Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,760 members, 7,930,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 10:59 PM

Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family (803 Views)

As a Christian, Is This Not Enough Reason To Divorce Him? / Hidden Agony Of A Father In The Family / Agony Of Monogamy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by buttlover(m): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Please how do I takle this situation? We are Christian family, nowadays I don't derive improvement, joy or any sort of comfortability in going to church. My family see it as a bad omen to the extent of having bad impression about me. My mum talks to me as if Boko Haram bandits are better than me. I'm cool and lovely. I believe in nature and human conscience.
Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by elektra(f): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2019
A lot of atheists in Nigeria never identify as one just to keep the peace in the family. Our society has become one that believes you have to identify with one of the 2 major religions.

I am agnostic myself but I have never told any family member. The trouble is not worth it. I go to church regularly but it is more of a social gathering for me than anything else. It is where you can easily network and get to know people of interest to you.
My brother made the mistake of openly questioning the validity of Jesus and Mohammed to his wife, it has been several years and my family is still using it to judge him.

You can keep going with them to church, see it as time set aside to spend with your family and friends.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by pocohantas(f): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2019
If you are living under their roof,

Eating mummy thank you,

Charging your phone with the generator and fuel they bought...

Then you had it coming.

Keep your semi-atheism for when you are in your own space and paying your bills.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by jesmond3945: 10:23pm On Jul 18, 2019
We struggle with our beliefs at some point, because it doesnt have to make sense and the Nigeria religious is the worst globally, I can attest to that. Op I would ask you to leave religion and get to have a realtionship with Jesus. I would stop here for now.

2 Likes

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Your Christian family won't accept your semi-atheism and shouldn't have to, the same way you've chosen to reject their Christianity and Christian practices.

1 Like

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by hopefulLandlord: 8:29am On Jul 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Eating mummy thank you,

Then you had it coming.

Keep your semi-atheism for when you are in your own space and paying your bills.
OP, this!

1 Like

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by Acidosis(m): 8:46am On Jul 19, 2019
theButterfly:
Your Christian family won't accept your semi-atheism and shouldn't have to, the same way you've chosen to reject their Christianity and Christian practices.

Absolutely.

Why should your family accept your semi (whatever that means) atheism, when you reject their Jesus?

Are you Okay?
Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by Grupo(m): 9:40am On Jul 19, 2019
Acidosis:

Absolutely.

Why should your family accept your semi (whatever that means) atheism, when you reject their Jesus?

Are you Okay?

He did not reject his family. He only rejected their belief.

So, his family should reject his belief, but not him.

1 Like

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by ibkayee(f): 10:50am On Jul 19, 2019
As long as you aren’t forcing it down their throats/displaying it in their household I don’t see any issue with you believing what ever you want to believe and not wanting to go to church etc. But for the sake of peace I’d just keep it to myself if I were you and go along to their church services/events until you’re no longer under their roof.

2 Likes

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by lilmax(m): 11:25am On Jul 19, 2019
lol

pack out and practice your atheism

no dey do atheism for Christian house

imagine eating mummy's food and using daddy's money to buy data yet claiming atheist grin

2 Likes

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by Karleb(m): 2:11pm On Jul 19, 2019
Keep going to church. You don't necessarily have to attend all the services like you used to.

1 Like

Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by Richy4(m): 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Eating mummy thank you,

Then you had it coming.

Wow!! Straight to the Point.. And from the heart too.. no garnishing whatsoever smiley
Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by hopefulLandlord: 3:30pm On Jul 19, 2019
I'm impressed with the posts here
Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by sirvvy: 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2019
I don't understand which one is semi-atheist undecided
Re: Agony Of A Semi-atheist In A Christian Family by hopefulLandlord: 4:38pm On Jul 19, 2019
sirvvy:
I don't understand which one is semi-atheist undecided

I guess he either means he's agnostic or irreligious

(1) (Reply)

A Juice Company Needs Distributors Nationwide / Many Men Are Afraid Of Women Nagging / Ladies Doing Wig And Weavon Businesses, Please I Need Your Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.