Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:54 AM

Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records (30224 Views)

Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Oboh Emmanuel: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Depression / Items OAU Student Stole From The School Hostel (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 04, 2019
Randy100:
Committing suicide over English course.
No course is easy in OAU. English is among the most dangerous course
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 04, 2019
grandstar:
I won't be surprised if she gained admission through cheating. That can only account for her poor grades. I doubt it was due to excessive partying and so on.

You need not take your life.
you are a bastard. This is OAU! No one cares how intelligent you are, you would be humbled. it is very inhumane of you tobsayvsuch. you can't even cheat to get into OAU. never. everyone there is a genius, I can say this anywhere. Those sadist of lecturer would reduce you to nothing. May it never b well with oau lecturers frustrating students

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 04, 2019
KingWarri:
Frustration ke If you study hard I don't see why you won't get good grades
oau is not delsu or uniben.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by deepwater(f): 9:04am On Aug 04, 2019
otipoju:
That stupid Akande and Adeoti don show dem pepper

Do u mean dr akande
The guy with 1st class since the 80s or so?

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by papyskinsy: 9:07am On Aug 04, 2019
KingWarri:

Frustration ke
If you study hard I don't see why you won't get good grades

baba u don't get my point.. studying hard is one thing.. learning hw to cope with the academic furstrating lifestyle is another.. yu must learn hw to balance de 2..
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Timba24(m): 9:09am On Aug 04, 2019
looking at some people comments, i just dey laugh. Do u know what is call depression. I just pray u shouldnt encounter it in ur lives mostly especially if u are a student in OAU. Some lecturers just lyk to derive pain from students in dat school. Now, to the lady dat committed sucide, she shouldnt have done it instead she should have seek advice from matured people dat can handle her depression well.. For those dat do not knw OAU, ask ur friends dat graduated from OAU which department do they call department of tears beside electrical and electronics department, they will tell you because dat department can frustrate and kill you if u are not strong emotionally.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by ufotty2001: 9:16am On Aug 04, 2019
ednut1:
At least sell your kidney first . Enjoy for like 4 years den commit suicide na . Big fool. For country wey first class never see job
I graduated with 2:1 and also a qualified chartered Accountant ICAN... But up till now have not use my certificate to work not that d opportunity not there but I prefer to do what I love doing than to work under someone..
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Timba24(m): 9:24am On Aug 04, 2019
grandstar:
I won't be surprised if she gained admission through cheating. That can only account for her poor grades. I doubt it was due to excessive partying and so on.

ur comment doesnt make sense. Just ask anybody how OAU runs it academics, u will know dat there is nothing like social life. If u also check it out, OAU is d second most religious tertiary institution in west african because u will see people praying everyday morning, afternoon, evening, night and midnight just to have a good grade. Also, u said she cheated in gaining admission. Sorry to say, u are wrong. It takes the grace of God to gain admission into dat and also graduate from dat school.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Stakeholders(m): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2019
jojo1415:
Buhari's govt is de worst govt Nigeria will ever have.... God punish APC and Tinubu!!!!!

Grow up man, you don't need this

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by deltateam: 9:30am On Aug 04, 2019
Soljaboi44:
Suicide is never an option...
Rest In Peace Childhood friend
#Opeyemi cry

Where were you when she was down? Now you are forming childhood friend. Nonsense.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by jaxxy(m): 9:39am On Aug 04, 2019
Very wrong decision. Success is beyond ur degree. It’s is majorly a factor of ur determination, will and foresight.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by smartspeakerz: 9:47am On Aug 04, 2019
May her soul rest in peace.

"University system is to teach wisdom, not trade, character not technicalities" Winston Churchill.

If an institution makes the curriculum extremely technical for majority to decipher, the purpose is unjustified.

For every level across an institution, they assign level counselors, there job is to invite low grade students to their office, motivate,advice and show better opportunity to the students struggling with academics, does something like that exist in OAU, if not, it should be implemented.

I suffered such risk as well,if you haven't faced not graduating while your colleagues are leaving, you have little understanding of what she passed through, she couldn't stand the threshold, and no one could notice that she is suffocating till she decided to let go..

I was unable to graduate among 24 students, only ME, left behind, I failed. Failure is a necessity sometimes to bring the fire for success in you. I was out of this world for some months, I just walk about like a living dead,I had to pray for strength cos I have a great public image on campus, editor-in-chief, faculty of science, 2 consecutive years and produced magazine for the faculty containing 12 departments, so the failure was with a loud sound.

Our counsellor were not doing their job,so I broke but never to let go, I hate defeat but for those insulting the dead of not reading, have you encountered being blank in exam hall after reading a lot consistently, there is more hidden that you can't tell,just sympathize and move on.

Failure ain't a good meal but a necessity to acquire a strong dream, my failure thought me that cos God gave me strength and now a lecturer, and a motivational speaker, no student that follow my words ever fell victim of failure till date and I keep inspiring them..

"Any fact facing you is as important as your attitude towards it, that determine your success or failure" Norman Vincent.

If you are reading this, failure might come any day, please be prepared, its either you're reformed or scattered, pray to God for the former, and only those that have failed with a loud noise can advise better not those that read about failure, you can't feel it deeply.

U r too precious to let go, God create everyone for a purpose, sit and ponder on yours, more reason some do well in businesses than academics, what you sulk in might be what someone else triumph over easily, check out for your purpose..you must NOT DIE.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by ajayiopy: 9:50am On Aug 04, 2019
Leetee123:
The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, in Osun State has been thrown to mourning following the death of a student identified as Opeyemi Grace Dara.

