Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,300 members, 7,887,891 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:55 PM

Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA (452 Views)

Agberos Are Shareholders In Lagos & Southwest Politics, / What Is The Meaning Of 'ruga'? / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: Shehu Sani Reacts To FG's Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by raybaba97(m): 6:17pm On Jul 08, 2019
Tar Baby and Southwest Politics (3)

Where do we stand?

The current state of things within the country calls for introspection on the part of the Nigerian man. As Yoruba, we have always prided ourselves on our degree of political acuity. I believe that this is the time to exercise that grace.

The high rate of literacy amongst our people can be blamed for our highly diverse political believes. Unlike every other region (most especially the North), the high literacy percentage found in the southwest means that we believe ourselves knowledgeable enough to form our own ideas of who to vote for and which policy to support.

Like I had articulated in my last article, this spread of political beliefs and opinions often also works against us. Like every other article before this, I speak of the RUGA policy. A policy that has so thoroughly divided our nation in the last few weeks than anything else in our shared history.

Going through news report over the last few weeks hints at a dangerous trend. Where before we spoke of a history of southern betrayals, now we speak of a history of northern conflicts. Buhari’s inability to organize a tolerable response to the crises has merely fanned the embers of discontent into towering flames that seems to grow ever larger.

As accusations and threats are thrown back and forth, Nigeria seems to inch ever closer to a crisis that may swallow us all. The southern-Northern divide seems to stand out in an ever-sharper contrast of opinions.

The thoughts of the Yoruba should thus turn to the best way to handle such a crisis. The era of each governor for himself has long since passed us by. In the face of this dangerous new threat to the whole region, it is up to each political/traditional leader how he/she would like to be remembered in history. As the sell-out, or as the one who stood by his/her electorates when the going got tough.

I advise that this crisis should be handled as one people. As the most politically savvy and literally acute region within the southern part of the country, I believe that a unity in voice and active resistance will pressure the government into compliance.

It is a shame that knowing the scale of this threat, many Governors and other political leaders from the regions have so far kept mum on what should hopefully be their disgust.

It is a shame that despite existing as a supposed democracy, Nigeria is a country where the opinion of the people does not seem to count for something. Nigeria currently sits on a time-bomb that will soon explode. As the scale of the crisis expands, I imagine we will soon see wholesale violence on the streets.

Genocide against the Fulani is now an option for people violently opposed to RUGA, and more people take an ever more radical stance every day the government spends paralyzed to respond satisfactorily to the people’s demand.

Let us stand in unity with our southern brothers in resisting this policy, before we are all consumed by the conflagration.
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by MayorofLagos(m): 10:18pm On Jul 08, 2019
Very nice write up!

The governors are only in place for political leadership. What we are seeing on the horizon calls for military leadership. Do we have a Yoruba Army? If we do they should be on standy. If we do not then we screwed up.

Political leadership will be the arrowhead of negotiations. If any attack or assault is directed at us Governors and political negotiations must standby pending a complete demolition of the attacker using military resource.
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by MayorofLagos(m): 10:25pm On Jul 08, 2019
I did not include this part because I want it to stand alone.

The part where you said let us stand in unity with our southern brothers is unecessary.

If we have to fight an assault, then there is no Nigeria after that. The separation of everything along ethnic lies must be the correct action to take.

If you are looking for numbers and alliance to fight fulani, we dont need southern Nigeria. What we need is Yoruba nations in Republic of Benin, Togo and Ghana forming a joint force.

Many of you often forget Yoruba has a spread across borders. They are part of a strategy.
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by raybaba97(m): 9:07pm On Jul 09, 2019
It would be ideal to stand alone as one Yoruba nation. However, our ability to exist as an independent entity does not mean our ability to thrive as one.

The new thing around the world is globalization, and as the AU wishes to bind Africa closer, would it not be counterproductive to choose now to separate?

What we need is a true federation where the only common things between states are a shared national identity and similar laws.

each federating unit will be fully in control of their own resources and laws and the senate will actually be a Parliament of representatives.

For these reasons, it makes more sense to form a southern federation than a singular Yoruba nation.

Nigeria was an ideal creation at it's birth, it was the religious divide and northern avarice for perpetuity that started the voice of separation we hear now.

This RUGA nonsence only confirmed what every southern Nigerian had been fearing. The north is not interested in peaceful coexistence.

1 Like

Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by raybaba97(m): 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2019
it was never about the war. We don't need another tribe to deal with the northerners.

It was about politics of economy.
while we can be great alone, together we can be even greater
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Gandollaar(f): 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2019
raybaba97:
Tar Baby and Southwest Politics (3)

Where do we stand?

The current state of things within the country calls for introspection on the part of the Nigerian man. As Yoruba, we have always prided ourselves on our degree of political acuity. I believe that this is the time to exercise that grace.

