Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,788 members, 7,875,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:25 AM

Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) (43257 Views)

Beautiful Cities In Rivers State. (photos). / Homelessness In The USA / Nigerian Air Force Plane Crashes In Kaduna State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by Angelfrost(m): 8:41am On Jul 17, 2019
9jaRealist:

What has political leaders to do with the concentration of business in Lagos?

The businesses in Lagos are PRIVATE, which means that PRIVATE citizens and individuals from around the world VOTE with their wallet and feet to do business in Lagos. There are seaports in Calabar, Warri, Port Harcourt Onne (2 ports), Bonny, Sapele, and Escravos, among others. Nonetheless, it is PRIVATE individuals and businesses that VOTE with their feet and wallet which ports they prefer to use (and if you ever have to pay the much higher insurance premiums to use the Niger Delta region ports, perhaps you would comprehend why Lagos remains first preference for most importers).

As for the government "mandating" (as in, forcing) manufacturers to relocate out of Lagos, as my African-American kin would say "Is you serious?!" Why on earth would the government dictate to anyone already risking their capital in an infrastructure-poor Nigeria (where each manufacturer and most businesses have to be their own virtual Local Government) where to deploy their own PRIVATE resources - perhaps as the government itself foolishly built a refinery in Kaduna far away from the source of crude oil without the capacity to maintain pipelines to feed said refinery (among other issues).

Nigerians should realize that we are competing for investments with virtually the rest of the world, and forcing businesses out of Lagos does not necessarily mean that they will relocate to Asaba or Kaduna, instead of Accra, Kumasi or Cotonou! Anyway, many manufacturers (and some people who are employed in Lagos) have actually relocated to, or have invested in entirely new plants in, the neighboring Ogun State and effectively creating a megapolis of sorts that intertwines some parts of Ogun State with Lagos. That's a NATURAL organic progression that is preferable as it's based on economic premises rather than political government fiat or diktat.
>

Guy, all these emotional points of yours, as valid as they are, still did not address the fundamental issue: How do you decongest Lagos?... Is it not by creating or making other cities economically viable?... If the trend of Lagos population is left unchecked, do you know what will eventually become of that place?...

Well, since most of us see it all as normal, let's all mind our businesses. Maybe, it will sort itself out.
Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by WhoBeThisMan: 9:52am On Jul 17, 2019
Graduateacher:

For most crop farmers,
Land + seedlings + good climate = produce.

For Animal husbandry, Land + good weed = healthy meat.

Nature has already certified the success of both.
you make it sound so simple. But that's not all. What about a cess road to get your produce out to the market, what about adequate security so you can come to your farm and go back home without fear,what about electricity to store your produce, what about safety on the road when transferring your goods to the market, what about avoidable accidents that cause wastage, do you know how many farmers have been rendered penyless after a whole seasons work because of this?

My friend if it is that simple as you said perharps you should go into farming

1 Like

Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by Graduateacher(f): 11:17am On Jul 17, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
you make it sound so simple. But that's not all. What about a cess road to get your produce out to the market, what about adequate security so you can come to your farm and go back home without fear,what about electricity to store your produce, what about safety on the road when transferring your goods to the market, what about avoidable accidents that cause wastage, do you know how many farmers have been rendered penyless after a whole seasons work because of this?

My friend if it is that simple as you said perharps you should go into farming

I have indeed. I've got my first foot into poultry for now, let's see how things go.
Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by WhoBeThisMan: 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2019
Graduateacher:

I have indeed. I've got my first foot into poultry for now, let's see how things go.
when you are done, then we talk again
Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by Staro: 2:07pm On Jul 17, 2019
9jaRealist:

Can supposedly “educated” Africans/Nigerians please quit regurgitating every Oyinbo pablum... undecided

Even granted the fact that most of what passes for “education” in much of colonialized Africa is substantively based on the “repeat-after-me” methodology of cramming and regurgitating with precious little (if any independent inquiry or thought), but it still should be enough of a head start of sorts that when people (many of whom have never been near Lagos and some who cannot even pick it out in a global map) start spewing gibberish about us. We should be controlling our own narratives nor merely regurgitating our own lives as seen through Oyinbo-tainted glasses.

