defrauded ppl of close to 1million naira the other day was sentenced to ten years,this is insane.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by nex(m): 9:42am On Oct 09, 2010
In law, it is best for the prosecution to pursue charges which they have obvious hard evidence against the accused rather than the charges that carry the highest punishment but which they cannot prove because the accused will walk free.

Let's not forget that even a deadly criminal like Al Capone in the USA, after several murders, assassinations, robberies, bootlegging, bribery, intimidation, extortion, and obstruction of justice cases he had faced and walked free, he was finally nailed for tax evasion because that was what the prosecution had hard evidence on.

After Cecilia has done her time, when more substantial evidence is obtained on other charges, she can then be prosecuted on those.

Well, though I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it is also a crime for one individual to register more than one company name to carry on exactly identical business concerns.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by kafanchan: 9:55am On Oct 09, 2010
favouredjb:

Silly judgement,just six months?I weep for this country,d woman that defrauded ppl of close to 1million naira the other day was sentenced to ten years,this is insane.

Bros, you are not sharp. The woman you were talking about was found guilty of fraud. Cecilia Ibru was found guilty of only mismanagement, acting above her capacity and not redendring statutory returns. Fraud is not among her crime according to EFCC and the court. Let us all be reading carefully between the lines and be observant before making comments. Dont misquote me please, I am not in her fan.

nex:

In law, it is best for the prosecution to pursue charges which they have obvious hard evidence against the accused rather than the charges that carry the highest punishment but which they cannot prove because the accused will walk free.

Let's not forget that even a deadly criminal like Al Capone in the USA, after several murders, assassinations, robberies, bootlegging, bribery, intimidation, extortion, and obstruction of justice cases he had faced and walked free, he was finally nailed for tax evasion because that was what the prosecution had hard evidence on.

After Cecilia has done her time, when more substantial evidence is obtained on other charges, she can then be prosecuted on those.

Well, though I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it is also a crime for one individual to register more than one company name to carry on exactly identical business concerns.
You are sharp. That is just it. Although I will still consult some company lawyers before I'll agree or disagree about your last paragraph and sentence. This is the first time I will be hearing that.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by cold(m): 11:47am On Oct 09, 2010
6 months for fraudulently enriching herself,jheeze! This is nothin but a slap on the wrist.Bernie madoff wld be wishing he were a Nigerian
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2010
kafanchan:

Bros, you are not sharp. The woman you were talking about was found guilty of fraud. Cecilia Ibru was found guilty of only mismanagement, acting above her capacity and not redendring statutory returns. Fraud is not among her crime according to EFCC and the court. Let us all be reading carefully between the lines and be observant before making comments. Dont misquote me please, I am not in her fan.
You are sharp. That is just it. Although I will still consult some company lawyers before I'll agree or disagree about your last paragraph and sentence. This is the first time I will be hearing that.

Amsorry, Mr Sharp, what is more grave about fraud of $4K than intentionally mismanaging [size=14pt]$1BN[/size]?

You think the mismanagement was not done in a way that it favoured her, her family and friends, Miiiiiiiister Shaaaaaaaaaarp?

Please explain.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by MsBS(f): 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2010
If I only had to deal with 6 months in jail I would go and THIEF all that money too, seems like a pretty good deal on her end,
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by hercules07: 12:29pm On Oct 09, 2010
@Kafanchan

She has not been found guilty of fraud because she made a deal (the plea bargain), the way it works is you approach the prosecution and say, let me forfeit everything that you guys know about (not exactly in those terms of course), reduce your charges to ones that do not carry weight, let the Judge sentence me to a small jail term. The fact that she is willing to to forfeit 150 billion naira shows that she is a big thief, in China, she will be looking at death. The prosecution have done a huge disservice to the nation by agreeing to this plea bargain, money is one thing that leaves a trail and if they could get her to forfeit this much, they could have negotiated a tougher sentence (say 5 years imprisonment with parole after 3 Years for good behaviour). I hope Erastus can take a cue from madam and negotiate a 3 year jail sentence and forfeiture of assets.
We can safely conclude that if madam is ready to forfeit 150 billion naira, she probably has some more billions somewhere else, the truth is that in Nigeria, people who hold the commonwealth in trust are fully dipping their hands in the till. We need to revamp our judicial system to punish people in proportion to the gravity of their crime.
Note: If you steal 10 Million naira and expect to plea bargain, you are on your own o.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by lajoo504: 12:37pm On Oct 09, 2010
Its really unfortunate that after stealling this much, she was given only 6 months jail term and yet we have lots of guys that spent 2, 3 or more years in detention for stealing 10,000 naira.
Well, i will say we are actually coming up, at least she has been convicted now. My only worry is that after coming out she maight be offered a chieftancy tittle or even a minister in the new cabinet of the F.G.
Lets just wait and.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by cold(m): 12:40pm On Oct 09, 2010
At the resumption of hearing yesterday, counsel to the EFCC, Kola Awodein (SAN) told the court that there was an agreement between the prosecution and the accused person’s lawyer which has been put in a written form and which has been filed before the court.
He said, “We will be inviting the court under section 17 of the Federal High Court Act, which enjoins this court to promote reconciliation among parties and facilitate an amicable settlement with them under the inherent jurisdiction of the court under section 6(6) of the 1999 constitution.
“We will therefore be seeking the court to exercise these powers in this matter with regard to the agreement that has been reached. It is the desire of the prosecution to amend the charge that has been filed in this matter by applying to withdraw a number of counts; all of the counts except counts 14, 17 and 23, which would be left for her to take her plea.”
He further said that with regards to the fact relating to count 14, the accused person approved the grant of credit facility while she served as the MD/CEO of the bank. Counsel to the sacked bank chief, Professor Taiwo Osipitan (SAN), prayed the court to order that the sentence should run concurrently. According to him, the accused grew the bank from nothing to something and that she wished the bank should continue to grow and that is why she is letting go.
The professor added further that, “It is to the knowledge of all concerned that the accused has been in the hospital and she has been diagnosed by the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) that she has Acute Cardiac problem and Sinuses. “I urge court to allow her go back to the hospital from the court, and allow her sentence to start running.”
EFCC had earlier arraigned Ibru on a 25-count charge in August 31, 2009 which she pleaded not guilty. However the EFCC yesterday decided to reduce it to 3 counts which bordered on approving the grant of a credit facility in the sum of $20m by the bank to Waves Project in the country.