The high rate of literacy amongst our people can be blamed for our highly diverse political believes. Unlike every other region (most especially the North), the high literacy percentage found in the southwest means that we believe ourselves knowledgeable enough to form our own ideas of who to vote for and which policy to support.

Like I had articulated in my last article, this spread of political beliefs and opinions often also works against us. Like every other article before this, I speak of the RUGA policy. A policy that has so thoroughly divided our nation in the last few weeks than anything else in our shared history.

Going through news report over the last few weeks hints at a dangerous trend. Where before we spoke of a history of southern betrayals, now we speak of a history of northern conflicts. Buhari’s inability to organize a tolerable response to the crises has merely fanned the embers of discontent into towering flames that seems to grow ever larger.

As accusations and threats are thrown back and forth, Nigeria seems to inch ever closer to a crisis that may swallow us all. The southern-Northern divide seems to stand out in an ever-sharper contrast of opinions.

The thoughts of the Yoruba should thus turn to the best way to handle such a crisis. The era of each governor for himself has long since passed us by. In the face of this dangerous new threat to the whole region, it is up to each political/traditional leader how he/she would like to be remembered in history. As the sell-out, or as the one who stood by his/her electorates when the going got tough.

I advise that this crisis should be handled as one people. As the most politically savvy and literally acute region within the southern part of the country, I believe that a unity in voice and active resistance will pressure the government into compliance.

It is a shame that knowing the scale of this threat, many Governors and other political leaders from the regions have so far kept mum on what should hopefully be their disgust.

It is a shame that despite existing as a supposed democracy, Nigeria is a country where the opinion of the people does not seem to count for something. Nigeria currently sits on a time-bomb that will soon explode. As the scale of the crisis expands, I imagine we will soon see wholesale violence on the streets.

Genocide against the Fulani is now an option for people violently opposed to RUGA, and more people take an ever more radical stance every day the government spends paralyzed to respond satisfactorily to the people’s demand.

Let us stand in unity with our southern brothers in resisting this policy, before we are all consumed by the conflagration.

Tinubu that brought the curse of APC to the SW has publicly endorsed the RUGA policy, I wonder who else amongst you can be bold enough to do otherwise.
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Gandollaar(f): 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2019
MayorofLagos:
Very nice write up!

The governors are only in place for political leadership. What we are seeing on the horizon calls for military leadership. Do we have a Yoruba Army? If we do they should be on standy. If we do not then we screwed up.

Political leadership will be the arrowhead of negotiations. If any attack or assault is directed at us Governors and political negotiations must standby pending a complete demolition of the attacker using military resource.

Attack fulani? Just try it and Tinubu kisses his presidential ambition goodnight!
Sorry bro that's the way it is and that's why he has publicly endorsed the move as the only solution to herders/farmers crises.
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Gandollaar(f): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2019
MayorofLagos:
I did not include this part because I want it to stand alone.

The part where you said let us stand in unity with our southern brothers is unecessary.

If we have to fight an assault, then there is no Nigeria after that. The separation of everything along ethnic lies must be the correct action to take.

If you are looking for numbers and alliance to fight fulani, we dont need southern Nigeria. What we need is Yoruba nations in Republic of Benin, Togo and Ghana forming a joint force.

Many of you often forget Yoruba has a spread across borders. They are part of a strategy.
Hahahaha...what about Yorubas in Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Sierra Leone and the gigantic Yoruba community in London?? Hahahahahaha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Adaibeku(f): 11:14pm On Jul 09, 2019
Joke of a tribe ,yorubas in togo ,benin rep

It will be a show of betrayal ,More like a festival of saboteurs because i know togo & cotonou citizens are 10times No-honour than sw yorubas...
100times cowards than real yorubas in south west ...

A traveller is better than a lagos professor

1 Like

Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Adaibeku(f): 11:17pm On Jul 09, 2019
Gandollaar:
Hahahaha...what about Yorubas in Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Sierra Leone and the gigantic Yoruba community in London?? Hahahahahaha grin grin
igbos in togo n benin use to say " Sw yorubas are lions while togo n benins are rats ....i confirmed it n is true..

U ar in 4 a shocker ! Sai baba will use COAS buy ruga in yoruba
Re: Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA by Gandollaar(f): 11:47pm On Jul 09, 2019
Adaibeku:
igbos in togo n benin use to say " Sw yorubas are lions while togo n benins are rats ....i confirmed it n is true..

U ar in 4 a shocker ! Sai baba will use COAS by ruga in yoruba
Let them try any rubbish, they will know the monster they voted for

(1) (Reply)

Senator Elisha Abbo: Don’t Threaten Me With Suspension / Governor Yahaya Bello Taking Bold Steps To Build Sustainable Economy For Kogi St / Obasanjo’s Full Text Open Letter To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.