Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,095 members, 7,946,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 04:35 AM

How I Saved Onyali – Canada Coach ! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How I Saved Onyali – Canada Coach ! (728 Views)

Mentioning Messi Saved My Life, Says Argentine Kidnapped In Nigeria / 10 Things You Did Not Know Vincent Enyeama Has Saved..(must Read)+pic / .:. Louis Van Gaal Is New Super Eagles Coach .:. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Saved Onyali – Canada Coach ! by wales(m): 4:42pm On Oct 15, 2010
Canada athletics coach Carla Nicholls on Sunday played a critical role in saving the life of Nigerian long jumper Comfort Onyali, who suffered a seizure and collapsed at 60,000-seat Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Delhi, India.

Nicholls and a television cameraman, both of whom were trained in first aid, eventually revived Onyali before she was taken away on a stretcher.

She was discharged from hospital without requiring an extended stay, although details of the diagnosis are not publicly known.

”I coached two medals and saved a life in one evening,‘‘ Nicholls told The Gazette on Tuesday in Delhi, India, shortly before beginning her journey back to Canada.

”I was standing on the track coaching when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

”I turned around and there was this young girl standing there, crying.‘‘

It was Onyali.

”She introduced herself and then gave me a big hug and thanked me,‘‘ Nicholls continued. ”Then her coach came and thanked me as well. That was kind of cool.‘‘

Nicholls was alerted to Onyali‘s situation by the cameraman - whose first name is Happy - when he began calling for help. Onyali had suffered a seizure and was not breathing.

Nicholls was able to open Onyali‘s airways by holding her jaw with both hands. The cameraman performed artificial respiration, which was required three times before Onyali‘s condition began to improve.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2010101513405826
Re: How I Saved Onyali – Canada Coach ! by wales(m): 4:42pm On Oct 15, 2010
Glory be to God this did not happen to her in Nigeria, she would have died even at the best of our hospitals because the butchers who call themselves doctors will not know what to do if they are around, or at worst, they will be on strike. God help Nigeria.Many of them who don’t know what to do have joined politics.SHAME TO A Nation and her professionals.

(1) (Reply)

Siasia Targets Brazil 2014 Semi-Final Place / Ayc: Nigeria Still Cheats - Amiesimaka / Cote D' Ivoire 3 - 3 Brazil : Nigeria Silent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.