Nonetheless, first, the supposed index was about a selected number of global cities and not all cities, so even if we are to accept their tortured index hook line and sinker as zombies without independent inquiry, query or judgment, Lagos still would not be considered as “the second worst city to live in the world” (btw, the flawed index actually rated Lagos third-lowest among those selected cities, not second). The index and the indices upon which it was based was substantively a largely subjective evaluation of the lifestyle of Westerners/Oyinbo in those selected cities. The index was NOT a measurement of the suitability/livability of those cities to INDIGENOUS lifestyles.

Lagos is an AFRICAN/Nigerian city and the best measurement for Lagos should primarily be how best it suits the lifestyles or tastes of indigenous Nigerians/Africans and not expatriates or tourists
(eg, many British/Western women love The Gambia because of the thriving sexpliotation of poor young Gambian, and would probably rate it as a more preferred destination than Nigeria just on that basis). Admittedly, there are several areas of measurable commonality (particularly infrastructure), but not having a museum or opera house is of less important to most indigenous Nigerian than a good place to play draughts and eat dried fish, kpomo or nkwobi.
>

I don't know how else to reply you than to
advise you travel out of Nigeria.

That ranking is done every year by a very credible body ... but, have
you ever heard Lagos state govt officials refute it?

Your emphasis on Lagos being an African/Nigeria city blah blah is laughable.

Do Africans/Nigerians not like good life? Are you saying Lagosians enjoy the city's
poor town planning
poor road network
poor electricity supply
poor housing
poor standard of living
poor public transportation
poor public water supply
poor healthcare
poor sanitation
Pollution
Touts/criminals everywhere
No value for human life
Unruly populace
Etc?

Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2019
Beautyaddy:

I know...but at least you can show or lead the way of encouraging people into full time farming by examples.

Research me and you will be able to know better Sir.
Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by 9jaRealist: 1:52am On Jul 18, 2019
Staro:

Do Africans/Nigerians not like good life? Are you saying Lagosians enjoy the city's
poor town planning
poor road network
poor electricity supply
poor housing
poor standard of living
poor public water supply
poor healthcare
poor sanitation
Pollution
No value for human life
Unruly populace
Etc?]

Not exactly sure what the point of the largely redundant list is supposed to be... undecided

I already noted there are measurable COMMONALITIES such as infrastructure where Lagos mostly lags (and btw infrastructure is both physical and social), but those are only SOME (not all) of many indices upon which the list is based - which is something that anyone who actually read the report (rather than merely regurgitate what frankly amounts to a parachute analysis) would know.

Meanwhile, are there NO touts or criminals in other cities? Or are those Lagos terms or peculiar to Lagos? There's no pollution in other cities? And yet we see people in China sometimes having to walk around in surgical masks, while sometimes smog is so thick in Indian cities that folks with respiratory issues are virtually forcibly confined to their homes.

It may interest you to LEARN that the World Health Organization's 2018 Global Ambient Air Quality Database, which monitors air pollution in almost 2700 towns and cities in 91 countries, does not list Lagos among the Top 500 polluted cities. So, instead of just repeat-after-me cramming and regurgitating, a little bit of inquiry and research is expected from "educated" Africans.

Btw, in 2017, there were nearly 40,000 gun-related homicides and 577 mass shootings (defined as involving 4 or more victims) in the US - in effect, more than an average of 1.5 mass shootings every day, but doubtful that any RATIONAL person would accuse US residents of "having no value for human life", not least because the reason homicides are tragic events is the value contradistinction.

Finally, who cares if Lagos State "officials" refute the report?! Not only is that IRRELEVANT but it betrays your continued failure the grasp the concept of INDEPENDENT thought (based on personal knowledge and inquiry), rather than merely repeat-after-me. Furthermore, in all humility, the capacity and standards of most government officials are much LOWER than those to which I hold myself.
>
Re: Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) by Ugosample(m): 10:29am On Jul 18, 2019
Staro:

poor town planning
poor road network
poor electricity supply
poor housing
poor standard of living
poor public water supply
poor healthcare
poor sanitation
Pollution
No value for human life
Unruly populace
Etc?

you are right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Life In Libyan Cells Where Europe-bound Nigerians Die Like Chickens(picture) / Nnewi Auto Accident: 2 Students, 6 Others Die (Graphic Pix & video) / Top Ten Most Populated Countries In Africa (Facts And Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.