The deceased who was in the Department of English and Literature was said to have committed suicide after a dose of lethal substance popularly known as snipper.

Although the details of the incident were still sketchy, our correspondent learnt that she took her life following the poor academic performance.

But the authorities of the institution confirmed that the deceased committed suicide due to depression occasioned by poor academic records.

A copy of her academic records obtained from her page on the school portal indicated that she had many outstanding courses.

She was said to be having five outstanding courses and 12 Special Electives.

A source said, “A student in the Department of English and Literature at OAU in Ile-Ife, Opeyemi Grace Dara, whose set finished their final year exams just last semester has committed suicide through the consumption of the notorious snipper on Friday. She was in the last graduating set; however, she had some outstanding courses. The department in mourning mood.”

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of OAU, Segun Olanrewaju, confirmed the incident to our correspondent and promised that the institution would investigate the incident and make its findings public.

He also warned students against taking their lives because of poor academic performance.

https://teevibemedia.com/oau-student-commits-suicide-over-academic-records/
I WONDER WHAT THESE STUDENTS DO WITH INTERNET..SHE NEVER READ ABOUT STEVE JOB,BILL GATE ETC.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 9:52am On Aug 04, 2019
Soljaboi44:
Suicide is never an option...
Rest In Peace Childhood friend
#Opeyemi cry
me sef, I wished I never go to school sef, I saw years spent in school as a waste of time. Secondary school certificate is more than enough. Most business people who have only school cert are more richer than professors.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Proffdada: 9:52am On Aug 04, 2019
thesicilian:

It seems like you guys derive pleasure from insulting other people who are innocently giving their own opinions. What's more surprising is that your comment actually makes no sense (even when we try to ignore the insults) while his own is likely to prevent more people from following the same path of suicide!
the funny thing is they're both on the same page
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 04, 2019
grandstar:

Are you OK?
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by BluntBoy(m): 9:55am On Aug 04, 2019
WIZGUY69:
What's notorious about sniper?
Do these bloggers realize that sniper is some people's business and brand?
They want to spoil business for them.

R.I.P to her though cry

It has become notorious for being used to commit suicide.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 04, 2019
KingWarri:

Frustration ke
If you study hard I don't see why you won't get good grades
You haven't seen experienced frustration from lecturers especially the demigods. Even if you study hard, they find ways to reduce your grades
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by loverboy442: 10:02am On Aug 04, 2019
EbukaHades10:
Wetin she gain now?
only the long sword headed people would do this
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by WIZGUY69(m): 10:03am On Aug 04, 2019
BluntBoy:

It has become notorious for being used to commit suicide.

It doesn't justify the reason to call sniper notorious.
That's another man's hustle Bro.
The intention why sniper is made is to kill rodents and other nuisance not to be use as a tool to commit suicide.
The reason why people commit suicide is to be tackled, not tue tool used in doing the act.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by okewumi: 10:07am On Aug 04, 2019
Rip to her

Assuming she Nairalander, may be she wouldn't have commit suicide.

Why?

Nairaland has really help a lot. They post stories of people that failed in school and later succeed. You will see people sharing their testimony on how they came out with third class or 2.2 and later great in life. I have read story of a student union guy that was rusticated in Nigeria and later later went to UK and came out with first class.

If you plan to take your life again, please don't do so.

Many of us had rough beginning but today, God is faithful. If you sleep on your own and wake in the morning without using artificial oxygen then you must take it easy.

Note: some have never use their good result to work in a day and yet they are doing fine.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by rosy1992(f): 10:15am On Aug 04, 2019
failure isn't the end of the world.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by encryptjay(m): 10:19am On Aug 04, 2019
The way student A will take failure is not the same way student B will take failure. It can be depressing but you just have to find a way out and also talk to someone. Just small counseling could have changed this.
Course advisors should try to get close to some students who are not doing too well and guide them instead of allowing the situation get extreme.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Okoroawusa: 10:24am On Aug 04, 2019
I can relate with her...I nearly committed suicide myself over academic performance.

She was at that level of seeing "nothingness" as we say in Existentialism in philosophy.

What a pity...She took the easy way out.
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Okoroawusa: 10:31am On Aug 04, 2019
camobri:
No course is easy in OAU. English is among the most dangerous course
English departments r no go areas in Nigerian universities.

English hard abeg!
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Alaniolawale: 10:31am On Aug 04, 2019
May her soul rest in perfect peace!! Nigerian which way na!

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Xone3(f): 10:36am On Aug 04, 2019
otipoju:
That stupid Akande and Adeoti don show dem pepper
Stylistics can make you mad self.

Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Alaniolawale: 10:41am On Aug 04, 2019
R I P
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by tfash96(m): 10:44am On Aug 04, 2019
If possible they should just delete this so called OAU and rebuild it as airport so we can have airport too in osun state..I'm a graduate of this same english and literature in English dept OAU.. The useless dept is full of sadists.. They derive Joy in failing students.. No matter how u read at the end of everything u will be looking at yourself as dumb student when ur result came out.. This one they said dept are mourning them is a big lie.. Those useless things that will still sleep with students... I don't wanna say much but they should just dismantle that school
Re: Opeyemi Grace Dara: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Records by Xone3(f): 10:46am On Aug 04, 2019
grandstar:

Wrong mentality. I finished from OAU English department with a 2:2. English seems easy but it is one of the complicated courses. The frustration is real, calculating your G.P is hmmmm, passing with E is a thing of Joy. I never had a bad experience with lecturers because I read likey life depended on it, I was always in my hostel, but I came out with 2:2

Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu / Strange Origin Of 9 Everyday Objects We Use / New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49