http://www.weekly.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4289:cecilia-ibru-gets-18-month-jail-term-to-forfeit-n191bn-assets&catid=40:cover-stories&Itemid=26

I must say she got off lightly on this one.This is more of an attempt at embarrasment than imprisonment
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by tellwisdom: 12:42pm On Oct 09, 2010
@ poster wetin u want make we do? make we go arrest her? GET OUT JOR ~Joblessness and rumour~
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Sagamite(m): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2010
cold:

The professor added further that, “It is to the knowledge of all concerned that the accused has been in the hospital and she has been diagnosed by the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) that she has Acute Cardiac problem and Sinuses. “I urge court to allow her go back to the hospital from the court, and allow her sentence to start running.”

hahahahahaha!!!

So basically she would not spend one day in jail, if their plan works. She would spend her 6 months term in LUTH. grin
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by shalewabab(f): 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2010
WHAO I am highly surprised.Many Nigerians are dying of Cholera day in day out,due to improper health facilities yet just a person keeps #150,000,000,000 to herself alone ,does she thinks naira is being spent in heaven.To me the judge is too lenient with her .she is suppose to  rot in that prison.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by GBT(m): 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2010
. . . . . . . . . . This judgement just LEGALISED corruption in Nigeria . . . . . . . . . .

Was it a plea - bargain judgement?

Honesty doesnot pay in this country at all!!!!!

I FEEL YOU AND AM STUNNED, SPEECHLESS MYSELF  AS IN  IT JUST PURE MADNESS.
THE JUDGE SHOULD BURY  HIMSELF/HERSELF/ITSELF IN GUTTER OF SHAME! DAMM IT IS SO SAD
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by GBT(m): 12:58pm On Oct 09, 2010
so where are those twats who were hyperventilating over sanusi saying she should be shot?

do u still feel the same way now, seeing as she converted 150billion of depositors funds into the ibru's personal assets

Honestly i hope they have something to say about it [img][/img] sad angry
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by sley4life(m): 12:59pm On Oct 09, 2010
Its sad. in a country were the rich corrupt individuals hardly smell jail for a heinous crime.Why 6months? I bet she would have a/c in her jail domicile. What does the message send to the militant. U work hard and u hardly see any positive gain.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by cold(m): 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2010
G.B.T:

Honesty doesnot pay in this country at all!!!!!
I feel u.Crime pays
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by JUO(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2010
six months is too small
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2010
abegi, give her a break

that 150 billion is probably all her assets

or maybe 85% of them anyway
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by GP15: 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2010
cecilia is a shame to womanhood
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Remii(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2010
Its not the length of jail term, its the effect on her record, she has been jailed for criminal offences, she is now an exconfict, property loss would deal a great blow with her too.
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Mobinga: 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2010
She should be shot. The judge should be shot
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by edoyad(m): 1:32pm On Oct 09, 2010
This woman is being persecuted for opposing jeGa's govt, shame on Sanusi Lamido and Fareedah grin
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by denony(m): 1:42pm On Oct 09, 2010
this is what is called greedy
all this for just a woman?
this woman na pure criminal
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by denony(m): 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2010
but what will happen to all the properties, monies and shares?
it will still go in one of the rogues account.
no explanation
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by doja(m): 1:51pm On Oct 09, 2010
The Guardian & Vanguard Newspapers did not even make a mention of this news! it only shows that these media houses only report news that they are comfortable with, 2bad
Re: Former MD Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud by Teejayphillip(m): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2010
just six month jail term 2 dis corrupt,stupid n idiotic lady, infact dem suppose jail am 4 life,afta all she did 2 us workin in oceanic. we r retrecnhed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Amputated Man Sells Beads In Onitsha (Photo) / Guidelines For Company Registration In Nigeria (register Your Company) / Six Banks Meet Cbn’s Dividend Payout Rule (names)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.